Cathedral Lanes | Broadgate | Retail | Refurb. | U/C. - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Coventry Developments

Coventry Developments Proposals and Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #1
skybluecity

Likes (Received): 655

Cathedral Lanes | Broadgate | Retail | Refurb. | U/C.

The much-maligned Cathedral Lanes shopping centre is to be given a facelift as part of its reinvention as a 'restaurant quarter'. The shopping mall was sold late last year in a deal worth £5.5million to London-based firm Shearer Property Group. Under plans submitted, the building’s colonnade will be retained and new balconies will be created at first floor to give diners outside seating with westerly views over Boadgate.

Three national chains have so far signed up for the revamped CL, they are Wagamama, Las Iguanas and The Cosy Club.

As it is today:

Work now started:

skybluecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2015, 06:49 PM   #2
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5910

Well, it's an improvement over the existing site, but I'd much rather it go completely.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022

Typhoon2000, Dr Pepper, CovAD liked this post
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 10:39 PM   #3
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 793

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
Well, it's an improvement over the existing site, but I'd much rather it go completely.
Agree totally - although NewTroll would probably lift everything out of that area and start it all over again - lol!

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #4
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
Agree totally - although NewTroll would probably lift everything out of that area and start it all over again - lol!
I wonder what the result would be if the city had a referendum on reconstructing chunks of the old city?

I can't imagine many people wanting to keep what is essentially a failure.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082

Fudgis liked this post
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 03:53 AM   #5
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
I wonder what the result would be if the city had a referendum on reconstructing chunks of the old city?

....and you're asking people that want to keep the Ring Road as it is???

Old April 6th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #6
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8213

So is this replacement glazing to shop fronts or is there more to the makeover?
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 07:29 AM   #7
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
So is this replacement glazing to shop fronts or is there more to the makeover?
That's a thought.. is this going to be one big eatery or will Wilko still have a home?

Old April 7th, 2015, 09:33 AM   #8
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Wilko are staying. The rest is being converted into restaurant units.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
Old April 10th, 2015, 07:59 PM   #9
stig1982
stig1982

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post

I've often wondered that. At the time of the Jerde consultation several years ago there was a lot of feedback calling for recreations of our pre war buildings.

Take a look at what they're doing in Frankfurt.

http://www.domroemer.de

1970s concrete turd demolished to make way for a series of narrow streets with some reconstructed buildings and some contemporary ones with a classical theme.

Why can't we do that in Coventry? How about tearing down Primark and/or Cathedral Lanes then reconstructing Great Butcher Row and Little Butcher Row?
stig1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:00 PM   #10
stig1982
stig1982

Little Butcher Row

[IMG]http://i59.************/bfq4it.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #11
stig1982
stig1982

Butcher Row

[IMG]http://i59.************/2cymgyu.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #12
stig1982
stig1982

Looking up to the Spires

[IMG]http://i62.************/2qi0fau.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #13
stig1982
stig1982

Priory Row (still standing) used to run into Butcher Row (beyond) and Trinity Lane (left). The useless flower beds now stand in place of the medieval cottages that stood along Trinity Lane.

What were the pre war planners thinking? They destroyed several streets to replace them with one (Trinity Street). All of those homes, shops and businesses displaced. For what?

[IMG]http://i61.************/2q16mw0.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:29 PM   #14
stig1982
stig1982

To aid navigation!

[IMG]http://i60.************/24wfu2p.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 10th, 2015, 10:08 PM   #15
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Yes, I agree. I've always maintained that reconstructing the traditional Broadgate street plan and links would be a good start.

I also think Pepper Lane should be reconstructed so it's a proper street instead of service areas and a main route to the Cathedral Quarter with a view of the Tower framed in it. Looks marvellous on old photos.

I've been to Hildesheim in Germany which was partly reconstructed in the 1980s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histori...ce,_Hildesheim

They also rebuilt the city's cathedrals.

It's political. Even if the money was available (And I'd say the cash wasted over the years on these dreadful 'public spaces' could have been put to better use) those in charge are hardly likely to admit to what amounts to seventy years of failure.

Old April 10th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #16
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig1982 View Post
Priory Row (still standing) used to run into Butcher Row (beyond) and Trinity Lane (left). The useless flower beds now stand in place of the medieval cottages that stood along Trinity Lane.

What were the pre war planners thinking? They destroyed several streets to replace them with one (Trinity Street). All of those homes, shops and businesses displaced. For what?

[IMG]http://i61.************/2q16mw0.jpg[/IMG]
I think those flower beds are useless as well!

I have a little more sympathy with the pre-war planners, who at least built Owen Owen in a decent spot and retained some links, unlike Gibson who just splatted Owen Owen across the top of the Burges and created a poor public space and a terrible view from the Burges.

The destruction of shops, houses and businesses continued after the war, though, on places like Gosford Street, Spon Street and the streets running out to the suburbs.

Old April 11th, 2015, 12:04 AM   #17
MetGreatCentral

Likes (Received): 2

Cathedral Lanes likely to be finished by end of September according to Cov Telegraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coventry Telegraph
Coventry Cathedral Lanes redevelopment ahead of schedule

A new restaurant and bar quarter at Cathedral Lanes in Coventry should be open by late summer.

Guy Shearer, owner of London based Shearer Property Group, which owns the site, told the Telegraph about the progress contractors were making.

Wagamama, Las Iguanas and The Cosy Club have all signed up for the new-look city centre venue.

The building’s colonnade will be retained and new balconies will be created at first floor to give diners outside seating with views over Broadgate.

Mr Shearer said: “We have already announced that we are targeting to get all restaurants open, at the latest, for half-term in October.

“We are doing everything we can to try and get the restaurants open for the end of the summer.

“We would be pretty disappointed to not be done by the end of September.”
MetGreatCentral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #18
CovAD

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig1982 View Post
I've often wondered that. At the time of the Jerde consultation several years ago there was a lot of feedback calling for recreations of our pre war buildings.

Take a look at what they're doing in Frankfurt.

http://www.domroemer.de

1970s concrete turd demolished to make way for a series of narrow streets with some reconstructed buildings and some contemporary ones with a classical theme.

Why can't we do that in Coventry? How about tearing down Primark and/or Cathedral Lanes then reconstructing Great Butcher Row and Little Butcher Row?
Hi Stig. It feels like it's been a while since we've heard from you.

Regarding this recreation of the Butcher Rows etc, would this really be viable. Butcher Row does still effectively exist as part of Trinity St, and LBR is now essentially Ironmonger Row I believe. Would recreating these streets give the necessary space for modern retailers and businesses, and their service areas etc?

Re: the building recreations, I don't like recreations and fakery. However, there are a number of existing buildings which are spread out around the city centre (and wider city) which I feel could be used if such a plan were put in place. It would create a better, more authentic, historical feel to such an area; give these buildings a potential new lease of life as they have a much reduced tourist impact in isolated places, and allow redevelopment in areas without having to be compromised by older listed structures whilst also ensuring those structures survive. It's similar to how Spon St has come about, and the Black Country Living Museum.
Old April 11th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #19
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 1650

[IMG]http://i61.************/2ajzw5c.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 11th, 2015, 11:28 PM   #20
stig1982
stig1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovAD View Post
Hi Stig. It feels like it's been a while since we've heard from you.

Regarding this recreation of the Butcher Rows etc, would this really be viable. Butcher Row does still effectively exist as part of Trinity St, and LBR is now essentially Ironmonger Row I believe. Would recreating these streets give the necessary space for modern retailers and businesses, and their service areas etc?

Re: the building recreations, I don't like recreations and fakery. However, there are a number of existing buildings which are spread out around the city centre (and wider city) which I feel could be used if such a plan were put in place. It would create a better, more authentic, historical feel to such an area; give these buildings a potential new lease of life as they have a much reduced tourist impact in isolated places, and allow redevelopment in areas without having to be compromised by older listed structures whilst also ensuring those structures survive. It's similar to how Spon St has come about, and the Black Country Living Museum.
I think the whole issue is very divisive and many are against recreating old buildings, as you are. In Frankfurt (where they're completing such a scheme now) there were objections along the lines of it all being very Disney-esque. But I'd prefer that in certain areas of the city than Coventry's post war obsession with doing all things modern. Unless you can spend top dollar for great modern buildings (which the city hasn't typically done) then they age very quickly and tend not to fit into their surroundings.

I actually prefer the concept of recreating buildings on the sites where they used to exist rather than moving genuine historic buildings from their original settings and transplanting them elsewhere, as per your preference. Spon Street is an interesting example. Yes it looks nice, but a lot of it is fake. A number of the taller, grander buildings (such as the Blue Bistro restaurant and the music shop) were moved from Much Park Street in the 1970s.

I'd much prefer those buildings to be returned to MPS and fill in the gaps along both MPS and Spon Street with authentic recreations of buildings lost and some sympathetic contemporary new build.

Viable? Why not? The top of Trinity Street and Broadgate is dead. Spending money on construction costs and fitting out would be recovered from the rates and rents that the units would produce. Not to mention the wider benefits for the city centre that increased footfall would bring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement