SAINT PAUL General Developments - Page 38 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Minneapolis-Saint Paul

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2016, 01:27 AM   #741
MN Fats

Likes (Received): 158

Star Wars Episode I, nice!

smoothuser liked this post
MN Fats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2016, 02:16 AM   #742
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Deegan View Post
Neat! Hopefully, they thought about including some ground floor space for retail or a restaurant.
The property owner tried really hard with another building they own, 81st on 7th, across the street. Unfortunately no luck. But they did a nice renovation on that building. Took several years, but it's largely leased up now. They also own the Golden Rule Building, which is about 95% leased too. Tells me they know what they're doing.

I saw a couple weeks ago they're up for some grant money from the MetCouncil for this property. It's good to see some commercial office development in downtown. Even if it's pretty small by comparison.

Major Deegan liked this post
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 07:22 PM   #743
John Nicollet Mall

Likes (Received): 2137

Maybe it's a small development, but it's positive impact on that corner is powerful. Striking transformation and adaptive reuse of a building by a creative developer. Wish we would see more of this happen in our downtowns.

Last edited by John Nicollet Mall; April 28th, 2016 at 07:37 PM.
John Nicollet Mall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2016, 01:58 AM   #744
altfelix

Likes (Received): 35

I've worked in the Golden Rule Building for more than 8 years and can attest that it's well-managed and well-liked by my coworkers. Nice to see something happen with our sad next-door neighbor.
altfelix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 11:16 PM   #745
spectre000

Untitled by spectre 000, on Flickr

bptenor, John Nicollet Mall, Le Sueur liked this post
Old May 6th, 2016, 04:51 PM   #746
spectre000

A rendering of the second phase of the new Dorothy Day center.

I'm happy to see the old building on 9th St will be preserved.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...!4d-93.0901841

I've seen a B&W photo in a Highland Villager. I think where the current DD Center is will become a parking lot. I could be wrong though. Still, with the other projects going up in the vicinity, the area is really going to be filled in nicely. Lots of taller street walls.

achybo liked this post
Old May 6th, 2016, 07:46 PM   #747
anjunabeats91

Likes (Received): 1317

I will say it is too bad they don't put up something here that would be better for this area it being prime real estate, like a hotel, retail, restaruants, etc. This is right where the Xcel Energy arena is and that should had some complimentary developments like right where this is going up. It's just an underutilized block, and you could almost think of it as a gateway area to downtown that could have some great potential.

By the way, just so no one takes this completely wrong and comes at me, I'm not saying to kick out this place for the homeless. Rather that there are plenty other non-prime locations in downtown where this could go up, like similar to where the phase 1 one is going up now.
anjunabeats91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 08:19 PM   #748
spectre000

I think phase 1 is up in about the best place it could go as its right next to the freeway. There are a few small corners in and around downtown that could've also worked. But there are really no "good" places for a homeless shelter. No neighborhood wants em.

But I would say given the fact we've got two hotels and three apartment buildings in the works in the surrounding area, this new vision for Dorothy Day isn't hindering new development. If anything it's finally enticing private development to come in.
Old May 7th, 2016, 02:29 AM   #749
anjunabeats91

Yeah that's true. Speaking of, what's the status of that residential and hotel development that's right in front of the Xcel Center, next to this? That would be exciting to see that go up there
Old May 7th, 2016, 08:02 AM   #750
John Nicollet Mall

Likes (Received): 2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
I think phase 1 is up in about the best place it could go as its right next to the freeway. There are a few small corners in and around downtown that could've also worked. But there are really no "good" places for a homeless shelter. No neighborhood wants em.
As long as the shelter is well run , and they have some expectations re: no drug dealing, no aggressive panhandling, respectful behavior etc. it should work out fine and be a decent neighbor.
John Nicollet Mall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 02:35 PM   #751
spectre000

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunabeats91 View Post
Yeah that's true. Speaking of, what's the status of that residential and hotel development that's right in front of the Xcel Center, next to this? That would be exciting to see that go up there
I believe it was originally intended to begin in the spring of 2017. Opus planned to start it about a year after finishing Oxbo. Presumably to allow it to lease up, get financing in order, etc. Given Oxbo's slightly later start they may not begin until the end of next year.

The original RFP set a deadline of final design by 4/30/16. But I haven't seen anything on the HRA agenda. That makes me a little nervous. Opus had set dates of when it was required to name a hotelier (Rad. Red) which it kept to last year.

But I'm confident Oxbo will lease up in a flash so I doubt Opus has any plans to cancel the Gateway project.

anjunabeats91 liked this post
Old May 7th, 2016, 11:21 PM   #752
spectre000

Le Sueur, pierre_allouez liked this post
Old May 8th, 2016, 04:50 PM   #753
ryan0290

Likes (Received): 31

Is that Victoria Park?
ryan0290 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 08:18 PM   #754
spectre000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan0290 View Post
Is that Victoria Park?

Yes. I should label my photos...too lazy.
Old May 12th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #755
spectre000

The Annual PiPr development run down of the city. Some notable projects cited.

St. Paul's largest development projects of 2016

5. RAMSEY COUNTY WEST BUILDING
demolition will be complete by August, with bluff stabilization continuing to August 2017.

15. CENTRAL STATION
which it acquired by eminent domain. Readying the land for sale and private-sector redevelopment has been complicated by eminent domain laws.

(This is intriguing. A situation I hadn't considered, and likely neither did the government. It certainly wouldn't seem fair to seize private property only to turn it around and sell for redevelopment. Some more research needs to be done. I wonder, and hope, there's just a time limit involved. Maybe after so many years then the land can be "flipped".)

21. SEVEN CORNERS GATEWAY
Cost estimates are expected in May, with a development agreement likely by February 2017.

65. SIBLEY PLAZA
key potential tenants — an LA Fitness and Fresh Thyme grocer — have pulled out.

anjunabeats91, Le Sueur liked this post
Old May 12th, 2016, 06:55 PM   #756
anjunabeats91

Jeez that really puts into perspective all of the developments in just St. Paul. They aren't exaggerating when they say 80+ developments in the St. Paul area.

One in particular I'd love to see get developed is the Sears store off of Marion street. It would be a great place to extend some density and maybe even a 10+ story condo building which would have great views of everything DT St. Paul has
Old May 12th, 2016, 08:06 PM   #757
spectre000

Sears is in so much trouble it's unlikely to develop it itself. If Sears goes under I just hope it's privately redeveloped and not bought up by the State. If the state gets it, it'll just become parking ramps.
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #758
spectre000

A sound level variance is going before the next City Council meeting to allow for demolition work of the current Brownstone building on University Ave. Dates for the work are 7/11-7/29.

Really looking forward to this project.

bptenor liked this post
Old May 12th, 2016, 11:38 PM   #759
anjunabeats91

Sorry yeah I meant to say get rid of Sears, and have a new development at its site. It does look like it's hanging on by a thread. Surprised it still is
Old May 12th, 2016, 11:52 PM   #760
CPAcs

Likes (Received): 157

I did hear that the Sears site was in the running for the soccer stadium site before Midway was chosen. Boy would that have been one hell of a backdrop.

Major Deegan, smoothuser liked this post
CPAcs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
st. paul, twin cities