SYDNEY: Light Rail (U/C: Circular Quay to Randwick and Kingsford) - Page 531 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2019, 10:57 AM   #10601
hornetfig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyllip View Post
Wow, if theyre starting testing up to the Chinatown stop next month - and the track north of Town Hall looks largely complete - looks like the thing could open in like two months
Testing up to Town Hall is intended for the last week of this month.

Civil-wise it's effectively done. They're working on kerb/paving, lights/signals, systems, stop fitout, landscaping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qantas94Heavy View Post
This is the northern end, where there will be a mid-block crossing. Oddly enough, you can only cross to the western side but not the east.

But it's only about 20 metres to Goulburn St! So why didn't they just have the crossing there?
If it's not fenced, the cattle will spread. The Goulburn St intersection is, overall, oddly designed with that itty bitty left turn lane only itty bitty because of the extent of footpath widening there, yet at Liverpool St there's a full block length of left turn lane.

dsfenasni liked this post
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2019, 03:40 PM   #10602
fawadq

Likes (Received): 174

16th May 10pm
Dylip

World Square spot:

Event spot

They are nearly complete, I guess.
Old May 16th, 2019, 06:06 PM   #10603
zoomwhoosh

Likes (Received): 1241

That block in front of the cinemas is one place that should have been pedestrianised. The footpaths are still way too narrow.

Was there a week ago. Still tediously working their way through kerbs and paving. If it ever ends up with a decent level of fit and finish I'll be really impressed. But I suspect there will always bit odd bits of tar and uneven pavers here and there.

fawadq liked this post
zoomwhoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:11 PM   #10604
df1

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaul View Post
Looking forward to see how the new system works in terms of ridership. By means of comparison, the Dulwich Hill line must be around 11M boardings per year or a weekday average of about 38,000.

To put it in perspective we can take a look to the table in this Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_ridership. According to that, the Dulwich Hill line has a patronage similar to the Sacramento LR. But wait, the Sacramento network is 69km long compared to the merely 12.8km for the Dulwich Hill line! In terms of boardings per km, our current slow and crummy tram line would rank 3rd in the States only behind Boston's Green Line and San Francisco's Muni Metro.

So, what do you think the yearly patronage or average weekday boardings will look like to the CBD and South East line? We could even start some betting. I guess boardings will surpass theoretical hourly capacity quite easily as many people will travel to and from Central while others will use the CBD section.
My spitball estimate was 30m journeys per year, and it turns out this was also the official estimate (I can't remember the source for this, but it was pretty well buried). Funnily enough this is the same amount as the NW Metro is predicted to get (although obviously the latter will have a much higher number of passenger km). If transport patronage keeps on booming I can see both nudging towards 40m a year. And if this is the case, then light rail as a mode in Sydney will be getting 50m a year in total, which would be roughly equal to San Francisco's entire system (the third most used in the US, after Boston and LA).
df1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 02:44 AM   #10605
Dyllip
La Urbanista

Likes (Received): 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetfig View Post
Testing up to Town Hall is intended for the last week of this month.
You sure? I read the Light Rail Safety Ad in the SMH and (memory fails me) but I think it said mid-June and only to Chinatown. I def remember the diagram showing a red line from Chalmers St to Rawson Pl then to Chinatown stop only.

Why this information is not available online is F-ing stupid. Unless I'm too blind to find it...
Dyllip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 03:17 AM   #10606
moz999

Likes (Received): 478

So I assume testing down to Central didn't commence last night.

Comment from the official account on Facebook this morning
"...night time testing is scheduled to begin very soon along Devonshire St. Once testing commences we will provide an update here on our page for everyone's awareness"
moz999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 03:48 AM   #10607
Coneslammer

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berberoz View Post
I checked with Sydney Light Rail and they advised that the statues on Ibero American Plaza as it is called will be reinstated once the Plaza has been rebuilt.
Awesome! thanks m8.

Can't wait for the barriers to come down on George St - it'll look sweet regardless of the tram's efficiency.
Coneslammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 06:27 AM   #10608
prp002

Likes (Received): 3267

Chalmers St stop today

CSLER
by shemozz1e, on Flickr
Old May 17th, 2019, 06:30 AM   #10609
prp002

Likes (Received): 3267

Going....

BOUNCE
by shemozz1e, on Flickr

CENTRAL
by shemozz1e, on Flickr

fawadq liked this post
prp002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 11:07 AM   #10610
hornetfig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyllip View Post
You sure? I read the Light Rail Safety Ad in the SMH and (memory fails me)
dis one?

I'm not sure of the accuracy of these. Then again, I know the project isn't very good at keeping its published schedule...

Anyway, the next crossovers after Chalmers St are between Liverpool and Bathurst St. They appear to have done only a minimum of testing "wrong road" in other sections, I'm kind of doubting there's a need to do any in the current project state.

The quickest section between energisation and vehicle testing is two(?) weeks in Randwick zones 25-26 - Wansey Rd/High St.

The slowest was part of Randwick zone 24 (Alison Rd between Darley Rd and Wansey Rd) where it sat largely idle for months and months and months because no turnback available.
Old Today, 07:28 AM   #10611
Dyllip
La Urbanista

Likes (Received): 465

Certainly looks like the notice I saw! I need to pay more attention than glancing over. Doesn't help work chucks the paper at the end of each day so I couldn't go back to it! Cheers
Dyllip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:05 AM   #10612
hornetfig

Getting close to OC pole complete now.

Three to go in Kensington.
Maybe one in Kingsford (hard to tell for median strip poles with complex rigging to come)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz, sydney, tram