Former Coventry Telegraph Building | Corporation Street | Boutique Hotel/Student Accommodation | 19fl | U/C. - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Coventry Developments

Coventry Developments Proposals and Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #1
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 1228

Former Coventry Telegraph Building | Corporation Street | Mixed-Use | 14fl | Appr.

Here's an outline plan for the Coventry Telgraph Building on Corporation St - a large mixed development of offices, retail, apartments and student accomodation. There's actually two applications for this, one for Corporation Street, the other for an area behind it that fronts Bishop Street.

Planning portal:

http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/port...ageName=894941

It's only an outline plan, so the buildings won't actually be like this, I guess.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 6th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #2
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2757

i like this a lot

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #3
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 15075

Coventry is doing v. well

ReissOmari está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #4
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 2028

I think it'll come out ok - that granite look is preferable to the white cladding on some buildings which gets filthy too quickly. The massing is perfect here too.
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #5
CovAD

Likes (Received): 124

As I said in the other thread I like the design but the grey/black is a bit too dark for my liking - needs brightening up.

Not sure where the demand for it is going to come from though - one part of it is designated as a hotel, when the Radisson planned just across the road has yet to happen, another is office when we're struggling to get Friargate going and others like Bishop's Place have fallen by the wayside.

We've also now got the AXA building which will be lying empty soon, and QCDA has a very uncertain future and certainly won't need the massive building they've got.

Hopefully things will pick up soon though.
CovAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #6
CovAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
Coventry is doing v. well
Maybe as a whole the City isn't doing too bad with it's business and retail parks on the outside of the city, but the city centre is on life support.

AXA are pulling out, QCDA has been cut back drastically and no major retailers wan to come near the place.

All the plans in place don't seem to be going anywhere, and we just seem to be getting more and more student accommodation and student oriented businesses like takeaways - not good. I think there'll be a massive drop-off in students in the coming years, and Coventry Uni doesn't have a good enough reputation to maintain numbers (apart from maybe on some design courses) so a lot of this stuff will end up unused as well.

With Birmingham and Wolverhampton being Enterprise Zones and Coventry not, I can only see the situation getting worse rather than better.
Old April 8th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #7
joshwebb
User Registered

Likes (Received): 789

Is that the tallest building in coventry next to it?
joshwebb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #8
CovAD

It's one of the three tallest tower blocks, all around 60m.

The three spires are taller - 90m, 72m and 66m respectively
Old April 8th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #9
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 796

A pity it's only an outline plan - it looks great for the area although I'm in two minds about the cladding and colour. Personally, I think it has some interesting form. A total re-clad and refurb of the buildings across the road (the Debenhams side) wouldn't go a miss and it needn't be expensive either - good design doesn't ncessarily cost the earth...

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!

Last edited by Typhoon2000; April 8th, 2011 at 09:02 PM.
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #10
skybluecity

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwebb View Post
Is that the tallest building in coventry next to it?
You can see some of the taller buildings in Coventry in this picture, although it doesn't include Friars House, the Ramada Hotel, Civic Centre 4 or Station Tower.

You can see where this new building will fit in to the picture by looking at the other images, and if the 60m 16 storey Radisson Hotel ever gets built (adjacent to the Premier Inn in the picture), then this area will be a lot more built up. The beginnings of a mini-cluster if you like.

skybluecity está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #11
joshwebb
User Registered

Has coventry had any 100m+ proposals?
Old April 10th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #12
skybluecity

Quote:
there was talk in the early days of friargate of a 100m+ landmark building next to the station. in the most recent renders (although they're only indicative) there doesn't seem to be anything that tall. it is possible that at least one of the towers might be 80-90m+ but until we see detailed planning applications it's hard to say. there were also proposals for tall residential towers in the jerde proposals, but they were scaled back, and that is years away...
Old April 10th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #13
skybluecity

Quote:
there was talk in the early days of friargate of a 100m+ landmark building next to the station. in the most recent renders (although they're only indicative) there doesn't seem to be anything that tall. it is possible that at least one of the towers might be 80-90m+ but until we see detailed planning applications it's hard to say. there were also proposals for tall residential towers in the jerde proposals, but they were scaled back, and that is years away...
Old April 10th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #14
joshwebb
User Registered

Everything seems to get scaled down in the west midlands :/
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #15
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 1664

This building needs some sandstone.
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #16
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Did this get permission?

I must admit, I quite like the old Telegraph building. I like the mix of different stone on the front of the building. It's one of the better post-war buildings, IMHO, and fits in well with the Belgrade (Which I also like, far better than the dismal new building.)

The shops/offices opposite at the end of the precinct, though, are rank and cheap looking.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #17
skybluecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
Did this get permission?

I must admit, I quite like the old Telegraph building. I like the mix of different stone on the front of the building. It's one of the better post-war buildings, IMHO, and fits in well with the Belgrade (Which I also like, far better than the dismal new building.)

The shops/offices opposite at the end of the precinct, though, are rank and cheap looking.
The outline plan was approved, but no news since then. Expect they'll sit on this for a few years. Agree, the Telegraph building in isolation is OK, but there is a load of shit around it. Also nice to have something tall in that location.
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #18
phoenix1043
Phoenix1043

Likes (Received): 10

I can't find anything on this recently, has this been another idea gone to pot?
phoenix1043 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #19
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix1043 View Post
I can't find anything on this recently, has this been another idea gone to pot?
The Telegraph have gone now, so I would assume we'd see something.

Corporation Street is pretty dismal now. Virtually dead, especially now AXA and the Telegraph have gone. It's not good for a city centre's main road to be so economically inactive, is it?!?

Old January 19th, 2019, 03:37 PM   #20
skybluecity

Former Coventry Telegraph Building | Corporation Street | Boutique Hotel/Student Accommodation | 19fl | U/C.

Work to convert the former offices of the Coventry Evening Telegraph into a 1950s themed boutique hotel (to be operated by Bespoke Hotels) is now underway.

The development also includes the demolition of several adjacent buildings and the construction of two student accommodation blocks, the tallest of which will be 19 storeys tall.

Original outline planning app: http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/port...et?PKID=785284
Reserved matters application: http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/port...et?PKID=797354

covtel by covkid2, on Flickr

IMG_20190119_103653 by covkid2, on Flickr

Capture by covkid2, on Flickr

Below is an indicative visual of the student blocks which may have been superceded. It appears the original plans for a brick facade have been ditched in favour of cladding (silver) with a brick plinth at lower levels, but there are no visuals for this that I can find.

ct1 by covkid2, on Flickr

Dr Pepper, libero82 liked this post

Last edited by skybluecity; January 19th, 2019 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coventry