GENERAL DISCUSSION - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: What's your favourite stadium site?
www.worldofstadiums.com 3 11.11%
www.worldstadiums.com 8 29.63%
www.stadiumguide.com 0 0%
www.stadiumdb.com 11 40.74%
Another site... 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Marckymarc
Namasté
 
Marckymarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: West Coast, USA
Posts: 985
Likes (Received): 276

Do all arena/stadium game clocks have a glitch?

Are there 48:04 seconds in an NBA game? 60:03 in an NHL game?...

Most people think I'm crazy when I pose this but I'm 99% sure I'm correct.
Now follow me on this:

When the game clock switches to tenths/seconds in the last minute of a period I say that they inadvertently add a full second to the clock.

The countdown goes, 1:02....1:01....1:00....59.9....58.9...57.9....and so on.

But isn't this incorrect? Shouldn't the clock go down from 1:00 (60) to 58.9 (59)?

Going from 1:00 to 59.9 as they do is basically counting the same second twice. You can prove this very easily just by verbally counting down 1 minute...59...58...57...and so on until you get to zero...but of course the horn doesn't sound when you get to "zero" because you then have 10/10ths (another second) to expire before the clock reaches 0:00 and the official horn.

So in reality a regulation NBA game is 48:04 instead of 48 minutes. All of the other sports would similarly have 1 extra second in each period.

Any thoughts? I'm not the sharpest knife in the block but I find it hard to believe no one's ever caught this.
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Darloeye
Registered User
 
Darloeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: County Durham, England
Posts: 1,822
Likes (Received): 84

Yes I seem to think you have a point. But been up almost 24hours
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #3
CharlieP
Tax avoider
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 23,901
Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckymarc View Post
Are there 48:04 seconds in an NBA game? 60:03 in an NHL game?...

Most people think I'm crazy when I pose this but I'm 99% sure I'm correct.
Now follow me on this:

When the game clock switches to tenths/seconds in the last minute of a period I say that they inadvertently add a full second to the clock.

The countdown goes, 1:02....1:01....1:00....59.9....58.9...57.9....and so on.

But isn't this incorrect? Shouldn't the clock go down from 1:00 (60) to 58.9 (59)?
No. It should go from 1:00 to 59.9.

Quote:
Going from 1:00 to 59.9 as they do is basically counting the same second twice. You can prove this very easily just by verbally counting down 1 minute...59...58...57...and so on until you get to zero...but of course the horn doesn't sound when you get to "zero" because you then have 10/10ths (another second) to expire before the clock reaches 0:00 and the official horn.
If you verbally count the way you describe, you're actually counting early.

The clock is basically "hiding" the decimal until it gets below 1 minute - when you see it flash up "1:00", you've just passed the 1:01 point. In that second that you can see "1:00", it's counting down from 1:00.999 to 1:00.

Hope this makes sense.
__________________
This signature is socialist and un-American.
CharlieP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #4
Marckymarc
Namasté
 
Marckymarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: West Coast, USA
Posts: 985
Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
No. It should go from 1:00 to 59.9.



If you verbally count the way you describe, you're actually counting early.

The clock is basically "hiding" the decimal until it gets below 1 minute - when you see it flash up "1:00", you've just passed the 1:01 point. In that second that you can see "1:00", it's counting down from 1:00.999 to 1:00.

Hope this makes sense.
It still doesn't make sense.

The clock should tick down from 1:01 to 59.9 because 59.9 is 1:00. Ticking down from 1:01......1:00......59.9...... is adding a phantom second.

As far as hiding the decimal point what you're not taking into consideration is that when the period begins it's basically starting at 12:00.9 and counting down to 0:00--that's a full second too long. The clock should start at 11:59.9, which would be represented as just 11:59.
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #5
ultEmate
ульт
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,439
Likes (Received): 29411

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
The clock is basically "hiding" the decimal until it gets below 1 minute - when you see it flash up "1:00", you've just passed the 1:01 point. In that second that you can see "1:00", it's counting down from 1:00.999 to 1:00.
^This.
Quote:
The clock should start at 11:59.9, which would be represented as just 11:59.
It IS starting at 11:59.999. It's called rounding off.
ultEmate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #6
CharlieP
Tax avoider
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 23,901
Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckymarc View Post
It still doesn't make sense.

The clock should tick down from 1:01 to 59.9 because 59.9 is 1:00. Ticking down from 1:01......1:00......59.9...... is adding a phantom second.
1:01 for one second
1:00 for one second
59.9 for 0.1 seconds
59.8 for 0.1 seconds

etc.

Furthermore, if your eyes were quick enough, you'd see that the game finished after displaying 0.0 for 0.1 seconds.

Quote:
As far as hiding the decimal point what you're not taking into consideration is that when the period begins it's basically starting at 12:00.9 and counting down to 0:00--that's a full second too long. The clock should start at 11:59.9, which would be represented as just 11:59.
No, the clock should show 12:00 before the period starts, then jump straight to 11:59 for one second, then 11:58 for one second and so on. Unfortunately, since you can't see exactly when the timekeeper presses his little button, this isn't apparent.
__________________
This signature is socialist and un-American.
CharlieP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #7
Rev Stickleback
Registered User
 
Rev Stickleback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,193
Likes (Received): 2617

When the scoreboard gets to 0, the games ends. It doesn't end after one second of the scoreboard showing 0.


To spell it out rather more bluntly, imagine a game lasting just one second.

When the game started, there'd be a big 1 on the scoreboard.

That 1 would stay there for one second.

The scoreboard would then show 0, and the game would end immediately. It would not show 0 for a further second, then end the game.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Alemanniafan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 676
Likes (Received): 20


Tadaa we've got a new Einstein in the forum!

Now on topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckymarc View Post
It still doesn't make sense.

The clock should tick down from 1:01 to 59.9 because 59.9 is 1:00. Ticking down from 1:01......1:00......59.9...... is adding a phantom second.

As far as hiding the decimal point what you're not taking into consideration is that when the period begins it's basically starting at 12:00.9 and counting down to 0:00--that's a full second too long. The clock should start at 11:59.9, which would be represented as just 11:59.

It should properly be like this:
elapsed time:............] [ 1 second ] [ ooooooooooonnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeee ssssseeeeeccccccooooonnnnnnnnddddd]
elapsed time:............] [ 1 second ] [ 1/10 sec ] [ 1/10 sec ] [......................................................................] [.........]End of game
time left to play:......1:01..........1:00............59.9.............59.8..........59.7..................................................59.0.........0
identical to:.............61.0..........60.0............59.9.............59.8..........59.7..................................................59.0.........0

or alternatively:.......1:01..........1:00.......................................................................................................0:59.........0

There should definetely be only 1/10 sec elapsing between the clock showing 1:00 and 59.9 because 1 minute is identical to 60.0 seconds that simple. And the game really should end immediately right the incident the 0 is hit, not after the 0 is up there for a while.
__________________
TIVOLI - I LOV IT !!!

Last edited by Alemanniafan; February 24th, 2011 at 11:54 PM.
Alemanniafan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #9
Welshlad
Socialogically Diseased
 
Welshlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 402
Likes (Received): 9

I think some people think too much
Welshlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #10
CharlieP
Tax avoider
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 23,901
Likes (Received): 2087

Diagrams are fun!

This is what's actually happening, if we break it down by 1/10 of a second at a time:

Time remaining - Time displayed on clock

...
61.1 seconds - 1:01.1
61.0 seconds - 1:01.0
60.9 seconds - 1:00.9
60.8 seconds - 1:00.8
60.7 seconds - 1:00.7
60.6 seconds - 1:00.6
60.5 seconds - 1:00.5
60.4 seconds - 1:00.4
60.3 seconds - 1:00.3
60.2 seconds - 1:00.2
60.1 seconds - 1:00.1
60.0 seconds - 1:00.0
59.9 seconds - 59.9
59.8 seconds - 59.8
59.7 seconds - 59.7
59.6 seconds - 59.6
59.5 seconds - 59.5
59.4 seconds - 59.4
59.3 seconds - 59.3
59.2 seconds - 59.2
...
__________________
This signature is socialist and un-American.
CharlieP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #11
CharlieP
Tax avoider
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 23,901
Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
Diagrams are fun!

This is what's actually happening, if we break it down by 1/10 of a second at a time:

Time remaining - Time displayed on clock

...
61.1 seconds - 1:01.1
61.0 seconds - 1:01.0
60.9 seconds - 1:00.9
60.8 seconds - 1:00.8
60.7 seconds - 1:00.7
60.6 seconds - 1:00.6
60.5 seconds - 1:00.5
60.4 seconds - 1:00.4
60.3 seconds - 1:00.3
60.2 seconds - 1:00.2
60.1 seconds - 1:00.1
60.0 seconds - 1:00.0
59.9 seconds - 59.9
59.8 seconds - 59.8
59.7 seconds - 59.7
59.6 seconds - 59.6
59.5 seconds - 59.5
59.4 seconds - 59.4
59.3 seconds - 59.3
59.2 seconds - 59.2
...
Or, if we assume that the clock refreshes its display every 1/50 of a second:

60.20 seconds - 1:00.2
60.18 seconds - 1:00.1
60.16 seconds - 1:00.1
60.14 seconds - 1:00.1
60.12 seconds - 1:00.1
60.10 seconds - 1:00.1
60.08 seconds - 1:00.0
60.06 seconds - 1:00.0
60.04 seconds - 1:00.0
60.02 seconds - 1:00.0
60.00 seconds - 1:00.0
59.98 seconds - 59.9
59.96 seconds - 59.9
59.94 seconds - 59.9
59.92 seconds - 59.9
59.90 seconds - 59.9
59.88 seconds - 59.8
59.86 seconds - 59.8
59.84 seconds - 59.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckymarc View Post
Going from 1:00 to 59.9 as they do is basically counting the same second twice. You can prove this very easily just by verbally counting down 1 minute...59...58...57...and so on until you get to zero...but of course the horn doesn't sound when you get to "zero" because you then have 10/10ths (another second) to expire before the clock reaches 0:00 and the official horn.
If you're shouting out the numbers as soon as you see them appear, you'll shout "sixty-one!" at 1:01.98, "sixty!" at 1:00.98, "fifty-nine!" at 59.98, "fifty-eight!" at 58.98 and so on until "one!" at 1.98, "zero!" at 0.98, and, as you say, you get the hooter a second later.

Quote:
Any thoughts? I'm not the sharpest knife in the block but I find it hard to believe no one's ever caught this.
That's because there's nothing to catch. If there was a mistake, the lawyers would have had a field day by now.
__________________
This signature is socialist and un-American.

Last edited by CharlieP; February 25th, 2011 at 01:06 AM.
CharlieP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 04:42 AM   #12
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,695
Likes (Received): 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshlad View Post
I think some people think too much
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #13
westsidebomber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 212
Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
Diagrams are fun!

This is what's actually happening, if we break it down by 1/10 of a second at a time:

Time remaining - Time displayed on clock

...
61.1 seconds - 1:01.1
61.0 seconds - 1:01.0
60.9 seconds - 1:00.9
60.8 seconds - 1:00.8
60.7 seconds - 1:00.7
60.6 seconds - 1:00.6
60.5 seconds - 1:00.5
60.4 seconds - 1:00.4
60.3 seconds - 1:00.3
60.2 seconds - 1:00.2
60.1 seconds - 1:00.1
60.0 seconds - 1:00.0
59.9 seconds - 59.9
59.8 seconds - 59.8
59.7 seconds - 59.7
59.6 seconds - 59.6
59.5 seconds - 59.5
59.4 seconds - 59.4
59.3 seconds - 59.3
59.2 seconds - 59.2
...
THIS^

This is exactly how it displays on the hardware. Here's a picture I have of from when I used to run my grade school's scoreboard. That ".whatever" is always there. You just don't see it on the actual scoreboard.

westsidebomber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 07:10 AM   #14
Marckymarc
Namasté
 
Marckymarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: West Coast, USA
Posts: 985
Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultEmate View Post
^This.

It IS starting at 11:59.999. It's called rounding off.
No it's not--that's the point. It starts at 12:00.9. That's why when the period begins you see the clock show 12:00 for a full second.
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #15
Marckymarc
Namasté
 
Marckymarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: West Coast, USA
Posts: 985
Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
If you're shouting out the numbers as soon as you see them appear, you'll shout "sixty-one!" at 1:01.98, "sixty!" at 1:00.98, "fifty-nine!" at 59.98, "fifty-eight!" at 58.98 and so on until "one!" at 1.98, "zero!" at 0.98, and, as you say, you get the hooter a second later.
Why would you shout "fifty-nine!" at 59.9?

59.9 should be "sixty", 58.9 should be "fifty-nine" ...eventually down to "one" at 0:00.9, and "zero" at 0:00.0

The horn should sound when you hit "zero!", not a second later.
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #16
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,497
Likes (Received): 186

You're thinking about this waaaaaaaay too much. It's just as simple as it seems.

That 1% chance that you might be wrong? You are. Not trying to mean or anything.
__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #17
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,497
Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckymarc View Post
No it's not--that's the point. It starts at 12:00.9. That's why when the period begins you see the clock show 12:00 for a full second.
No, it's not. By what you're saying, it would say 12:00 for 2 seconds.

This thread reminds me way too much of this. The answer is right in front of you.

__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #18
Marckymarc
Namasté
 
Marckymarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: West Coast, USA
Posts: 985
Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
You're thinking about this waaaaaaaay too much. It's just as simple as it seems.

That 1% chance that you might be wrong? You are. Not trying to mean or anything.
I agree that it's as simple as it seems. An accurate clock simply does not take a full second to go from one minute to 59.9 seconds. Doesn't get much simpler than that.
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #19
Marckymarc
Namasté
 
Marckymarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: West Coast, USA
Posts: 985
Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
No, it's not. By what you're saying, it would say 12:00 for 2 seconds.
No, not at all. When the clock starts it takes a second to tick down to 11:59 (fact), therefore after exactly 12 minutes of play the clock reads 0:00.9 (fact). Add an additional second and the horn sounds to end the period (fact). Total time: 12:01 (fact). It's basic, simple math.


-
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #20
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,497
Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckymarc View Post
I agree that it's as simple as it seems. An accurate clock simply does not take a full second to go from one minute to 59.9 seconds. Doesn't get much simpler than that.
Because when the clock says 1:00, it's actually 1:00.9. Therefore, it takes an entire second to change from 1:00 to 59.9.
__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us