Colombo Megapolis - plans, projects and development - Page 272 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Sri Lanka > Infrastructure, Transportation & Economy

Infrastructure, Transportation & Economy Discussing developments in infrastructure, transportation & economy


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 18th, 2020, 10:57 AM   #5421
Shakeel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,164
Likes (Received): 211

Is Maga building another office block called Maga Two. I heard the first tower is fully occupied.
Shakeel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 19th, 2020, 05:23 AM   #5422
THE PREDATOR
Registered User
 
THE PREDATOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 606
Likes (Received): 646

High-rise buildings: Big shake-up in UDA regulations in 3 months

In the wake of the Daily Mirror Eye’s investigative piece, ‘High-rise Corruption’ on buildings and planning violations of apartment projects in Colombo and the suburbs, the Urban Development Authority (UDA) working on introducing reforms to the existing building and planning regulations for high-rise apartment projects countrywide.

UDA's Colombo Metro Region Director Lalith Wijayaratne said he had received a directive from high government officials to introduce major changes to the 34-year-old approval, planning and building regulations of the UDA pertaining to high-rise apartment projects. (Those above 30 metres are categorised as ‘high-rise’ buildings and ‘super high-rise’ buildings).

He said Cabinet approval would be sought to reinforce the new regulations with a new set of programmes to make the UDA regulations compatible with the field of modern development and that the proposals would be implemented within three months.

One of the main issues that the Eye’s article pointed out was the absence of an administrative system to audit whether developers had followed the existing regulations for their already approved apartment projects. Mr. Wijayaratne said the new regulations would introduce a special monitoring mechanism to keep an eye on apartment projects till construction was complete.

“There are more than 20,000 unauthorized constructions in Colombo. These projects have blatently violated regulations by changing their initial plans after obtaining building permits,” he said.

Another point highlighted in Eye’s article was the lack of one government institution (one-stop-shop) to provide approvals to apartment developers, instead of having different authorities to give clearances and approvals where the avenues for bribery and corruption are very high. ​

Mr. Wijayaratne said that for the purpose of maintaining transparency in the preliminary plan-clearance procedure, the UDA hopes to set up a ‘One-Stop Unit’ with the aim of reducing the time gaps and hopefully bribery and corruption involving government officials.

He said under the new regulations, the number of floors for an apartment project would be decided based on the on the extent of the block of land, the degree of sewerage/water/electricity facilities, etc., and that the new UDA regulations would pay special attention to apartment projects proposed to be constructed in coastal areas and historically important areas.

However, when asked Mr. Wijayaratne said the UDA had not been able to come up with a good solution to penalize apartment developers who violate regulations including those at already completed constructions.

http://www.dailymirror.lk/breaking_n...ths/108-183329
__________________

zeeron liked this post
THE PREDATOR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2020, 10:20 AM   #5423
raji j
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maharagama , Canberra
Posts: 271
Likes (Received): 166

Proposed Zoo in Piliyandala: Cabinet paper to be presented soon



Proposed Zoo in Piliyandala: Cabinet paper to be presented soon
Tuesday February 18, 2020 17:37:01

A Cabinet paper for a proposed Zoological Garden in Kahapola, Piliyandala will be presented to the cabinet in the coming weeks, a top official from the Ministry of Urban Development, Water Supply and Housing Facilities said.

According to a statement issued by the Ministry, an 81 acre land has been already allocated for this proposed new Zoological Garden which is a joint project by the Ministry of Urban Development, Water Supply and Housing Facilities and the Ministry of Environment and Wild Life Resources.

Through this project, the government expects to reduce the congestion at the Dehiwala zoo and aid the achievement of the targeted USD 10 billion revenue from the tourism industry by the the country.

Speaking to EconomyNext the official from the ministry said that the animals will be able to roam freely in the new zoo while the visitors will be able to watch them without disturbing their natural activities.

https://economynext.com/proposed-zoo...ed-soon-51195/
raji j no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2020, 10:55 AM   #5424
Shakeel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,164
Likes (Received): 211

So many zoos in different parts of the country. Have they been opened and functional or just white elephants. This proposed zoo should be adequate to house all animals in the Dehiwala zoo. The Dehiwala zoo is a mess and needs to be shut down.
__________________

ArchEnthusiast liked this post
Shakeel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2020, 11:46 AM   #5425
Apu de Beaumarchais
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 228
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonbag View Post
Why am I not surprised by this, with all these apartments and high rises how many of them don't have adequate fire suppression systems? It's only a matter of time before a Grenfell tower Fire might occur in one of these shoddily built apartments in Colombo. Like my previous post about the Colombo fire service.

A woefully equipped fire service and cowboy developers building apartments and high rise not within the legal guidelines and legislation is a recipe for disaster.I pray nothing like Grenfell tower occurs in Colombo, but articles like this don't give me a good feeling.
And then the UDA comes out all guns firing after years of slumber...

High-rise buildings: Big shake-up in UDA regulations in 3 months

Just read the comment below the article......sums up the sorry story.
__________________

Goonbag, ArchEnthusiast liked this post
Apu de Beaumarchais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2020, 11:48 AM   #5426
Goonbag
Registered User
 
Goonbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50
Likes (Received): 50

coincidence, I don't think so. This is typical of many organizations when they are caught out by the media, they state changes and crackdowns, but in the end, nothing happens and it reverts back to the same old ways.

Last edited by Goonbag; February 20th, 2020 at 11:48 AM. Reason: a word
Goonbag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2020, 11:29 AM   #5427
kp92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 435
Likes (Received): 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by raji j View Post
Proposed Zoo in Piliyandala: Cabinet paper to be presented soon



Proposed Zoo in Piliyandala: Cabinet paper to be presented soon
Tuesday February 18, 2020 17:37:01

A Cabinet paper for a proposed Zoological Garden in Kahapola, Piliyandala will be presented to the cabinet in the coming weeks, a top official from the Ministry of Urban Development, Water Supply and Housing Facilities said.

According to a statement issued by the Ministry, an 81 acre land has been already allocated for this proposed new Zoological Garden which is a joint project by the Ministry of Urban Development, Water Supply and Housing Facilities and the Ministry of Environment and Wild Life Resources.

Through this project, the government expects to reduce the congestion at the Dehiwala zoo and aid the achievement of the targeted USD 10 billion revenue from the tourism industry by the the country.

Speaking to EconomyNext the official from the ministry said that the animals will be able to roam freely in the new zoo while the visitors will be able to watch them without disturbing their natural activities.

https://economynext.com/proposed-zoo...ed-soon-51195/
As a resident of Piliyandala, can I just point out just how absolutely pointless this is when there's so much else that needs to be done? Miriswatte junction and the roads that connect the Kesbewa road to the bypass (which itself was built because Gamini Lokuge refused the main road to be expanded because his shops would go) are constantly deadlocked in traffic. The road that goes through the town is still blocked by buses despite the last government planning to move the bus stand on to the bypass road. The road at the Kesbewa end of the town needs repair. The Piliyandala-Maharagama road is completely incapable of handling the traffic it now handles. Even the 255 road junction is a mess at most times of the week.

With all this shit to fix, they're opening a zoo? This is like a man whose house is on fire deciding to do a bit of gardening.
__________________
kp92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2020, 09:07 AM   #5428
Apu de Beaumarchais
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 228
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp92 View Post
As a resident of Piliyandala, can I just point out just how absolutely pointless this is when there's so much else that needs to be done? Miriswatte junction and the roads that connect the Kesbewa road to the bypass (which itself was built because Gamini Lokuge refused the main road to be expanded because his shops would go) are constantly deadlocked in traffic. The road that goes through the town is still blocked by buses despite the last government planning to move the bus stand on to the bypass road. The road at the Kesbewa end of the town needs repair. The Piliyandala-Maharagama road is completely incapable of handling the traffic it now handles. Even the 255 road junction is a mess at most times of the week.

With all this shit to fix, they're opening a zoo? This is like a man whose house is on fire deciding to do a bit of gardening.


Typical Sri Lankan style.....cart before horse.

There are more than enough urban malaise to deal with....but obviously someone is getting a big commission.

But who are we to complain....people voted for these jokers....
__________________

kp92 liked this post
Apu de Beaumarchais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:36 AM   #5429
TallBox
Registered User
 
TallBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,262
Likes (Received): 657

Prioritization criteria for the approval of Govt projects in SL:
1) Is there a ribbon-cutting/good photo opportunity with it?
2) Are there political votes in it? Is it in an electorally significant district?
3) How long can construction be prolonged for in order to maximize the length of time a massive billboard with my benevolent-looking photo can stay up?
4) Can I/my wife make money on the side in our Singaporean bank account from it?
__________________
Nous sommes tous Ronnie Pickering

Apu de Beaumarchais liked this post
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:00 AM   #5430
prsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 111
Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBox View Post
Prioritization criteria for the approval of Govt projects in SL:
1) Is there a ribbon-cutting/good photo opportunity with it?
2) Are there political votes in it? Is it in an electorally significant district?
3) How long can construction be prolonged for in order to maximize the length of time a massive billboard with my benevolent-looking photo can stay up?
4) Can I/my wife make money on the side in our Singaporean bank account from it?
To be fair it is like that in most countries even the uk
prsl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:17 AM   #5431
prsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 111
Likes (Received): 41

http://www.ft.lk/front-page/PM-forge...ects/44-696252
PM forges ahead with development projects
prsl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM   #5432
ObiWanKenobi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 321
Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsl View Post
To be fair it is like that in most countries even the uk
You certainly don't get billboards of politicians littering the landscape of British buildings and streets, let alone on newly opened airports, train stations and buildings. Commemorative plaques for lines, stations, buildings opened by the Queen are usually no bigger than a 27 inch computer screen simply stating the name of the building and the monarch - that's it. That used to be the case in early independent Ceylon/Sri Lanka. But look at the size of plaques in use today for insignificant projects with various names of people (except the people who built the thing in some cases). Britain is only infamous for its committees, cost overruns and its people (quite rightly) wishing that their trains/broadband were operated more like Japan. But even though Britons struggle with a certain London centric infrastructure and how to uplift the rest of their country, they are still miles ahead in morality and not politicising projects versus modern day Sri Lankan policymakers who are in a league of their own. The Olympics for instance were won under the government of one party in Britain, built under multiple and conducted under a different party (mayor and PM) all with national pride, versus people toppling over each other in front of the whole world as to who gets credit. They also don't name things after politicians who are in office either.
ObiWanKenobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #5433
prsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 111
Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanKenobi View Post
You certainly don't get billboards of politicians littering the landscape of British buildings and streets, let alone on newly opened airports, train stations and buildings. Commemorative plaques for lines, stations, buildings opened by the Queen are usually no bigger than a 27 inch computer screen simply stating the name of the building and the monarch - that's it. That used to be the case in early independent Ceylon/Sri Lanka. But look at the size of plaques in use today for insignificant projects with various names of people (except the people who built the thing in some cases). Britain is only infamous for its committees, cost overruns and its people (quite rightly) wishing that their trains/broadband were operated more like Japan. But even though Britons struggle with a certain London centric infrastructure and how to uplift the rest of their country, they are still miles ahead in morality and not politicising projects versus modern day Sri Lankan policymakers who are in a league of their own. The Olympics for instance were won under the government of one party in Britain, built under multiple and conducted under a different party (mayor and PM) all with national pride, versus people toppling over each other in front of the whole world as to who gets credit. They also don't name things after politicians who are in office either.
Not really. Even there you see ribbon cutting ceremonies and signs. It is just that the signs are smaller . I'm in Sri lanka and I still see them on tv

Actually in Britain constructing projects only in marginal constituencies is a bigger problem than in Sri lanka because of the first past the post system
prsl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM   #5434
ObiWanKenobi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 321
Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsl View Post
Not really. Even there you see ribbon cutting ceremonies and signs. It is just that the signs are smaller . I'm in Sri lanka and I still see them on tv

Actually in Britain constructing projects only in marginal constituencies is a bigger problem than in Sri lanka because of the first past the post system
If you read what I said, you do not see endless lists of names on signs in Britain. There is no comparison whatsoever between the stupid signs on various gimmicks in Sri Lanka to Britain (or any other country). You also don't get massive hoardings of politicians polluting the scenery. If a British politician did that, he would be expected to walk around without his trousers on. Ribbon cutting ceremonies in Britain are few and far between, even if the Queen is present. They also don't hold grand ceremonies with the Head of State, Prime Minister, Cabinet (which also isn't composed of 100 people) and have journalists weeing themselves for minor achievements with a massive entourage that shuts down an entire city. Journalists also don't continually refer to leaders in every single sentence with excessive terms of Excellency this or that etc. The marginal constituency issue is there (epitomised by the comedy "Yes Minister"), but Terminal 5 doesn't look like Jaffna International (nor does Stansted), new trains and buses (Crossrail or Underground) in London are not Indian lorries (they use German, Canadian, Japanese and British equipment), and the Financial Centre is actually a hub in actuality rather than name. You also don't see ridiculous gimmicks for far greater achievements like the Jewel Complex in places like Singapore versus the tomfoolery we see here. In Britain, they also do not pretend there isn't a problem. They might not be as efficient as some other European nations like Germany in getting things done, but they recognise issues they have. In Sri Lanka, Colombo itself is a mess, let alone the surrounding areas, but policymakers play the fiddle and party whilst the country is proverbially burning.
ObiWanKenobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us