[NL] The Netherlands | road infrastructure • autosnelwegen - Page 825 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2019, 04:10 AM   #16481
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 8495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
I did not know there are holiday resorts in Zeeland.
Actually I neither know now, but there must be some there since I can't see any other reasons why A58 was heavily congested this morning from A58 towards Middelburg. A heavy congestion in a length of 20kms, from A4 (I came from Belgium) up to the Vlaketunnel. And I couldn't see any restriction in or at the tunnel so actually I dont understand why there was a congestion until that but free flow of traffic after the tunnel.
Tourism is one of the key industries in Zeeland. Lots of tourists from the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany go there every single summer.

But the freak traffic jams are mostly caused by Brabanders (people from cities like Breda, Tilburg and Eindhoven) who all wanna go to the beach when the weather is nice. They wake up in the morning, see the temperature and hop in the car.

KIWIKAAS, Attus, Penn's Woods liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2019, 08:41 AM   #16482
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 809

Quote:
Actually I neither know now, but there must be some there since I can't see any other reasons why A58 was heavily congested this morning from A58 towards Middelburg. A heavy congestion in a length of 20kms, from A4 (I came from Belgium) up to the Vlaketunnel. And I couldn't see any restriction in or at the tunnel so actually I dont understand why there was a congestion until that but free flow of traffic after the tunnel.
The A58 is often congested on hot days in the summer with traffic heading to the coast. Lots if beach towns all along the Zeeuwse coast.

Attus, Penn's Woods liked this post
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2019, 02:36 PM   #16483
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Tourism is one of the key industries in Zeeland. Lots of tourists from the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany go there every single summer.

But the freak traffic jams are mostly caused by Brabanders (people from cities like Breda, Tilburg and Eindhoven) who all wanna go to the beach when the weather is nice. They wake up in the morning, see the temperature and hop in the car.

I was in Europe in 2015, in part to see a bit of the Tour de France. One stage ended at Neeltje Jans, and I tried* to stop by the road at the five-kilometers-to-the-finish line to watch. So I went into Burgh-Haamstede to get something to eat while I waited.... I remember noticing that a local supermarket had a display of newspapers that were all in German. (And Tour spectators were parking at a campground).

*”tried” because there was a downpour while I waited, so I walked the kilometer or so back to my car to dry off and change clothes as discreetly as possible. After the -second- downpour, I gave up and drove to Antwerp to dry off in my hotel. I wish I’d just parked by the road - that IS permitted; I could have sat it out in the car.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Slagathor liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2019, 04:05 PM   #16484
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 25953

The driver declared: 'my GPS told me to keep left'.

travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Attus, EPA001, Luki_SL, UnequalSine, SRC_100, mgk920 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2019, 07:38 PM   #16485
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Actually I neither know now, but there must be some there since I can't see any other reasons why A58 was heavily congested this morning from A4 towards Middelburg. A heavy congestion in a length of 20kms, from A4 (I came from Belgium) up to the Vlaketunnel. And I couldn't see any restriction in or at the tunnel so actually I dont understand why there was a congestion until that but free flow of traffic after the tunnel.
The traffic returns from the beaches:

Old August 31st, 2019, 08:18 PM   #16486
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 157

A16/A13 link progress

Construction of the viaduct over the president Rooseveltweg is progressing well:

(loc: https://goo.gl/maps/G4MhEE9JMyp4yrLu9 )

Unfortunately nothing happening yet at the Rotte :

Wish they'd hurry up, 4 more years of pain in the *** traffic in R'dam north area.
On knp. Terbregge also a lot of visible progress, I could post a dashcam video perhaps of that soon, it's really starting to take shape there. It's hard to get good photo points legally there though, best bet is a few shots from car!

Last edited by snowdog; August 31st, 2019 at 08:50 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2019, 09:52 PM   #16487
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 1260

Also a lot of groundworks near Rotterdam Airport! I'll see if i can make some pictures from my bike down there!
Old September 1st, 2019, 05:42 PM   #16488
The Polman

Likes (Received): 1402

Quote:
Construction of the viaduct over the president Rooseveltweg is progressing well:
That first segment is making the most progress right now in the actual field. This entire next year will be giving quite exciting views on the different legs of Terbregesplein interchange, because pillars for the A16 above the entire current situation will be installed. Sorry for not having exact dates yet, but it will be quite soon

Many trees in the Lage Bergse Bos (park/forest area) are chopped but not yet all of them, they will be compensated as part of our legislation.

Alle nieuwbouw onder vier hoog: meteen afbreken en de volgende keer uw hersenen gebruiken!
Everything new below four storeys: bulldoze it immediately and use your brains next time!
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2019, 10:15 AM   #16489
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A24

The construction progress on the new A24 Blankenburg Tunnel west of Rotterdam is becoming more visible on this aerial photo:

Old September 6th, 2019, 06:39 PM   #16490
EPA001

Likes (Received): 10446

Great picture which shows the location from the South-West to the North-East.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2019, 08:15 PM   #16491
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The temporary DDI at the A44 / N206 interchange at Leiden.

Old September 8th, 2019, 07:09 PM   #16492
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 1059

I'd love to see a video of it at work.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 04:42 PM   #16493
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 157

Free right turns (or merging right turns) should be the standard on any intersection without parallel stuff like cycle lanes/ped paths/stoops.

Eg.
https://goo.gl/maps/2qE3euoJyVubSSh97

Why on earth are there traffic lights for right turns there?
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 04:56 PM   #16494
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 1260

Because some weird rule that Non stroomweg roads can't be freeflow with stroomweg roads. That's why you see weird sharp turns at some junctions just because they wan't to remove the speed between the roads. You can see this at the Amsterdam -> Schiphol ringroad junction (A4/N470) or Delft->Rotterdam | The Hague->Delft(A4/N470) as well. Really strange sharp corners instead of a smooth curve.

I believe the Dutch are the only ones to split these road categories so strictly. I agree (for once) that this could be done smoother. Not because of the speed element, but just because there is no real reason for it.
Old September 10th, 2019, 12:00 AM   #16495
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 1059

There's also a matter of flow disruption and capacity control.

A free-flow right turn will often slow down the flow coming from the main path, unless the receiving road is fitted with a full extra lane.
That's also the reason behind the artificial speed reduction through sharp turns, to avoid merging traffic approaching faster than the main flow.

In the case of this DDI, you really want to keep the flow as smooth as possible.
If the lights are timed efficiently, there isn't much space left for merging traffic while the flow is moving.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 09:37 PM   #16496
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Ringvaart Aquaduct

A4 goes under a canal known as the 'Ringvaart' (ring canal) of the Haarlemmermeer Polder. It is located at the provincial border of North and South Holland.

The first 'aquaduct' was built in 1961, a second was built in 2010. The old aquaduct was then reconfigured to one-way traffic (southbound), and reduced from 4 to 3 lanes for safety (it is very narrow).

There are plans to expand capacity on A4 to 2x4 lanes. The old aquaduct will be removed. There were two variants:

* build a new aquaduct at the location of the old one (variant west)
* build a new aquaduct east of the new one (variant east)

The east variant would require a significant realignment of A4 since driving directions in the 2010 aquaduct would be changed. They would require a larger right of way acquisition to make that happen.

So it was announced today that the minister has selected the western alternative: replace the existing one. The cost estimate is € 80 million. A project like this has never been done before on the Dutch motorway system.

During construction, traffic will be moved into the 2010 aquaduct, with a 6+0 system (6 lanes in one aquaduct), while the old aquaduct is being removed and rebuilt similar to the 2010 aquaduct.

1961 aquaduct (to be replaced):

2010 aquaduct:

This is what a 4+0 system looked like back in 2010. As you can see, a 6+0 system could fit without problems.

A4-11-8-2010-8 by European Roads, on Flickr

Attus, Theijs, UnequalSine, EPA001, spartannl liked this post
Old September 16th, 2019, 06:31 PM   #16497
ChrisZwolle
Road user

2020 budget

The 2020 budget will be revealed tomorrow. Not many details have leaked regarding to infrastructure. There has been talk about an investment fund for long-term benefits, and infrastructure will likely play a role in that because infrastructure provides such benefits beyond the initial investment.

It's unclear how this would be implemented, alongside or replacing the existing infrastructure fund. Previously it was announced that the existing infrastructure fund would be reformed to a mobility fund by 2022.

The 2019 infrastructure fund budget amounted to € 7.3 billion: € 3.1 billion for roads, € 2 billion for railroads, € 1.3 billion for waterways and other smaller items.

The new budget usually doesn't contain many surprises in regards to roads, as infrastructure planning develops over the years. The most important item is to see which projects are adopted in the MIRT, which is the planning and budget allocation instrument. However, MIRT studies are usually announced separately during the year.

The 2020 budget will be followed up by intergovernmental discussion about infrastructure in the fall, so there are usually some changes, it's kind of a political scheme to make 'good news' announcements. Usually they find room to expedite projects or announce funding for previously unfunded projects.

Old September 16th, 2019, 07:35 PM   #16498
EPA001

Likes (Received): 10446

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
So it was announced today that the minister has selected the western alternative: replace the existing one. The cost estimate is € 80 million. A project like this has never been done before on the Dutch motorway system.
Is there already a timeframe known for constructing this badly needed new aquaduct?
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 07:48 PM   #16499
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A construction start is scheduled for 2028.

This is one of those things that might be pushed forward in the new budget or fall intergovernmental meetings.

This project is part of the A4 widening from the Burgerveen interchange (A44) to the Leidschendam interchange (N14). A4 will be widened to 2x4 lanes, however they are studying an alternative to expand the Leiden bypass by more than 1 lane in each direction (possibly 2+3+3+2 as it should've been built in the first place).

EPA001 liked this post
Old September 17th, 2019, 06:29 PM   #16500
ChrisZwolle
Road user

rest areas

Two motorway rest areas on A58 in Zeeland province have toilet blocks. This is uncommon in the Netherlands, normally only service areas with a gas station have toilets.

The toilets were installed in 2008 but never worked properly and had problems with vandalism and hygiene. They will be removed before the 2020 summer tourist season.

Bathrooms / rest rooms along Dutch motorways are pretty bad compared to some other countries. Since most motorists don't drive for more than an hour, not many people use them compared to France or Germany. There is not really a culture to take a break on a motorway rest area, most people would drive straight from A to B, since very few trips are over 2 hours in length.

On a separate issue, the Dutch motorway service areas with gas stations are auctioned off every 10 years. They are usually auctioned in tranches, last week they auctioned about 20 locations. The sum paid for the exploitation of a gas station ranges from several millions to over € 20 million. Which is a huge sum of money compared to the profit margin of fuel sales at those locations (despite the higher fuel prices). Most of these locations are only profitable because of the convenience store. They make more money selling overpriced sandwiches and coffee than gasoline and diesel.

Not every location changes hands at such an auction. Oil companies pay big money to retain a profitable location. The cost has become so prohibitive though, that only large companies can afford them, pushing out the independent operators.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands