Birmingham 2022 | Commonwealth Games - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #81
k5villan

Likes (Received): 1797

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCountryAl View Post
It worked for Man City. Their stadium is one of the many reasons they were chosen over the likes of Liverpool or Tottenham.
you'd do well to convince me that city werent chosen because of utd

the worldwide marketing was done instantly, noisy neighbours, welcome to manchester etc they used utd's global popularity as a spring board

Rijowhite, djay, Dying Duck liked this post
k5villan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2017, 11:12 PM   #82
Victorian

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPeeDee View Post
It's disappointing that after the recent Commonwealth Games in Manchester and the Olympics in London - both receiving nice new stadiums, velodromes and aquatic facilities amongst others - that any games held in Birmingham would be done on the cheap.
I am not too excited about Birmingham hosting the Commonwealth Games. In my humble opinion, only if the city inherits new state-of-the-art facilities (not old structures patched up for the Games) is there any point in bidding for this event. The Commonwealth Games are barely noticed in the wider world. For example, in addition to the Commonwealth Games, Canada participates in the bigger and more important Pan-American Games, and the Francophone Games, as well as the Olympics of course. Thus the Commonwealth Games is a fairly low-key event on Canada’s sporting calendar and of the four multi-sport ‘Games’ it is involved in, only the Olympics leave a lasting impression. Moreover, the Commonwealth Games are virtually unknown in the USA, China, Russia, the rest of Europe (except for minnows like Malta and Gibraltar) and South America. It is hardly a significant world-wide event.

The city where I live hosted the Commonwealth Games in 1994. Certainly there was lots of buzz around town for those two weeks and we were told that Victoria was being exposed to an enormous national and world audience. In practice, however, I found many people in Britain were barely aware of the Games having been held here – and many local people soon realized that, in reality, the international exposure was minimal. But it was worth it because the main legacy was a superb aquatic centre with a 50 m, 8-lane pool, a diving pool, and a recreational pool with slides and wave-making that would never have been built otherwise. In addition, the University gained student accommodation when the purpose-built athletes’ village was handed over.

Birmingham needs an equivalent aquatic centre; what happened to the proposal a few years ago to build such a complex on St. Vincent Street behind the Arena? Birmingham also needs a proper multi-purpose stadium, preferably close to the city centre (similar to Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium). Villa Park is an old-fashioned, British football ground which has been developed piecemeal – 4 different stands, one on each side of the ground. Architecturally it’s a bit of a mess because it was never designed as a complete unit such as The Stadium of Light, The Emirates, The Etiad, Twickenham, Cardiff etc. The same criticism applies to Alexander Stadium. It’s fine as the HQ of UK Athletics, but is not suitable as the centerpiece of a Commonwealth Games bid. Most “world class” cities boast an iconic stadium and surely there is an untapped role for a properly designed modern stadium in a city the size of Birmingham. A new home for the Blues perhaps, or the Baggies (and before some Black Country fans rush to point out that West Bromwich is not in Birmingham, remember that other stadiums have been built outside the boundaries of the town that the club’s name bears, Old Trafford being one of them, and anyway the Hawthorns is virtually in Birmingham already).

Unless Birmingham can secure funding for one but preferably both of these major infrastructure requirements – an aquatic complex and a stadium – I really wonder whether bidding for the Commonwealth Games is worthwhile. Doing it “on the cheap” would not only be “disappointing” but pointless as well in my opinion.

JayPeeDee, Brum Boy liked this post
Victorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 12:10 AM   #83
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum Boy View Post
I think the Alexander Stadium is a terrible location. I understand it would be the easiest and cheapest option. But for me it is an uninspiring location and would have such a negative effect on how the city is showcased to the world.
I don't understand this point of view, Alexander is in the middle of a park with a river right next to it... I'm not sure how that is uninspiring.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

hoody liked this post
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2017, 12:23 AM   #84
k5villan

Strange you mention Canada and the pan am games, was there in 2015, they didnt build world class sporting venues

The athletics was done at a new 3k seater stadium at the university

The swimming was done at a new 6k seater centre at the university (which is what I think has happened to brums 50m pool, they built one in sellyoak)

They used Toronto FCs 30k stadium for rugby

They used the Toronto Marlies 7k stadium for gymnastics

They used another 5k ice hockey stadium for judo etc

They used the existing rogers centre for the ceremonies

The majority of the money was spent on the athletes village which was then converted to other uses afterwards

So in other words their pan am bid sounds near identical to what birminghams commonwealth games bid will be

Old February 28th, 2017, 04:18 AM   #85
dcsmithers

Likes (Received): 489

As far as I can see the only new facility that Birmingham really needs to build is an aquatics centre. Alexander Stadium can be supplemented with temporary facilities for the athletics competitions (including a warm-up track) and either Villa Park or St Andrews (with a lot of overlay) can host the ceremonies and rugby sevens. (Sevens could also be at the Molineux to share the event.) Derby Arena is big enough for track cycling, and would probably be the most distant venue. (A cycle road race between the two through Derbyshire would be interesting.) Gymnastics at the Barclaycard Arena, with weightlifting, judo and taekwondo in the ICC. Cricket, squash and bowls at Edgbaston. The really hard part is avoiding putting all other indoor sports at the NEC (Boxing at Wolves Civic, perhaps)?

djay, cyril sneer liked this post
dcsmithers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 01:57 PM   #86
Brum Boy

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
I don't understand this point of view, Alexander is in the middle of a park with a river right next to it... I'm not sure how that is uninspiring.
Let me explain why I said that.

Put simply it’s about location, location, location.

Walking distance from Victoria Square, Birmingham City Centre (source Google maps).

1. St Andrews = 1.8 miles (37mins)
2. Edgbaston = 2.3 miles (45 mins)
3. Villa Park = 2.8 miles (55 mins)
4. Hawthorns = 3.7 miles (1hr 15mins)
5. Alexander Stadium = 4.0 miles (1hr 18mins)

For me the main sporting arena for the games needs to be within the city centre boundary (ring road) or as a minimum within a realistic walking distance. Perry Barr is just too far out.

Birmingham city centre is currently undergoing a huge amount of investment and regeneration. By 2026 I’m sure will be ranked as top European tourist destination with all the excitement and buzz that goes with that. Let’s take stock and showcase the best parts of our great city instead of using the games as a catalyst to drive future regeneration around Perry Barr. This would never happen.
Brum Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 02:06 PM   #87
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 473

I see what you're saying but walking distance is not going to come into it. People aren't going to walk half the way to St. Andrews which is why transport has to feature heavily in any bid. With this in mind we should use the opportunity to project outwards.

Also the city centre is going to have difficulty in accommodating all the potential visitors which do not come from a central point. People will come to the city from all directions...Mostly out of the centre I.e. the suburbs and outlying towns/cities.
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 02:09 PM   #88
Brum Boy

I know it’s selfish but I would also cluster the Venues in the following locations:-

• Birmingham City Centre
• University of Birmingham / Edgbaston
• NEC
Old February 28th, 2017, 02:28 PM   #89
Brum Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody View Post
Also the city centre is going to have difficulty in accommodating all the potential visitors which do not come from a central point. People will come to the city from all directions...Mostly out of the centre I.e. the suburbs and outlying towns/cities.
That’s my whole point.

I want people to set foot in the city centre rather than passing through or arriving directly at an out of town venue. How will they know what a great place central Brum is if they don’t visit?

Birmingham is easily big enough to cope with such numbers and has a history of holding multiple simultaneous large events in the past. I have full confidence in our ability to do so again in 2026.
Old February 28th, 2017, 02:58 PM   #90
k5villan

how many cities have city centre stadiums?

what brum will have to do instead is temporary displays and zones in the centre, victoria and centenary squares etc plus have an understanding on how events work, athletics and swimming and tbf most of the commonwealth games will be sold in sessions, morning or afternoon, if people are coming from abroad to do the afternoon session then the city and games organisers have to do something that gets them in the centre and make a full day out of it

agree with hoody, transport will come in to the bid, get people in to the centre, out to the venues then back in and home, went to lyon in the summer for the euros they had a brilliant system for it

if other events organisers have anything about them then they'll have music and food festivals going on at the same time

djay, Rijowhite liked this post
Old February 28th, 2017, 03:58 PM   #91
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum Boy View Post
Let me explain why I said that.

Put simply it’s about location, location, location.

Walking distance from Victoria Square, Birmingham City Centre (source Google maps).

1. St Andrews = 1.8 miles (37mins)
2. Edgbaston = 2.3 miles (45 mins)
3. Villa Park = 2.8 miles (55 mins)
4. Hawthorns = 3.7 miles (1hr 15mins)
5. Alexander Stadium = 4.0 miles (1hr 18mins)

For me the main sporting arena for the games needs to be within the city centre boundary (ring road) or as a minimum within a realistic walking distance. Perry Barr is just too far out.

Birmingham city centre is currently undergoing a huge amount of investment and regeneration. By 2026 I’m sure will be ranked as top European tourist destination with all the excitement and buzz that goes with that. Let’s take stock and showcase the best parts of our great city instead of using the games as a catalyst to drive future regeneration around Perry Barr. This would never happen.
Ok fine, it is far out but as said, walking distance is i bit of a silly measure, if that was important, then the London Olympics would have failed at 5miles from central London.

I also do not think any bid which does not include regeneration will be supported by the Government tbh.

hoody, Rijowhite liked this post
Old February 28th, 2017, 05:38 PM   #92
Brum Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Ok fine, it is far out but as said, walking distance is i bit of a silly measure, if that was important, then the London Olympics would have failed at 5miles from central London.

I also do not think any bid which does not include regeneration will be supported by the Government tbh.
It’s an interesting fact that the final bill for the London Olympics and Paralympics was nearly 9 billion. We all have shared interest in wanting Brum to do well but how can we compete on that scale.

How about supporting a bid to underpin existing and encourage further private investment in the regeneration areas of the city centre boundary? Wasn’t it the UK Government that suggested we should bid for it in the first place?
Old February 28th, 2017, 06:03 PM   #93
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

We can't. Those were the Olympics, the greatest show on Earth.

These are the Commonwealth Games.

A smaller but still sizeable event and we should absolutely give it a damn good go.
Old February 28th, 2017, 07:59 PM   #94
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4815

Just been a sports article on the BBC 24 hour news channel saying that Liverpool may step in to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games and I think they said that Durban might not host one at all.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 08:10 PM   #95
Victorian

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5villan View Post
Strange you mention Canada and the pan am games, was there in 2015, they didnt build world class sporting venues

So in other words their pan am bid sounds near identical to what birminghams commonwealth games bid will be

I beg to differ. The principal new-build for the Pan Am Games was the Aquatics Centre and Field House comprising two 50 m, 10 lane pools, diving tank and seating for 6,000 spectators plus a field house with gymnasiums, an indoor track, climbing wall and seating for 2000, all built to international standards for competitive meets. If that isn’t a world-class sporting venue, I don’t know what is. The still-to-be-opened 50 m pool at Birmingham University is a good training facility but doesn’t meet the requirements for major international competitions and is in no way comparable with Toronto’s Aquatics Centre.

Otherwise, Toronto already had world-class venues. The Rogers Centre you refer to is a 60,000-seat multi-purpose stadium with a retractable roof. The Air Canada Centre is a 20,000-seat indoor arena for ice-hockey and basketball.

Unfortunately, apart from Edgbaston and the Indoor Arena, Birmingham is lacking sporting facilities of international standard which is why I think a bid for the Commonwealth Games should be conditional on funding for a state-of-the art stadium and an aquatics centre. The prestige value of hosting the event is short-lived and minimal; it's the legacy that counts.

Last edited by Victorian; March 1st, 2017 at 12:16 AM.
Victorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 08:47 PM   #96
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Just been a sports article on the BBC 24 hour news channel saying that Liverpool may step in to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games and I think they said that Durban might not host one at all.
That's bold.

This is probably my ignorance speaking here but what facilities have they got?

They've got one good football stadium, one in need of redevelopment, a race course, the Echo Arena a few halls capable of smaller events.

Velodrome, athletics and swimming I'm not sure they have anything. I'd say they'd be boring off more than then can chew....But good luck to them.
Old February 28th, 2017, 09:01 PM   #97
Rijowhite

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody View Post
That's bold.

This is probably my ignorance speaking here but what facilities have they got?

They've got one good football stadium, one in need of redevelopment, a race course, the Echo Arena a few halls capable of smaller events.

Velodrome, athletics and swimming I'm not sure they have anything. I'd say they'd be boring off more than then can chew....But good luck to them.
If Liverpool step in to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games then we can safely say that Birmingham has no chance of hosting it in 2026. So bad luck to them on this issue (I really liked Liverpool btw when I went up last year, it's just I want Brum to stand a chance).

* If Liverpool won a 2026 bid though, then fair play and good luck to them.
Rijowhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 09:33 PM   #98
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 2022

This is all going to plan don't you see?? Only 3 areas in the UK are worth talking about when it comes to media / sport (football that means) / music / culture etc - London, the NW of England and Glasgow. So that's sewn up then - Liverpool it will be.
Old February 28th, 2017, 09:42 PM   #99
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
I did say this a couple of pages ago. If that happens it's a no go for Birmingham in 2026 as RJ said.

Last edited by djay; February 28th, 2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old February 28th, 2017, 10:05 PM   #100
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

So would we come in once the April feasibility study is in. Or are CWG going to meet before then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement