Chicago - USA - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Rate Our Talls > Rate Our Skylines

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Rate the Chicago Skyline!
10 1,539 54.77%
9.5 421 14.98%
9 305 10.85%
8.5 108 3.84%
8 73 2.60%
7.5 27 0.96%
7 37 1.32%
6.5 10 0.36%
6 8 0.28%
5.5 12 0.43%
5 14 0.50%
4.5 8 0.28%
4 15 0.53%
3.5 52 1.85%
3 -> 181 6.44%
Voters: 2810. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 28th, 2002, 08:32 AM   #21
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1981

gothicform, what you find to be "dreary boxes" i find to be limitless beauty. there is something about the box that captures me, draws me in, fascinates and bewilders me. yes, the box is disparaged as boring and unimaginative by most of the clowns on these skyscraper forums. i understand that, i have come to accept the fact that, for whatever reason, the "masses" don't seem to like boxes.

whatever, the box is good, the box is pure, the box is true. the box represents everything that i love about architecure- stripped down, unadorned, unencumbered with the needless aspects of "wacky" design for "wacky" design's sake. i like purity of form. it is timeless, it is indeed classical. maybe not in the way that we think of roman arches or corinthian columns, but the masterworks of the international style are going to hold up very well against the standard of time.

oh, perhaps 50, 100 years after the fact, with everyone drawn immediately to whatever new-fangled contraption of form is the soup de joure long since past, these so readily defiled "boxes" will be seen in their true light with the proper perspective of time. they will be hallowed as masterworks of pure genious, the outgrowth of minds that weren't afraid to think simple, and streamlined and sterile.

yes, the box is not "popular" right now. but in due time, i am convinced, these internationalist buildings will become incredibly revered. the reason is because they don't rely on gimmicks or tricks, there is no phoniness about what they are. they are honest, they are true, and they are good.

long live the box, the most classical of all skyscraper building forms.
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2002, 04:10 PM   #22
gothicform

Likes (Received):

you like boxes because they are modernist. you criticise post modern architecture but dont realise that many of these "new fangled" buildings - swiss re for instance - is everything that you love about architecure - stripped down, unadorned, unencumbered with the needless aspects of "wacky" design for "wacky" design's sake. it doesnt rely on gimmicks or tricks, there is no phoniness about what they are. they are honest, they are true, and they are good.
to build a box is to lack imagination, to build 70boxes is nothing short of disasterous, you can do everything youve mentioned without ever doing a box. take a look at what is going up in european cities, the likes of turning torso or swiss re and you'll see what i mean. we can have pure forms, we can make them beautiful and individual.
Old December 28th, 2002, 09:31 PM   #23
Rainier Meadows
©

Likes (Received): 21

British architects of yesteryear would consider an unadorned or stripped down facade blasphemy - Oxford University, Parliament are just mere examples of the architecture the British are accustomed to (or spoiled by )! So I don't blame them for snubbing the "box"
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2002, 03:29 AM   #24
gothicform

Likes (Received):

some british architects wouldnt, stonehenge is pretty stripped down
its not the box i object to, its 70copies of the box in the same place.
Old January 2nd, 2003, 03:00 PM   #25
mystad

Likes (Received): 2

Well, for 60's-70's modernist disasters I'd say greater London has it's share.

I hear what you're saying about Chicago having lots of boxes, but your claim that "the general standard of quality is comparable to the dreary heron quays buildings in canary wharf" just tells me that you've never set foot on Chicago soil.

Don't get me wrong, I would never put Chicago above London for overall architecture (I've lived in both cities), but Chicago has so much more going on than boxes.
mystad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2003, 05:15 PM   #26
gothicform

Likes (Received):

i spent three months in schaumburg in 97 so i do know chicago quite well. i agree with you, on the ground chicago does have much more than boxes but in term of the skyline it doesnt as they overpower the chicago skyline. i find now that the chicago skyline doesnt look very up to date, it looks like a big 70s skyline, its best seen at night i think where the boxiness gets lost in the deluge of lights
Old January 3rd, 2003, 06:01 AM   #27
Mike

Likes (Received): 12

Great! 9.5/10! I actually like the slightly dated feeling. This is a skyscraper history city and I appreciate the spirit of the first mover.
Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2003, 10:03 AM   #28
parody24

Likes (Received):

Chicago is certainly a 10/10!
It's skyscraper nirvana to me. The Windy City
is obviously one of the Big 3 of the world.
I love the huge scale of the downtown. Plus, it's
all cleaned up, safe to walk around. Lovely parks,
the lake, the history. I love Chicago!
Old January 6th, 2003, 05:18 PM   #29
Eddy

Likes (Received): 0

Of course 10/10!!! It`s just wonderful!
Eddy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2003, 01:49 PM   #30
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 29

My second favorite skyline in the US. 9.5/10, would have been 10 but NYC has that.

heck, i'll just make it 10/10 anyway
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 10:07 AM   #31
Van der Rohe
mies fan

Likes (Received): 400

The best skyline on the world!!! 10/10!
John Hancock Centre is my favourite skyscraper overall!
Old January 28th, 2003, 04:55 PM   #32
renell
Here Since 2002

Likes (Received): 10

10.... no comment
Old January 30th, 2003, 03:15 AM   #33
djcody

Chicago is North America's Queen of skylines... glad to have her.
Old January 30th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #34
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 6774

10/10

Chicago is *THE* Skyscraper city! Where it all began!

Last edited by Cyril; May 6th, 2011 at 02:26 PM.
Cyril no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 04:37 AM   #35
MiL-TowN

Likes (Received):

<table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by Kevinkhoo1986 </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>8.5 from me!!!10/10 just for hong kong and new york. John hancock ruined the skyline in chicago.. and also the big black box </td></tr>
</table>

Honestly people, is it so hard to say "Sears Tower?"

Its sounds quite primitive to call it "big black box."

Also, how on EARTH can you say that John Hancock and Sears Tower ruined the skyline? CHRIST!! They are make the skyline!
Old February 7th, 2003, 05:54 AM   #36
CtrlAltDel

Likes (Received):

I don't like the location of Sears, I wish it was more in the middle, but other than that, I love it. 8.5/10
Old February 7th, 2003, 06:49 AM   #37
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

Likes (Received): 1643

I LOVE Chicago's skyline... it's simply amazing!
9.5!

Old February 8th, 2003, 07:53 AM   #38
Thecityismine

Likes (Received):

Better than NYC, But not as good as HK
Old March 2nd, 2003, 07:28 AM   #39
Chi-town

I love how there's always a troll who will give a city like Chicago or New York a "3 or less rating"

What people don't realize is that both of these cities have more great architecture than you can see in a "skyline shot". Also, they're both cities whose skylines have been growing for over 120 years!

You see "boxes" because the age of the supertall skyscraper in the U.S. was the late '60s, early '70s, when boxes prevailed and Sears, Aon, Hancock, and the WTC were all built. There's more than enough interesting architecture in Chicago. There are old buildings along the Michigan Avenue wall by guys like Louis Sullivan. Hell, he created the Chicago School of Architecture- not an actual school, but a design style which, to an extent, still dominates what our idea of what a skyscraper is today. Chicago has one of the most extensive collections of buildings by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe anywhere (although if you hate boxes you wouldn't like his work). And it has more than its share of great post-modern architecture (the Thompson Center and Sofitel Hotel being two of my personal favorites).

You also have to build skyscrapers that don't clash with the city. If the Tapei Financial Center was built in Chicago, it would make Chicagoans vomit. And there are certain styles that work in tropical environments that wouldn't work in a Northern climate.

I'm always surprised, as well, by the extent to which people are impressed with gaudy neon lights. It's seems like you could put neon pink/green/blue/red/yellow/orange/purple lights all over the skyline of Tulsa, OK, and people here would love it.

Only time will tell if the "cool looking" buildings going up in Asian cities will be considered great or even decent architecture in 50 years time. I'm inclined to believe that most of them won't be.
Chi-town no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 01:40 PM   #40
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 146

Anything below a ten is a digrace!!!!

USA's best. 10

Last edited by Wu-Gambino; March 9th, 2004 at 11:29 PM.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chicago