Peaky Blinders Appreciation Thread - Page 13 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2019, 08:55 PM   #241
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamJim View Post
I was under the impression Shelby was still a prominent figure in gangland Birmingham in the sixties.
Peaky Blinders were a gang in 1890’s. They pretty much died by 1930. It’s said that they were mainly teenagers and early 20yr olds. So Tommy if real must have lived a very long life.

Whether there were other Shelby’s is a different matter. In any case, non of the gang had the name Shelby apparently.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

Last edited by djay; September 24th, 2019 at 09:01 PM.
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2019, 01:07 AM   #242
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4836

Quote:
I was under the impression Shelby was still a prominent figure in gangland Birmingham in the sixties.

No. Tommy Shelby is a fictional figure in the programme. The Blinders were finished by 1910. Other gangs called the Birmingham Boys and the Brummagem Boys became the main gangs in the 20s and 30s.

Birmingham's most notorious gangsters in the 60s were the Fewtrell family.
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2019, 11:26 AM   #243
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 885

In the Accidental Gangster isn't it Tommy Shelby who leads the Krays to the Fewtrells?
BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2019, 02:56 PM   #244
RalphGuy

Quote:
In the Accidental Gangster isn't it Tommy Shelby who leads the Krays to the Fewtrells?

The book?

I have no idea Jim. Maybe somebody could clear this up. Perhaps this is where Steven Knight got the name from.

Is there potential for a film of The Accidental Gangster I wonder?

BhamJim liked this post
Old September 25th, 2019, 03:46 PM   #245
BhamJim

Yes. It's a good book particularly for those from, or with an interest in Brum, and it's surrounding area. I assumed most on here would have read it.

I did google it to see if there was a quick answer to Shelby being mentioned (I'm sure he was) and that search does bring up rumours of a film or tv series, with Knight involved.

RalphGuy liked this post
Old September 25th, 2019, 04:09 PM   #246
RalphGuy

Quote:
Yes. It's a good book particularly for those from, or with an interest in Brum, and it's surrounding area. I assumed most on here would have read it.

I did google it to see if there was a quick answer to Shelby being mentioned (I'm sure he was) and that search does bring up rumours of a film or tv series, with Knight involved.

That would be fantastic. I hope it isn't just rumour.
Old September 25th, 2019, 07:10 PM   #247
ComPurch

Likes (Received): 837

Knight has just done a half-hour Media Show on Radio 4.

Excellent listening, and...said proposed studio is "Central Birmingham" with negotiations ongoing for "Listed Buildings."

I reckon Digbeth.
Old September 26th, 2019, 07:01 AM   #248
Astonian

Likes (Received): 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Quote:

No. Tommy Shelby is a fictional figure in the programme. The Blinders were finished by 1910. Other gangs called the Birmingham Boys and the Brummagem Boys became the main gangs in the 20s and 30s.

Birmingham's most notorious gangsters in the 60s were the Fewtrell family.
The Fewtrells weren’t really gangsters, more businessmen who didn’t take kindly to gangsters trying to offer them ‘protection’. Nightclub owner Eddie (Rebecca’s, Pollyanna’s) was approached by the Krays, and turned down their offer of protection on the grounds that he had 7 or 8 brothers and didn’t need their ‘help’. They sent a gunman to make another ‘offer’, Eddie wrestled with him and the gun went off and shot the Londoner in the ear. Hence ‘accidental’. The Krays sent a firm up on the train to settle it, but they were met on arrival and the battle of Snow Hill ensued, with the Brummies (the Fewtrells were, like Billy Kimber, from Aston), victorious. One of the gang, Sean Mahoney, was still drinking in the Woodman until fairly recently ( I last saw him about 15 years ago).

I think it could be a great film.

RalphGuy liked this post

Last edited by Astonian; September 26th, 2019 at 08:39 AM.
Astonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 07:05 AM   #249
Astonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Quote:
Peaky Blinders were a gang in 1890’s. They pretty much died by 1930. It’s said that they were mainly teenagers and early 20yr olds. So Tommy if real must have lived a very long life.

Whether there were other Shelby’s is a different matter. In any case, non of the gang had the name Shelby apparently.
The Shelby name was arrived at by combining the names of two real Small Heath families, the Sheldons and (I think) the Granbys (it was something ending in ‘by’ anyway).

The actual story in the first series, when it was more of a representation of reality, was based on the exploits of the ‘Brummagem boys’ or ‘mob’, the racecourse gang led by Billy Kimber from Aston, who was England’s most notorious gangster. His rivals really were the Sabrini family, who shot him, but not fatally. He fled to the US to escape arrest where, legend has it, Al Capone looked after him. He eventually returned to England and saw out his days on the south coast.

RalphGuy liked this post

Last edited by Astonian; September 26th, 2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old September 26th, 2019, 02:17 PM   #250
BhamJim

The Fewtrells had been involved in bribery and violence long before the Krays came calling.
That said they made Birmingham a good night out and their establishments were almost always 'trouble free.'

RalphGuy liked this post
Old September 27th, 2019, 01:40 AM   #251
Astonian

Quote:
The Fewtrells had been involved in bribery and violence long before the Krays came calling.
That said they made Birmingham a good night out and their establishments were almost always 'trouble free.'
Indeed. When I was a yute with no job I was in Pollyanna’s til the death several nights a week. Weekends were for going north though, to Northern Soul all-nighters.

BhamJim liked this post
Old September 29th, 2019, 12:49 AM   #252
Hasaandoo

Likes (Received): 1698

Peaky Blinders Appreciation Thread

Found up north, culture vultures you could sayIMG_0312.JPG

RalphGuy, Kingsheathen liked this post
Hasaandoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2019, 02:54 AM   #253
RalphGuy

Where is Peaky Blinders filmed? (This isn't just one of those standard 'Where is it filmed?' articles - it's worth a read)

www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-09-29/where-is-peaky-blinders-filmed/
Old October 2nd, 2019, 05:15 PM   #254
RalphGuy

Why Peaky Blinders has struck a chord around the world (PB is about to start on Netflix).

www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/television/why-peaky-blinders-has-struck-a-chord-around-the-world-1.918059

According to the article, visitors to Birmingham have increased by 26% since the first series and this increase is mainly down to tourists from the US.

sefton66, Kingsheathen liked this post
Old October 3rd, 2019, 03:13 AM   #255
Hasaandoo

https://www.reddit.com/r/PeakyBlinde...tm_name=iossmf

RalphGuy liked this post
Old October 6th, 2019, 12:55 PM   #256
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8031

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Why Peaky Blinders has struck a chord around the world (PB is about to start on Netflix).

www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/television/why-peaky-blinders-has-struck-a-chord-around-the-world-1.918059

According to the article, visitors to Birmingham have increased by 26% since the first series and this increase is mainly down to tourists from the US.
More US flights for BHX please! There is plenty of interest with Shakespeare/Stratford nearby too I’d have thought

Kingsheathen liked this post
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 06:05 AM   #257
RalphGuy

BBC reveals huge streaming figures for 'Peaky Blinders' and 'Killing Eve'.

www.deadline.com/2019/10/peaky-blinders-killing-eve-bbc-reveals-iplayer-data-1202754496/

All five series of Peaky Blinders have racked up 42 million views (no misprint) on BBC iPlayer since July of this year.

ComPurch, Kingsheathen liked this post
Old October 14th, 2019, 03:15 AM   #258
Hasaandoo

Steven knight may be thinking of doing a movie after season seven according to this video

https://youtu.be/0yVOYtJLeRY

RalphGuy liked this post
Old October 14th, 2019, 03:41 PM   #259
RalphGuy

The idea of a film has been mooted for a couple of years now but the talk about it is growing with each series.

If the show is still riding high when the last series finishes, I think it could work.
Old October 14th, 2019, 04:08 PM   #260
jonfsnow

Likes (Received): 1792

One would hope that a film would be filmed at Mercian Studios - if this is the case it should give us a timeframe for getting the project established.

RalphGuy liked this post
jonfsnow está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement