The Butts | Mixed-Use | 11fl - Page 9 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Coventry Developments

Coventry Developments Proposals and Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #161
Scazmattaz
London Based

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
Not really... It's a Coventry thread... Not that there's much else going on and Jags has been giving us hints of a new music venue...

Apparently, Starbucks are looking to open up more branches in the city centre.
I heard about Starbucks too, maybe they'll take one of the units at Earlsdon Park?

Last edited by Scazmattaz; March 18th, 2008 at 04:43 PM.
Scazmattaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #162
rottersclub

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scazmattaz View Post
I heard about Starbucks too, maybe they'll take one of the units at Earlsdon Park?
That'd be interesting. As it's local(ish) to me, I'm all for the good stuff in Earlsdon Park! Although it's very much a down at heel area around the Butts - lots of students (Both Unis) though, and an affluent population just up the road in Earlsdon proper.
rottersclub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #163
stig1982
stig1982

Likes (Received): 13

Don't see what all the fuss is about Starbucks to be honest. It's simple - Coventry is approximately the 11th largest biggest city in England and it has a very diverse and cosmopolitan population (not to mention the student element). Of course places like Starbucks are going to be successful. Shame on the 6-figure pay cheque corporate figures within the company's ranks for not recognising the potential sooner, if you ask me.

Look at the Subways chain - there was only the one in the Burges around 10 years ago and now there's at least 3 more in the city centre alone (High Street, Bull Yard, Cox Street) not to mention those outside the ring road area.

Same with John Lewis. Bollocks to the 'Coventry's not good enough' attitude of those in charge. The fact is that the store would be successful wherever it was located in the city centre and whichever building (no matter how dated and architecturally boring) it was located in. The high population and large catchment area alone would ensure its success.
stig1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #164
stig1982
stig1982

Quote:
Not really... It's a Coventry thread... Not that there's much else going on and Jags has been giving us hints of a new music venue...

Apparently, Starbucks are looking to open up more branches in the city centre.
Hmm... funny... thought this was a forum for discussion on city centre regeneration and construction, not food and shopping habits. Silly me!
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #165
rottersclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig1982 View Post
Hmm... funny... thought this was a forum for discussion on city centre regeneration and construction, not food and shopping habits. Silly me!
Ooopx, I'm getting my threads mixed up.
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #166
rottersclub

Quote:
Ooopx, I'm getting my threads mixed up.
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #167
rottersclub

Quote:
Don't see what all the fuss is about Starbucks to be honest. It's simple - Coventry is approximately the 11th largest biggest city in England and it has a very diverse and cosmopolitan population (not to mention the student element). Of course places like Starbucks are going to be successful. Shame on the 6-figure pay cheque corporate figures within the company's ranks for not recognising the potential sooner, if you ask me.

Look at the Subways chain - there was only the one in the Burges around 10 years ago and now there's at least 3 more in the city centre alone (High Street, Bull Yard, Cox Street) not to mention those outside the ring road area.

Same with John Lewis. Bollocks to the 'Coventry's not good enough' attitude of those in charge. The fact is that the store would be successful wherever it was located in the city centre and whichever building (no matter how dated and architecturally boring) it was located in. The high population and large catchment area alone would ensure its success.
It's totally pathetic that Starbucks took so long to get into Coventry - but there are reasons for that, and there are reasons why Allders ended up as Primark & not John Lewis, and reasons why Betfred and Ladbrokes appear to be springing up all over the city centre - along with other downmarket fast food chains like Subway and more pound stores.

John Lewis execs aren't stupid - there's a world of difference between a small coffee shop and a huge department store, and the statistics from people like CACI show how woeful the retail spend is in Coventry. I wouldn't risk millions on a store knowing that I was going to be getting the footfall of a small town through it. It just doesn't make sense.

If the Allders building was so desirable the other department store chains would have been bidding for it. The sad fact is that they weren't interested.

What you have to realise (And what the council have realised) is that they've got to stop flogging the dead horse. Coventry is an unfortunate position in that it's got strong competition - Solihull with a large wealthy population, Brum with all the major stores, Leamington with a far more diverse range of stores, and even Nuneaton. And add this to the shopping developments in Coventry itself... And the fact that Coventry's a fairly undesirable place at the moment.
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #168
skybluecity

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
It's totally pathetic that Starbucks took so long to get into Coventry - but there are reasons for that, and there are reasons why Allders ended up as Primark & not John Lewis, and reasons why Betfred and Ladbrokes appear to be springing up all over the city centre - along with other downmarket fast food chains like Subway and more pound stores.

John Lewis execs aren't stupid - there's a world of difference between a small coffee shop and a huge department store, and the statistics from people like CACI show how woeful the retail spend is in Coventry. I wouldn't risk millions on a store knowing that I was going to be getting the footfall of a small town through it. It just doesn't make sense.

If the Allders building was so desirable the other department store chains would have been bidding for it. The sad fact is that they weren't interested.

What you have to realise (And what the council have realised) is that they've got to stop flogging the dead horse. Coventry is an unfortunate position in that it's got strong competition - Solihull with a large wealthy population, Brum with all the major stores, Leamington with a far more diverse range of stores, and even Nuneaton. And add this to the shopping developments in Coventry itself... And the fact that Coventry's a fairly undesirable place at the moment.
undesirable in what sense? from a shopping point of view? well yes you're right of course. as a place to live and work i'd say it is pretty desirable though. plenty of jobs and more high profile relocations to come i suspect - and we appear to have a healthy population growth. there's also been a lot of good press about coventry recently.

as far a john lewis is concerned, i'd say it is very much a chicken and egg situation. does the poor retail spend have more to do with demographics or the lack of choice? retail spend won't increase significantly UNTIL we get an upmarket department store and such like - but how do we convince them to take the plunge? well, providing them with a suitable building is a start, and i'm sure the council have that very much in mind with their redevelopment plans.

coventry has very low unemployment, and a very high average wage when compared to the rest of the region. the fact that many of the high earners choose to live in warks, and those that don't choose to shop elsewhere is the crux of the problem. we need to get them to shop in coventry, but the offering is so poor that you can understand why they don't. the type of stores that might lure them back won't set up here because the type of people they want shop elswhere. chicken and egg. the council understand this i feel, so lets hope their gamble pays off.

i've never really brought into this idea that certain upmarket chains will 'never come to coventry'. who'd have thought that 2 years ago radisson edwardian would have chosen coventry as the location for their first hotel outside london and manchester? they will come if the development is right. so much is restin g on jerde and what they come up with. let's hope they get it right.
skybluecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #169
rottersclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluecity View Post
undesirable in what sense? from a shopping point of view? well yes you're right of course. as a place to live and work i'd say it is pretty desirable though. plenty of jobs and more high profile relocations to come i suspect - and we appear to have a healthy population growth. there's also been a lot of good press about coventry recently.

as far a john lewis is concerned, i'd say it is very much a chicken and egg situation. does the poor retail spend have more to do with demographics or the lack of choice? retail spend won't increase significantly UNTIL we get an upmarket department store and such like - but how do we convince them to take the plunge? well, providing them with a suitable building is a start, and i'm sure the council have that very much in mind with their redevelopment plans.

coventry has very low unemployment, and a very high average wage when compared to the rest of the region. the fact that many of the high earners choose to live in warks, and those that don't choose to shop elsewhere is the crux of the problem. we need to get them to shop in coventry, but the offering is so poor that you can understand why they don't. the type of stores that might lure them back won't set up here because the type of people they want shop elswhere. chicken and egg. the council understand this i feel, so lets hope their gamble pays off.

i've never really brought into this idea that certain upmarket chains will 'never come to coventry'. who'd have thought that 2 years ago radisson edwardian would have chosen coventry as the location for their first hotel outside london and manchester? they will come if the development is right. so much is restin g on jerde and what they come up with. let's hope they get it right.
I agree with the rest of your points - something had to give, and the "master plan" is vital.

As for desirable - it's on different levels? Talk to people who are from outside Coventry and hear what their perceptions are. They're not good, and Coventry has huge problems with its housing stock.
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #170
stig1982
stig1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluecity View Post

Interesting points - and I agree. I hate to repeatedly use John Lewis as an example, but if a store did open in Coventry I have no doubt that it would be successful. The economic and demographic climate is right - it just needs one high profile retail chain to take a gamble and locate here, then watch it pay off. There is substantial wealth across Coventry and its sub regions, but as has been pointed out above, people choose (or are forced) to shop elsewhere.
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #171
Chris H

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I agree with the rest of your points - something had to give, and the "master plan" is vital.

As for desirable - it's on different levels? Talk to people who are from outside Coventry and hear what their perceptions are. They're not good, and Coventry has huge problems with its housing stock.

Yes, there is a major disparity im Coventry, that of there being plenty of jobs and relatively low unemployment for such a populous city (and increasingly better salaries too), but this is couple with the poor housing stock and the almost total lack of decent facilties, eateries or quality retail establishments, especially in the city centre. It's all very well that the city attracts well professionals and large organisations, but if there is nothing for these people to do in the city, they will simply commute in from the leafier suburbs or satellitwe towns/villages, and leave again. They will spend there money is conveniently local places such as Solihull, Leamington or even Brum. If you earn decent money, do you really want to spend it while enduring a shitty shopping experience with limited choice in a nasty-looking environment ? People are choosier than ever nowadays and Coventry seemingly gave up years ago on attracting people with decent levels of disposable income, choosing to cater for the pikey market instead. Sounds harsh, but its true...

More than ever, Coventry needs a masterplan which does not once again end being all 'talk talk'. This one simply has to take-off and be followed through without any form of dilution, otherwise another watered-down project will just add to Coventry's woeful tide of retail misery.
Chris H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #172
rottersclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
Yes, there is a major disparity im Coventry, that of there being plenty of jobs and relatively low unemployment for such a populous city (and increasingly better salaries too), but this is couple with the poor housing stock and the almost total lack of decent facilties, eateries or quality retail establishments, especially in the city centre. It's all very well that the city attracts well professionals and large organisations, but if there is nothing for these people to do in the city, they will simply commute in from the leafier suburbs or satellitwe towns/villages, and leave again. They will spend there money is conveniently local places such as Solihull, Leamington or even Brum. If you earn decent money, do you really want to spend it while enduring a shitty shopping experience with limited choice in a nasty-looking environment ? People are choosier than ever nowadays and Coventry seemingly gave up years ago on attracting people with decent levels of disposable income, choosing to cater for the pikey market instead. Sounds harsh, but its true...

More than ever, Coventry needs a masterplan which does not once again end being all 'talk talk'. This one simply has to take-off and be followed through without any form of dilution, otherwise another watered-down project will just add to Coventry's woeful tide of retail misery.
It is a big problem. I can't see that cramming hundreds of houses in places like Radford is going to work.
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #173
stig1982
stig1982

I notice that it seems the proposed tower block behind the old BT tower (now Ramada Hotel) is no longer going ahead. I can't say I'm particularly disappointed. The artists impression wasn't exactly striking - the whole building looked too square and bland for my liking. The picture was of a cube building at ground level with a tower on top - I wasn't convinced! Personally I think that area isn't the best place for sky rises anyway. There are better places around the city centre for tall buildings. If the Butts became an area full of sky rises then it'd mark a barrier between there and Earlsdon, and one of the things I like about the Butts Development is the way it will connect Earlsdon to the city centre better.

As for the Butts development itself, has anyone noticed that progress seems to be quite slow on that site? Certainly from the Spon End side it does - there doesn't appear to be any noticeable difference in height of the construction etc from week to week. Perhaps they're concentrating on the rear of the site (Earlsdon end?)
Old May 10th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #174
rottersclub

Quote:
I notice that it seems the proposed tower block behind the old BT tower (now Ramada Hotel) is no longer going ahead. I can't say I'm particularly disappointed. The artists impression wasn't exactly striking - the whole building looked too square and bland for my liking. The picture was of a cube building at ground level with a tower on top - I wasn't convinced! Personally I think that area isn't the best place for sky rises anyway. There are better places around the city centre for tall buildings. If the Butts became an area full of sky rises then it'd mark a barrier between there and Earlsdon, and one of the things I like about the Butts Development is the way it will connect Earlsdon to the city centre better.

As for the Butts development itself, has anyone noticed that progress seems to be quite slow on that site? Certainly from the Spon End side it does - there doesn't appear to be any noticeable difference in height of the construction etc from week to week. Perhaps they're concentrating on the rear of the site (Earlsdon end?)
The Butts thing does appear to be going slow, but there is a fair amount been done out of sight on the rear.

How do you know the apartments/sport's centre aren't going to happen? I don't read any local newspaper anymore, so I don't really keep up to date with this stuff. I didn't think it would happen, as they've had permission for years and there's been no movement. I didn't mind it. I thought the ground floor stuff with a bar/sport's centre would be good (Especially for the hotel). Not sure about tall buildings creating a barrier - I personally think roads like the Butts are the perfect places for tall-ish landmark buildings.

So that's 3 apartment developments canned? Mmmm, it really does seem as if things have stalled.

Last edited by rottersclub; May 10th, 2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old August 6th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #175
242Assembly

Hi, my first post to this forum.

I currently work close to the new QCA building under construction, it's now higher than the Butts building. Work seems to be gaining some momentum now.
242Assembly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #176
inspired

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242Assembly View Post

I currently work close to the new QCA building under construction, it's now higher than the Butts building. Work seems to be gaining some momentum now.
Welcome to the forum
inspired no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #177
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 1650

Hello!

In case you don't know there is a more up to date thread about the project here:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=581821
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #178
rottersclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242Assembly View Post

Hello!

Welcome - please join the Cov threads (Although ignore me I get too negative...)

Yes, I drive past the Butts every day and have been watching its progress with interest.
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #179
242Assembly

Thanks all. Will certainly drop by.
242Assembly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 10:48 PM   #180
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 1650

Bump. The space that we thought might end up as retail has now become the offices of Band Hutton Button solicitors. This company has moved from Bank house on Warwick Rd which is due to be demolished for student halls.
ACEP4 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr
Advertisement