Scottish Rugby - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum

Scottish Architecture Forum Architecture, Design and Urban Development for for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, and the rest of Scotland.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:46 PM   #1
JamesWales

Likes (Received): 0

Scottish Rugby

Hello Scottish forumers,

Sorry to start a new thread, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether there were any plans for Edinburgh and Glasgow Rugby clubs to move to purpose built stadia?

Glasgow play at Firhill, which is a bit big, and seems to lack a rugby club vibe. I guess it does have the benefit of not alienating Celtic or Rangers fans though?

Edinburgh play at Murayfield, which is a total joke to me. They got nearly 10,000 yesterday but typically play before 2-3000 people, and the atmosphere must be horrendous.

Surely there is scope to develop a 7-10,000 capacity rugby stadium in Edinburgh? I guess moving to Easter Road or Tynecastle would alienate half of the city?

Just wondering anyway, as I'd like to see the Scottish rugby clubs improve really.

Cheers
JamesWales no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Stunnersight
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Think it might work that both rugby clubs (if they build new stadiums) also link up with universities in their respective cities. Unis might help fund, staff and go along to the rugby. I guess you are aware of the unfitness of Scotstoun and Meadowbank athletic stadiums.
Stunnersight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:09 PM   #3
alabro

Likes (Received): 18

Don't know about sites in Edinburgh, but I wonder if it would be feasable to rebuild Cathkin Park for Glasgow? An intimate, and iconic setting in Glasgow sport, home of the former great Third Lanark FC, and now ran as a council park in front of the overgrown terracing on 3 sides. Would make a cracking setting buried in the woods, minutes from Hampden Park and the associated good transport links. Surely would be great for Glasgow Rugby if the money could be found?
alabro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #4
JamesWales

Likes (Received): 0

I'd love to see something happen. Edinburgh is the most pressing concern really. It is just crazy being at Murrayfield with 2,000 other people.

Is there not a traditional ground where rugby clubs in the two cities played?

I appreciate that rugby is probably less popular in Scotland than it is in Wales, England or Ireland (I've brought the Daily Record before, and you have to trawl through endless pages of SPL news to get to a paragraph on the rugby!) but surely it's two Magners league teams should be better supported?

Why do you think they aren't? I guess the average Glaswegian doesn't watch Celtic or Rangers live on a weekly basis so there must be a demand to be filled for live, affordable top class sport?
JamesWales no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #5
Ahhhh
Relaxed

Likes (Received): 85

I'm sure I've heard rumours about Glasgow moving, but I can't remember where I heard them, sorry!

I guess that's a pretty much useless update then, eh?

Ahhhh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #6
lwa

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
I'd love to see something happen. Edinburgh is the most pressing concern really. It is just crazy being at Murrayfield with 2,000 other people.

Is there not a traditional ground where rugby clubs in the two cities played?

I appreciate that rugby is probably less popular in Scotland than it is in Wales, England or Ireland (I've brought the Daily Record before, and you have to trawl through endless pages of SPL news to get to a paragraph on the rugby!) but surely it's two Magners league teams should be better supported?

Why do you think they aren't? I guess the average Glaswegian doesn't watch Celtic or Rangers live on a weekly basis so there must be a demand to be filled for live, affordable top class sport?
Youve kinda answered that one yourself TBH - most Glaswegians don't know Glasgow Warriors exist, and even those that do are (mostly) supporters of an amature club. And while it is slowly changing, these people in main disagree with the SRU's approach to professional rugby. They have made massive strides in recent seasons though: nearly 20,000 attended the derbies last season, which would have been unthinkable 10 years ago.

There are quite a few club grounds in Glasgow (Old and New Anniesland, Burnbrae, Hughenden to name a few - Glasgow have played at atleast 2 of them) but these grounds aren't exactly suitable for pro rugby: none have more than about 500 covered seats, and except for Old Anniesland they are all showing their age. As much as I loved Hughenden for the character it had, we needed a more suitable venue.

Firhill is actually quite a good venue for Glasgow - big enough we can be ambitious, but small enough that you get an atmosphere. Embra on the other hand...
lwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement