Bloc Hotel | Hill Street | 22fl | 74m | Appr. - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2016, 02:24 AM   #101
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2194

Love this new proposal.
Shame the scheme can't incorporate the eyesore car park/storage facility to the side and behind.
Past proposals incorporated the whole site, one (probably over 10 years ago now)was again a large hotel, but with a massive interior atrium with restaurants around it rising over several floors, it was a gem, but alas never saw the light of day.
I thought Gallan owned all the land around George House, maybe not.
All that said it makes a real statement as you come down the Spanish steps...get building chaps.
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2016, 09:43 AM   #102
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPeeDee View Post
Correct djay.

Back to topic, I do agree with you ref sterilising the adjacent site. A case of get in there first then no one can build next door. In your opinion, could this lead the the adjacent site being left vacant for the foreseeable? What are the options for development?
My guess would be that we won't be seeing residential on the site next door. In terms of length, it depends how long it takes them to get a viable proposal.

It will probably be another leisure use that has a transient nature if Bloc get consent. I'd guess it would be a hotel.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 08:38 PM   #103
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17683

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Are they the same company? I didn't think that hotel was owned by the same company building/operating the same branded hotel at Arena Central. I know they own the Crown Plaza next already at Arena Central.

Anything made of concrete is hated on this forum.
Anything made of concrete that goes a horrible dirty grey colour and makes the city look like something from the soviet era is hated on this forum.

DBadger liked this post
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2016, 10:12 PM   #104
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
Anything made of concrete that goes a horrible dirty grey colour and makes the city look like something from the soviet era is hated on this forum.
Don't forget the dirty 1970s brown brick too. Hill street monstrosity and broadway are the worst culprits.
BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 10:36 PM   #105
Greenplaces

Likes (Received): 285

Djay, you being someone who works amongst the development community, may I first thank you for many of you well informed posts. Someone like me respects your insightful posts.

That does not mean I can't disagree with you. Used respectfully, concrete is a beautiful material whether employed in internally or externally. Some of the most famous, most beautiful and oldest buildings in the world were constructed from a form of concrete. The Pantheon being one such example.

Even the new Library of Birmingham uses exposed concrete pillars, and to me at least they look beautiful. Another ready example is BBC's London News Studios and those huge concrete supports in the background behind the newsreaders.

I also love blue grey concrete modern interiors used respectfully. Respect is to my mind the operative word. Brutalism unfairly gave concrete a very bad reputation. To some of us who never got to see the old buildings, three very beautiful buildings were demolished to make way for the old Central Library. I despair at that fact and to me personally it was an act of vandalism to lose those three buildings and deface and hide part of the BMAG.

That for me at least is why concrete can have an appalling reputation. I used to hate concrete until I came to know something of its history and how it can be beautifully employed both in historic buildings and contemporary buildings inside and out.

It is therefore unfair to judge this forum as loathing concrete, some may others mostly certainly do not.

And by the way... I would love to see the Bloc proposal built. I also love their blue brick building in the JQ.

(Again, thanks Djay for your insightful posts.)

Last edited by Greenplaces; June 8th, 2016 at 10:43 PM.
Greenplaces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 11:19 PM   #106
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4505

so .... what you saying Greenplaces .... do you like concrete or not?

My birdbath in my garden is made of concrete, it is fashioned in the shape of a tree trunk with a squirrel half way up the stem. I like it .... would probably have looked slightly better in Cotswold stone though..... but probably more expensive!
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 11:31 PM   #107
Rwnbiad

Likes (Received): 184

How about the concrete at Dudley Zoo? Good or bad concrete?
Rwnbiad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 01:39 AM   #108
Greenplaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
so .... what you saying Greenplaces .... do you like concrete or not?

My birdbath in my garden is made of concrete, it is fashioned in the shape of a tree trunk with a squirrel half way up the stem. I like it .... would probably have looked slightly better in Cotswold stone though..... but probably more expensive!
Hate the stuff (some reasons below). Don't you hate it Sandblast, well do ya?

The Pantheon (128 AD)

Sydney Opera House (1973)

Aqua Tower, Chicago (2009)

Sandblast liked this post
Old June 9th, 2016, 02:08 AM   #109
djay
The promised land

I totally agree with you Greenplaces. I was 100% generalising when i made that comment lol.

Old June 10th, 2016, 01:06 AM   #110
Sandblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenplaces View Post
Hate the stuff (some reasons below). Don't you hate it Sandblast, well do ya?

The Pantheon (128 AD)

Sydney Opera House (1973)

Aqua Tower, Chicago (2009)
Concrete can be 'polished' though, Greenplaces .....

.... the Colmore Gate office building in central Birmingham is constructed from polished concrete. I think it looks great.
Old June 10th, 2016, 01:11 AM   #111
Phillwop
PG

Likes (Received): 168

I love this proposal, it is simple, conical, and just what the area needs when the other proposals sound the area don't seem to be materialising.
Phillwop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 02:09 AM   #112
Astonian

Likes (Received): 1111

I'm a complete layman/amateur and I think Colmore Gate looks great too. I've hardly seen it mentioned on here, just assumed it wasn't very popular or 'rated',

Greenplaces liked this post
Astonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 12:52 PM   #113
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 2023

Some on here would like it knocking down along with the building to the left on the shot and the Wesleyan behind the photographer, because they are all pastiche.
Old June 10th, 2016, 01:26 PM   #114
Greenplaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
Concrete can be 'polished' though, Greenplaces .....

.... the Colmore Gate office building in central Birmingham is constructed from polished concrete. I think it looks great.
I'm sure you know from my post #105 that I was being sarcastic when I said I hate the stuff in post #108. Each of the buildings in the images I posted I love. It shows the versatility of concrete and the beautiful buildings that can be created with it.

Anyways, I love that last image you posted, it has been posted before. I never get bored of looking at Colmore Gate. And the image, particularly because of Colmore Row in the immediate background and because of the more distant background, has a Parisian/London feel to it.

Never knew it was clad in polished concrete though. I'll be taking a keener look next time I'm walking past that way.

Last edited by Greenplaces; June 10th, 2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old June 10th, 2016, 02:32 PM   #115
markmcd1976

Likes (Received): 555

It's a pity it's not 10-20 stories taller! It's a great late 80s early 90s building.
markmcd1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 09:24 PM   #116
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcd1976 View Post
It's a pity it's not 10-20 stories taller! It's a great late 80s early 90s building.
The continual paradox of SSC. lol

Old June 11th, 2016, 12:51 AM   #117
Sandblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcd1976 View Post
I think if is one of the classiest looking office buildings outside the Capital .... and 26 years old too!

Brum X, DBadger liked this post
Old June 11th, 2016, 12:54 AM   #118
Sandblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenplaces View Post

Never knew it was clad in polished concrete though. I'll be taking a keener look next time I'm walking past that way.
Well, other than the glazing, the rest of it is polished concrete. It was me that posted it in the past.
Old June 11th, 2016, 01:57 AM   #119
rotundazag

Likes (Received): 1208

Great to here the positive vibes for Colmore Gate - often forgotten - I'm a fan - as for the Bloc Hotel - bring it on! I think it will look superb - just what we need at that entrance from New St
rotundazag está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2016, 06:27 PM   #120
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5888

I have nothing against polished concrete. But those others aren't polished concrete. If Colmore Gate was clad in the grey stuff that leaves water stains and makes it look like the wall behind a public urinal, I'd hate it too.

Colmore Gate is the best building in Brum.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement