COFFEE SHOP | Off-Topic Discussions - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Minneapolis-Saint Paul

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #1
divi0013

Likes (Received): 0

COFFEE SHOP | Off-Topic Discussions

i've never heard MLPS

i've always heard, sween and written MPLS

i dunno
divi0013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #2
Minneapolitan
Joshua

My sis gets a kick out of the abreviation. she always thinks to herself 'Mupples' when she sees it. lol

http://www.myspace.com/aka_joshua
Minneapolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #3
Minneapolitan
Joshua

My sis gets a kick out of the abreviation. she always thinks to herself 'Mupples' when she sees it. lol

http://www.myspace.com/aka_joshua

Last edited by Minneapolitan; August 30th, 2005 at 08:14 AM.
Minneapolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2005, 12:18 AM   #4
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1709

^Yup! My friends in Fort Worth call it "Mipples Minn."
Avian001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:18 AM   #5
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1709

^Yup! My friends in Fort Worth call it "Mipples Minn."
Avian001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:30 AM   #6
stephenapolis

Yeah someone had it screwed up. I have never seen it MLPS. Only MPLS.
stephenapolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:30 AM   #7
stephenapolis

Yeah someone had it screwed up. I have never seen it MLPS. Only MPLS.
stephenapolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #8
CityofLakes
City of Mediocrity

Likes (Received): 442

COFFEE SHOP | Off-Topic Discussions

Code:
Please use this thread for all general issues related to 
Twin Cities region and greater Minnesota. 
Thanks a bunch!

- Kyril / Major Deegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Greene View Post
Don't cry. Brooklyn Park is the least white city in the state.

Personally, I'd rather have people that want to be here and contribute interesting things than a bunch of white folk who just want the status quo.
Don't cry? Kinda a douchey response, no?

It is too bad that white Minnesotans find it necessary to leave the inner core as more and more minorities move in. I know. I know. Minnesotans aren't racist, just very progressive.

Last edited by Major Deegan; April 27th, 2015 at 11:26 PM. Reason: moved off topic posts from dev thread here
CityofLakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 07:13 PM   #9
CPAcs

Likes (Received): 157

Really? My own perception is that the trend is exactly the opposite.

creamcityleo79 liked this post
CPAcs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #10
nasa35

Likes (Received): 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofLakes View Post

It is too bad that white Minnesotans find it necessary to leave the inner core as more and more minorities move in. I know. I know. Minnesotans aren't racist, just very progressive.
So sick of the race stuff. Wish everyone would just say they're an American.

MJinOshkosh liked this post
nasa35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 07:44 PM   #11
go4guy

Likes (Received): 125

Agree, Nasa. Taking about race, like it has been here, is just ignorant. Let's just stop with it and keep on topic.
go4guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #12
illogicaljake

Likes (Received): 525

Quote:
Are you talking about the suburbanization that happened in the 60's through 90's? If so, it's far from a Minnesotan thing, it affected every city across the country.

And to say it's a necessity could be a bit much, as what typically played out is that white homeowners were commonly more wealthy and more likely to own cars. These homeowners moved to the suburbs where land was abundant, prices were cheap, and buildings were newer. And, of course, racism was pretty common.

In turn, the poorer homeowners (typically minorities,) were left in the city, unable to afford a car or a new home. As land value went up in the suburbs, they dropped quickly in the city. Living in the city became cheap, demand was low and supply was high.

But most of this trend has been bucked since the 1990's, or at least into the 2000's. Recent studies conflict whether more people are moving back into the city versus the suburbs today, but suburbs aren't the strong trend that they once were.
illogicaljake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #13
StoJa9
BANNED

Likes (Received): 274

Oh, good. Race talk. It's like being back at Urban again.
StoJa9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #14
CityofLakes
City of Mediocrity

Likes (Received): 442

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa35 View Post
So sick of the race stuff. Wish everyone would just say they're an American.
Well, race, ethnicity, gender, etc. are all very real - they aren't just going to disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illogicaljake View Post
Are you talking about the suburbanization that happened in the 60's through 90's? If so, it's far from a Minnesotan thing, it affected every city across the country.

But most of this trend has been bucked since the 1990's, or at least into the 2000's. Recent studies conflict whether more people are moving back into the city versus the suburbs today, but suburbs aren't the strong trend that they once were.
No, I'm not talking about what happened between the 50s and the 90s. I'm talking about what is still happening today. The white population of the central core (MPLS and STPL) is still moving out. For example, St. Paul's white population in 1980 was 239,341, as of the 2010 Census it was 159,437. As of 2013 it was 158,723. Whatever the case, most here don't see it as an issue so I will drop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_Dispatcher_Guy View Post
That was my thought on the whole kicking them out so early, but then the comment from Frey to come back and to not give up. Being so tall outside the core made it an outlyer and I think if this city is going to go taller than the IDS that keeping the Pyramid shape of our downtown is very important to many and easier on the eyes....It would be the pinnical of the sky line, like the peak of the mountain. So hopefully he does come back and give it ago closer to the main core of height in the downtown area
Do people really care if the MPLS skyline has a pyramid shape?

Last edited by CityofLakes; February 9th, 2015 at 08:56 PM.
CityofLakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 08:57 PM   #15
David Greene

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:

Apologies for being curt. I was trying to make a point that demographics aren't what they used to be and most people don't know this. People make all sorts of assumptions about race, immigration, poverty, wealth that just aren't true.

Totally agree that race is a central issue in our region, no matter how many people don't want to talk about it. Until we talk about it the problem is just going to fester and deepen. The centre cannot hold.
David Greene no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #16
nasa35

Likes (Received): 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Greene View Post
Apologies for being curt. I was trying to make a point that demographics aren't what they used to be and most people don't know this. People make all sorts of assumptions about race, immigration, poverty, wealth that just aren't true.

Totally agree that race is a central issue in our region, no matter how many people don't want to talk about it. Until we talk about it the problem is just going to fester and deepen. The centre cannot hold.
it's always talked about; it's never ending. Lets end it.
nasa35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 09:46 PM   #17
illogicaljake

Likes (Received): 525

Pretending that race and socioeconomic status doesn't play a role in development is just purposefully keeping on blinders. But I guess it makes the conversation more "friendly" to not bring up how some people have it worse than others based on factors they can't control.

creamcityleo79, scsj liked this post
illogicaljake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 11:04 PM   #18
David Greene

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa35 View Post
it's always talked about; it's never ending. Lets end it.
I can assure you that for the people impacted most, it is not talked about nearly as much as is needed; hardly at all, really.
David Greene no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #19
lancestar2

Likes (Received): 1038

well, I will say this I used to work for a section 42 property that did accept section 8 housing as well and while my time there was short (less than a year) some of the other caretakers had opinions and viewpoints about things that were happening.

The property that I worked for was in Brooklyn Park and was built on top of a swampy area and cost a great deal of money. From her perspective "they" the powers to be were trying to force the poverty out of North Minneapolis and into the north suburbs that way they could help Minneapolis become a better city again more diversity of low income and middle income a safer place and a better environment overall. I don't think she was a racist or was bias in anyway, though I wonder if she fully understood the entire picture. I will say many people coming to rent were usually from 3 areas the Brooklyn Park/Brooklyn Center area, Chicago, or Minneapolis. The racial breakdown was very predominate black and latino and a smaller white population.

If you look at the population breakdown of the black community you see that in 2000 14% of all residents were black compared to 26% in 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Center,_Minnesota

Also Brooklyn Park also experienced this jump from 2000 at 14% to 2010 24%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Park,_Minnesota

I do wonder if it's an organized effort either move the poverty out of North Minneapolis or the spread out the poverty to allow for a more diverse community.

I do understand I have a flaw by suggesting the increase in black people into the cities suggest they are poverty (although I will point out the latino population also increase 6-8% in both cities within the 10 year time frame) Many black people are successful and you can't label them all in one category.

However can we assume that there must be an increase in poverty based only on the data that suggest that overall minority groups don't make as much income as white people do? I mean we could assume had the city increased it's percentage from 40% female to 60% female we could assume the income would have also decrease because in general women do not make as much money as men do based on the studies. Right or wrong this data have been shown to suggest such things.

What do you think?

I think it could be very possible that Minneapolis and other government workers are trying to spread out the poverty by migrating them to the suburbs to clean up north Minneapolis. Also if you do take into account that many white people are also live in poverty they would not be taken into account based on the race makeup, which would mean the migration of poverty into the north suburbs could even be greater. I do think it's in the cities best interest to diversify the poverty and by spreading them out it helps the entire community become livable otherwise poor communities would have less opportunities such as shopping options.

I thought it was interesting enough to share considering people wanted to have a discussion about race and development. Do you think there is a trend of moving poverty out of North Minneapolis to diversify the community so a mixture of income levels can exist? I think it would be a very successful idea, I myself never venture into North Minneapolis it has gotten such a bad name. I know when I was working at the apartment property there was a growing issue of gang violence which I thought was rather odd to see in the suburbs. Has that always been the case or has the inner north suburbs recently started develop into a type of "New North Minneapolis"

Thoughts?

creamcityleo79 liked this post
lancestar2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 12:32 AM   #20
creamcityleo79
Urbangeopolitiphile

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancestar2 View Post
well, I will say this I used to work for a section 42 property that did accept section 8 housing as well and while my time there was short (less than a year) some of the other caretakers had opinions and viewpoints about things that were happening.

The property that I worked for was in Brooklyn Park and was built on top of a swampy area and cost a great deal of money. From her perspective "they" the powers to be were trying to force the poverty out of North Minneapolis and into the north suburbs that way they could help Minneapolis become a better city again more diversity of low income and middle income a safer place and a better environment overall. I don't think she was a racist or was bias in anyway, though I wonder if she fully understood the entire picture. I will say many people coming to rent were usually from 3 areas the Brooklyn Park/Brooklyn Center area, Chicago, or Minneapolis. The racial breakdown was very predominate black and latino and a smaller white population.

If you look at the population breakdown of the black community you see that in 2000 14% of all residents were black compared to 26% in 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Center,_Minnesota

Also Brooklyn Park also experienced this jump from 2000 at 14% to 2010 24%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Park,_Minnesota

I do wonder if it's an organized effort either move the poverty out of North Minneapolis or the spread out the poverty to allow for a more diverse community.

I do understand I have a flaw by suggesting the increase in black people into the cities suggest they are poverty (although I will point out the latino population also increase 6-8% in both cities within the 10 year time frame) Many black people are successful and you can't label them all in one category.

However can we assume that there must be an increase in poverty based only on the data that suggest that overall minority groups don't make as much income as white people do? I mean we could assume had the city increased it's percentage from 40% female to 60% female we could assume the income would have also decrease because in general women do not make as much money as men do based on the studies. Right or wrong this data have been shown to suggest such things.

What do you think?

I think it could be very possible that Minneapolis and other government workers are trying to spread out the poverty by migrating them to the suburbs to clean up north Minneapolis. Also if you do take into account that many white people are also live in poverty they would not be taken into account based on the race makeup, which would mean the migration of poverty into the north suburbs could even be greater. I do think it's in the cities best interest to diversify the poverty and by spreading them out it helps the entire community become livable otherwise poor communities would have less opportunities such as shopping options.

I thought it was interesting enough to share considering people wanted to have a discussion about race and development. Do you think there is a trend of moving poverty out of North Minneapolis to diversify the community so a mixture of income levels can exist? I think it would be a very successful idea, I myself never venture into North Minneapolis it has gotten such a bad name. I know when I was working at the apartment property there was a growing issue of gang violence which I thought was rather odd to see in the suburbs. Has that always been the case or has the inner north suburbs recently started develop into a type of "New North Minneapolis"

Thoughts?
It's interesting, because I live in Robbinsdale and I have NEVER found North Minneapolis to be this place that is rancid with crime and dangerous like others have said (not necessarily on this board).
creamcityleo79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement