PEDESTRIAN WALKWAYS & SKYBRIDGES | Kuala Lumpur | News, Updates, Pics & Discussion - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Urban

Urban discussions on urbanisation, urban society, economy, infrastructure, urban events and entertainment

Old March 20th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #21
byong_sun

Likes (Received): 1194

i hope these walkway wont be the place for beggars and thieves to operate.cityhall should install cctv at these type of place
byong_sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2009, 01:17 PM   #22
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Likes (Received): 2653

i like the pedestrian walk bridge at berjaya times square...got aircorn n small shop!!
rizalhakim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:26 PM   #23
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1921

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
huh. unfortunately Bangkok has a good overhead bridges even tho they are not that long.

I believe you've been to BKK recently and of course you must've forgotten bout the long walkway connecting Chit Lom BTS station with all major hotels and shopping complexes all the way until the Siam Station (I am not too sure if it is a continuous connection as I was there in 2003 and they are not really connected yet). The other way goes all the way to Phloen Chit Station. If that is not long then what is long?

In KL, the only 'well-connected' station which actually connects 2 shopping malls is the Bukit Bintang Station which connects Lot10 and Sg. Wang Plaza. Another which has merit is the Imbi Monorail station which connects Plaza Berjaya and Berjaya Times Sq.
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:30 AM   #24
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong View Post
In KL, the only 'well-connected' station which actually connects 2 shopping malls is the Bukit Bintang Station which connects Lot10 and Sg. Wang Plaza. Another which has merit is the Imbi Monorail station which connects Plaza Berjaya and Berjaya Times Sq.
er, what about KLCC station, which connects underground to Avenue K and Suria KLCC?

KLCC is #2 on my list of megamalls in KL with the best (current & future) public transport connections.

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:42 AM   #25
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

no.2?? so wats ur no.1??
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #26
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizalhakim View Post
no.2?? so wats ur no.1??
MidValley got #1 on the list.

The reason is because of the current KTM Komuter + small bus hub which beats KLCC's current LRT + bus hub.

And also there is the potential for future RapidKL LRT + Monorail + KTM Abullah Hukum connections.

my view is that MidValley would have been perfect if it had an integrated public transport terminal at the base...

Centrally located with bus, LRT, intercity bus, express bus, KLIA Express and KTM...boat transport even?...and a mega mall + offices + hotels on top....

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #27
patchay

Likes (Received): 1528

someone wrote in TheStar today to state his preference for more trees along streets rather than these could-turned-out-ugly walkways

PATCHAY | Website | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter | Instagram | Foursquare
patchay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #28
regjeex
Daghay na BANN3D_lol

Likes (Received): 354

exactly! underpasses can actually help to keep street clean and not an eye shore... skyways pedestrian in some other junctions are not good... Like in Makati the junctions are clearly widened because of the underpass. I hope in Global City in taguig will build underpasses to make more beautiful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by argory View Post
From pictures, Bangkok looks quite cluttered on a street level because of these elevated structures.
Makati also uses a few skybrigdes, but when it is a major crossroad junction, they go for underpasses. They have very beautiful and wide avenues in Makati and pedestrian underpasses help traffic flow and preserve aesthetics. I think we cant just settle for cheap things anymore - especially urban facilities.
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #29
Jubilee

Likes (Received): 0

Yep but for these in KL.It will easier to connect it with KL monorail,LRT by walkways or skybridges and then it's cheaper!!
Jubilee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #30
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

yeah cheaper is the main reason here...yunolah we malaysian complaint a lot...specially if its a high cost project!!!

i hope they can built more skybridge like the one at Berjaya Times Square...not the monorail but the skybridge connected to sg wang plaza back entrance... really nice!!!
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #31
regjeex
Daghay na BANN3D_lol

we can consider walkways in every street as long as its unique and beautiful... but in total it's really an eye shore.... Kuala Lumpur is one of my choice city together with bankok ang Jakarta... CBD is really need to develop with underpass to make more beautiful... good example is in CBD of Makati they already been developed and lots of tourist around the world really enjoying their visits...
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #32
regjeex
Daghay na BANN3D_lol

making skybridge is good as long as it'll connect from mall to mall... not in the main street... we take an example in Greenbelt in Makati.. they have skybridges connected to other mall... (LandMark Mall) however, in the main street is not good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizalhakim View Post
yeah cheaper is the main reason here...yunolah we malaysian complaint a lot...specially if its a high cost project!!!

i hope they can built more skybridge like the one at Berjaya Times Square...not the monorail but the skybridge connected to sg wang plaza back entrance... really nice!!!
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #33
patchay

Likes (Received): 1528

not that i like to complain, but i think KL CBD is not really develop yet..... lotsa potholes here n there, then u see lotsa construction site.. then the pavements are very sandy, broken and most times unconnected... not to mention the absence of some amenities like very few bus stops, taxi stops, etc

i think the pavement and roadside greens in front of Marc and Ascott is wat KL CBD should have....

PATCHAY | Website | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter | Instagram | Foursquare
patchay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #34
James Foong

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by regjeex View Post
exactly! underpasses can actually help to keep street clean and not an eye shore... skyways pedestrian in some other junctions are not good... Like in Makati the junctions are clearly widened because of the underpass.
add to your comments, underpass takes lesser time to crossover because of no height restriction imposed as to elevated cross. hence, less pedestrian space has to be occupied by the structure. the people who came out with their 'BIG' ideas of elevated crossing on busy streets may hv different idea behind...sell ads space on the bridge, and reap profits all the way.

but why underpass is so unpopular in kl? think of the city unpredictable flash flood going on.
James Foong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #35
regjeex
Daghay na BANN3D_lol

Well, if your city engineers have bright ideas of whatsoever, they can probably get an easiest way like underpasses... However, if your government really wants to have underpass then they must go for it, else we have no choice because that's what your government wants. There are some parts of the Philippines that has no underpass... but Makati is well organized one.. we have also in Quezon City. I hope this Global City of Taguig will propose soon. We dont have monorail yet but Philippines can actually compete when it comes to infra... I hope Malaysia can do the same thing.. because your country is great! and I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Foong View Post
add to your comments, underpass takes lesser time to crossover because of no height restriction imposed as to elevated cross. hence, less pedestrian space has to be occupied by the structure. the people who came out with their 'BIG' ideas of elevated crossing on busy streets may hv different idea behind...sell ads space on the bridge, and reap profits all the way.

but why underpass is so unpopular in kl? think of the city unpredictable flash flood going on.
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #36
argory

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
That is probably the most worrying reason that they might very well go ahead and build these ugly things.

Quote:
Surely not all areas in KL are flood prone? And there should be ways to mitigate it I assume.

Last edited by argory; March 25th, 2009 at 06:56 PM.
argory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #37
argory

Quote:
Originally Posted by regjeex View Post
Well, if your city engineers have bright ideas of whatsoever, they can probably get an easiest way like underpasses... However, if your government really wants to have underpass then they must go for it, else we have no choice because that's what your government wants. There are some parts of the Philippines that has no underpass... but Makati is well organized one.. we have also in Quezon City. I hope this Global City of Taguig will propose soon. We dont have monorail yet but Philippines can actually compete when it comes to infra... I hope Malaysia can do the same thing.. because your country is great! and I love it.
I have to honestly say that KL fairs much better in overall infra than Manila. I was impressed with the underpasses along Ayala Avenue, but some of the adjacent streets were a nightmare to cross in the peaks. I loved the city though.
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #38
erwinkarim

Likes (Received): 938

Quote:

maintenance? you need higher upkeep to get the lights flowing and the path clean.

or else, it's a den for beggers, muggers and drug addicts.
erwinkarim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #39
byong_sun

Likes (Received): 1194

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinkarim View Post
maintenance? you need higher upkeep to get the lights flowing and the path clean.

true,true,true!
byong_sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #40
argory

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinkarim View Post

I think any urban facility will need maintenance – which is where our cukai pintu should rightly go to instead of channeling bits of money to fancy pots and rubbish bins, hanging decorative lights, imported trees and instant plants.

If these underpasses are given adequate security it should be alright. There could even be studied options to close underpasses after a certain period according to the busyness of the area, perhaps after midnight – when all businesses have closed. This prevents vagrants and other types of abuses.

However, I don’t think we need underpasses everywhere, just where they serve better (for pedestrians, vehicular traffic and aesthetics). The rest can be simple at-grade sheltered walkways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement