MALAYSIA IN RANKINGS | Ranking & positions of our country in various indexes around the world - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Urban

Urban discussions on urbanisation, urban society, economy, infrastructure, urban events and entertainment

Old May 10th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #81
jlshyang

Likes (Received): 13

My heart goes to Penang.

The glorious food!! We have beaches, hills, colonial buildings, gardens, malls, modern high rises, not so hectic lifestyle, nice weather, a good mix of Chinese, Malay, Indian, Eurasians and not forgetting our considerably large expat community. Northern region's centre of everything, education - USM, INTI, Disted Stamford, Segi, IPG, KDU etc. Longest bridge in Malaysia.....bla bla bla.

picturesque views! Well, it's my hometown, of course i love it so does other Penangites elsewhere. Penangites are known as ' Penangites Balik Setiap Minggu' (PBSM) in my college coz we penangites are always homesick. We miss the food etc etc and we don't fall for KL as easily as our classmates from other states, lol. Hope i don't offend anybody, hahaha.

Second best city to live in -------> Subang Jaya - Everything in 1 place.

-------------> Bukit Damansara/Pusat Bandar Damansara/Medan Damansara - Nothing except for it's very strategic location. Short distance to Bangsar, Sri Hartamas, Bandar Utama, TTDI and KL.
jlshyang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #82
Magician
Hellexpress

Likes (Received): 131

Let's analyze state or city by city...

My personal choice.

Penang
- basically I am from Penang, so there's a little bit of bias. OK, Penang has almost everything that the citizens need, of course perhaps maybe for certain things you still need to get it from KL. However, Penang has the city, has the beach, has the mountain, has the historical value, has the economic power, has the job opportunities, has good connection to other countries (air, road and sea)... the list goes on.

KL
KL, well, KL has everything... more than one needs. However, one thing that KL lacks of is the beach. Some of you may argue that you can go Port Dickson, but that's not within KL. Even mountain, Genting is not considered as part of KL's, although is reachable. So, I would consider KL to be lacked of some natural sites. But, to be the most developed city, most populated city and most advance city in Malaysia, KL can promise you everything you need, job... shopping... and everything!

JB
Honestly, I don't quite like JB. My apologies to all Johorians. JB has the economic power too. Job opportunities are highly available too. But, to be honest, if I were to choose to live in JB, I rather step one step ahead and move to Singapore which can promise me a better living and perhaps job offer.

The rest of the cities, towns... I am not very sure... other highly recommended cities will be

KK
Most developed city in east Malaysia. It appears to be like KL in west Malaysia. So, I presume KK can give you everything you need.

Kuching
Cleanest city in Malaysia. That's the selling point.

All the above are just my personal feeling
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #83
alienwong

Likes (Received): 0

For me, my ranking is:

1)Klang Valley- my preferable place that i would like to go after graduate from MMU!
2)Johor Bahru- my favourite place that i prefer after KL and high developed city in my own view.
3)Melaka- the place i live for few years during my university time and feel comfortable.
4)Penang- the place i think quite good too but too far from hometown.

Last edited by alienwong; May 11th, 2006 at 10:12 AM.
alienwong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #84
gordonv612

I list some of them----

1st - Malacca - Well, what can I say...This is my home town..I just love Malacca..not much reason I can give...traffic not as bad as other states...Loves the food here.....food are not that expensive....Love the people here...and also love all my friends in Malacca ...

2nd - PJ - I loves Kl but I decided to choose PJ bcoz of the terrible terrific jams in KL ......PJ also have one of the largest mall in Malaysia - 1-U...Maybe I might go KL work after my graduation But hope to live outskirt of KL ...perhaps Pj, Ampang, Shah Alam and so on...

3. Penang - one of the fastest developing state in Malaysia.....Quite a lot numbers of high rise buildings.....has some nice shopping malls....has longest bridge in Malaysia ....For me, penang comes second after KL.....
gordonv612 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #85
alienwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician
KK
Most developed city in east Malaysia. It appears to be like KL in west Malaysia. So, I presume KK can give you everything you need.

Kuching
Cleanest city in Malaysia. That's the selling point.

All the above are just my personal feeling
I never go to KK and Kuching before. Are these two places developed compare to Penang, KL and JB?

What i hear is Kuching and KK are the cities that quite nice.........
alienwong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #86
AFL

Likes (Received): 349

KK is never like KL...no more than five shopping malls serve the city...no real tall skyscrapers and its just a small city by the sea
"The community is now no longer about the people, but about shops and polluting motorcars. A sad thing that is to befall a town when it has lost its civic community and is transformed into a soulless shopping centre..." Awang Goneng, a Malaysian blogger.
AFL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #87
OshHisham

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyprince
9) Kuala Lumpur
=> The most cosmopolitan city in the world and the capital of the most wonderful country on earth . But it has three functions .. Mini Malaysia, Mini China, and Mini India. Don`t need to travel to China or India, you can find them here in KL.
mini Malaysia? in KL?.....malaysia in malaysia?.......emm...can't get it
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #88
OshHisham

Likes (Received): 7

i think u guys forgot to mention this city.......Kota Bharu!
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #89
airweckie

kuching. the san fransisco of malaysia. laidback and breathtaking. and the grass is always greener.
airweckie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #90
Very Controversial
Support The Environment

Likes (Received): 4

I would say KL. Unless someone tells me what other cities have to offer that is nice that KL does not offer.
Very Controversial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #91
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 29

Penang! don't you love it when you can go to a historical city, then to a modern shopping mall, then the beach, the hills, cross the straits, and back to the city again all in one day?

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #92
cooltemper

Penang is my number 1 choice!!!
I have stayed in Johor for 4 years (study) and now working in Shah Alam (2 yrs) and of course grow up in Penang-Butterworth. No place is better than living in Penang/Butterworth. Standard of living is high, but expenses is low. No need to go out with car everytime (like in KL/PJ), sometime can take motorbike. Beach, Mountain (BM Hill, Penang Hill), Dam, Historical Building, Malls, University, Colleges, Entertainment, Foods, Friendly People. And if you are a person who like to "chase ""STAR""', whenever there are singer from Taiwan/SG/HK, Penang will sure be chosen as one of the station for their promote tour.

Just like the advertisement in radio, "YOU GET EVERYTHING YOU WANT IN ONE PLACE"
cooltemper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #93
jlshyang

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltemper
Penang is my number 1 choice!!!
I have stayed in Johor for 4 years (study) and now working in Shah Alam (2 yrs) and of course grow up in Penang-Butterworth. No place is better than living in Penang/Butterworth. Standard of living is high, but expenses is low. No need to go out with car everytime (like in KL/PJ), sometime can take motorbike. Beach, Mountain (BM Hill, Penang Hill), Dam, Historical Building, Malls, University, Colleges, Entertainment, Foods, Friendly People. And if you are a person who like to "chase ""STAR""', whenever there are singer from Taiwan/SG/HK, Penang will sure be chosen as one of the station for their promote tour.

Just like the advertisement in radio, "YOU GET EVERYTHING YOU WANT IN ONE PLACE"
jlshyang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #94
Skyprince

What is Malaysia`s literacy rate ?

I have 2 data :

CIA: 88.9 % ( 2003 )
http://www.actetsme.org/mala/malaecon.htm: 94 % ( 2003 )

Which is the real one ?
Skyprince está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #95
travellator
klite

Likes (Received): 561

from the dept of statistics....' The literacy rate among Malaysian citizens aged 10 - 64 years improved from 88.6% in 1991 to 93.5% in 2000' from the population & housing census 2000

more education statistics can be found here http://www.statistics.gov.my/english/news/pressedu.htm
travellator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #96
Magician
Hellexpress

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienwong
I never go to KK and Kuching before. Are these two places developed compare to Penang, KL and JB?

What i hear is Kuching and KK are the cities that quite nice.........
True... I heard too Kuching and KK are nice cities. But, personally I think if you are talking about development... KK and Kuching maybe still behind Penang and JB...
Old May 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #97
cyberjaya

Likes (Received): 8

hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyprince
1) Shah Alam
=> absolutely , and undoubtedly , the best city in Malaysia. Clean, convenient, no traffic, architecturally impressive, and relaxing. Not as boring as many people said !

2) Miri
=> Why ? Clean, systematic, a resort city. Beautiful mini-KLIA style airport. Many parks, friendly locals. The most beautiful city to watch from the sky !

3) Putrajaya
=> More beautiful than Shah Alam but the problem is I selalu kena gigit nyamuk lah !

4) Petaling Jaya
=> Very modern with world-class shopping malls and private institutions but the traffic buat I sakit kepala !

5) Labuan
6) Kota Kinabalu
7) Serdang/Bangi
8) Kuching

9) Kuala Lumpur
=> The most cosmopolitan city in the world and the capital of the most wonderful country on earth . But it has three functions .. Mini Malaysia, Mini China, and Mini India. Don`t need to travel to China or India, you can find them here in KL.

10) Sibu
I'm in Cyberjaya but I can't agree with you to put Putrajaya to #3:
How can the best livable city be without any entertainment like a theater?!
cyberjaya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #98
AFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberjaya
I'm in Cyberjaya but I can't agree with you to put Putrajaya to #3:
How can the best livable city be without any entertainment like a theater?!
The most livable cities are not actually judged by how much entertainment really are in the area...its more to do with urban sustainable management.

I know Vancouver was the most livable city in the world few years back (or still maintain the lead till now???)
"The community is now no longer about the people, but about shops and polluting motorcars. A sad thing that is to befall a town when it has lost its civic community and is transformed into a soulless shopping centre..." Awang Goneng, a Malaysian blogger.
Old May 14th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #99
AFL

some of the data in the CIA world factbook are outdated...

Last edited by AFL; May 14th, 2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old May 14th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #100
kuchingbite

Likes (Received): 72

I think the most livable cities are actually judged by no disaster, no citied pressure, low crimes, lives calmly and steadily... in that city, that is what i know about it.
kuchingbite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement