[I] Italy | road infrastructure • strade e autostrade - Page 559 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2019, 05:45 PM   #11161
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
Be careful because some Italian rental car companies prohibit to drive the rented car out of the country. Or others allow only to drive within former EU-15 countries (thus excluding Slovenia).

When I visited Slovenia, I flew from Spain to Trieste and rented a car there. I was about to book it in "Sicily by car", when last minute I checked it and found out I couldn't go to Slovenia with a car from that company (ridiculous taking into account that Trieste Airport is located less than 10 km away from the Slovenian border ). Anyway, I finally rented it in Sixt and had no problem.
LOL!

Car is the only issue remained but I was decided for Sixt indeed. I asked and nobody told me why Mestre office is not available and P.Roma in Venice will open in October (as said by phone), therefore, only airport remains possible. for renting with this company.

As they say, no problem for all EU and other countries for small and medium cars except someones... One out of them is VW (Does anyone guess why it is forbidden to take out VW cars and not Renault, for instance). Issue is... C class for renting in Italy for that company is... VW Polo, thus I should have to write to ask another C class car because wanting to cross border.

Thx for info

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2019, 05:53 PM   #11162
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 25369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
Even google maps mentions "zone at restricted access" when you setup to go to a ZTL.

Anyways just stay away from city cores, if you go there check there are no "no entry" signs. South of Rome ZTL are almost nonexistant, the most famous with foreigners is the Florence ZTL, almost all foreigners get a fine.
Many cities there have ZTLs, some of them are quite big (eg Palermo)
Old May 23rd, 2019, 05:55 PM   #11163
Suburbanist
on the road

On the automatic-payment fuel pumps: something annoying is that, in some countries that require you to 'pre-pay at the pump', the they will place a hold in your card/account for something like 70 L-worth of fuel, and then refund you the difference after your actual amount is known. Sometimes this is cleared within seconds, but for whatever reason, in some cases debit cards used in that manner have full amount withdrawn from account and then it takes up to 10 days for the refund to be returned.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 05:55 PM   #11164
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Lol, Venice too, doesn't it?

BTW, how "strict" are ZLT?

Old May 23rd, 2019, 05:59 PM   #11165
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
On the automatic-payment fuel pumps: something annoying is that, in some countries that require you to 'pre-pay at the pump', the they will place a hold in your card/account for something like 70 L-worth of fuel, and then refund you the difference after your actual amount is known. Sometimes this is cleared within seconds, but for whatever reason, in some cases debit cards used in that manner have full amount withdrawn from account and then it takes up to 10 days for the refund to be returned.

I just talk about my homecity.
Three options

- Ask for an amount and will fill up to that quantity. Should it be over, they will cash all and return difference (for instance, you pay for 60 but you have only for 40 euro capacity)
- The same way but they cash exactly amount. There's no difference except in your credit card bill (+60-20 instead of +40 only)
- no refund, only seen in one petrol station I haven't gone again.

Option to book credit card and pay from mobile is quite useful because you just drive, point the machine number and, for instance, I pointed by default, 60 euro for each car.

And... I noticed one thing about these payments. Machines offers multi languages, therefore easier for foreing drivers.

Old May 23rd, 2019, 07:42 PM   #11166
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
And... I noticed one thing about these payments. Machines offers multi languages, therefore easier for foreing drivers.
This is indeed helpful.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 08:25 PM   #11167
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 3176

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Lol, Venice too, doesn't it?

BTW, how "strict" are ZLT?
It widely depends on the city.

The one in Turin is ridiculous, only active between 7h30 and 10h30.

Others (Milan, Brescia to mention the ones I know better) are much more serious. All access controlled by cameras.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 08:26 PM   #11168
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
It never happened to me, Italy, France, Germany or Spain.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 08:44 PM   #11169
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It never happened to me, Italy, France, Germany or Spain.
It happened to me, several times, with my Dutch-issued debit bankcard at gas stations with pump card readers in France and also in Portugal. My bank at the time (ABN Amro) even told me back then that the problem was known, but normal operating procedure.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 09:19 PM   #11170
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 25023

I also had it happen in France one time (A31 Langres). They withheld € 150 for several days before refunding the difference.

travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 09:45 PM   #11171
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 992

ZTL in Mestre:

http://avm.avmspa.it/it/content/le-z...ro-di-mestre-0
http://avm.avmspa.it/sites/default/f...VM_mappa_1.png

It's quite small.

In Venice... no reason to go there by car

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Autobahn-mann liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 11:41 PM   #11172
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I also had it happen in France one time (A31 Langres). They withheld € 150 for several days before refunding the difference.
I was used to a petrol station that you may point quantity in euro but with "full" option too.

May you push "full" they really set 120 euro, you will fill and will receive refund of difference until 120 euro.

There's no problem in that way except that you may have 120 euro of credit in your card (otherwise, exact amount, just dial 40, 50, 60...)

Old May 24th, 2019, 12:56 PM   #11173
Stuu

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
Be careful because some Italian rental car companies prohibit to drive the rented car out of the country. Or others allow only to drive within former EU-15 countries (thus excluding Slovenia).
How is that possibly legal? I would have thought that the restriction would have to be either only in Italy, or anywhere in the EU
Stuu está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 01:08 PM   #11174
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuu View Post
How is that possibly legal? I would have thought that the restriction would have to be either only in Italy, or anywhere in the EU
It depends on the insurance. In order to save money, they have insurances valid only within Italy.
It happened to me once, we rented a car for a conference in Ljubljana, we told the rental company we had to go abroad, but only after arriving there we realized that the insurance wasn't valid...
Old May 24th, 2019, 09:07 PM   #11175
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

The issue is how to deal between assurance companies. They have protocoles but they have a cost. Some of them prefer not to deal with foreing companies and other ones doesn't mind... or middle-way, they set an extra fare.

It is issue of business.

As an example, I regarded, taking a rented car out of Italy was easier and cheaper (some companies have fees but cheaper) than in my country, not so much but cheaper.

The issue is... should you are one metre away from border and it is another officer who takes the procedure, you do not have assurance!!

Old May 25th, 2019, 12:47 AM   #11176
Stuu

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It depends on the insurance. In order to save money, they have insurances valid only within Italy.
It happened to me once, we rented a car for a conference in Ljubljana, we told the rental company we had to go abroad, but only after arriving there we realized that the insurance wasn't valid...
Of course, I understand about having insurance only valid in Italy. But I'm surprised a company can get away with treating other members of the EU differently - I don't see how that can be possible
Stuu está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 04:59 PM   #11177
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Of course, I understand about having insurance only valid in Italy. But I'm surprised a company can get away with treating other members of the EU differently - I don't see how that can be possible

An international deal for an accident can be a nightmare for some assurances. They have their protocoles but they can say...
"no problem with green car but no green card and your assurance is cheaper"... and it could be customer decission.

Old May 26th, 2019, 01:35 PM   #11178
MattiG
The Road and Map Geek

Likes (Received): 955

Quote:
Of course, it is possible. Private companies have no obligation to treat all EU countries in a similar way. Such obligations apply to public organizations only.

The car rental companies tend to have restrictions (or surcharges) on driving abroad. The same applies to trade: Quite many shops selling their goods over Amazon Germany refrain from delivering outside Germany.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 02:59 PM   #11179
Suburbanist
on the road

It is very common among major rental car companies (Hertz, Sixt, Avis) to forbid taking certain cars rented elsewhere in Western Europe into Eastern European countries and also, for sports cars and very high end models, also into Italy. Or you can take these cars in Italy but pay a much higher theft deductible.
Old May 27th, 2019, 05:24 PM   #11180
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Of course, it is possible. Private companies have no obligation to treat all EU countries in a similar way. Such obligations apply to public organizations only.

The car rental companies tend to have restrictions (or surcharges) on driving abroad. The same applies to trade: Quite many shops selling their goods over Amazon Germany refrain from delivering outside Germany.

Of course. Assurance companies offer a treat to deal with other countries. They have their protocoles to make easy to deal within EU and sometimes other extra countries. But it can be a plus and they can offer a cheapest price if you do not require it.

Other times, it is cheaper to offer by default.

Quote:
It is very common among major rental car companies (Hertz, Sixt, Avis) to forbid taking certain cars rented elsewhere in Western Europe into Eastern European countries and also, for sports cars and very high end models, also into Italy. Or you can take these cars in Italy but pay a much higher theft deductible.
I glanced Sixt. Based in Italy (I could glance in more countries), small and medium cars for all EU and some extra Eastern countries. For upper models, only EU (and cases like CH, etc...).

Several cars are allowed only in Italy. I do not know why (maybe foreing road assistance or so)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways