Media Midlands - Page 314 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2019, 09:20 AM   #6261
leonigmig

Likes (Received): 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
surely he is on a salary/wage and would get a bonus rather than being paid per click?

Yeah sure, how does that make any difference though? The point is he’s almost certainly incentivised on clicks
leonigmig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2019, 11:14 AM   #6262
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2704

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonigmig View Post
Yeah sure, how does that make any difference though? The point is he’s almost certainly incentivised on clicks
Well if he is on a salary then pay per click won’t be an incentive. It almost certainly will be for the paper at large though and makes a difference to where you apportion blame.

From reading his Twitter, it just seems he is an angry man.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2019, 12:34 PM   #6263
leonigmig

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Well if he is on a salary then pay per click won’t be an incentive. It almost certainly will be for the paper at large though and makes a difference to where you apportion blame.

From reading his Twitter, it just seems he is an angry man.

This reminds me of when you debated me that Manchester doesn’t benefit economically from its football teams

I’m pretty sure bonuses / pay rises / promotion at Reach is about clicks. I’m completely fine with you believing something else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2019, 01:16 PM   #6264
daj

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
And how about him actually using his position and journalistic skills to help educate people instead of just telling them what they want to hear?
Below is an example of Graham Young's journaistic skills from last year when the Birmingham Post still existed. Given that C4 was looking for diversity in the city to be chosen for its new centre, Birmingham's diversity was ignored. The website that published the article is I Am Birmingham

"Outrage as Birmingham Post list of diverse city creatives only features white men.

A Birmingham Post article attempting to highlight the diversity of creative talent in the city, to emphasise its appeal for national broadcaster Channel 4, has come under fire for compiling a list completely made up of white men.

Yes, we shit you not, in a bid to genuinely showcase “creative leaders” across Brum as an additional lure for the state-backed broadcast giant – which has been ordered by the Government to move out of London or face legislation forcing it to do so – regular media and arts writer Graham Young compiled a list of filmmakers, animators and artists who just ‘happened to be’ white, male and devoid of any women, people of colour or anyone under 30.

Cue backlash".

jonfsnow liked this post
daj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2019, 01:24 PM   #6265
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2704

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonigmig View Post
This reminds me of when you debated me that Manchester doesn’t benefit economically from its football teams

I’m pretty sure bonuses / pay rises / promotion at Reach is about clicks. I’m completely fine with you believing something else
I didn’t debate that at all. Just shows you misinterpreted my point completely.

And if you notice, I actually asked a question because I wanted to find out more. So wind your neck in lad.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2019, 02:45 PM   #6266
leonigmig

djay I don't even know what this is about. its not a case of me winding my neck in at all.
Old October 12th, 2019, 09:50 PM   #6267
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 2019

Graham Young historically has been the tv and arts correspondent for the Mail - he's from Blackburn and he's been in Brum for longer than most of you so I wouldn't shout him down so quickly. Yes he's outspoken but only because he truly is passionate about Brum and loves living here. I agree with some of his points and I suppose it is true that no single department of the Central Library was underground - maybe the children's and musical sections should have been put up the top of LoB instead?
Old October 13th, 2019, 12:26 AM   #6268
daj

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
Graham Young historically has been the tv and arts correspondent for the Mail - he's from Blackburn and he's been in Brum for longer than most of you so I wouldn't shout him down so quickly. Yes he's outspoken but only because he truly is passionate about Brum and loves living here. I agree with some of his points and I suppose it is true that no single department of the Central Library was underground - maybe the children's and musical sections should have been put up the top of LoB instead?
Passionate to the point of not helping the cities reputation.

In response to the article I highlighted above, the Post replied:

"Responding to the complaints, West Midlands Trinity Mirror Regionals editor-in-chief Marc Reeves said:

This was a clumsy oversight and it’s right that we’ve been called out on this. We put out a call for comments and used all that came back. But we failed to stand back to see if what we had was a fair representation of Brum – and it clearly wasn’t. We must and will do better.”

I hope C4 didn't see the article. It certainly wouldn't have helped the cause of the bid.

jonfsnow, Hasaandoo liked this post
daj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 04:04 PM   #6269
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

All of us are critical of aspects of our city - each to their own I suppose.

Athletics front page on the BBC Sport website - not a single mention of Brum's Half Marathon - imagine the other city half marathon's being ignored....
Old October 13th, 2019, 05:11 PM   #6270
jonfsnow

Likes (Received): 1787

True but we typically we don't call for the closure of an iconic publicly funded resource that's helped change the city's reputation just because tourist figures have taken a temporary dip on account of the building being surrounded by building work for the last 18 months.

Kingsheathen liked this post
jonfsnow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 11:56 PM   #6271
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8018

Celebrity hunted on channel 4 were filming inside New St Station today
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2019, 11:47 PM   #6272
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4806

www.ing-media.com/features/the-uks-globally-competitive-smaller-cities

ING's new rankings reveal the most talked about UK cities.

Birmingham ranks 4th overall but when it comes to mentions per capita, it only ranks 17th.

Kingsheathen liked this post
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2019, 12:11 AM   #6273
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

one word for the 2nd and 3rd placings.....football.

Sidcow liked this post
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2019, 12:01 PM   #6274
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 496

Quote:
one word for the 2nd and 3rd placings.....football.
Obvious isn't it. I'd be interesting to see what the effect would be if they'd included the words Chelsea & Arsenal and where they'd sit in that table.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2019, 12:45 PM   #6275
JBGee

Likes (Received): 2428

The article does say it limits the football references to 25% of total mentions for each city...

But I’m not entirely sure how that’s possible without reading the context of every single tweet, Comment on a forum, article etc.

In addition, Mcr United and Mcr City are just referred to as ‘United’ & ‘City’ in my world, just an example. So how you’d create an algorithm to work it all out I’ve no idea.
JBGee está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 12:29 AM   #6276
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

I hate it when pundits and commentators just say city and united especially when they're playing teams with the same secondary name like Leicester and west ham - it belittles them. It's all this big 6 nonsense that's causing it as if other teams just make up the numbers.
Old October 21st, 2019, 12:38 AM   #6277
Rijowhi
@rijowhi on Twitter

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
I hate it when pundits and commentators just say city and united especially when they're playing teams with the same secondary name like Leicester and west ham - it belittles them. It's all this big 6 nonsense that's causing it as if other teams just make up the numbers.

You got it wrong it’s Citeh and United. :-). Whether we like it or not the top 6 clubs are the top clubs these days therefore more people know these clubs. Therefore they get first dibs on their nicknames...However I don’t feel all is lost for our area, we have Aston VILLA who could (and indeed have been known) by just the second part of their name. Same with WOLVES (Wolverhampton Wanderers). We just need our clubs to kick on.
Rijowhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 10:18 PM   #6278
Razmus dazmussen

Likes (Received): 157

Most definitely with solihull Moor leading the charge, we will all be saying "good win for the moor's on Saturday against man city"😊

1874, Rijowhi, BhamJim liked this post
Razmus dazmussen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 11:23 AM   #6279
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijowhi View Post
You got it wrong it’s Citeh and United. :-). Whether we like it or not the top 6 clubs are the top clubs these days therefore more people know these clubs. Therefore they get first dibs on their nicknames...However I don’t feel all is lost for our area, we have Aston VILLA who could (and indeed have been known) by just the second part of their name. Same with WOLVES (Wolverhampton Wanderers). We just need our clubs to kick on.
To be fair I’ve hear birmingham city called the blues when referred to and West Brom as the baggies too

RalphGuy liked this post
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 01:09 AM   #6280
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

We are the original Blues - founded before Chelsea and Everton (but not Rangers.....doh!)

Hasaandoo liked this post
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
media