Britton Plaza - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area > Skyway Lounge

Skyway Lounge Discussions about the Tampa Bay area community.... news, nightlife, attractions, sports, events, etc.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2009, 04:42 PM   #41
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

Likes (Received): 40

Boy, merchandising sure has come a long way.

Its amazing anyone could find anything, let alone want to buy anything.
DShenise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM   #42
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 2008

I wonder what part of the plaza this store was located in. I also wonder when Frank's Nursery opened. I remember when it went out of business in the late 90s when Home Depot was built just down the street.

EDIT: The more "old timers" I ask about where Publix originally was, the more I seem to get the same answer, which is apparently the same space that Albertsons occupied.

Last edited by HARTride 2012; January 30th, 2009 at 05:32 PM.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #43
HARTride 2012

What about that five-and-dime store where "Tuesday Morning" is now. Gosh I keep forgetting the name, but on the floor just outside the entryway, you can see where the store's name is scratched out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #44
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShenise View Post
Boy, merchandising sure has come a long way.

Its amazing anyone could find anything, let alone want to buy anything.
Yeah, and nowadays, most jewlery has to be kept in cases. Unless you're a merchant like Burlington Coat Factory that sells their jewlery for such a bargain price, yet you know the items aren't even worth that much....
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:57 PM   #45
HARTride 2012

Britton Plaza Photos

Took these today...

...and "snuck" this one in too.

In addition, I now remember the name of that "Five & Dime" store where Tuesday Morning sits now. It was called Neisner's. Does anyone know anything about that store?

image hosted on flickr

The flooring outside Tuesday Morning looks just like this, except the Neisner name is scratched out.

The third thing I want to point out is that in recent days, large segments of failing pavement in the parking lots have been torn out. I'm hoping that this is a signal that all the plaza's parking lots will be repaved soon.

Finally, I've created a wiki for Britton Plaza. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britton_Plaza

Last edited by HARTride 2012; February 2nd, 2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #46
HARTride 2012

I posted this on the Publix thread as well, but anyways, when I stopped in the store today. I was told by one of the associates that the store would be having another remodel in the spring. Among the improvements; expanded restrooms. I don't know how Albertsons got by with restrooms that only had one toilet. And they didn't keep thier restrooms maintained well at all. They were filthy and smelly. I know Publix doesn't put up with things like that and I am very delighted to hear about the future improvements.
Old February 4th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #47
TampaIAm

Likes (Received): 3

Just went to the new Publix in Britton Plaza the otehr day...GREAT BIG WIDE Ailes..lots of space...nice store, lots of room
Old February 4th, 2009, 04:50 AM   #48
HARTride 2012

Yeah, pretty neat store. I'm wondering now if the rest of the plaza will be remodeled down the road. In an earlier post, I mentioned that Britton isn't the best of shopping centers, but it usually has good bargains. Also, the Gandy Publix is almost claustrophobic when it comes ot their aisles. The Target store next door also has very narrow aisles.

EDIT: Neptune Publix is undergoing some remodeling too. They're expanding the Pharmacy and doing some modifications to the Deli, Bakery, Meat, Produce, and Seafood areas.

Last edited by HARTride 2012; February 5th, 2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #49
HARTride 2012

Two more pictures today.

Old February 6th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #50
HARTride 2012

Old pics....

The original facade of the Britton Plaza Publix looked like this...

Pics from the Burgert Bros collection. Late 1950s.

Aerial

Courtyard. Hard to believe this area of the plaza is now total crap.

Last edited by HARTride 2012; February 6th, 2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old February 6th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #51
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 801

Those were cool looking facades, lets face it all the converted Albertsons for the most part look like crap on the outside.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #52
HARTride 2012

The ENTIRE PLAZA looks like crap exteriorwise now. Whenever the owner did the last renovation/expansion, it seemed to totally destroy the original charm of the plaza. That courtyard section looked much better in that 50s photo than it does now. There is barely any landscaping in that courtyard now whatsoever. Mostly just bare cement walkways, the little whatever booth, and only a few storefronts. I think on the south and north ends of the courtyard though, there is no more room for potential, except for aesthetic improvements, because you have the pet shop on the north end taking up multiple spaces, and then on the south side is Tapper Pub. Like I said in an earlier post, Britton looks like a trashy, poorly retroed shopping center. The current 70s look sure gives the perception that it carries a lot of bargain stores, but in the end, it just looks horrendous.

However, throughout the plaza, you can see areas of bricked wall that are reminiscent of the old plaza. And the landmark arch sign still remains.

And yes, a lot of the standalone conversions look like junk on the outside too. The marroon I think gives Britton a facelift, while the color looks horrendous on just about every other conversion. Then again though, Publix is doing another remodel later this year, and maybe they will change the marron color to something else. I think for most, if not all the conversions, Publix is doing a "universal" change, where everything is mostly the same. Then as individual stores get their second remodel, then specific changes are going to be made to where that one store looks distinct from the rest. The Britton location, from what I understand will be getting expanded restrooms and a permanent "Apron's" kitchen setup. But that's all I know about right now.

Last edited by HARTride 2012; February 6th, 2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #53
HARTride 2012

What a neat Valentines display....

I've never seen a store display for Valentines that included a piano (right).
Old February 20th, 2009, 05:03 AM   #54
HARTride 2012

The recession has claimed another victim.....Fashion Bug. So far, only a couple locations are closing, including the Britton location.

I think this will up the vacancies to around 6 or 7.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:55 PM   #55
HARTride 2012

Taco Bell was remodeled and looks very nice now

Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:21 AM   #56
HARTride 2012

You know, I've been visualizing how Britton Plaza could be overhauled. Perhaps I should come up with a rendering....

Old March 9th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #57
HARTride 2012

Looks like the rest of the parking lots will get the "spray on" asphalt treatment. I saw one such area being worked on this morning.

Old March 24th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #58
HARTride 2012

The parking lots are looking much better now. Only a few more areas to fix.

As for Fashion Bug, its gone now. I think they might have pulled out simply cause their lease ran out and the rent went up. Shoot, the rent went up for everyone at Britton Plaza recently.

Old March 26th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #59
HARTride 2012

new businesses

I drove around Britton Plaza the other day and noticed several things...

*China Garden is expanding into the space once occupied by Athlete's Foot.
*Remodeling work is ongoing in the space once occupied by Awesome Jewelery.
*Arby's is planning to move into the space once occupied by Hardee's. An Arby's sign hangs on one of the windows.

This will definitely be a good thing, as the recession is seemingly beginning to blow over. Even then, that's not stopping all businesses from jumping in. Specifically, right now, South Tampa is without an Arby's restaurant. I think the closest one is on MLK or Hillsborough.

Old April 13th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #60
HARTride 2012

It just occured to me that......

Britton Plaza probably received an overhaul in the late 1980s, which brought it to the appearance and layout that it is now. The main reason being is that of course Albertsons builds its stores...and tends to build its stores large.

After searching up some obnoxious videos on YouTube, like this one above (pause like in the very beginning when the silly teens enter the store), it has occurred to me that when Albertsons took over the Britton Plaza space, they decided to conduct a complete makeover. That is, expand the building to create office space and the customer service area (hence why this portion of the building juts out today as opposed to the original plaza, pictured above in the b/w photos). This is also why you see those, what I call "watchtower style" windows just above customer service, in the slightly vaulted ceiling. It seems that many Albertsons stores built during a certain period of time (maybe mid to late 80s/early 90s) were built this way.

Nonetheless, whenever the plaza renovation was done, it completely destroyed the original charm of the plaza. What I'm hoping for in the next few years is that another plaza-wide remodel will be done. Not only to spruce things up to attract new business, and keep Publix happy. But also to attract shoppers who otherwise will go to the future WalMart.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
florida, plaza, tampa