Belgrade Plaza | Phase 3 | Student Accommodation/Retail | 21/15/10fl | U/C. - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Coventry Developments

Coventry Developments Proposals and Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:08 PM   #41
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 1227

I remember Athena in West Orchards. Where were they on Hertford Street?

H Samuel used to be on Trinity Street.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:18 PM   #42
Masonry Mate

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
Doesn't this all come back to that paper that analysed ring roads and came to the conclusion that the ring road and precinct are actually a cause of the decline in the city centre? The busiest road in the city centre is dual carriageway with no way for businesses to have direct links to the people, and the pedestrian tunnels mean there's no flow of people because we don't tend to use them...
Ha ha! I think you've just hit the nail on the head! We have a dichotomy of some of the best serviced city centre access in the country ,but all the roads lead to car parks
I think if you're going for a pedestrianised, a fully pedestrianised city centre, you'll have to have some pretty shockingly hot planners city AND business generators working within the council to keep it interesting.

All the other 'mainly' pedestrianised centres locally (Im including Touch wood in that) seem to be able to keep it interesting and lively. Look at the Leicester development. Conceived, devised and built in the time we were navel gazing over Bishopsgate.

Selling off the city to the University does not a thriving pedestrianised city make.

RalphGuy liked this post
Masonry Mate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:20 PM   #43
Masonry Mate

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
I remember Athena in West Orchards. Where were they on Hertford Street?

H Samuel used to be on Trinity Street.
Athena was where the charity shop is and Habitat was where the 99p shop is now.

(my God! I've just read that sentence back and began to weep )

I remember H Samuel ,it was next to the Wimpey I think? Always remember the smell when I entered, it smelt posh!
Masonry Mate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #44
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonry Mate View Post
Ha ha! I think you've just hit the nail on the head! We have a dichotomy of some of the best serviced city centre access in the country ,but all the roads lead to car parks
I think if you're going for a pedestrianised, a fully pedestrianised city centre, you'll have to have some pretty shockingly hot planners city AND business generators working within the council to keep it interesting.

All the other 'mainly' pedestrianised centres locally (Im including Touch wood in that) seem to be able to keep it interesting and lively. Look at the Leicester development. Conceived, devised and built in the time we were navel gazing over Bishopsgate.

Selling off the city to the University does not a thriving pedestrianised city make.
The roads not only lead to car parks, but they go through streets that do have much along them in order to set-up businesses as it's all blank walls, car parks or purpose built buildings or 'backages'. Hence you have dead roads leading to car parks. Compare this to many other cities where arterial routes into the centre are lined with businesses that can't afford the rent of of the CBD or are a business that would benefit from people seeing them (i.e. restaurants.) In Cov it's all a bit back to front, and the ring road has no direct links between traffic and businesses... And the pedestrians aren't there because of the ring road.

Having said that, the city centre was very busy today. Busiest I've seen it, and I was quite pleased that I managed to pick the reissue of the Doors' 'Full Circle' album on vinyl in HMV. It's quite a shock that HMV seems to be actually stocking back catalogue these days. I also picked up the new CD by 'John Jones' from the Oysterband, and the new Stuart McCallum CD.

We actually went to Hertford Street today for a Chinese. I still think that street needs reconstructing back to being a proper street, with a side alley leading down to the old Tudor Almshouse. Get rid of that bridge over the road and re-open it up properly. As it leads out onto Greyfriar's Green (Which you forget is actually pretty pleasant.) it could be a good link up to Broadgate.

I noticed the new restaurant in Cathedral Lanes was busy, which is a good thing!

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
Old September 6th, 2015, 12:59 PM   #45
CovAD

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
I was quite pleased that I managed to pick the reissue of the Doors' 'Full Circle' album on vinyl in HMV. It's quite a shock that HMV seems to be actually stocking back catalogue these days.
I'm not. A lot of people into new bands will often use new ways to get hold of it, like downloading. Shops like HMV have almost no market there, and will increasingly rely on people wanting more authentic feeling old stuff, like vinyl for old records. I'd say it's much more likely such institutions will soon go the way of Blockbuster.
Old September 6th, 2015, 01:14 PM   #46
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Research in 2014 indicated that people prefer physical formats to streaming or cloud based music systems (I have two, Amazon and Apple, and hardly use them - will probably ditch them when the trial period is over). What was bizarre was that a lot of people bought Vinyl and never listened to it.

http://www.icmunlimited.com/media-ce...over-the-cloud

I think reports of the death of physical formats are premature.

Old September 17th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #47
skybluecity

Likes (Received): 655

Heard a rumour that this might get rejected?

I know the new student block opposite the old Butts College was due to be rejected, but I believe an extension has been applied for, but this one surprises me (if true).
skybluecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 12:28 AM   #48
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Historic England don't like it because there's a couple of listed building nearby. The report in response shows that the area is a total mish-mash and dominated by the ring road and a car park (Which is next to the old cottages.)

http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/port...geName=1233800

Shame they weren't so concerned 50 years ago. Bit late now.

Old September 27th, 2015, 10:54 AM   #49
skybluecity

Approved.

http://democraticservices.coventry.g...Ryley%20st.pdf

NewTroll liked this post
Old September 27th, 2015, 12:42 PM   #50
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Most of the objections amounted to 'it's ugly' and 'we should have a park instead' (Which seems to the standard mantra in Coventry for any piece of land that comes up.) and comments about the nearby old buildings. However, they are an anachronism in a city centre that's mainly a 20th century product.

Full permission for the tower to open in 2017, and outline permission for the residential development, which hopefully means they will improve it, as that part of the plan is pretty poor.

Good news, though. Three two storey restaurant units as well. I wonder if they'll fill them given that they have struggled to fill the existing ones in BP?

One of the comments FOR the plan made me laugh - something about it being better than the mediocre Phase1 and Phase2 developments!

I'm guessing this'll start pretty soon.

Does anyone else out there go for rides in the BP car park lift? My kids love going right up to the top for a look across the city centre.

Last edited by NewTroll; September 27th, 2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old September 27th, 2015, 12:54 PM   #51
skybluecity

Quote:
One of the comments FOR the plan made me laugh - something about it being better than the mediocre Phase1 and Phase2 developments!
I thought that might have been you

I think the units will be filled. The 3 units there presently seemed to have done OK, despite the only passing footfall of note being from the car park, although the proximity to the theater and Premier Inn clearly help. Add in to this a new gym that will probably have 5000+ members, a (possible) hotel extension and 20 storey student block I think there's every reason to think these units will fill up.

Good news overall, but do think the tower is a bit of a missed opportunity. Appears a bit 'monolithic' - the elevations are largely featureless and it would have benefited from some variety in the use of materials imo.
Old September 27th, 2015, 12:58 PM   #52
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Ha, I thought that comment was you!

I wouldn't be surprised if the footfall from the car park is pretty high. We park there (As car parks go, it's actually pretty good, seems a lot more spacious than many others) and there's always a steady stream of people through that area. When the theatre has something on it can be very busy. Like you say, a lot more people in the area with the other additions. Didn't the company that owns Bella Pasta open up a Cafe Rouge due to the success? (The other units are hidden away inside or on the side facing the road.)

Next step would be to get something on the corner where the Telegraph is. That whole area seems to be dead at the moment.

Old September 27th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #53
Suffolk Blue

Likes (Received): 34

Build slowly out from this development, as you say the telegraph building is prime spot for a development.

Now although I'm in favour of student developments, It would be nice for something different here. Maybe mixed retail and apartments or office space.

It like the Co Op is a decent location, or has the potential to be a good location.
Suffolk Blue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 01:05 AM   #54
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Blue View Post
Build slowly out from this development, as you say the telegraph building is prime spot for a development.

Now although I'm in favour of student developments, It would be nice for something different here. Maybe mixed retail and apartments or office space.

It like the Co Op is a decent location, or has the potential to be a good location.
There needs to be some non-student developments to start balancing things out.

Corporation Street could be branded as 'Post-war Quarter' if they keep the Telegraph, Co-op and theatre and fill in that gap at the end where they demolished the old temporary shops.

Although I was in IKEA today and that street is disgraceful. It's almost beyond belief that humans can, as well as creating things of great beauty, can also create things are so clearly shit.

danjames liked this post
Old November 24th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #55
skybluecity

This has now started. Maybe a mod can move it to the construction forum?
Old November 24th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #56
Suffolk Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluecity View Post
This has now started. Maybe a mod can move it to the construction forum?
Ground work is indeed now underway!

Bring it on.
Old November 24th, 2015, 10:14 PM   #57
Suffolk Blue

Quote:
Most of the objections amounted to 'it's ugly' and 'we should have a park instead' (Which seems to the standard mantra in Coventry for any piece of land that comes up.) and comments about the nearby old buildings. However, they are an anachronism in a city centre that's mainly a 20th century product.

Full permission for the tower to open in 2017, and outline permission for the residential development, which hopefully means they will improve it, as that part of the plan is pretty poor.

Good news, though. Three two storey restaurant units as well. I wonder if they'll fill them given that they have struggled to fill the existing ones in BP?

I'm guessing this'll start pretty soon.

Does anyone else out there go for rides in the BP car park lift? My kids love going right up to the top for a look across the city centre.
Ohhh! That's my weekend sorted! What a good Idea!
Old November 24th, 2015, 10:28 PM   #58
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

It gets a bit boring after the umpeenth time, though the kids always seem to like it!

They liked going to the top of the Radisson as well. Great view from up there.

This new development should be double the height with a restaurant on top.

Old November 29th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #59
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 1650

BPH2 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BPH1 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr
Old November 30th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #60
inspired

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
BPH2 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BPH1 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr
Finally it has begun. Looking forward to this one going up.
inspired no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement