AXO | Paradise Street | Student Accommodation | 14/12/10fl | U/C. - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Coventry Developments

Coventry Developments Proposals and Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2015, 09:30 PM   #1
skybluecity

Likes (Received): 655

AXO | Paradise Street | Student Accommodation | 14/12/10fl | U/C.

Planning application for a major new student accommodation complex has been submitted. The site sits at the top of the London Road at a key city centre gateway location.

Proposal summary (from planning portal):

Demolition of the existing buildings and erection of student accommodation comprising 1 x ten storey building, 2 x twelve storey buildings and 21 x three storey town houses with communal facilities, cycle parking, landscaping and pedestrian and vehicle access off Paradise Street.

sefton66, ROYAL BLUE liked this post

Last edited by skybluecity; April 13th, 2017 at 12:09 PM.
skybluecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2015, 09:41 PM   #2
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 1227

I'm surprised they haven't put a few retail units on the ground floor.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 10:02 PM   #3
Jonny Gee
telling the world how

Likes (Received): 369

'student accommodation, student accommodation, student accommodation, student accommodation'...... you are allowed to build apartments for local people you know (even though it will be unaffordable for most).

Stavrotti liked this post
Jonny Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2015, 10:08 PM   #4
skybluecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Gee View Post
'student accommodation, student accommodation, student accommodation, student accommodation'...... you are allowed to build apartments for local people you know (even though it will be unaffordable for most).
Anybody who has tried to rent a property in Coventry recently will tell you how difficult a task that is - the under supply of student accommodation means that the rental market is totally skewed and prices are being driven up to crazy levels. £1200 per month for a 2 bed apartment in Coventry City centre is crazy.

These purpose-built blocks are fine by me, especially if they bring to life inactive pieces of land like this one and help take the strain off the rental market. Would much rather see something in this location than on Corporation Street.
Old September 18th, 2015, 02:01 AM   #5
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

And there's a lot of inactive land in and around the city centre at the moment.

Ten years ago there were a lot of plans for apartment blocks. Park Court, Friars Road, Belgrade Plaza and even London Road. Now the economy seems to be recovering all these sites appear to now be up for student flats.

I wonder what will happen at Friars Road?

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
Old September 18th, 2015, 02:08 AM   #6
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 5173

Are the three storey townhouses student accomodation as well?

Interesting idea if so.

Not usually a fan of this style but it seeems quite an attractive looking development.

As someone says, it`s using up unused/underused land and freeing up other rental units for non-students.

What`s not to like!!

Thumbs up from me.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 02:19 AM   #7
Fernando Partridge

Likes (Received): 383

If there is demand for private rents then why aren't developers looking to build flats?
Fernando Partridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 02:40 AM   #8
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Partridge View Post
If there is demand for private rents then why aren't developers looking to build flats?
I don't think there is demand for flats. Families tend to want houses with gardens near good schools. (We struggled to sell a 4 bedroom family house in a certain inner city area some years back - estate agents just told us to forget about it. Sell to a landlord.)

Oh, I just remembered, there was massive block planning in the Butts as well.

That area is also being turned student flats.

Old September 18th, 2015, 07:56 AM   #9
Jonny Gee
telling the world how

Likes (Received): 369

There will never be a demand for city centre apartments as long as they cost so much (they start at £750 a month!). Surely more apartments means more competition which means cheaper rents....?

I would love to live in the city centre atm, as I'm sure many people in their 20's and 30's would, but I can't afford it at current levels.

Just for comparison, I know someone who rents a 3 bedroom semi-detached house in Coundon for £675 a month.
Jonny Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 10:38 AM   #10
skybluecity

Quote:
The demand is really for traditional housing, and that's where there is a shortage, and this isn't helped by the fact so many properties that really ought to be for families are occupied by students.

You can get the odd deal on a rental property, but they tend to go within a day. Too many properties are being made available for students in residential areas at inflated prices, such as:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-35815437.html

...that's why we need to build purpose built student apartments until there is some sort of balance between supply and demand.
Old September 18th, 2015, 08:53 PM   #11
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluecity View Post
The demand is really for traditional housing, and that's where there is a shortage, and this isn't helped by the fact so many properties that really ought to be for families are occupied by students.

You can get the odd deal on a rental property, but they tend to go within a day. Too many properties are being made available for students in residential areas at inflated prices, such as:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-35815437.html

...that's why we need to build purpose built student apartments until there is some sort of balance between supply and demand.
Holy crap, I'm in a 4 bedroomed detached house in one of the best areas of the city and my mortgage isn't even that much!

Agree totally. The students are moving into areas that decent residential areas and large houses are being converted into HIMO. It's causing problems in these areas. These student high-rise blocks will prevent that.

Old September 18th, 2015, 09:28 PM   #12
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8221

Looks good, how many spaces is it?
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 09:28 PM   #13
Fernando Partridge

Likes (Received): 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
Holy crap, I'm in a 4 bedroomed detached house in one of the best areas of the city and my mortgage isn't even that much!

Agree totally. The students are moving into areas that decent residential areas and large houses are being converted into HIMO. It's causing problems in these areas. These student high-rise blocks will prevent that.
I am stunned at that price.

I hadn't realised that students were now moving into places like Radford either. Not sure what the planning laws are on HMOs but they're not a good thing. Pressure on resources for one.
Fernando Partridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #14
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 1650

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
I'm surprised they haven't put a few retail units on the ground floor.
There is no footfall round there. To get to that site from the city centre directly you need to walk through 2 subways or 1 subway with a longer walk.
Dr Pepper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 12:23 AM   #15
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
There is no footfall round there. To get to that site from the city centre directly you need to walk through 2 subways or 1 subway with a longer walk.
I was thinking more for the students & the massive business park behind it. (Not to mention the local population around London road.) There're another large student block already there.

The access to the city centre from that location is ghastly.

Old September 19th, 2015, 12:25 AM   #16
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
I am stunned at that price.

I hadn't realised that students were now moving into places like Radford either. Not sure what the planning laws are on HMOs but they're not a good thing. Pressure on resources for one.
Students lived in Radford when I was an undergraduate at the Poly in the 1990s. These days houses in Canley and Earlsdon are being turned in HMO as well for Warwick students. We lived next door to two HMO for a few years. Absolute nightmare. If the area we're living in now starts going to same way we'll move straight out.

Old September 21st, 2015, 03:59 AM   #17
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 793

I lived up Cash's Lane/Widdrington Road when I was went to Uni the first time around.. (1998) - cost me £40 a week and it was a fairly decent size and really very high quality. Rents are phenomenal in certain areas of Cov today.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 04:17 AM   #18
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

I paid about 19 pounds a week to live in a hovel in Stoke in 1991!

Old September 21st, 2015, 09:18 PM   #19
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Looks like the found a WW2 bomb near the site of this development today...

Old September 23rd, 2015, 08:25 PM   #20
Suffolk Blue

Likes (Received): 34

Amazing after all this time they still turn up. Must of aimed for the Armstrong Siddeley factory, missed by a whisker.
Suffolk Blue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement