CONCERTS, MUSICALS, PERFORMANCES And ARTS in Malaysia - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Urban

Urban discussions on urbanisation, urban society, economy, infrastructure, urban events and entertainment

Old August 29th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #101
skyscraperboy

Likes (Received): 27

Haha, nooooo waaaayyyyyy!!!!

Hah, Roy?? Kopratasa?? Who are they????
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:16 AM   #102
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Likes (Received): 2652

Goody two shoes
By IAN YEE

The people opposed to Avril Lavigne’s concert here would be pretty embarrassed when they find out she’s actually more Miley Cyrus than Alanis Morissette.

Why’d you have to go and make things so complicated?

This writer thinks that should be our anthem the next time people try to manipulate a concert for their own political agenda because after watching last Friday’s Avril Lavigne concert at Stadium Merdeka in Kuala Lumpur, those people who were opposed to it would feel pretty embarrassed once they find out what Avril is really like.

Bundle of energy: Avril Lavigne giving her all on the stage of Stadium Merdeka during her concert in Kuala Lumpur last Friday. – Photo by GLENN GUAN/The Star

It could be our way of reminding them, like “hey you remember when you botched up over that Avril Lavigne concert? Why’d you have to go and make things so complicated?”

The thing is, some obviously uninformed people seem to have this impression of Avril as the angst-ridden teenager, the guitar-trashing punk-rocker or a head-banging junkie.

Oh, please. Don’t tell me you actually thought Avril was like that. Doesn’t mean that because she whacked her Les Paul into some poor guy’s windshield in the Sk8ter Boi video that she’s really some violent, dangerous musician in person? And sorry to shatter all you guys’ dreams out there, but no, she probably doesn’t really skate either.

But I’m telling you, once the 23-year-old Canadian star took to the stage at Stadium Merdeka, the first thing you’d notice was how charming this young lady is. Her voice is almost as sweet as the way she looks, and she never really yelled or screamed to get the crowd going – just cajoling us to sing or wave along.

And when someone as charming as that, singing those annoyingly infectious tunes, asks you to go along with her, you really can’t help but feel compelled to. The 15,000-strong crowd, mostly teens and young adults, were raring for a good night out.

And it really was, a very uncomplicated concert – very simple setting, few musicians, and a few back-up dancers for certain songs. In other words, it was really Avril, which I’m sure was great fun for the throngs of Avril supporters who were there screaming as she went through hits from her three albums.

It started out with a surprisingly subdued, but fun rendition of Girlfriend, and I have to say – Avril is just so adorable! I can’t believe some of those people who protested against her could actually bring themselves to label someone as cute as her, as a threat to our culture and National Day celebrations.

For that first song, she did some of those dance moves fromthe MTV video, and it was just, so, cute! That pretty much set the tone for the rest of the concert as she remained slightly subdued, but yet charming and extremely likeable throughout the night.

I particularly enjoyed the acoustic set in the middle where she showed a bit more of her sensitive side, singing songs like Don’t Tell Me and When You’re Gone. The intimate feel of that part of the concert highlighted Avril’s vocals a bit more, and she managed to deliver pretty well.

Which is why I still don’t really get where this whole assumption that Avril can’t sing comes from. Maybe there’re some YouTube videos of her handling a show badly or something, but on the night, she acquitted herself rather decently. I won’t say she’s a great singer, but she’s definitely good enough to be on stage.

The acoustic set in particular, seemed to be more of Avril’s comfort zone, as she is after all more of a self-taught singer than a professional stage vocalist. The odd difficulty in some big notes aside, I thought she was every bit the accomplished performer. Maybe if she focused more often on her vocals like she did in the acoustic set rather than her jumping around breathlessly to those rock hits, then there’d be fewer accusations of her being a poor singer.

But all in all, I’d have to say this concert was more Miley Cyrus than it was Alanis Morissette in terms of rock factor. And by Alanis Morissette, I mean angry, Jagged Little Pill Alanis. Honestly, I think Miley even packs a bigger punch in her concerts, while Avril is surprisingly, much more intimate, working the crowd by relating with them and talking with them like just another girl next door.

That’s probably the reason why she’s outlasted so many of her peers like Vanessa Carlton and Michelle Branch. She’s into her third album, and she’s still a bankable star. And that’s because while other female solo artistes out there are more intent on overplaying their celebrity status by being tailed by the paparazzi, or seen at exclusive clubs, Avril prefers to keep it real. And judging by her performance here in Malaysia, that’s something that won’t be changing anytime soon.

If you asked me, that’s the best thing that she can do.

So now tell me again, why’d you have to make things so complicated?
rizalhakim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM   #103
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Saturday August 30, 2008
Fuss over Avril proves unfounded
By IAN YEE and NURBAITI HAMDAN

KUALA LUMPUR: All the fuss over Canadian teen pop-rock star Avril Lavigne's concert proved com- pletely unfounded as she belted out a measured performance at Stadium Merdeka last night.

It was a pop concert all right, with no element of a rowdy punk-rock performance as feared by some quarters who had objected to her coming here.

PAS Youth leaders had criticised the timing of the concert, claiming that the culture Lavigne promoted was not appropriate especially so close to Merdeka Day.

Measured performance: Lavigne (top) performing on the stage at Stadium Merdeka during her concert in Kuala Lumpur last night.

But all that steam was lost in the night as Lavigne entertained the estimated 15,000 crowd with songs from her three albums, bursting into life in typical fashion for several hit numbers.

There were many who stood in raincoats to watch the star do her thing. Among those who turned up was Kelana Jaya MP Loh Gwo Burne who is from Parti Keadilan Rakyat.

Lavigne was dressed casually in jeans and a black T-shirt as she took to the stage with her first song Girlfriend, and only had one costume change, into a grey T-shirt, in the one-and-a-half-hour show.

The crowd remained excited throughout, singing and dancing along to Lavigne's entire 17-song set.

However, PAS members (below) distributed flyers to Muslim youths who were about to enter the stadium.

Earlier, about 2,000 flyers were distributed in protest of the performance as the star's The Best Damn Tour concert at Stadium Merdeka yesterday.

The flyers were distributed to Muslim youths who were about to enter the stadium for the concert that started at 8pm.

State Pas Youth chief Kama- rulzaman Mohammad said the flyers were to explain the concept of entertainment in Islam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #104
nazrey

Likes (Received): 15951

High School Musical 3
(HSM3 : Senior Year) is coming!
Anyone?

Now Or Never

[Team]
Sixteen, Sixteen minutes left better get it done
Sixteen, sixteen, sixteen more minutes get ready, game on!
Sixteen, sixteen, sixteen minutes left running out of time!
Sixteen, sixteen, sixteen more minutes till it's on the line!
Sixteen, sixteen, sixteen minutes left gotta get it done
Sixteen, sixteen, sixteen more minutes till we're number 1!
[Coach Bolton]
Let's go team!
[Troy]
Gotta get it together
Yeah, pull up and
Shoot, Score!
Are ya ready? Are ya with me?
[Wildcats]
Team Team Team Yeah
[Troy]
Shake em with the crossover,
[Crowd]
Wildcats!
[Troy]
Tell me, what are we here for? To win
[Troy & Chad]
Cause we know that we're the best team
[Coach Bolton]
Come on Boys Come on Boys Come On!
[Troy & Chad]
The way we play tonight
Is what we leave behind (that's right)
It all comes down to right now
It's up to us (let's go)
So What are we gonna be?
(We're gonna be...)
[Wildcats]
T-E-A-M TEAM
[Troy]
Gotta work it out
Turn it on!
[Wildcats]
Come on!
[Chorus]
This is the last time to get it right
This is the last chance to make it our night
We gotta show what we're all about
(Team: WILDCATS! )
Work Together
This is the last chance to make our mark
History will know who we are!
This is the last game so make it count, it's
Now or Never
[Crowd]
W-I-L-D
[Coach Bolton]
'Atta boy
[Crowd]
Wildcats
You know you are!
W-I-L-D
Wildcats
Come on, Come on
[WHK]
West High Knights,
[Crowd]
Yeah
[WHK]
Yeah, we're doin' it right
[Crowd]
Oh yeah
W-I-L-D
Wildcats
Nows the Time
[Troy]
Gotta get it inside, down low
Forget the pain now shoot, score!
(DEFENSE)
Gotta work it together
Gimmie the ball (x3)
Let's work
Get the ball under control
Get it flop from downtown
3, 4
[Chad]
Show 'em we can do it better (no way)
Go Go Go
[Coach Bolton]
Come on Boys
[Crowd]
Wildcats!
[Troy & Chad]
The way we play tonight
Is what we leave behind
It all comes down to right now
It's up to us
So What are we gonna be?
(We're gonna be...)
[Wildcats]
T-E-A-M TEAM
[Troy]
Gotta work it out
Turn it on!
[Wildcats]
Come on
[Chorus]
This is the last time to get it right
This is the last chance to make it our night
(Team: WILDCATS! )
Work Together
This is the last chance to make our mark (HOOPS! )
History will know who we are!
This is the last game so make it count, it's
Now or Never
[Troy]
Right now I can hardly breath
[Gabriella]
Ohh, you can do it
Just know that I believe
[Troy]
And that's all I really need
[Gabriella]
Then come on
[Troy]
Make me strong
[Troy & Wildcats]
It's time to turn it up
Game on!
[Crowd]
Wildcats
Gonna tear it up
Go Wildcats
Yeah, we're number one
Hey Wildcats
We're the champions
Go Go Go Go Go Go Team Oh
[WHK]
Yeah West High Knights
Yeah we're puttin up a fight
[Crowd]
Wildcats
We never quit it (what)
Gonna win it (what)
Let me hear ya say
Hey Hey Hey Hey Hey
[Troy]
This is the last time to get it right (Oh)
This is the last chance to make it our night (Yeah)
(Team, WILDCATS! )
Work Together
This is the last chance to make our mark
HIstory will know who we are!
This is the last game so make it, count it's
Now or Never
Yeah
[Crowd]
Go Go
[Coach Bolton]
Go!
[Crowd]
Gooooooooooooooooooooo!
nazrey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #105
nazrey

Old September 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #106
skyscraperboy

Likes (Received): 27

not a fan of HSM.
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #107
nazrey

US version of Indian Bollywood movie!

Last edited by nazrey; September 7th, 2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #108
nazrey

High School Musical 2 - You Are The Music In Me

Asian Version

Old September 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #109
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

2008 MTV Music Awards

Best New Artist: Tokio Hotel 'Ready, Set, Go!'
Best Rock Video: Linkin Park 'Shadow of the Day'
Best Female Video: Britney Spears 'Piece of Me'
Best Male Video: Chris Brown 'With You'
Best Hip Hop Video: Lil Wayne 'Lollipop'
Best Pop Video : Britney Spears 'Piece of Me'
Best Dancing In A Video: Pussycat Dolls 'When I Grow Up'
Video Of The Year: Britney Spears'Piece of Me'
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:32 AM   #110
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Old September 10th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #111
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

new song feat Mariah Carey, Rihanna, Beyonce, Fergie, Leona Lewis, Mary J & many more.

Last edited by rizalhakim; September 10th, 2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #112
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

supercool new song from T.I feat Rihanna - Live ur Life

Old September 11th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #113
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Mötley Crüe to rock Singapore

Forget Guns ‘n’ Roses. It’s Mötley Crüe that is keeping the flame of the bad boy LA scene of the 1980s alive. Who would have thought that Mötley Crüe would have survived that “live fast, die young” era and be the unlikeliest Los Angeles hard rock relic around with highly bankable prospects on the touring circuit? The original Crüe bad boys – Vince Neil, Nikki Sixx, Tommy Lee and Mick Mars are still going strong.

The quartet has proven to be a formidable unit with a new record and world tour to unleash on the masses.

Mötley Crüe has scheduled a concert date in Singapore on Oct 16. The band plays the outdoor Fort Canning Park and this is the first ever show in South-East Asia for the Crüe after 27 years in the business. With over 80 million records sold worldwide, Mötley Crüe is a band that defines both musicianship and showmanship.

Motley Crüe’s (from left) Mick Mars, Nikki Sixx, Vince Neil and Tommy Lee will play at Fort Canning Park in Singapore next month.

Malaysian fans, who had to endure the band’s blurred MTV videos on RTM all those years back, should not miss this once-in-a- lifetime opportunity to see the original Mötley Crüe perform its many hits for first time ever in this region.

Armed with classic albums like Theatre of Pain, Girls, Girls, Girls and Dr Feelgood, Mötley Crüe made rock ‘n’ roll what it is today. Without the Crüe, stadium rock in the 1990s might have been all about Journey, Foreigner, Kansas and REO Speedwagon. And the band is not about to let it happen in 2008, either. “This is what we need,” said guitarist Mick Mars about the band’s new album Saints of Los Angeles and world tour.

“Artistes dictating what will happen musically. This is not a safe bet, a show for the weak of heart,” he added. And, you guessed right, Mötley Crüe is just the band to give it to us.

General admission tickets, on sale now, cost S$140 (RM322). Book them at (www.sistic.com.sg) or call 02-63485555. Note: ticket pricing will increase closer to the show date, so book your tickets early. The concert is organised by LAMC Productions.
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #114
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

coolest song of the year
homecoming - kanye west feat chris martin

Old September 15th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #115
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Mamma Mia! is coming here

Mamma Mia! — the world’s No.1 musical — is coming to Kuala Lumpur from London during the Christmas and New Year holiday season, making its appearance in this region for the first time.

Final arrangements for the hugely successful musical, based on ABBA’s hit songs from the 70s and 80s, are being made by The Star.

According to a statement from Star Publications (M) Bhd, the show will let Malaysians experience this top act from London’s West End and relive their favourite songs from the Swedish pop group.

The ABBA hit songs include Honey, Honey; Money, Money, Money; Thank You for the Music; I Have a Dream; Super Trouper; Dancing Queen; Voulez-Vous; Winner Takes It All and, of course, Mamma Mia.

“This is also an opportunity to provide good, clean and quality entertainment to Malaysians and our Asian neighbours during the holiday season,’’ the statement adds.

Mamma Mia! will be performed at Istana Budaya Kuala Lumpur from Dec 17, 2008, to Jan 1, 2009.

The musical has been seen by over 30 million people worldwide and an estimated 17,000 people see the show daily around the world in major cities.

From its popularity and rave reviews worldwide, it is anticipated that Mamma Mia! will be one of the most successful and memorable musicals to arrive on Malaysian shores.

This musical is one of the most successful in musical history and will be good for corporate branding and for a good cause, says the statement.

Over the years, The Star has brought to Malaysia a myriad of shows, concerts and musicals that are wholesome, educational and entertaining. The musicals include My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music and Oliver!.

The shows include Mystical Steppes: Along the Silk Road, Wild Zebra, Shaolin Kung Fu Masters – The Legend, Shaolin Kung Fu Masters Return! and Dances of the Dynasties.

Join us in making Mamma Mia! the most exciting event in Malaysia this holiday season.

Watch out for more details in The Star.
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #116
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

cool song from M.I.A - Paper Planes

Old September 18th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #117
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

my current fav songs...

John Legend Feat. Andre 3000 - Green Light

GYM CLASS HEROES feat The Dream - Cookie Jar
Old September 20th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #118
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Krall expected to enthral
Malina Jeya Palan
MULTI-GRAMMY award winner Diana Krall will be in town in October as part of her "Greatest Hits World Tour."

MUSICAL TREAT: US jazz pianist and singer Diana Krall is set to perform in Kuala Lumpur next month.

Fans will be in for a treat, but they will have to move fast for tickets as Krall will be performing for one night only on Oct 2.

The Canadian comes from a musical family and started playing the piano at the young age of four.

Krall grew up listening to her father's record collection which inspired her love for jazz.

The concert will be held at the Plenary Hall at the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre.

VIP and VVIP packages are also available for Visa cardholders.

Tickets for the concert are available at the website, www.axcess.com.my.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:22 AM   #119
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Pink - so what from MTV Music Awards - currently no.1 in US Chart

Old September 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #120
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Kylie Minogue - The One