SkyscraperCity Forum banner

My Life Thus Far.... Toronto and beyond

53K views 387 replies 28 participants last post by  christos-greece 
#1 ·
Okay, it's been a long time since my old Hot off the Press photothread, so maybe time to start a new one. I'll post current photos, and also some old memories too. Not only life here, but other places I go, too. Today it turned cold and I do believe we had a light frost downtown. Last week I was a bit lazy and I missed the peak of the colours.. only took a couple off the balcony. Look at the difference a week makes:

Last week:

Today:

Last week:

today:

Anyway, the temperatures dropped and it felt cold and damp. Went out on my bike in search of beautiful Autumn colours. Not as resplendent as last week, but there are still gorgeous colours there for those who look:

First stop, I checked out Manulife's beautiful tribute to our Canadian war veterans. As my dad fought in WWII, I like to take some time around
this year to pause and think about the sacrifices that were made on our behalf by brave soldiers:

Frost can't have been that deep:

See less See more
#85 ·
Well, February was a snowy month, but Spring is just around the corner. March came in like a lion, and I got some lovely snow photos today. When the weather is around 0c, you get the most beautiful snow... big fluffy snowflakes. My neighbourhood looked like a Winter Wonderland today. Except quite slushy as it is melting. I went on a stroll through my 'hood:

I would not like to be underneath one of those icicles when they fall off
the eaves:

Shivering in the snow......

#86 ·
Trudging through the snow is hard work, and my stomach was
rumbling, so I stopped in here for a very late breakfast:

I nipped in and nabbed the table by the fireplace...

Being weak with hunger, I made short work of this:

Later, I finally got a chance to check out the new "Nerd Bar" on Church Street; it's quite fun and had a rollicking crowd on Sunday afternoon:

Going downstairs to the loo is quite fun:

Looks eerily like an ossuary in Parisian catacombs:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/halloween-sleep-paris-catacombs-creepy-180956950/

In my neighbourhood is the oldest china shop in Toronto; Hockridges which is nearly 120 years old:

#93 ·
@Openly Jane, it is Fat Bastard! :lol:

@Matt; it was fun and the bread pudding was delicious. It is called Nan's Bread Pudding as the recipe was from the chef's grandmother.
The bar has a lot of board games available, and references to so called "nerdish" activities like Dungeon's and Dragons, etc..
I believe the name Stormcrow is a reference to:"Gandalf, also called Stormcrow by Théoden, King of Rohan, in Tolkien's legendarium"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormcrow

But all in all it seems to have a Hallowe'en theme.

Next time you come to town we should go there. I went back this evening with a friend and we had dinner. I had French Onion Soup, and Fish n' Chips:

#104 ·
Spring came late this year, but it is not unlike the arrival of a baby. It takes it's sweet time and comes whenever it wants to!
The University of Toronto was granted it's royal charter in 1827 and although secular now, to this day includes many of the old colleges (Innis College
New College, University College, Woodsworth College, Knox College, Regis College, Wycliffe College, University of St. Michael's College, Trinity College, St. Hilda's College
Victoria University, Emmanuel College and Massey College). Most of the older buildings were inspired by Oxford and Cambridge. Here is one of the oldest buildings, University
College, as it looked in 1858. It suffered a major fire in the 1800's but looks much like this to this day:

By Sir Edmund Walker - http://www.fineart.utoronto.ca/canarch/ontario/toronto/uc.html, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=871211

The Great Hall of Hart House clearly was modeled after the Great Hall of Christ Church (Oxford). The rather Jacobean looking building is Trinity College and the austere early English Gothic style chapel was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, who worked on projects in Oxford and Cambridge and designed the Cathedral of Liverpool as well as the iconic red telephone booths in Britain.
Sir Gilbert Scott used to like to blend Gothic and contemporary styles:

And Hart House:

this little wren made a next on top of a shield in the outdoor
war memorial:

Trinity College:

I took a night and a day shot of my neighbourhood yesterday: