Tameside Interchange - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 8th, 2019, 08:22 PM   #81
Freel07

Likes (Received): 19197

A planned visit to the dentist this morning gave me a little time to kill so I thought I'd update my photographic records of Tameside One https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showp...&postcount=104 and Tameside Interchange.

I'm not sure whether this is a real proposal or a bit of a wind-up but I heard a rumour last week that there was a campaign to get the interchange name changed to Ashton Interchange which is obviously far more informative and practical than the silly Tameside Interchange and Tameside's odd idea for naming the Ashton site Tameside Interchange #1, Stalybridge Bus Station Tameside Interchange #2 and Hyde Bus Station Tameside Interchange #3. See this link which is admittedly somewhat out of date https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...mber-2-and-3-1 . If it is correct Tameside Council do seem hell-bent on obliterating all of the old town names at the moment.

Anyway over to the photos from today.

It looks as though initial roof cladding is being installed.

P1320262 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1320265 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1320267 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

The view from The Arcades entrance.

P1320269 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1320271 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1320273 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1320276 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

One of the internal staircases is in place.

P1320277 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

A view from Metrolink.

P1320281 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1320282 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

I struggled a little to get any meaningful shots of the new satellite shelters on Wellington Road but the brick/blockwork mini-towers are being constructed.

P1320284 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1320284a by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Last edited by Freel07; March 8th, 2019 at 08:29 PM.
Freel07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2019, 08:42 PM   #82
bogblaster

Likes (Received): 1378

Great pictures Freel.

Right from the day the new interchange name was announced I've been dumbfounded that they wanted to designate it "Tameside." It doesn't make any sense especially when you look at how many other interchanges there are within Tameside. And as for designating the others one, two, three, etc. well that's just plain bonkers. If it is true then whoever devised that scheme should be shot with the giggest gun they can find right in the centre of Ashton.
Old March 8th, 2019, 11:29 PM   #83
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogblaster View Post

Great pictures Freel.

Right from the day the new interchange name was announced I've been dumbfounded that they wanted to designate it "Tameside." It doesn't make any sense especially when you look at how many other interchanges there are within Tameside. And as for designating the others one, two, three, etc. well that's just plain bonkers. If it is true then whoever devised that scheme should be shot with the giggest gun they can find right in the centre of Ashton.
The new college and council building being known as Tameside One seems to lend the rumour some strength. I think the Tameside Interchange 1, 2 and 3 thing may be a bit out of date but the request to change Tameside Interchange to Ashton Interchange is something my wife found this week. I must say I was surprised that TfGM had opted for Tameside rather than Ashton when all the other interchanges use the locality as their name. Maybe Tameside insisted on it. If so how long before railway stations in Ashton , Stalybridge, Mossley and Hyde become Tameside Central, North, East and West etc.

bogblaster liked this post
Old March 10th, 2019, 10:59 AM   #84
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 353

If there are plans to extend Metrolink to Stalybridge, it looks as though the new building blocks the path of one track?

GetBetter liked this post
Steel City Suburb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 09:43 PM   #85
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel City Suburb View Post
If there are plans to extend Metrolink to Stalybridge, it looks as though the new building blocks the path of one track?
The planning application mentions a proposed Metrolink extension and new stop on Wellington Road which from other documents appears to be the first stop on a Stalybridge extension. The outline schemes for this indicate that the line would deviate out into Wellington Road immediately beyond the current stop. However it does look as though the canopy over the interchange entrance may well encroach over the westbound track or at least get rather too close for comfort to the overhead line over that track. I might try overlaying one of the sets of curves from a stop such as Audenshaw into the Interchange ground plan to see how they combine.
Old March 12th, 2019, 11:44 AM   #86
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel City Suburb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freel07 View Post
The planning application mentions a proposed Metrolink extension and new stop on Wellington Road which from other documents appears to be the first stop on a Stalybridge extension. The outline schemes for this indicate that the line would deviate out into Wellington Road immediately beyond the current stop. However it does look as though the canopy over the interchange entrance may well encroach over the westbound track or at least get rather too close for comfort to the overhead line over that track. I might try overlaying one of the sets of curves from a stop such as Audenshaw into the Interchange ground plan to see how they combine.
As promised I have made an attempt at overlaying a set of entrance/exit curves from the island platform stop at Audenshaw onto the Interchange site plan to see how the Interchange canopy sits against any future Metrolink extension east. It would appear that physically the line could be accommodated comfortably without interfering with the canopy. Whether any special measures to ensure electrical safety would be required I cannot say, although the nearest edge of the canopy does look as though it may sit within the dewirement zone possibly.

Stalybridge Extension by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Obviously this a very rough and ready assessment and scaling between the 2 drawings used is probably not accurate.
Old March 22nd, 2019, 11:03 PM   #87
ashtonphil

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freel07 View Post
The new college and council building being known as Tameside One seems to lend the rumour some strength. I think the Tameside Interchange 1, 2 and 3 thing may be a bit out of date but the request to change Tameside Interchange to Ashton Interchange is something my wife found this week. I must say I was surprised that TfGM had opted for Tameside rather than Ashton when all the other interchanges use the locality as their name. Maybe Tameside insisted on it. If so how long before railway stations in Ashton , Stalybridge, Mossley and Hyde become Tameside Central, North, East and West etc.
Per the council meeting next week it will be called Ashton-under-Lyne Interchange http://tameside.moderngov.co.uk/docu...ge%20FINAL.pdf

bogblaster, kunalh, trinityboy, MarkO, Freel07 liked this post
ashtonphil está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2019, 12:19 AM   #88
bogblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonphil View Post
Per the council meeting next week it will be called Ashton-under-Lyne Interchange http://tameside.moderngov.co.uk/docu...ge%20FINAL.pdf

It seems that commonsense has prevailed!
bogblaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2019, 02:49 PM   #89
Freel07

SO now I must remember to call the new facility Ashton-under-Lyne Interchange.
Right I was in Ashton on Friday afternoon and took a few photographs of the new interchange.

Work on the roof cladding is proceeding quickly it appears.

P1020563 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1020565 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

I wonder whether this is that tank and associated pit for the rain water harvesting system.

P1020567 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Seen from the Arcades entrance.

P1020569 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Work also seems to have started on preparing the ground for the floor slabs.

P1020570 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1020587 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

The satellite shelters on Wellington Road are well advanced.

P1020576 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1020577 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1020583 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Tameside Interchange is dead, long live Ashton-under-Lyne Interchange.

purple_cat, bogblaster, madannie liked this post

Last edited by Freel07; March 31st, 2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old April 18th, 2019, 11:01 AM   #90
Freel07

Two weeks on from my last set here are a few more shots of Ashton Interchange.

Work is forging ahead on the roof.

P1320887 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1320889 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

The rainwater harvesting tank is now in place and they were removing the piling from the pit.

P1320890 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1320892 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

It was only yesterday that I finally realised just how big the structure is. I think the installation of all the fixing strips for the cladding round the roof edge has highlighted it.

P1320902 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1320908 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Work continues on the floor slabs.

P1320909 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1320910 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1320912 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1320916 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

I am wondering whether the satellite shelters alongside the tramstop on Wellington Road might be brought into use ahead of the main building as they are well advanced and the surrounding area seems to be progressing.

P1320914 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1320915 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr
Old May 6th, 2019, 08:06 PM   #91
r02bapurdie
Andrew

Likes (Received): 5093

Two photo of new interchange that I took today.

4,000 likes achieve on 2nd January 2017
5,000 likes achieve on 18th February 2019

Thanks to everyone who liked my posts. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/

Bylina, (Ashley1967), Freel07 liked this post
r02bapurdie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 08:26 PM   #92
Freel07

Here are a few shots of Ashton Interchange taken today 15/05/2019.

Work on the wellington Road satellite shelters is advancing quickly and surfacing work was in progress today. I still wonder whether these are destined to open well before the main interchange.

P1030038 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1030042 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1030067 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1030045 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1030047 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1030048 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1030053 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1030057 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1030061 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:32 PM   #93
bogblaster

My guess, for what it's worth, is that the satellite shelters will open before the main structure. Perhaps in the hope that they will relieve some of the current temporary arrangements. Or so that demolition of the renmainder of the old site can proceed so that the whole can be tidied, finished to a high standard and without risk or further inconvenience to the public. Having said that though it appears, certainly to my untrained eye, that progress on the main structure is more advanced than I expected.

Freel07 liked this post
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:40 PM   #94
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogblaster View Post
My guess, for what it's worth, is that the satellite shelters will open before the main structure. Perhaps in the hope that they will relieve some of the current temporary arrangements. Or so that demolition of the renmainder of the old site can proceed so that the whole can be tidied, finished to a high standard and without risk or further inconvenience to the public. Having said that though it appears, certainly to my untrained eye, that progress on the main structure is more advanced than I expected.
It will be interesting to see what happens to the soon to become redundant half of the site. I can see it being left as a basic open space with To Let signs on it. It's not exactly going to be an easy site to sell off trapped as it is between the new Interchange, the horrendous car park approach ramp and the barren wall of the dismal bulk of the Arcades Shopping block.

bogblaster, Johnny de Rivative liked this post

Last edited by Freel07; May 15th, 2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old May 15th, 2019, 11:24 PM   #95
bogblaster

I agree with your analysis of difficulty in disposing of the site and your description of its environs is spot on. But I'm guessing that it will have to be made good or paved in some fashion if only to make it safe.

Johnny de Rivative liked this post
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:53 AM   #96
M60lad

Likes (Received): 51

What's the reasoning for the Satalite Shelters? I thought the new Bus Station/Interchange would be able to cope with all the services that used the old Bus Station unless thse shelters are primarly going to be used for Schools and Private Hires (National Holidays and National Express services)
M60lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 12:10 PM   #97
Johnny de Rivative
Droylsden, Mcr Eastside

Likes (Received): 13547

I am guessing that they're intended for easy transfer bus<>tram for certain routes.

I wonder which bus routes will use them - possibly from hinterlands such as Glossop, Staly or Mossley etc to create a kind of railhead (tramhead? - no that's us lot!) or even, dare I say it, the beginnings of integrated working?

A similar design was introduced at Oldham Mumps when the Metrolink first opened, almost amounting to bus/tram cross-platform interchange, but I'm not sure how successful it was.

PS - are there any National Express services in Ashton? Never seen any but would perhaps be nice . . .

Metrolink Complete Chronology: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...age=1068#21357
Johnny de Rivative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 02:21 PM   #98
MarkO

Likes (Received): 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny de Rivative View Post
I am guessing that they're intended for easy transfer bus<>tram for certain routes.

I wonder which bus routes will use them - possibly from hinterlands such as Glossop, Staly or Mossley etc to create a kind of railhead (tramhead? - no that's us lot!) or even, dare I say it, the beginnings of integrated working?

A similar design was introduced at Oldham Mumps when the Metrolink first opened, almost amounting to bus/tram cross-platform interchange, but I'm not sure how successful it was.

PS - are there any National Express services in Ashton? Never seen any but would perhaps be nice . . .

One of the drivers told me they for are buses turning right over the railway next to IKEA (ie: 409, 230 and the little estate shuttle buses) but this could be pure guesswork.
MarkO está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 03:26 PM   #99
bogblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
One of the drivers told me they for are buses turning right over the railway next to IKEA (ie: 409, 230 and the little estate shuttle buses) but this could be pure guesswork.

Not having been up to Ashton since before the start of this project I really am guessing here. But to be honest when I first saw Freel's images of these shelters my immediate reaction was that they were intended for through routes coming in from the Stalybridge direction so that the main bus station could be used solely for terminating services.
Old May 16th, 2019, 11:41 PM   #100
Johnny de Rivative
Droylsden, Mcr Eastside

Likes (Received): 13547

No doubt all will be revealed in due course . . .

2019-05-16 008 by John McCarthy, on Flickr

Metrolink Complete Chronology: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...age=1068#21357

bogblaster, purple_cat, MarkO, baias liked this post

Last edited by Johnny de Rivative; Yesterday at 03:26 PM.
Johnny de Rivative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: