JEDDAH | Jeddah Tower | 1000m+ | 3281ft+ | 167 fl | On Hold - Page 932 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 6th, 2019, 09:34 PM   #18621
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Likes (Received): 3229

Muster all of their construction might and finish the interior, then they can claim to have built the most isolated skyscraper in the world. Camel caravans from all over the world would stop here to pay their respects . . . ahem, I think there would be tourists willing to drive through miles of nothingness to see a gigantic black skyscraper in the desert.

Shenkey, ash7, patrick_best liked this post
A Chicagoan no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2019, 09:37 PM   #18622
2G2R

Likes (Received): 149

What to do? D Y N A M I TE !
2G2R no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2019, 10:11 PM   #18623
Lincolnlover2005

Likes (Received): 155

So, apparently the guy who still owns this thing said that construction will ramp up in the future. Sure, and One World Trade Center is taller than the Central Park Tower

https://www.enr.com/articles/48077-owner-may-ramp-up-construction-of-jeddah-tower-planned-to-be-over-1-km

Bikes, Lisimah liked this post
Lincolnlover2005 no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2019, 11:20 PM   #18624
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 6352

Well, they can do it North Korean style like with Ryugyong Hotel tower and finish it in 20 years.
Bikes no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2019, 07:40 AM   #18625
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 7014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo Flo View Post
This is most likely true but what is going to happen with this concrete skeleton then? I mean, Dubai Creek Tower is just a hole in the ground. I know they have poured a concete slab but it can easily be covered and turned into a park. But this one cannot....
Time will tell
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2019, 10:46 AM   #18626
Neutral!
ESTELI REPUBLIC

Location: ESTELI-Delft-Milan-Roma-BERLIN-NY-CHI-BCN-MAD-BIO-MIAMI-SEA-AMS-SF-LA-Moscu-München-LONDON-PARIS
Likes (Received): 2060

AMAZING!

VISIT
Estelí City - North America

>> New Mall/Hotel >> Streets>> Stadium>> Projects>> Vistas>> Maps
>> Historical
>> Cafes
#1 for Business in Nic. - World Bank
Neutral! no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2019, 11:19 AM   #18627
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 5982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral! View Post
AMAZING!
Quite a superlative to use given the situation. At this point, the tower is an abandoned, half-finished husk sitting alone on a wide, flat, dusty expanse of nothingness far out in the suburbs of Jeddah, likely to remain in that state for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't quite bring out the all caps right now.

balcaniq, GrooveBox, Mesch, Richter71 liked this post
Kyll.Ing. no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2019, 11:42 AM   #18628
Neutral!
ESTELI REPUBLIC

Location: ESTELI-Delft-Milan-Roma-BERLIN-NY-CHI-BCN-MAD-BIO-MIAMI-SEA-AMS-SF-LA-Moscu-München-LONDON-PARIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyll.Ing. View Post
Quite a superlative to use given the situation. At this point, the tower is an abandoned, half-finished husk sitting alone on a wide, flat, dusty expanse of nothingness far out in the suburbs of Jeddah, likely to remain in that state for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't quite bring out the all caps right now.
Why is the thread active? I was just trying to not have the section dominated by SPAM.

VISIT

>> Historical
>> Cafes
Old November 7th, 2019, 12:04 PM   #18629
eibomz
Registered Frankfurtian

Likes (Received): 12524

Hybris at its very best!

ZZ-II liked this post
eibomz no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2019, 12:07 PM   #18630
Neutral!
ESTELI REPUBLIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by eibomz View Post
Hybris at its very best!
Who's Hybris? Yours or mine?

VISIT

>> Historical
>> Cafes
Old November 7th, 2019, 10:37 PM   #18631
Architecture Dream17

Likes (Received): 0

Think it will ever be finished I have faith plus they never removed the cranes which is a high and very good sign
Architecture Dream17 no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2019, 11:00 PM   #18632
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 437

Hopefully....eventually it'll be finished. Thanks for the clear, and very close photo update Naif!
The-Real-Link no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2019, 12:07 AM   #18633
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Likes (Received): 3229

Quote:
Why is the thread active? I was just trying to not have the section dominated by SPAM.
"AMAZING!" is probably the most irrelevant message on here, so I'm not sure how you were hoping to achieve your goal.

Anyway, I have a feeling construction won't restart anytime in the foreseeable future. So sad . . .

ZZ-II, xing lin liked this post
A Chicagoan no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2019, 12:22 AM   #18634
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 5982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Dream17 View Post
Think it will ever be finished I have faith plus they never removed the cranes which is a high and very good sign
The issue, the way I see it, isn't getting the tower finished. It's getting Kingdom City started. Jeddah Tower is just the centrepiece of a large new urban district development, and it seems to be the only part that has actually begun construction. The entire rest of the site is a giant, flat, desert plain. The nearest road is almost a full kilometer away from the tower, and there is nothing of note anywhere nearby. Maybe the stadium, that's a little under ten kilometers away, but the synergy between the two sites would be next to none. Jeddah's downtown, where all the tourism happens, is 45 minutes away by car.

Without Kingdom City around it, Jeddah Tower is nothing. It cannot function, not even if finished at its current height. Whoever wants to finish Jeddah Tower and actually use it for something would also have to build the City. From scratch. And find tenants not only for Jeddah Tower, but for all the surrounding buildings. While competing with Dubai in the regional market, and Dubai itself is struggling despite having the lead and upper hand in almost every conceivable way.

I think the only way for this tower to be finished as intended is if there happens to appear a market for an entirely new city in Saudi Arabia almost out of nowhere, and the UAE doesn't manage to snatch up that market despite an overwhelmingly more favourable position, and none of the other, numerous district development plans in Saudi Arabia manage to come to fruition, and some developer decides to pick up Kingdom City without modifying it significantly. That's a whole lot of conditions that need to be fulfilled for this tower to even stand a chance. And it wouldn't even get to enjoy the title of the world's tallest tower for long, because Emaar would just start up Dubai Creek Tower again to reclaim the bragging rights.

Best guess: It will stand in its current state for a couple of decades before either being demolished or repurposed as a telecom tower or something.
Old November 8th, 2019, 01:30 AM   #18635
Lincolnlover2005

Likes (Received): 155

Let’s just cap it off and have it serve as a monument; a monument to arrogance, stupidity, and consequences, the Jokeda Tower
Lincolnlover2005 no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2019, 03:10 AM   #18636
Millennium Falcon
Corellian YT-1300

Likes (Received): 603

And I thought the Ryugyong Hotel was a monument to insanity... This admittedly stunning but rather ill-planned Jeddah Tower is worse - like having a grand landmark sitting in the middle of some no-man's land!

Even if I did a Google Maps search of Jeddah Tower and that on-hold complex is actually near a cluster of beach resorts, so it's not as isolated as I thought it was... But too bad the commercial cluster of Jeddah City, where potential tenants for the complex is in abundance, is too far away!
Old November 8th, 2019, 03:57 PM   #18637
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2755

It gives a post apocalyptic view. SA would be better off if they raze it.

Heinrich Harrer liked this post
Shenkey no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2019, 08:44 PM   #18638
Iwa_Kiike

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Chicagoan View Post
Quote:
"AMAZING!" is probably the most irrelevant message on here, so I'm not sure how you were hoping to achieve your goal.

Anyway, I have a feeling construction won't restart anytime in the foreseeable future. So sad . . . [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.skyscrapercity.com/images/smilies/shake.gif[/IMG]
You’re salty. So lame so irrevelant
Iwa_Kiike no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2019, 02:23 AM   #18639
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2577

Clearly, the final height competition is the reason that this one and Dubai Creek Tower are both on hold, especially, after Al Waleed himself said "we can redesign the top and make it taller without ruining the design", he said this months ago during an interview.

So, I say better we close the thread again until construction resumes because I already see so much irrelevant and unworthy blah blah posts.
Old November 9th, 2019, 02:34 AM   #18640
Heinrich Harrer

Likes (Received): 468

They should make it a vertical refugee camp. Thats what is desperately needed in the area.

ollo liked this post
Heinrich Harrer no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest