Cebu LRT | Length: 21 kms | 16 Stations - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Railways

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2016, 06:52 AM   #61
ronki

Likes (Received): 332

Isn't one of the big bus players (in PH) is in Cebu?
ronki está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2016, 02:24 PM   #62
Wind Shear
Missed Opportunities

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronki View Post
Isn't one of the big bus players (in PH) is in Cebu?
Nope. Somewhere in Negros. Bacolod City to be exact.

Jaime Gris, Coder | DeviantArt | Reddit

Last edited by Wind Shear; May 22nd, 2016 at 10:42 PM.
Wind Shear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2016, 11:08 AM   #63
ronaldski2k01
traddycat

Likes (Received): 11

Nindot sa siyudad kay Brt, dayon sa probinsiya kay lrt,or balihon nalang kaha?
ronaldski2k01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2016, 11:43 AM   #64
ronaldski2k01
traddycat

https://www.facebook.com/cebuupdates...type=3&theater
Old May 23rd, 2016, 11:44 AM   #65
ronaldski2k01
traddycat

Old May 24th, 2016, 03:36 AM   #66
baybum7

Likes (Received): 627

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybum7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
When I was in Canada, one of my advocacies was pushing for the Evergreen Line, a Skytrain extension in Vancouver which is now nearing completion.

Back in the day, there was never enough money or political will to do it, so transit planners wanted to introduce BRT and came up with all these useless mumbo jumbo "studies" saying how this is suppose to be a good thing. Essentially Translink was pushing for a system called Irisbus Civis as an alternative to Skytrain, which is our LRT.

I was very active in resisting their BRT proposals, so much so I even went to Las Vegas myself (the only place in North America the Civis was in service) and documented the BRT there which is pathetic, and made a formal presentation at the Translink Board. I don't know whether my lobbying efforts made a difference but it was fortunate that Translink scrapped the idea and decided to push for LRT instead (and later on through poiitics, Skytrain was extended).

So yes, the topic of BRT vs LRT is very dear to me. And I know for a fact that its an inferior system that should not be introduced. Perhaps as a feeder system, why not if you have the road space. But as a main line, FORGET IT!
Care to share some details on the disadvantages of BRT? I'm (genuinely) interested in the comparison between the two
Just bumping this question, it may have been buried in this thread

Oh, and if numbers (cost to build and operate, passenger cap, travel time, etc.) can be added, that would be great
baybum7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2016, 08:43 PM   #67
BeaverQube

Likes (Received): 1267

Huwag na kasi bigyan yung mga ayaw!

Ayan, naghahanap pa tuloy ng comparative studies daw!

Maybe they are now enjoying the "comforts" of their BRT buses already by now kasi madali daw i put up.

Ayan o tumatakbo na yata! But it looks like biernes santo ang kuha sa 2nd picture..kasi walang traffic!

I would be more happy to see a railway sa Palawan than insisting on putting one sa Cebu.
BeaverQube no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2016, 08:59 PM   #68
baybum7

Likes (Received): 627

It's only because the limited amount of data I can look for provides a lot of advantages in putting up BRT, and a lot of people here are pushing for a rail system. I was actually looking for corrections rather than meaningless and provocative responses. Thank you
baybum7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 06:38 AM   #69
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod

Likes (Received): 5379

The only advantage of BRT is its supposedly low capital cost. BRT proponents say it is cheaper than rail, and that's about it. Of course, if BRT is to be effective, it will need to be grade separated. BRTs seen in China have their own viaducts, hence why they are good. Most BRTs share roadway with other cars in some form or the other, at the very least the intersections. But once BRT starts getting some sort of grade separation, costs do escalate. Depending on how fast the civic planners want their BRTs, the costs can easily escalate to just as much as rail. Major disadvantage of BRT is carrying capacity and higher operating costs because rail can carry more passengers per trip than the largest BRT buses that can legally and technically plow through the roads. If you want more details, studies and so on, just google BRT vs LRT. You will see lots from both side, each presenting its own bias.

My participation in the BRT vs LRT debate was limited to what was going on in my little area in Vancouver. And I hate the fact that the Translink planners were so sinister to use lack of funds as an excuse to push for an experimental optically guided BRT that turned out to be unsuccessful in the greater scheme of things. The Irisbus Civis was only sold in one US city, Las Vegas, while others like Charlotte and Eugene also were not fooled by it and opted out. And at the end of the day, despite the higher cost of the rail system, the government and voters opted to go for rail despite requiring a 2 percent gas tax increase to pay for it.

"The best solution all over the world, time tested, safe, no pollution, is still the use of the train system." - Ms. Elvira Medina, Nat'l Center for Commuter Safety and Protection
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 07:14 AM   #70
Wind Shear
Missed Opportunities

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverQube View Post
Huwag na kasi bigyan yung mga ayaw!

Ayan, naghahanap pa tuloy ng comparative studies daw!

Maybe they are now enjoying the "comforts" of their BRT buses already by now kasi madali daw i put up.

Ayan o tumatakbo na yata! But it looks like biernes santo ang kuha sa 2nd picture..kasi walang traffic!

I would be more happy to see a railway sa Palawan than insisting on putting one sa Cebu.
Sabihin mo lang hindi ka tanggap na may BRT project sa Cebu.

-------------

And just to let you know, the Cebu LRT project started on mid-1990s.

If they want to revive the said project, they have to REDO the feasibility study since the data gathered is already 20 years old

Jaime Gris, Coder | DeviantArt | Reddit

lianlaspinas liked this post

Last edited by Wind Shear; May 25th, 2016 at 07:20 AM.
Wind Shear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 09:53 PM   #71
BeaverQube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Shear View Post
Sabihin mo lang hindi ka tanggap na may BRT project sa Cebu.

-------------

And just to let you know, the Cebu LRT project started on mid-1990s.

If they want to revive the said project, they have to REDO the feasibility study since the data gathered is already 20 years old
Haha me? you must be kidding right?

Why should I be bothered? I have been to Cebu only a few times during some stopovers during work related travels. And when I was in your city, we were provided with service vehicles with drivers. Never have taken any public transport in the city, but I know how bad the traffic was. Especially in the city center. So go just enjoy your extra wide buses now and glorify yourself!
Old June 2nd, 2016, 02:48 AM   #72
ahehe_96
Mr.V

Likes (Received): 218

The rail line should run between talisay and madaue or lapulapu kasi working class people live there and commuting is a hassle, have you seen the situation in the south bus terminal? People line up for hours just to get home. the brt line I don't know.
Rodrigo Duterte

BeaverQube liked this post
ahehe_96 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 03:00 AM   #73
jjdns

Likes (Received): 1848

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahehe_96 View Post
The rail line should run between talisay and madaue or lapulapu kasi working class people live there and commuting is a hassle, have you seen the situation in the south bus terminal? People line up for hours just to get home. the brt line I don't know.
Consolacion till minglanilla bro. I live in the south, pardo. I would have a hard time going home if i commute since people from minglanilla would board a pardo jeepney and disembark at pardo so they can again commute via basak/pardo-minglanilla mini jeepney. Guess same thing happens at the north
jjdns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 04:41 AM   #74
BeaverQube

So, did you or did you not have a hard time commuting? Maybe you should check your kulangot as a gauge. Pag maraming nakabara, nahirapan ka. Pag malinis ang ilong mo, ayos lang ang bus.

Never mind building LRT in Cebu they don't need it sabi ng mga taga Cebu, just send the budget instead to Palawan para magkaroon na ng train doon.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 04:42 AM   #75
ronaldski2k01
traddycat

Naa man daw gisuggest si mayor tomas nga ang sa city kay brt dayon sa probinsiya kay lrt or train...
Old June 8th, 2016, 03:53 AM   #76
Parchie

Likes (Received): 2658

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverQube View Post
So, did you or did you not have a hard time commuting? Maybe you should check your kulangot as a gauge. Pag maraming nakabara, nahirapan ka. Pag malinis ang ilong mo, ayos lang ang bus.

Never mind building LRT in Cebu they don't need it sabi ng mga taga Cebu, just send the budget instead to Palawan para magkaroon na ng train doon.
Why commute if you have your own car?
The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all: it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same level, to breed a standard citizenry, to put down dissent and originality.

- H.L. Mencken
Parchie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 03:22 AM   #77
BeaverQube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchie View Post
Why commute if you have your own car?
You are lucky you have a car..paano yung mga mahirap? na mas marami kaysa kagaya mo?

roydex, Particle 1 liked this post
Old June 23rd, 2016, 11:22 AM   #78
Matzam

Likes (Received): 1526

Throwback Photo of the Old Cebu Railway

Train passes the Sangat, San Fernando, Cebu Railway Bridge: This photo taken in 1920 shows a train passing the Philippine Railway bridge in Sangat, San Fernando, Cebu. Business officials in Cebu are pushing for a mass transport system from Carcar City in the south to Danao City in the north. This is like reviving the old railway line between both cities. (Photo used with permission of the Cebuano Studies Center)

Source: https://www.facebook.com/mycebu/phot...type=3&theater
Matzam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 12:56 PM   #79
cebunext
Central Philippines

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzam View Post
Train passes the Sangat, San Fernando, Cebu Railway Bridge: This photo taken in 1920 shows a train passing the Philippine Railway bridge in Sangat, San Fernando, Cebu. Business officials in Cebu are pushing for a mass transport system from Carcar City in the south to Danao City in the north. This is like reviving the old railway line between both cities. (Photo used with permission of the Cebuano Studies Center)

Source: https://www.facebook.com/mycebu/phot...type=3&theater
pwede na ibalik ang train sa cebu peru e by pass lang cguro adtos talamban muagi den liko dri sa ML Quezon ave.sa mandaue lahos ngadto sa highway all the way to danao proper.
cebunext no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 09:58 AM   #80
Matzam

Likes (Received): 1526

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayQ View Post

Matzam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement