BOHO 5 | Middlesbrough | 6fl | Completed - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Completed Projects

Completed Projects From all North East England Sub-forum Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2015, 05:53 AM   #41
JPRo

Likes (Received): 820

One word - Fantastic!!
JPRo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2015, 06:35 PM   #42
Handsome C
MC 2011

Likes (Received): 1284

Boho 5

And so we've arrived at my penultimate post. My last full report. I'm hoping to revisit Boho 5 in around a month's time to get one new photo that I'll put together with one photo from each of my visits in a compilation post, like I did with the Gateway. Some of which I don't think I posted on here. So that'll be fun. Hmm, wonder what angle I should take that last photo from. Decisions, decisions. Today, I've taken as many photos as I could of Boho 5 from as many angles as possible. I'm gonna miss doing this. It looks amazing. They have done a truly incredible job. I've waffled on a lot over the last year, so this time, I'll let Boho 5 speak for itself. Apart from one photo, but we'll get to that...

As always, comments are for the picture below the text.

Okay, my one comment. I tried to get all the landmarks of Middlehaven in one shot. Turns out, quite hard. The Gateway is just off screen to the left. But you can see Middlesbrough College, STEM, CIAC and Boho 5 in this one shot. It's quite an eclectic skyline:

- 19/06/15

lms, Auberon, Vinboro, alsand01, JPRo liked this post
Handsome C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #43
lms

Likes (Received): 121

Again ,great pics HC ,the good thing is that MBC seem to want good quality buildings and landscaping for Middlehaven unlike years ago in town when anything would do

Handsome C, Auberon liked this post
lms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #44
Handsome C
MC 2011

Boho 5

The end is here! Boho 5 is done, as am I. My third Boho. I took my first photo of this place on the 22nd of February last year and started monthly-ish reports from the 11th of July until today, the 17th of July. It's taken just over a year to complete and I've photographed as much of it as I could. I've taken 180 photos of this thing and I've enjoyed every second. Apart from January. That was a very wet and miserable day. What we've ended up with is a building I think we all should be immensely proud of. Those who came up with the idea for the building and for the site, and the builders who built it, have created a new icon for the town. They haven't got together and built a bland, modern, concrete, steel and glass box, tucked away in a dark corner of the town. They've built something really special, almost on a plinth, rising up out of the land quite dramatically. With nothing around her, she really stands out. It's a proud statement of the success of Boho that they haven't hid Boho 5 away but instead, have displayed her proudly and prominently in such a great location, and blessed her with such great design. I think it also has a wonderful connection to our history. Only a hundred yards away, ships were built and steel was born. Entrepreneurial endeavours that became the defining industries of Middlesbrough. And that died, but it was and it is being replaced by modern industries, such as shopping and digital business. Equally as valid as what came before and just as important. Boho, in many respects, is a symbol of that new endeavour. And Boho 5 is in the heart of our former endeavour, as an industrial powerhouse. It's almost looking down at what came before as a symbol of what is to come. It's a poetic metaphor for everything this town is striving toward. Boho 5 isn't just another building. It's an icon. It's carried on the wonderful mantle of the wonderful architecture and the interconnecting language of Middlehaven, with great aplomb, and hopefully the architects to come will carry on in the same vein. Photographing Boho 5 has been nothing short of an absolute treat.

So, for my last report, I've put together a compilation post made up of photos taken from each of my visits including one final photo I took today. There are 16 of them, so put on the kettle, you may be here a while. The date I took each photo is written above the photos below the text, if that makes any sense. Well, at least it did in my head...

February 2014:

July 2014:

August 2014:

September 2014:

October 2014:

Early November 2014:

Late November 2014:

December 2014:

January 2015:

Early February 2015:

Late February 2015:

March 2015:

April 2015:

May 2015:

June 2015:

July 2015:

And that's that. I'll be back for Boho 7. A new adventure...

alsand01, Auberon, JPRo liked this post
Old July 18th, 2015, 07:35 AM   #45
alsand01

Likes (Received): 470

Boho 5

Wonderful love letter to Boho 5 and the town HC.

Roll on Boho 7 - hope the momentum can continue some time soon....

alsand01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 06:22 AM   #46
alsand01

This is an item on the first tenant to sign up for Boho 5 - lets hope they grow and bring a little prosperity to the town:
http://www.lovemiddlesbrough.com/the...into-boho-five

Old August 27th, 2015, 06:07 AM   #47
alsand01

Officially open

This is the Gazette's news article on the official opening of Boho 5. Seven tenants already sounds like a good start. Hope they bring jos and a bit of buzz:
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/busines...o-five-9931554

Old August 28th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #48
Handsome C
MC 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsand01 View Post
This is the Gazette's news article on the official opening of Boho 5. Seven tenants already sounds like a good start. Hope they bring jos and a bit of buzz:
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/busines...o-five-9931554
That's swell. I could do with a job...

I saw a report on this on Look North, recently. They were speaking to one business owner and he said that if he has a problem, he just pops down the corridor to ask another business owner a question. He said they all do it, that it's a real community, trying to help each other out.

It's quite lovely, in its own way.

alsand01 liked this post
Old October 8th, 2015, 12:17 PM   #49
slikk-design

Likes (Received): 5

Hi everyone,

I noticed this thread when I first looking at Boho 5 and thought I would just share a few quick photos from inside as I moved my business over here on September 1st.

www.slikkdesign.com

It really is a superb building, to think of how quickly it was put together when you see the quality inside is a credit to the developers.

What a view I have as well!

Thanks, Scott

Middlesbrough FC in the background

4th floor Corridor

Larger Office 4th Floor

Slikk Design Office!

alsand01, Handsome C, Auberon liked this post

Last edited by slikk-design; October 8th, 2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Added links
slikk-design no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2015, 07:12 AM   #50
alsand01

It's great to get the view from the inside Scott. I hope things go well for you ans Slikk Design - it's an impressive Web site. I'm based in the Middle East - so watching the development of Middlesbrough through this forum is a guilty pleasure as an 'exile',

Is Boho 5 filling up? It's built on a scale that I was thinking it would take a bit of time. It must e a great place to be based. Looks great in the photos.

slikk-design liked this post
Old October 12th, 2015, 02:29 PM   #51
slikk-design

Likes (Received): 5

Thanks, it is slowly getting there I think there are less than 10 businesses here at the moment, all very similar in function (website design). I tend to do a lot of systems as well as websites but we are all in some of the smaller offices.

Only one / two of the larger offices are taken up at present but I think as this area of town continues to grow then the more office space will be taken up.

I think at the moment (and this goes for the town also) is there is a huge lack of actual living area within a 1 mile radius of the town centre that hold s it back. Looking at the likes of Leeds and Manchester there is a real vibrant city centre feel and especially after work hours, whereas Middlesbrough seems to die, especially midweek because there are no actual people living in the centre anymore.

It would be nice for real retail and living spaces to start cropping up around Middlehaven, I think CIAC is really overpriced at the moment is just stuck out on a limb to attract but the change in Middlehaven over the last 5 years, especially compared to the previous 20 can only be applauded.
slikk-design no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #52
alsand01

Living and working

Thanks for replying - the things you mention are what is in the various plans but making it happen is proving slow I think. Hopefully the 'Urban Pioneers' scheme near the park will start things off.....

There's a lot of talk of 'animated street scenes' - which I think means, pubs, cafes, restaurants, shops and so on. I suppose business might be a bit slow for people setting up - but you'd think between the college and the offices there'd be a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikk-design View Post
Thanks, it is slowly getting there I think there are less than 10 businesses here at the moment, all very similar in function (website design). I tend to do a lot of systems as well as websites but we are all in some of the smaller offices.

Only one / two of the larger offices are taken up at present but I think as this area of town continues to grow then the more office space will be taken up.

I think at the moment (and this goes for the town also) is there is a huge lack of actual living area within a 1 mile radius of the town centre that hold s it back. Looking at the likes of Leeds and Manchester there is a real vibrant city centre feel and especially after work hours, whereas Middlesbrough seems to die, especially midweek because there are no actual people living in the centre anymore.

It would be nice for real retail and living spaces to start cropping up around Middlehaven, I think CIAC is really overpriced at the moment is just stuck out on a limb to attract but the change in Middlehaven over the last 5 years, especially compared to the previous 20 can only be applauded.
Old October 31st, 2015, 07:17 AM   #53
alsand01

This article is a good update on Boho 5 occupancy - some interesting sounding companies. Guess there's a way to go before it's full:
http://www.lovemiddlesbrough.com/the...double-figures

Auberon, Handsome C liked this post
Old November 4th, 2015, 06:29 AM   #54
alsand01

I believe I'm right in saying that Space Architects have moved into Boho 5 (or is it Boho 1 or Boho 4?). This is a thoughtful (albeit slightly promotional) essay on regeneration from their CEO:
https://bdaily.co.uk/opinion/03-11-2...house-success/

lms, Auberon liked this post
Old November 15th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #55
alsand01

Boho 5 Launch Event

There's quite a good You Tube video of the Boho 5 launch event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XAv9Yv5lcQ

It's from a couple of months ago but I've just stumbled across it.

Auberon liked this post
Old December 8th, 2015, 09:13 PM   #56
Handsome C
MC 2011

Work has now been completed on Boho 5, according to The Gazette:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/busines...lding-10561417

Should probably change the thread title to 'Completed - For Realsies'.

alsand01 liked this post
Old March 6th, 2016, 04:22 PM   #57
Handsome C
MC 2011

The Gazette are reporting that Boho 5 has been nominated for the RIBA North East Building of the Year, along with 10 other buildings.

There are some cracking photos of the building on the article, too:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/te...gious-10994416

alsand01, Auberon liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
middlehaven, project - teesside forum