RIVER OF LIFE KUALA LUMPUR DEVELOPMENTS | General News, Pictures & Updates - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Countdown to 2020

Countdown to 2020 new projects, proposals, under-construction updates and news of developments & construction projects.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 28th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #1
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 6

RIVER OF LIFE KUALA LUMPUR DEVELOPMENTS | General News, Pictures & Updates

I'm so envy of Seoul. Klang River? hmmmm.....
--

Last edited by davidwsk; December 15th, 2013 at 06:13 PM.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #2
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

--

Old September 28th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #3
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Strolling along the river.... mmmm....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #4
James Foong

Likes (Received): 5

Wow... This is really unique! Great art work. I think its going to stimulate the world to follow em. Hopefully, our authority has the strong urge to restore the klang river, but we got to wait 4 the flood mitigation to complete first. This is a brialliant restoration. If we dont hv the financial crisis b4, I think we might hv this kind of thing earlier than em. Remember Berjaya's Linear City, ontop of klang river?
James Foong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:47 PM   #5
nazrey

Likes (Received): 16000

It will be very nice and such a perfect city.....(esp. at least beside Mid valley city and Capsquare).It just looks the same size as Klang river in KL what!

BTW South Korea remind me to the Peninsular Malaysia but in the term of population remind me to Australia and in the term of great multicultural remind me to the US ...LOL
Alor Setar, Ipoh, Johor Bahru, Kangar, Kota Bahru, Kota Kinabalu, Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu, Kuching, Seremban, Shah Alam, etc!
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #6
nazrey

Likes (Received): 16000

some monorail in KL scene along the Kelang River....

http://www.monorails.org
Alor Setar, Ipoh, Johor Bahru, Kangar, Kota Bahru, Kota Kinabalu, Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu, Kuching, Seremban, Shah Alam, etc!

Last edited by davidwsk; December 15th, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:19 PM   #7
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

The Linear City idea shoud be ditched indefinitely. It means building a complex on top of the river while the patrons can view the man made river in the complex. It's simply ridiculous. KLites have a authentic Klang River there, there's no need to make one that lacks natural beauty.
Old September 29th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #8
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1921

Well....anyone here seen how Klang River floods after every rain? This is not possible at least until SMART project is compelted. Even then, the river would still flood but not overflow. We have two tropical rivers flowing thru our city and this is the problem.

As for the Linear City, beautification and cleaning (more of filtering) up of the river is part of the project.

Moreover the water volume of Klang River is greater than that of Seoul and you can't change the colour hahaha
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:10 AM   #9
ZaHiRnYa???
you are you and i am me..

Likes (Received): 50

Very nice indeed. Read about it in the newspaper yesterday. Big congratulation to Seoul..hope the same thing will happen here.
Old September 29th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #10
bobdikl

Likes (Received): 2

Tropical river!!!!!!!

oh.....just leave me(Klang River) alone!!!! I can foresee just another ecological disaster made by humans.
bobdikl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #11
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

The authorities should make full use of the rivers for tourist attractions. Seoul obviously has added another a new charm where people can hang around or have a relaxing walk. If KL does not restore its natural beauty, soon KLites will find themselves living among dug mountains and dry valley.

Imagine if Jalan Tun Razak were diverted away and that part of Klang River get exposure, wouldn't it be great? Imagine viewing KL city while ur strolling along the river. But now you can only do so when travelling on the highway by car.

I do agree that have to wait till SMART is completed. And is there a technology to change the colour of water? It's muddy and ugly! Noticed Seoul built a fountain, the water is crystal clear~
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #12
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastresorter

And is there a technology to change the colour of water? It's muddy and ugly! Noticed Seoul built a fountain, the water is crystal clear~

I don't think so That is the natural colour of the river and there's nothing we could do bout it. Just look at the Amazon River and Huang He. There is a reason why they call 'Huang He'
Old September 29th, 2005, 01:05 PM   #13
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
The authorities should make full use of the rivers for tourist attractions. Seoul obviously has added another a new charm where people can hang around or have a relaxing walk. If KL does not restore its natural beauty, soon KLites will find themselves living among dug mountains and dry valley.
Actually DBKL did try to beautify our Gombak and Klang river a while ago but rubbish gets trapped into these rocks and stuffs easily. Furthermore the entire river would get flooded everytime it rains and everything would be covered. The water rises so fast that having a pedestrian walkway by the riverside is very hazardous. They also tried to have some al-fresco dining at Central Market a while ago by the river but instead of drawing people, the river is the main reason why people stay away because it doesn't smell nice

Well.....we could all hope for the SMART tunnel to operate first and we'll see what the authority is gonna do next
Old September 29th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #14
skymad

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
I do agree that have to wait till SMART is completed. And is there a technology to change the colour of water? It's muddy and ugly! Noticed Seoul built a fountain, the water is crystal clear~
The reason why the water is crystal clear is because the river is an engineered river. It probably draws water from its origin source, by means of building large underground pipes to transport it. Water coming into the stream ll be clarified so that its quality reach to the acceptable level. The level of the stream must be controlled so that it wont overflow its bank/walkway too. Otherwise, the huge investment to the restoration project will go to waste and leads to public bashing. Since the koreans loves carp fish, i think it ll be alots there.
skymad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #15
hypermount

Likes (Received): 22

Tropical rivers are brown in colour... if the river is blue - doesn't mean it's clean. It could be full of blue-coloured industrial pollutants.
hypermount no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 06:17 AM   #16
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Preview of Cheonggyecheon Stream Restoration

On Sunday more than 10,000 people took a stroll through downtown Seoul along Cheonggyecheon stream, whose restoration is scheduled to be completed in October. The preview of the restoration was an opening event for this week's “Hi Seoul Festival.”
The citizens participating in the preview gained some insight into what the final restoration will look like.

Cheonggyecheon

The streams originating in Bukak, Inwang, and the Nam Mountains converge at the Seoul basin and run across the city from east and to west. Cheonggyecheon actually refers to the stream, which is 3,670 meters in length and 84 meters in maximum width and runs from the Seongbukcheon confluence through the Jungnangcheon confluence.
Cheonggyecheon was partially covered for the first time during the period of Japanese colonial rule in the first half of the 20th century as part of urban planning. Full-scale work to cover the stream was started in 1958 and completed in 1961. The construction of Cheonggye Elevated Highway was completed in 1976 after nine years of work, and it became one of the most crowded streets in Seoul. Seoul City decided to restore the stream in 2003, and the 26-month restoration project is now drawing to an end.

Lifeline of Seoul

The Han River is often called “the lifeline of Seoul.” However, Seoul citizens have traditionally felt closer to the streams that originate in the surrounding mountains and flow into the Han River. Cheonggyecheon is a case in point. Cheonggyecheon street has been known as a showcase of Korean ingenuity because it is home to thousands of tool and hardware stores. Part of the street was once known for many second-hand bookstores. Many of Seoulites have nostalgic experiences of making “pilgrimages” to the second-hand bookstores.

24 Bridges

There were a total of 24 bridges across the stream. Many of them were built during the Joseon Dynasty, but were covered up and hence appeared to be underground. The bridges were once the locales for kite-flying, traditional bridge stepping and other folk customs performed in accordance with seasonal changes.

Restoration Project

Now that the elevated highway and the street cover have been removed, the stream bed is once again exposed. The unique and romantic bridges have also been restored.

Overview of Restoration Project
Site - Taepyeong-no entrance ~ Sindapcheolgyo bridge (length: 5.8km)
Period - July 1, 2003 ~ Sept. 30, 2005
Cost - 386.7 million won ($386,000)
Works - Removal of elevated highway and street cover: 5.9 km
- Stream restoration (20-77 m wide, 5.8 km long)
- 2-3 lane road for each side of the stream (12-16.5m)
- 21 bridges (15 bridges for cars, 6 bridges for pedestrians)

The Cheonggyecheon Restoration Project is an unprecedented work to restore the natural environment that disappeared due to heavy urban development. The results of this significant work will be unveiled to the public on October 1.

Source: http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/zoom/1350623_11781.html
Old September 30th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #17
Subangite

Likes (Received): 0

colour of the river, just semantics. I think seoul has done a beautiful job at snazzing up its river, the boardwalks, the fountains, the lights... Amazing job. Here in Brisbane, It should be done in KL too. Nay... Must be done. Rivers are an untapped natural resource with tourist value.
Subangite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 06:25 AM   #18
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Pictures of before and after Cheongyecheon Restoration:

http://ecoplan.org/graphics/1
Old September 30th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #19
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Well.....in KL's case, the colour plays an important role as no matter how we educate people, they just think that brown = dirty. Of course like I've said earlier, the colour is natural but I dun think anyone would listen esp most Malaysians Have you heard of people saying the colour looks like 'Teh-O'? Most people would like to criticise but if wanna criticise also let there be any substance lah. Okay....enuf of my ranting already

Yes.......in other places, rivers could be an asset. Even places like Klang or Teluk Intan where the river is large enuf and the flooding isn't that bad that a river is good for snazzing it up. KL had a big problem with its irregular volume of water due to geological factor and so it looks like a drain now. Unless SMART could divert most of the water and maintain a balance in the water volume then only such development of the riverside would be feasible

I am not against developing Klang and Gombak river but we have to be realistic. We cannot just see what other's have and we want it too. Sometimes it is not possible
Old September 30th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #20
Subangite

Likes (Received): 0

I guess... perhaps a boardwalk by the river?

LOL... the colour looks like 'teh o', I'd have said, teh.. or teh tarik....
Subangite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
kuala lumpur