CEG: Southbank | 40, 25 and 17 storeys | hybrid planning app 17/06455/FU - Page 29 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2019, 09:01 AM   #561
shed7

Likes (Received): 4796

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomleeds View Post
BAM have been appointed as contractors for the first phase of this.

Contractor revealed for £350m city district regeneration

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/york...t-regeneration

Quote:
The developer CEG has named a contractor for phase one of its £350m developments in the South Bank, Leeds.

The news of BAM Construction’s appointment was announced yesterday evening at the launch of Temple. When complete, Temple will comprise a new district within the city centre, playing an important role in regenerating this part of Leeds.

Temple includes the 8.69 acre sites near Water Lane and Globe Road. CEG secured planning permission for these areas last year.
It also takes in the currently disused, historic grade one listed Temple Mill, which was bought in early 2018.
It will feature a 38,000 sq ft office building with retail and leisure facilities on its ground floor.

BAM is due to start building the offices at Globe Point in early 2020. A second office building, which also already has detailed planning permission, could be brought forward at the same time, with agents Fox Lloyd Jones and Knight Frank now identifying occupiers.

This second property would feature 138,168 sq ft of space, with ground floor retail and leisure provision.

CEG has outline planning permission for additional development of up to 1.1m sq ft of offices, shops, cafes, restaurants, bars, hotel and up to 750 new homes. This would include outdoor plazas and green spaces.

The overall scheme was launched at a well-attended gathering in the Leeds Hilton Double Tree Hotel yesterday evening.

Guests had a chance to “visit” Temple Mill using virtual reality headsets, thanks to design and engineering firm Arup.

They were addressed by CEG Development Director Nick Lee, CEG Head of Strategic Development David Hodgson, and Leeds City Council leader Councillor Judith Blake.

Hodgson emphasised CEG’s long-term commitment to this part of Leeds, explaining how the developments would improve connectivity between the South Bank, the city centre and Leeds Railway Station.

Cllr Blake said: “The South Bank is probably the largest area of regeneration in Europe at the moment. The potential here is huge.

“We’re looking at doubling the size of the city centre, as well as creating new access to the river. We don’t make enough of the river in Leeds.

“The scheme recognises that this part of Leeds was the beating heart of the Industrial Revolution in the North. We have the opportunity to put the South Bank back to where it needs to be – right in the centre of Leeds.”

Stressing the importance of being inclusive, she added: “Yes we want people to come to Leeds, we want businesses to thrive and to have the jobs for the future developed here.

“But we also want people in Leeds to recognise that they have a responsibility to reach out to people in our communities who are not benefiting from the success which many of our businesses are creating.”

Old September 26th, 2019, 05:55 PM   #562
Loiner's Girders
Back home

Likes (Received): 1629

I'm sure it was you who posted a fabulous shot along Hunslet Road from some bygone era where the previous building here was included. I'd have to trawl for that though.
Loiner's Girders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 08:28 PM   #563
Ttebroc

Likes (Received): 2390

Slung Low Theatre are collecting stories about Holbeck with the most interesting being presented at a ‘special event’ on the 15th of January - might also be a ‘spade in the ground’ PR event before they start on site?

Junction41 liked this post
Ttebroc está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 09:03 PM   #564
tigerman

Likes (Received): 7125

Nice to have a contractor appointed - always seems to be good sign. However CEGs recorded of starting schemes is barely a step up from some of the worst developers we have seen, so its boots on the ground I need to see.
Old September 27th, 2019, 09:24 AM   #565
shed7

CEG starting on the 38,000 sqft office is welcome but rather pitiful, that is a tiny amount of space.

Last edited by shed7; September 27th, 2019 at 10:12 AM.
shed7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 10:20 AM   #566
Ttebroc

Likes (Received): 2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by shed7 View Post
CEG starting on the 38,000 sqft office is welcome but rather pitiful, that is a tiny amount of space.
Well it is a small building from the plans I've seen, mainly due to the easement needed for for the Beck.

If they're doing this speculatively, without a building on the ground I imagine it is hard to get any big prospective tenants lined up for larger buildings, hence starting with the smallest (and cheapest) building to give some confidence in their ability to actually deliver and really compete with the offering at Wellington Place?

Speaking of, didn't Wellington Place start with No. 10 which is only 34,000 sqft? A bit of that old adage 'don't run before you can walk'...

Westcumbria, this_city liked this post
Ttebroc está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 10:44 AM   #567
shed7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttebroc View Post
Well it is a small building from the plans I've seen, mainly due to the easement needed for for the Beck.

If they're doing this speculatively, without a building on the ground I imagine it is hard to get any big prospective tenants lined up for larger buildings, hence starting with the smallest (and cheapest) building to give some confidence in their ability to actually deliver and really compete with the offering at Wellington Place?

Speaking of, didn't Wellington Place start with No. 10 which is only 34,000 sqft? A bit of that old adage 'don't run before you can walk'...
10WP started shortly after the height of the financial crash. 38,000sqft is ridiculously small and nothing to trumpet about, IMHO of course.
Old September 27th, 2019, 10:51 AM   #568
LeedsLad

Likes (Received): 631

Given its location as mentioned above I think its excellent news. This has been an industrial wasteland for decades...

The streetscape will be transformed here. Also I guess its likely this will offer new office space to smaller clients, a need not being met by other developments at present.

Can't wait for this one as it'll really kick on the development of Holbeck.

Take a look on Google Street View as to how this site looks today.

tomleeds liked this post
LeedsLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 11:00 AM   #569
tomleeds

Likes (Received): 1837

It would be nice for them to start building something, even if it is only 38k sq ft!

Austin_rothwell liked this post
tomleeds está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 01:00 PM   #570
Junction41

Likes (Received): 210

There does still seem to be an awful lot of caution in Leeds. Even if we praise Wellington Place, it's been going on for over a decade and it's only half complete.

CEG must be pleasantly surprised with all the other activity in Holbeck, I bet they would have thought they would be the catalyst, but other developers seem confident enough to crack on which is a good sign.
Junction41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 03:46 PM   #571
LS16

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
10WP started shortly after the height of the financial crash. 38,000sqft is ridiculously small and nothing to trumpet about, IMHO of course.
But it was only a few weeks ago you suggested (I think) that it would be "madness" for anyone to invest in Leeds during the current economic uncertainty. Kudos then to CEG - or perhaps more importantly the scheme's investors - if they have given the green light to proceed on the first phase of this scheme. It's exactly what's needed to show confidence and the more trumpeting the better as far as I'm concerned.
LS16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 05:10 PM   #572
shed7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS16 View Post
But it was only a few weeks ago you suggested (I think) that it would be "madness" for anyone to invest in Leeds during the current economic uncertainty. Kudos then to CEG - or perhaps more importantly the scheme's investors - if they have given the green light to proceed on the first phase of this scheme. It's exactly what's needed to show confidence and the more trumpeting the better as far as I'm concerned.
I stand by what I say, if there is a no deal brexit, i'll be surprised if this starts in early 2020. You may not recall but when the credit crunch kicked off in 2007 MEPC said initially it wouldn't derail the development of 8WP (which was the first building of the revised WP masterplan to be developed) at all. It did.
Old September 27th, 2019, 05:19 PM   #573
LS16

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
I stand by what I say, if there is a no deal brexit, i'll be surprised if this starts in early 2020. You may not recall but when the credit crunch kicked off in 2007 MEPC said initially it wouldn't derail the development of 8WP (which was the first building of the revised WP masterplan to be developed) at all. It did.
Perhaps and you may be right. But if you do think that, I'm still not sure why you are so down on them for bringing forward a modest scheme as the first phase. It seems an entirely logical and sensible first move based on your own outlook.
LS16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement