Bishopgate | Former Royal Mail Sorting Office | Mixed-Use | 18/17/15/14/8 fl | U/C. - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Coventry Developments

Coventry Developments Proposals and Construction


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 18th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #101
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso
 
NewTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coventry
Posts: 7,357
Likes (Received): 1227

Does anyone else think this one looks small from the the ringroad, but massive from elsewhere in the city centre. I guess that's because the ringroad is at the top of the hill.
__________________
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old June 18th, 2017, 11:24 PM   #102
jonnys
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 525
Likes (Received): 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
Does anyone else think this one looks small from the the ringroad, but massive from elsewhere in the city centre. I guess that's because the ringroad is at the top of the hill.
The elevation from the front of the development to the top of Bishops St. accounts for 3 floors so where Bishopgate meets the ringroad, it's 15 floors tall at best and yes, I agree it does look small. The tower blocks across the ringroad flanking Radford Road and Leicester Causeway are actually a lot shorter but still look taller than this due to topography. Bishopgate is a bit disappointing from the ringroad in my opinion.
jonnys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #103
CovAD
Registered User
 
CovAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coventry, Greater (than) Birmingham
Posts: 2,077
Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
Does anyone else think this one looks small from the the ringroad, but massive from elsewhere in the city centre. I guess that's because the ringroad is at the top of the hill.
I think it looks about right from the ringroad. Once it's filled out more rather than just the cores it'll fill the space well.

I think the oddest thing about it is how it relates to the canal basin across the road, and the bridge now looks silly.

I think you may be right in that this plethora of student tower blocks will in time be considered an 'era' of Coventry architecture, but like much of the post-war stuff it will be seen as functional but dated, unimaginative and dull in decades to come. They're going up quick to fill a demand ASAP, not to provide major aesthetic improvements to the city.
__________________
And on the sixth day, man created God in his own image.
CovAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #104
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso
 
NewTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coventry
Posts: 7,357
Likes (Received): 1227

Complaining that architecture looks dated is somewhat bizarre.

By its very nature, it is dated as soon as is finished.
__________________
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:25 PM   #105
CovAD
Registered User
 
CovAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coventry, Greater (than) Birmingham
Posts: 2,077
Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthulhu View Post
On Midlands Today in the aftermath of the tragedy I think they had a chap from Whitefriars say the recent refurb/reclad work on their tower blocks in Coventry used fire-resistant cladding.
If we're brutally honest they're not going to come out and say it isn't are they! If you'd asked that question in Kensington a week ago the answer would've been the same.

You can only hope it's the truth and that nothing ever happens to put that into question. But ultimately it's an act of faith - there'll be a lot of people in the chain who'd be looking to cut a corner here and there to save a bit of money...
__________________
And on the sixth day, man created God in his own image.
CovAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #106
We-Are-Borg-1987
Registered User
 
We-Are-Borg-1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rugby, Warwickshire.
Posts: 1,399
Likes (Received): 170

The student blocks certainly are going up quickly. I think Gosford Gate and Millennium View in particular are good quality, although overall across the developments I feel the general aesthetic qualities of the blocks represent an improvement on the early noughties stuff. Yes you can still see some of the modernist influence, but not necessarily in a bad way.

For example, comparing the first phase of Belgrade Plaza and the phase just being completed, I much prefer the current phase as the first building is distinctly noughties. It seems architecture at the turn of the millennium was 'trying to hard' to be 'futuristic' (whatever that means, as contemporary is surely a better word?!?!). Having said that, I wouldn't say noughties architecture is offensive in any way compared to other eras we have suffered!
We-Are-Borg-1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 12:06 AM   #107
Dr Pepper
Registered User
 
Dr Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,477
Likes (Received): 1650

BFBP1 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BFBP4 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BFBP3 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BFBP2 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr
__________________
Astronauts report: "It feels good".

AbidM liked this post
Dr Pepper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 12:39 AM   #108
Covguy
Registered User
 
Covguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 601
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
BFBP1 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BFBP4 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BFBP3 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BFBP2 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr
This is going to be massive! I've said it before but, love a Dr Pepper photo update day!!
__________________

Dr Pepper liked this post
Covguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 11:24 PM   #109
cw1978uk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 27
Likes (Received): 41

__________________
cw1978uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #110
cw1978uk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 27
Likes (Received): 41

__________________

Suffolk Blue, Engels, cyril sneer liked this post
cw1978uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 11:28 PM   #111
Suffolk Blue
Registered User
 
Suffolk Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Coventry
Posts: 356
Likes (Received): 34

Don't really think I realised how big this was going to be! Massive.
Suffolk Blue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 02:01 AM   #112
cyril sneer
Moderator
 
cyril sneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Exeter / Plymouth / Birmingham
Posts: 6,822
Likes (Received): 1698

Quote:
Originally Posted by We-Are-Borg-1987 View Post
The student blocks certainly are going up quickly. I think Gosford Gate and Millennium View in particular are good quality, although overall across the developments I feel the general aesthetic qualities of the blocks represent an improvement on the early noughties stuff. Yes you can still see some of the modernist influence, but not necessarily in a bad way.

For example, comparing the first phase of Belgrade Plaza and the phase just being completed, I much prefer the current phase as the first building is distinctly noughties. It seems architecture at the turn of the millennium was 'trying to hard' to be 'futuristic' (whatever that means, as contemporary is surely a better word?!?!). Having said that, I wouldn't say noughties architecture is offensive in any way compared to other eras we have suffered!
I dunno, I fear the architecture of the noughties will generally be looked back upon not kindly, as a period defined by grubby white rendered walls and poor quality cladding.
cyril sneer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 09:08 PM   #113
We-Are-Borg-1987
Registered User
 
We-Are-Borg-1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rugby, Warwickshire.
Posts: 1,399
Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril sneer View Post
I dunno, I fear the architecture of the noughties will generally be looked back upon not kindly, as a period defined by grubby white rendered walls and poor quality cladding.
I agree, I just think its better than alot of stuff from the decades before.

Noughties buildings are very much starting to show their age and they look somewhat plain compared to the modern stuff going up. Cladding today seems more intricate, like theres more thought gone into things in terms of detailing e.g. around windows.

I would love to be in a situation where we were creating buildings today which would be worthy of listing and being preserved in perpetuity, but its very much cost-led still.

I think alot of 80's buildings are pretty awful as they are ever so dull, although they aren't necessarily 'offensive' to look at like alot of brutalist buildings e.g. the Britianina hotel. I think the noughties stuff is the same.
We-Are-Borg-1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #114
Suffolk Blue
Registered User
 
Suffolk Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Coventry
Posts: 356
Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by We-Are-Borg-1987 View Post
I agree, I just think its better than alot of stuff from the decades before.

Noughties buildings are very much starting to show their age and they look somewhat plain compared to the modern stuff going up. Cladding today seems more intricate, like theres more thought gone into things in terms of detailing e.g. around windows.

I would love to be in a situation where we were creating buildings today which would be worthy of listing and being preserved in perpetuity, but its very much cost-led still.

I think alot of 80's buildings are pretty awful as they are ever so dull, although they aren't necessarily 'offensive' to look at like alot of brutalist buildings e.g. the Britianina hotel. I think the noughties stuff is the same.
Boring decade, Boring buildings.

Did the 90's produce anything of merit in Coventry? Cant think of any off the top of my head.

50's/60's stuff is far better than the later 70's and 80's stuff.
Suffolk Blue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 06:55 PM   #115
Fernando Partridge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,692
Likes (Received): 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Blue View Post
Boring decade, Boring buildings.

Did the 90's produce anything of merit in Coventry? Cant think of any off the top of my head.

50's/60's stuff is far better than the later 70's and 80's stuff.
Cable and Wireless building Westwood Heath in the 90s
Fernando Partridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 08:47 PM   #116
kthulhu
Registered User
 
kthulhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rugby
Posts: 288
Likes (Received): 39

Some might call it boring, but I do quite like Friars House. Wasn't that built in the late 1980s?
__________________
"Almost completely gone, as if it never existed. But the rift is deep, and vast, and somewhere down there, it stirs. Something has changed, the last prison weakens. We must prepare."
kthulhu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 12:15 AM   #117
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso
 
NewTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coventry
Posts: 7,357
Likes (Received): 1227

Sainsbury's at Canley.
__________________
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 12:47 AM   #118
Dr Pepper
Registered User
 
Dr Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,477
Likes (Received): 1650

BG101 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BG102 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr
__________________
Astronauts report: "It feels good".

cyril sneer, AbidM liked this post
Dr Pepper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 01:02 AM   #119
Covguy
Registered User
 
Covguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 601
Likes (Received): 54

Monster of a building!
Covguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 01:06 AM   #120
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso
 
NewTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coventry
Posts: 7,357
Likes (Received): 1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
BG101 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

BG102 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr
I took a bus into the city centre for a few beers the other night, and from this position this looked fantastic. We need more stuff like this on all these areas around the ring road, IMHO. Does anyone else think this recent spate of building is making the city centre feel different? I can't wait for these to be occupied. Hopefully we'll see more patches of unused built on now.
__________________
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Construction | CBD NORTH | Quay Quarter | 54st/216m | Office & Mixed | U/C Fabian Sydney CBD 1629 Yesterday 09:48 AM
ADDIS ABABA | *Projects Fact File* yosef Addis Ababa 1204 December 3rd, 2019 11:20 PM
[Bratislava] Full Summary of Projects alien Bratislava 636 October 3rd, 2018 01:45 PM
PROJECT LIST プロジェクトリスト - links to all current, upcoming and completed towers Momo1435 Projects & Construction / プロジェクトと工事 10 April 2nd, 2018 09:17 AM
DEVELOPMENT SUMMARY - Teesside Forum PROJECTS Listing Newcastle Historian Teesside 0 October 14th, 2009 10:54 PM


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us