The roadside rest area - Page 2120 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old Today, 11:07 AM   #42381
MattiG
The Road and Map Geek

Likes (Received): 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Yes, I think It was annexed
Of course you are right, but you know what I meant.
Switzerland annexing Konstanz would be kind of a surprise: Konstanz applied the membership of the Confederacy in the 15th century, but idea was rejected. The rural cantons said no, because they disliked increasing the power of city cantons.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 02:11 PM   #42382
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 1624

What is the line that separate west and east Europe discussed there. Is it the costs of living and Can we consider CZ and Slovenia eastern or maybe we can say that Greece is definitely part of the western world ?
Are we speaking about legal migration, immigrants, cost of living or the former political system of CEE?

And who hates Muslims the most? There is a clear winner.

BEEN IN:
NMK A AL B BiH BG CZ D E EST F FIN GB GR HR H I LT M MNE NL PL RKS SRB SK SLO TR

Last edited by Junkie; Today at 02:18 PM.
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:14 PM   #42383
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 3074

I think it's former communist countries.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:19 PM   #42384
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
I for sure, yes. (I've already posted my photo here once, a photo where I'm clear recognizable).
However I'm sure many people wouldn't. Either for simple privacy reasons (very typical in Germany and Austria, among others), or for example because they post informations here what they are not allowed to (some infos thy got in their job, for example), and using the real name they would be fired immediately or even jailed.

But using a real name would mean as well, that no one could use more than one names at the same time, and not even in different times. No one could have a name here in the forum, disappear, and oonne or two years later come back again using another name.
I'm member of anther forum, not international, Hungarian. There are "two users" there, I'm pretty sure "they" are the same person using two names. It wouldn't be possible any more.
And one more thing: now if administrators ban a user, they can register a new name and come back. Using real names it would not be possible. Forum member, social media users, etc. would be much more careful - and administrators would have much more responsibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
It depends on which country are you from. (And it's an answer for Michael's post before you as well). In Finnland you surely won't be arrested for something you wrote here.
But let's check for example the Hungarian forum! Writing "I think the only reason that motorway is being built is that the responsible minister lives in that town" can have some bad consequences for you, especially if you work in a ministry or any other state office. You can lose your job the next day, and will not find any new one - at least not in Hungary. Would it be compulsory, using real names, no one would write something like that. OK, I, not living in Hungary any more, may.
So you see this issue from one of the freest (<- does this word exist?) nations of the world. Many other forum members don't.
Fair points; I wouldn't make the use of real names obligatory.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:46 PM   #42385
Junkie
Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I think it's former communist countries.
How about Germany? It was (partially) a communist country for almost 50 years.

BEEN IN:
NMK A AL B BiH BG CZ D E EST F FIN GB GR HR H I LT M MNE NL PL RKS SRB SK SLO TR
Old Today, 06:01 PM   #42386
General Maximus
Are you not entertained?

Likes (Received): 698

Germans have a east-west rivalry among themselves. The east is significantly poorer than the west. But other than that I don't see much difference in the way they live or in their attitudes in life. Some of my closest friends are from Eastern Germany but living in Austria as the standards of living are higher than anywhere in Germany.

As for Eastern Europe, I don't really look at whether they're ex communists or not, but it's more about performance, economy, behaviors etc. Some countries score higher than others. Poland considers itself a powerhouse, yet the wages are so low that a high amount of Poles still continue to look elsewhere for higher paid jobs. Slovenia and Czech Republic have made a bit more of an effort. Lots of Hungarians everywhere for the very same reason. And both Poland and Hungary are on close watch when it comes to human rights. Yet, Budapest is great and thriving. The Baltic States are close friends, but there's even a difference there. I find Estonia modern and open, but Lithuania poor with lots of gangster look-alikes on the streets.

Transport is a source of a certain amount of xenophobia. All western countries are full of trucks from mainly Poland and Romania through western letterbox companies in the east. They hardly go back to their own countries, and they're widely being taken advantage of by western companies. They're cheap, they do the job and after that they'll leave them to rot at roadside rest areas until a new one comes along. This has turned German and Belgian service areas into major campsites for Eastern European truckers. And they make a poor and primitive impression in their scruffy clothes and sandals. I think that will change soon, when wages are starting to rise in the east.

Last edited by General Maximus; Today at 06:09 PM.
General Maximus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:26 PM   #42387
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 9035

Jesus Christ...

At the Batrovci border crossing, they discovered 9 migrants holed up in a specially designed "bunker" within the tractor trailer...

CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:51 PM   #42388
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 24712

European average net salary, adjusted for cost of living. It's surprising that Belgium is so low for its region, some Eastern European countries are approaching it. Also interesting that Sweden and Finland are below the Netherlands, UK and Germany.

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_average_wage

travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kpc21 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:37 PM   #42389
General Maximus
Are you not entertained?

I'm not sure how accurate this diagram is. I know that wages in Austria are supposed to be higher than in Germany, and that French workers in border regions cross their borders everyday to work in Switzerland, Germany and Belgium. Also because of higher wages. Perhaps it's a tax thing?
Old Today, 07:52 PM   #42390
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 5416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
What is the line that separate west and east Europe discussed there.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:10 PM   #42391
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 3074

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I'm not sure how accurate this diagram is. I know that wages in Austria are supposed to be higher than in Germany, and that French workers in border regions cross their borders everyday to work in Switzerland, Germany and Belgium. Also because of higher wages. Perhaps it's a tax thing?
It's not only the wages, they're weighted by the cost of living.

For instance: wages in Italy are 30% higher in the North than in the South, but the cost of living in the South can be 50% less, so this indicator would yield a higher number in Southern Italy than in Northern.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:24 PM   #42392
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Churchill likes this.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:36 PM   #42393
Junkie
Supervisor

Moldavia is the poorest country by cost of living in continental Europe. Many Balkan countries have dramatically improved and are even catching Portugal, Lithuania and Latvia. But the most dramatic improvement I think has happened in Hungary, Poland and the rest CE because of their integration into the "west".

BEEN IN:
Old Today, 08:46 PM   #42394
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 5416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Churchill likes this.
Simple geography.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:46 PM   #42395
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 24712

Portugal is really far behind Western Europe, even its difference with neighboring Spain is enormous.

Spain and Portugal both used to be dictatorships (Franco & Estado Novo). It seems like Spain has caught up much more with Western Europe than Portugal for some reason.

travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:57 PM   #42396
General Maximus
Are you not entertained?

Probably also because of its proximity. Tucked away in a corner, nothing but warm and dry weather, and even after crossing the border, there's loads of mountains and forests to cross before entering populated areas along the coastline. Ireland used to be really poor, but has caught up. And even Britain was a poor country back in the 80s, with Brits scattered all over Europe looking for jobs with higher wages. Brits and Irish were the Poles of Europe in those days...
Old Today, 09:00 PM   #42397
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Portugal is really far behind Western Europe, even its difference with neighboring Spain is enormous.

Spain and Portugal both used to be dictatorships (Franco & Estado Novo). It seems like Spain has caught up much more with Western Europe than Portugal for some reason.
Maybe it has to do with distance to so called "Blue Banana" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Banana

Scandinavia seems to be the biggest exception.

----
About Lithuania. I think what I hate the most about my country, is that not being poor or rich (some data says it's comparably rich, some say is poor), but worries about future. I slightly worry how people are performing in economy and how will perform in the future, if they look like gangstas they probably won't perform well in making everyone's life brighter. For my young perspective, I want more Europe (quality of cities, lifestyle, etc.) in my life and if I won't have it, I will (at least try) to reach it for myself.

Sure, you can be both optimistic and pessimistic at the same time. It's intriguing and worrying how Lithuania (and at least this part of EU) will be performing in like 2030s or 2040s, maybe it will be not as bad, maybe it will be a bummer. People may say both opinions, and the scenario will occur despite which opinion is more popular today.

Last edited by PovilD; Today at 09:28 PM.
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:13 PM   #42398
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySerb View Post
Jesus Christ...

At the Batrovci border crossing, they discovered 9 migrants holed up in a specially designed "bunker" within the tractor trailer...

You hear about that sort of thing in the U.S. near the Mexican border.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old Today, 09:17 PM   #42399
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Nederlanders, I just crossed “Dutchtown-Harlingen Road” in Somerset County, New Jersey. (No, I’m not driving at the moment. Greetings from Burger King in Rocky Hill. ). Saw a sign for Blawenburg shortly afterwards.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old Today, 09:23 PM   #42400
General Maximus
Are you not entertained?

Harlingen, Friesland and Somerset, SW-England. What a contrast...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
highways, motorways