CITY? OR NOT A CITY? - The city status news and discussion thread - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Urban

Urban discussions on urbanisation, urban society, economy, infrastructure, urban events and entertainment

Old August 13th, 2017, 12:39 PM   #101
han29

Likes (Received): 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheldonLee View Post
Penang- Seberang Perai (Province Wellesley)

QUESTION: I thought the Federal had restricted each state can only get one CITY few years ago??
If this is true then this is a really dumb rule
han29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #102
atmapgnew

Likes (Received): 2807

Quote:

QUESTION: I thought the Federal had restricted each state can only get one CITY few years ago?? How come all the sudden, so many council all around the country can upgrade themselves as a city??
If true, how come Selangor got many aah - MBSA, MBPJ, etc... ???

atmapgnew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 08:58 PM   #103
AusJpnKorNzTwn911130

Likes (Received): 131

Re: Federal restricted each state can only get one CITY.

This rule was plain dumb and contradicted since 2005 - 2006 when Miri and PJ was upgraded to city status.

Not to mention last month (November 2017) Johor officially have 2 city council with Johor Bahru Tengah Municipal Council (MPJBT) upgraded to Iskandar Puteri City Council (MBIP).

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nati...r-second-city/

List of City Hall/Council in Malaysia: (so far)

Kuala Lumpur
Penang Island
Ipoh
Petaling Jaya
Shah Alam
Iskandar Puteri
Johor Bahru
Melaka City
Kota Kinabalu
Alor Setar
Kuala Terengganu
Kuching North
Kuching South
Miri

Last edited by AusJpnKorNzTwn911130; December 30th, 2017 at 09:25 PM.
AusJpnKorNzTwn911130 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2017, 09:03 PM   #104
AusJpnKorNzTwn911130

Also, the whole Seremban district was expected to get city status in 2018 by merging the existing Seremban Municipal Council and Nilai Municipal council.

https://technu.nst.com.my/news/natio...status-2018-mb

Meanwhile, below are the municipal council that have passed the POPULATION eligibility (500K) for city status since acquiring city status need to achieve 500K population and annual revenue exceed RM100 million.

1) Seberang Perai (818,197)
2) Kajang (795,522)
3) Klang (744,062)
4) Subang Jaya (708,296)
5) Selayang (542,409)
6) Ampang Jaya (468,961)
7) Sungai Petani (443,488)
8) Kuantan (427,515)

Note that the population statistics was based on 2010 Census so I think population wise Ampang Jaya, and maybe Sungai Petani / Kuantan might (barely) eligible by now.

I think Seberang Perai (MPSP), and most of the municipal council in Klang Valley especially Subang Jaya (MPSJ) are likely in the next line of getting upgraded to city status since they most likely comply with all the condition set by government. Not to mention in the last few years MPSP and MPSJ Jaya have shown interest to upgrade into city status.

https://www.thestar.com.my/metro/com...cil-president/
https://www.thestar.com.my/metro/met...r-city-status/

The biggest issue for MPSP and MPSJ was the area coverage where MPSP covered the whole mainland Penang from Kepala Batas/Tasik Gelugor in the north to Nibong Tebal in the south while MPSJ cover from Batu Tiga Shah Alam in the west to Seri Kembangan/Serdang/UPM in the east.

silverian86 liked this post

Last edited by AusJpnKorNzTwn911130; December 30th, 2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 01:28 PM   #105
atmapgnew

Would have thought that Kota Bharu, Kelantan qualified (for city status) a long time ago mah hehehe !!!

Old January 3rd, 2018, 03:03 PM   #106
daeng_jal

Likes (Received): 2169

though one need a sizeable taxes income to become a city
like rm100mil or is it 150 mil a year?
Old January 4th, 2018, 01:21 AM   #107
atmapgnew

Would have thought Kota Bharu had exceeded the financial 'threshold' some time ago also meh hahaha !!!

Old January 4th, 2018, 07:23 PM   #108
silverian86
Here in My Home...

Likes (Received): 401

If let say selayang get city status, where is its city centre? Taman melawati?...Or selayang town?
Old January 5th, 2018, 01:26 AM   #109
atmapgnew

Obviously it has to be Selayang Town - where ever that might actually be loor hahaha !!!

Old January 5th, 2018, 05:36 PM   #110
liewzr88

Likes (Received): 318

I think I always wondered about City status in Malaysia (and the scramble to get the "accolade"): apart from "prestige" status, does having city status in Malaysia actually mattered much in practice i.e. does a city status also confer wider remit of power within the locale of jurisdiction such as municipal taxation and other municipal services?

Since local/municipal governance in Malaysia is pretty limited since municipal election is abolished and key executives become government appointee, I am thinking the status of a city probably didn't matter much in practice.

ILM, AusJpnKorNzTwn911130 liked this post
liewzr88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:09 PM   #111
daeng_jal

bragging right

personally i really hated them. its one of those thing created to house politician anak buah.and they keep making more and more of it. no one really knows what they used our money for and if something went bad the state gov claims it a third party that they have no control off. if something good happens they comes to the fronts and claims credit. rather than serving the people, it just being used to house 7 people who do the same thing, then replicated the same position on the state and federal level,

i rather they abolished it and turn it into a state department like brunei and singapore did. at east we only pays salaries for 1 person rather than 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmapgnew View Post

Would have thought Kota Bharu had exceeded the financial 'threshold' some time ago also meh hahaha !!!

though they are 80 mil shorts of it
while KT only got it as the state transfer 100 mil a year to them

Kadzman liked this post
daeng_jal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 01:36 AM   #112
atmapgnew

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeng_jal View Post

bragging right

though they are 80 mil shorts of it
while KT only got it as the state transfer 100 mil a year to them
Aah the wonder of a state having oil royalties hahaha !!!

Old January 7th, 2018, 03:34 PM   #113
QalzimCity

Likes (Received): 1383

so far only Selangor and Sarawak awarded with two cities each... Shah Alam and PJ, Kuching and Miri
QalzimCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 03:51 PM   #114
Kadzman

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by QalzimCity View Post
so far only Selangor and Sarawak awarded with two cities each... Shah Alam and PJ, Kuching and Miri
Technically, Sarawak has three. Kuching Utara and Kuching Selatan, plus Miri.

QalzimCity liked this post
Kadzman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 04:47 PM   #115
daeng_jal

johor has 2.
though penangite can soon bragged how their entire state is a city
Old January 7th, 2018, 05:15 PM   #116
atmapgnew

Cannot laaah mate - now only island side is city, seberang yet to get it loor hahaha !!!

ps even when seberang gets it, it'll be 2 cities in 1 whole state & we are so small (even smaller than Malacca) maah hahaha !!!
Old January 14th, 2018, 09:36 AM   #117
AusJpnKorNzTwn911130

Quote:
Originally Posted by liewzr88 View Post
I think I always wondered about City status in Malaysia (and the scramble to get the "accolade"): apart from "prestige" status, does having city status in Malaysia actually mattered much in practice i.e. does a city status also confer wider remit of power within the locale of jurisdiction such as municipal taxation and other municipal services?

Since local/municipal governance in Malaysia is pretty limited since municipal election is abolished and key executives become government appointee, I am thinking the status of a city probably didn't matter much in practice.
Agree with this. I feel like the only difference about the city status was they get more funding/budget from Federal government in and then local authorities can hire more staff to cater the already high population community.
Old January 14th, 2018, 01:14 PM   #118
AusJpnKorNzTwn911130

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nati...h-city-status/

Seremban set to soar with city status
Old July 5th, 2018, 11:30 PM   #119
AusJpnKorNzTwn911130

Quote:
https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/64695

Penang wants city council status for Seberang Prai

THE Penang government intends to apply to the federal government to upgrade the Seberang Prai Municipal Council (MPSP) to a city council.

Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said the state government had earlier wanted to apply for MPSP to be upgraded together with the Penang Municipal Council (MPPP) as city councils.

However, he said, due to the federal government policy of limiting one city to a state, the state government only submitted an application for city status for MPPP and it obtained the status in 2015.

“Since five, six years ago there was indeed such a restriction. Because of this restriction, we only applied for MPPP which ultimately obtained city status in 2015. MPSP had met the criteria for a city since 2008, but due to the policy we did not apply.

“In view of the desire to see if the new federal government will revise the restriction, our officers will follow up with the ministry to determine the current situation,” he told reporters after the swearing in of 24 councillors, including 11 new ones, for the July 2018 to December 2019 session at the MPSP Building, Bandar Perda today. – Bernama, July 2, 2018.

---------
GOOD NEWS for Seberang Perai! / Province of Wellesley!!!!!
But wait, hmmm... Federal rejected Penang state in 2015 because of new rule "One State One City".
Then what happened to the following news in 2017??
Johor is always the most special place in the heart of Federal xD

---------
Iskandar Puteri becomes Johor's second city
Wednesday, 22 Nov 2017

ISKANDAR PUTERI: The Iskandar Puteri City Council (MBIP) has been officially launched, marking Iskandar Puteri as the 14th city in Malaysia and the second in the state of Johor

Johor Ruler Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar officiated at the ceremony at Medini Iskandar here on Wednesday (Nov 22).

Johor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin said the establishment of MBIP proved how developed the area has become.

He added that this would also boost the Iskandar Malaysia development zone.

“This district will be the centre point for high-impact economic activity that would make Johor the new economic powerhouse in Malaysia,” he said.

Mohamed Khaled said the state government wanted to see MBIP not only as a modern city council but also as a symbol of Johor’s history.

“Iskandar Puteri is the old name of the state administration centre that was relocated from Teluk Belanga in Singapore before the name was changed to Johor Baru in 1866.

“The name came after Temenggung Daeng Ibrahim Iskandar reached Tanjung Puteri to found a new administrative location,” he said.

MBIP, previously known as the Johor Baru Central Municipal Council, was started in 2000 after being upgraded from the Johor Baru Central District Council.

MBIP is now the second local authority in Johor to achieve city status after the Johor Baru City Council (MBJB) in 1994.

As of September, MBIP covers 157 residential areas and 45 villages with more than 750,000 residents under its jurisdiction.

Also present at Wednesday’s official ceremony were Permaisuri Johor Raja Zarith Sofiah Binti Sultan Idris Shah, Tunku Mahkota Johor Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim, and Tunku Temenggong Johor Tunku Idris Sultan Ibrahim.

Urban Wellbeing, Housing and Local Government Tan Sri Noh Omar also witnessed the historic event.
I have said this before the "One State One City" policy was a total BS thing since Selangor & Sarawak already have multiple city councils way before Johor does. Now that we already have new federal government, many are already eager to submit application to upgrade into city status once again including Seberang Prai and Subang Jaya.

Quote:
http://www.thesundaily.my/news/2018/...in-city-status

Subang Jaya hoping for third time charm in application to gain city status

SUBANG JAYA: The Subang Jaya Municipal Council (MPSJ) will proceed with its application for city status, said council president Noraini Roslan.

She said the process will require MPSJ to resubmit its application to the state government which would, in turn, forward it to the federal government.

"The onus is on the federal government. If the old policy is changed, there is a high probability that Subang Jaya will achieve city status as we've complied with the conditions put forth by them," she said in a news conference held here today after chairing the council's full board meeting.

She said the previous two applications were not approved due to the federal government's policy for a state to have only one city.

Noraini was responding to a councillor's call to have Subang Jaya gazetted as a city, as MPSJ had fulfilled most of the criteria to become one.

During the meeting, councillor Chang Kim Loong said as a city, the council will have more authority in asserting itself over federal dealings in MPSJ's town affairs.

"For example, it would have more powers to manage public roads, as stipulated under the Road Transport Act 1987. Currently, many of the roads within the boundaries of MPSJ are under the purview of the Federal Public Works Department," he said.
Should minister Zuraida abolished this policy which I think it likely happen, upgrading to MBSP & MBSJ would be a time issue only.
Old July 6th, 2018, 01:58 AM   #120
daeng_jal

I wish selangor just stich up all the councils thats borders KL and call it the Greater KL assembly

lelaki_melayu2003 liked this post
daeng_jal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement