Bishopgate | Former Royal Mail Sorting Office | Mixed-Use | 18/17/15/14/8 fl | U/C. - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Coventry Developments

Coventry Developments Proposals and Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #101
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 1227

Does anyone else think this one looks small from the the ringroad, but massive from elsewhere in the city centre. I guess that's because the ringroad is at the top of the hill.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2017, 11:24 PM   #102
jonnys

Likes (Received): 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
Does anyone else think this one looks small from the the ringroad, but massive from elsewhere in the city centre. I guess that's because the ringroad is at the top of the hill.
The elevation from the front of the development to the top of Bishops St. accounts for 3 floors so where Bishopgate meets the ringroad, it's 15 floors tall at best and yes, I agree it does look small. The tower blocks across the ringroad flanking Radford Road and Leicester Causeway are actually a lot shorter but still look taller than this due to topography. Bishopgate is a bit disappointing from the ringroad in my opinion.
jonnys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #103
CovAD

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
I think it looks about right from the ringroad. Once it's filled out more rather than just the cores it'll fill the space well.

I think the oddest thing about it is how it relates to the canal basin across the road, and the bridge now looks silly.

I think you may be right in that this plethora of student tower blocks will in time be considered an 'era' of Coventry architecture, but like much of the post-war stuff it will be seen as functional but dated, unimaginative and dull in decades to come. They're going up quick to fill a demand ASAP, not to provide major aesthetic improvements to the city.
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #104
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Complaining that architecture looks dated is somewhat bizarre.

By its very nature, it is dated as soon as is finished.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:25 PM   #105
CovAD

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthulhu View Post
On Midlands Today in the aftermath of the tragedy I think they had a chap from Whitefriars say the recent refurb/reclad work on their tower blocks in Coventry used fire-resistant cladding.
If we're brutally honest they're not going to come out and say it isn't are they! If you'd asked that question in Kensington a week ago the answer would've been the same.

You can only hope it's the truth and that nothing ever happens to put that into question. But ultimately it's an act of faith - there'll be a lot of people in the chain who'd be looking to cut a corner here and there to save a bit of money...
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #106
We-Are-Borg-1987

Likes (Received): 170

The student blocks certainly are going up quickly. I think Gosford Gate and Millennium View in particular are good quality, although overall across the developments I feel the general aesthetic qualities of the blocks represent an improvement on the early noughties stuff. Yes you can still see some of the modernist influence, but not necessarily in a bad way.

For example, comparing the first phase of Belgrade Plaza and the phase just being completed, I much prefer the current phase as the first building is distinctly noughties. It seems architecture at the turn of the millennium was 'trying to hard' to be 'futuristic' (whatever that means, as contemporary is surely a better word?!?!). Having said that, I wouldn't say noughties architecture is offensive in any way compared to other eras we have suffered!
We-Are-Borg-1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 12:06 AM   #107
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 1650

BFBP1 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BFBP4 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BFBP3 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BFBP2 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

AbidM liked this post
Dr Pepper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 12:39 AM   #108
Covguy

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
BFBP1 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BFBP4 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BFBP3 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BFBP2 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr
This is going to be massive! I've said it before but, love a Dr Pepper photo update day!!

Dr Pepper liked this post
Covguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 11:24 PM   #109
cw1978uk

Likes (Received): 41

Old July 5th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #110
cw1978uk

Likes (Received): 41

Suffolk Blue, Engels, cyril sneer liked this post
cw1978uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 11:28 PM   #111
Suffolk Blue

Likes (Received): 34

Don't really think I realised how big this was going to be! Massive.
Suffolk Blue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 02:01 AM   #112
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 1698

Quote:
Originally Posted by We-Are-Borg-1987 View Post
The student blocks certainly are going up quickly. I think Gosford Gate and Millennium View in particular are good quality, although overall across the developments I feel the general aesthetic qualities of the blocks represent an improvement on the early noughties stuff. Yes you can still see some of the modernist influence, but not necessarily in a bad way.

For example, comparing the first phase of Belgrade Plaza and the phase just being completed, I much prefer the current phase as the first building is distinctly noughties. It seems architecture at the turn of the millennium was 'trying to hard' to be 'futuristic' (whatever that means, as contemporary is surely a better word?!?!). Having said that, I wouldn't say noughties architecture is offensive in any way compared to other eras we have suffered!
I dunno, I fear the architecture of the noughties will generally be looked back upon not kindly, as a period defined by grubby white rendered walls and poor quality cladding.
cyril sneer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 09:08 PM   #113
We-Are-Borg-1987

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril sneer View Post
I dunno, I fear the architecture of the noughties will generally be looked back upon not kindly, as a period defined by grubby white rendered walls and poor quality cladding.
I agree, I just think its better than alot of stuff from the decades before.

Noughties buildings are very much starting to show their age and they look somewhat plain compared to the modern stuff going up. Cladding today seems more intricate, like theres more thought gone into things in terms of detailing e.g. around windows.

I would love to be in a situation where we were creating buildings today which would be worthy of listing and being preserved in perpetuity, but its very much cost-led still.

I think alot of 80's buildings are pretty awful as they are ever so dull, although they aren't necessarily 'offensive' to look at like alot of brutalist buildings e.g. the Britianina hotel. I think the noughties stuff is the same.
We-Are-Borg-1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #114
Suffolk Blue

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by We-Are-Borg-1987 View Post
I agree, I just think its better than alot of stuff from the decades before.

Noughties buildings are very much starting to show their age and they look somewhat plain compared to the modern stuff going up. Cladding today seems more intricate, like theres more thought gone into things in terms of detailing e.g. around windows.

I would love to be in a situation where we were creating buildings today which would be worthy of listing and being preserved in perpetuity, but its very much cost-led still.

I think alot of 80's buildings are pretty awful as they are ever so dull, although they aren't necessarily 'offensive' to look at like alot of brutalist buildings e.g. the Britianina hotel. I think the noughties stuff is the same.
Boring decade, Boring buildings.

Did the 90's produce anything of merit in Coventry? Cant think of any off the top of my head.

50's/60's stuff is far better than the later 70's and 80's stuff.
Suffolk Blue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 06:55 PM   #115
Fernando Partridge

Likes (Received): 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Blue View Post
Boring decade, Boring buildings.

Did the 90's produce anything of merit in Coventry? Cant think of any off the top of my head.

50's/60's stuff is far better than the later 70's and 80's stuff.
Cable and Wireless building Westwood Heath in the 90s
Fernando Partridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 08:47 PM   #116
kthulhu

Likes (Received): 39

Some might call it boring, but I do quite like Friars House. Wasn't that built in the late 1980s?
Old July 8th, 2017, 12:15 AM   #117
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Sainsbury's at Canley.

Old July 10th, 2017, 12:47 AM   #118
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 1650

BG101 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BG102 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

cyril sneer, AbidM liked this post
Dr Pepper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 01:02 AM   #119
Covguy

Likes (Received): 54

Monster of a building!
Covguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 01:06 AM   #120
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
BG101 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BG102 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr
I took a bus into the city centre for a few beers the other night, and from this position this looked fantastic. We need more stuff like this on all these areas around the ring road, IMHO. Does anyone else think this recent spate of building is making the city centre feel different? I can't wait for these to be occupied. Hopefully we'll see more patches of unused built on now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement