Sunniside Development Area | Sunderland | Various | U/C - Page 25 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Sunderland and Durham

Sunderland and Durham For Sunderland, Washington, County Durham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2019, 06:42 PM   #481
mackem35

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sup.sup View Post
It’s been on going since I moved to the area 10 years ago and probably in the pipeline for 15+ years. It’s homes England who are doing the demolition works not the council so hopefully we aren’t too far away from seeing a major planning application for the two cleared streets in the area.
Reckon the building near the small car park, opposite the travel lodge (think it is some tyre place) should be pulled down. It looks like it is ready to fall down; hoping some development down there will drag the area up. Last time I was down there the grassed area around there had loads of rubbish - could do with a big clear up and have the grass cut properly.

denm liked this post
mackem35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2019, 08:08 PM   #482
specfreak

Likes (Received): 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackem35 View Post
Reckon the building near the small car park, opposite the travel lodge (think it is some tyre place) should be pulled down. It looks like it is ready to fall down; hoping some development down there will drag the area up. Last time I was down there the grassed area around there had loads of rubbish - could do with a big clear up and have the grass cut properly.
Yeah it would certainly look nicer with that building you mention pulled down.
It'd make the whole block flattened ready for development.

I looked on Google Maps and spotted a sign:
https://goo.gl/maps/YcTbn56uQSCBzNYt6
... the latest update on GM is May 2018, but it reads "Acquired for future development for Pallion Housing Group LTD". However, even that sign looks ancient.
This might be their web site:
http://www.pallion-housing.co.uk

denm liked this post
specfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2019, 10:12 AM   #483
denm

Likes (Received): 2454

Quote:
It’s been on going since I moved to the area 10 years ago and probably in the pipeline for 15+ years. It’s homes England who are doing the demolition works not the council so hopefully we aren’t too far away from seeing a major planning application for the two cleared streets in the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackem35 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by specfreak View Post
Yeah it would certainly look nicer with that building you mention pulled down.
It'd make the whole block flattened ready for development.

I looked on Google Maps and spotted a sign:
https://goo.gl/maps/YcTbn56uQSCBzNYt6
... the latest update on GM is May 2018, but it reads "Acquired for future development for Pallion Housing Group LTD". However, even that sign looks ancient.
This might be their web site:
http://www.pallion-housing.co.uk

Yes it will be good to see this area being Demolished and regenerated,---as Sup mentioned it's been quite a few years since there was mention of this area being brought back and regenerated,--I remember reading of this about 8 or so years ago,----as for the building opposite the Hotel,---this has been an eyesore for years now---and like everyone else--would love to see it flattened,------just hope there are Development plans ready for this area,---cheers.
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2019, 01:21 PM   #484
Sup.sup

Likes (Received): 2007

I think the issue with the High Street Tyres building is the pebble dash! If the building is to have any future it needs completely removing and the old brickwork restoring to have it more in keeping with the area.

The simplest option would just be to pull it down, then you have the full street to work with, I would like to see streets and quaint cut throughs such as little Villiers stay and be expanded upon, they give a lot of character when your mazing through the area, I love it, if you could get the balance of the new development mixed with the best character of the area it could be a brilliant extension to the city centre.

I’m sure I’d read the plan was for around 400 houses/ apartments for East Sunniside which is a fair number, also separate is Crown/Angel house is getting around 130 apartments and potentially the Norfolk hotel will be converted into yet more apartments so plenty more to come.

Said it before and will say it again the area needs a small supermarket, such as at the travelodge units, the premier just isn’t enough.
Sup.sup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 11:08 AM   #485
kingdom bhoy

Likes (Received): 887

BURGeR Restaurant & Bar opened in Frederick Street at the weekend.

denm, sterock85 liked this post
kingdom bhoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 01:42 PM   #486
Sup.sup

Plenty happening around there, all the offices and shops in Fredrick street seem to be taken now.

Is BURGeR where Raffertys used to be?
Old May 8th, 2019, 10:31 AM   #487
denm

This is also posted on the Smaller Projects & other Developments thread --

Plan lodged to demolish old business units in Sunderland city centre

A row of old business units in Sunderland city centre could be razed to the ground under new plans.

Last week, an application was submitted to Sunderland City Council to demolish several properties in Nile Street.

If approved, several buildings will be affected including numbers 45 – 46, 47 – 50, 51, 52, 53 – 54.

According to an application by Homes England, the buildings will be “demolished in a piecemeal fashion” and will help “open land up for development.”

Read more https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/...ntre-1-9754501
Old May 18th, 2019, 08:51 PM   #488
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1906

This new 'Project Thread' now FULLY set up, with all pre-existing posts about the Sunniside Development Area, now copied in from other threads.

See the Opening Post of this thread for details of this - https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2173418

Thread TAGS added, and a link to this thread has also been added into the Sunderland and Durham Forum Development Summary, at Project 53.

denm liked this post
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 08:41 AM   #489
denm

Thanks for pulling all the posts regarding Sunniside area and Developments all together on this new thread,---good work NH,---cheers.

Newcastle Historian liked this post
Old May 20th, 2019, 02:44 PM   #490
Sup.sup

Nearly 500 posts that’s some figure!

Hopefully this next year sees the plans for East Sunniside start to come together.

sterock85, asunderland1100 liked this post
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #491
Sup.sup

Didn’t realise that Louie Louie had closed, its appeared on Lofthouse and partners to let:

https://lofthouseandpartners.co.uk/w...nd-SR1-1TX.pdf

Being such a prominent unit such a shame to see this struggle, mind when it first opened 7/8 years ago the food was much better than the last time I went a year or so ago.

If good quality food is served and the price is right then the place could be rammed. With free parking outside after 6 there’s no reason for it not to be.

Last edited by Sup.sup; Yesterday at 03:05 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM   #492
Guy Incognito

Likes (Received): 378

Quote:
Didn’t realise that Louie Louie had closed, its appeared on Lofthouse and partners to let:

https://lofthouseandpartners.co.uk/w...nd-SR1-1TX.pdf

Being such a prominent unit such a shame to see this struggle, mind when it first opened 7/8 years ago the food was much better than the last time I went a year or so ago.

If good quality food is served and the price is right then the place could be rammed. With free parking outside after 6 there’s no reason for it not to be.
I hadn't been for a while, but the last time I was there it was very poor and apparently got worse. I heard that the cleanliness was shocking, several of the toilets were either broken or had doors that didn't close and stories of rat droppings being found on site were circulating shortly after it closed. It is a shame that it's closed, but hopefully it wont be empty too long, though if what I've heard about what the landlords want for rent, it may be like Doner Haus/Poperdoms.
Guy Incognito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
project, project - sunderland area, sunderland, sunniside