INNSIDE By Melia Hotel & Travelodge Hotel (former Bridge Court Quayside offices) | Newcastle | Various | U/C - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1962

INNSIDE By Melia Hotel & Travelodge Hotel (former Bridge Court Quayside offices) | Newcastle | Various | U/C

Bridge Court is a fairly new building (finished in 1995/1996) occupied by BT after they re-located from Swan House.

It was built by the "Tyne & Wear Development Corporation" (TWDC) and is shown here (below) in one of their leaflets, when it was still under construction.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; March 7th, 2017 at 02:27 PM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Bridge Court is a fairly new building (finished in 1995/1996) so I imagine it will be around for a while yet . .
Not been along that way in a long time but can someone confirm whether that render actually came to fruition?

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Not been along that way in a long time but can someone confirm whether that render actually came to fruition?

As far as I am aware the photo posted is an actual construction photo, not a render.

Here is another version of it below, from one of the TWDC Annual Report Booklets from the 1990s . .

Here is Bridge Court from the Newcastle City Libraries / City Council PHOTOSTREAM Website . .

image hosted on flickr

SOURCE - http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcast...n/photostream/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:59 PM   #4
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 178

Bridge Court Newcastle Quayside - BT

Thought the place looked a little forlorn as it was almost empty at the time.

Who owns the building?

Is there likely to be any interest in it?

Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Seamaster
BANNED

Likes (Received): 41

I can't see another commercial tenant taking it on. If BT couldn't justify renewing their lease on cost, who else could?

In happier times it would have been a prime site for more bloody flats. I suspect it will be empty for a long time. A hotel eventually?
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 07:19 PM   #6
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
I can't see another commercial tenant taking it on. If BT couldn't justify renewing their lease on cost, who else could?

In happier times it would have been a prime site for more bloody flats. I suspect it will be empty for a long time. A hotel eventually?
Ah, so BT only leased it then? Good luck to the landlord. If a high quality scheme like Welbar took a while to lease out I suspect this will be empty for a while. As you say it could suit a hotel but I think the market in Newcastle is saturated, I can't see an operator taking it on until the current situation stabilises for a while.

It's not the absolute worst building but I just think it's a strange layout with the courtyard, those useless concrete 'pergola' things and the unnecessary break in the building with the glass walkway. The different building materials certainly don't help either, would have been better if it was all stone (or stone cladding) rather than stone, brick and render.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

New Hotel plan for Bridge Court,
sparks concern from existing hotel operators

by Tony Henderson, The Journal, January 7th 2013

PROPOSALS for two more hotels have been tabled for the City Centre, sparking a warning from existing operators that it could lead to a rates war and redundancies. It is expected that hundreds of jobs would be created by bids for 160-bed offices-to-hotel conversions at both the former BT Bridge Court on Newcastle’s Quayside and Baron House near the Central Station.

Ken Ellington, general manager of the Copthorne Hotel on the Quayside, said that more than 1,000 additional rooms have been created by six new hotels built in the last 18 months. “Most of the hotels have struggled significantly with the onset of the new rooms. There are too many rooms at the same time as the economic downturn,” he said.

One of the bids is to turn the 1995 Bridge Court office block next to the Copthorne into a 160-bed hotel with restaurant, bar and conference facilities. With a working title of the 'River View Hotel', the bid to Newcastle City Council has come from HLD (Newcastle) Ltd. The other application is also for a 160-bed hotel on floors two to seven of the Baron House office block which is flanked by Neville Street, Grainger Street and Westgate Road in the City Centre, near Central Station.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz2HHLuVzMq

Old January 15th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 4749

Bridge Court

Planning Application GRANTED CONDITIONALLY

Reference 2012/1554/01/DET
Alternative Reference Not Available
Application Received Mon 26 Nov 2012
Address Bridge Court The Close Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3BA
Proposal Change of use of office building (Class B1) to hotel (Class C1) comprising of 160 bedrooms with ancillary restaurant bar, with associated business conference facilities
Status Granted Conditionally
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk...=ME5ALSBS0DL00

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Seamaster
BANNED

I think we'll see a fairly rapid tarting up of the tired old Copthorne, in that case.
Old January 16th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 3543

Proposed hotel at Bridge Court, Newcastle quayside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Planning Application GRANTED CONDITIONALLY

Reference 2012/1554/01/DET
Alternative Reference Not Available
Application Received Mon 26 Nov 2012
Address Bridge Court The Close Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3BA
Proposal Change of use of office building (Class B1) to hotel (Class C1) comprising of 160 bedrooms with ancillary restaurant bar, with associated business conference facilities
Status Granted Conditionally
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk...=ME5ALSBS0DL00
In case people are not sure which building is to be converted to form the hotel it is this one located on quayside between The Copthorne to the west and The Quayside Bar to the east - my picture from 19/01/12 (hosted on Photobucket)

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #11
Jazmincleo

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
In case people are not sure which building is to be converted to form the hotel it is this one located on quayside between The Copthorne to the west and The Quayside Bar to the east - my picture from 19/01/12 (hosted on Photobucket)
Is that where BT moved to after Swan House
Jazmincleo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #12
Seamaster
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazmincleo View Post
Yes. Bridge Court, as it was known.

Most BT folk in Newcastle are now in the Central Telephone Exchange on Carliol Square.
Old January 16th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazmincleo View Post

Yes it is.

It is a quite interesting building on West Quayside, and there is a fair bit of information about it here on the forum, from its construction through to the current Hotel proposals . . .

Old January 17th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #14
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post

Yes. Bridge Court, as it was known.

Most BT folk in Newcastle are now in the Central Telephone Exchange on Carliol Square.
Did any of them move to the new Shields building? I used to work at BT years ago and 'the shed' at Gosforth Business Park handled retail sales and support and Bridge Court handled business sales and support. I wonder if the whole business operation is at Central Exchange, or if they axed a few?
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #15
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNewcastle View Post
Surely one of the most significant agents for change was the Tyne and Wear Development Corporation, which had devolved authority to manage planning and regeneration there for ten years.

Yes, I agree.

I have quite a few 'planning leaflets' (etc) produced by TWDC, from those days. They contain a lot of 'development' info and photos.

Here is where TWDC used to be based . . .

Old September 26th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #16
Ken O'Heed

Bridge Court, Newcastle Quayside, proposed hotel - status 26/09/13

As covered earlier on this thread with regards planning application etc

These pictures showing signage around full perimeter of building and car park, taken by myself 26/09/13 PM show that work is to be carried out by Russells Construction of Trafford Park, Manchester in very near future, if not already taking place internally

Link to their website http://www.russells-construction.co.uk/index.htm but appears to be nothing on there yet about this scheme

KEN
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #17
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Follow up to post 701 of 26/09/13

Scaffold now in place to eastern area of south elevation of Copthorne Hotel and repair work being carried out at roof eaves, - as can be seen in these pictures taken by myself 24/10/13 PM (hosted on Photobucket)

No sign of any work to the adjoining Bridge Court building

KEN

Once Bridge Court is converted to a Hotel, that will be quite a good "Hotels Area" along that part of the riverside frontage.

Anyone have any information as to who the "Bridge Court" Hotel operator might be?

Both are fairly new/recent buildings, here is Bridge Court being built (nearly complete) in 1996 . . .

Here is the Copthorne Hotel . . .

Above Photos - Scans from my Hard Drive.

Old October 25th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #18
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

I quite like the Copthorne building personally, from the river frontage anyway. I will be glad to see Bridge Court go though. I think it looks very dated and seems to be an awkward layout.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #19
Ken O'Heed

Bridge Court, Newcastle Quayside, proposed hotel - status 14/03/14

Quote:

These pictures showing signage around full perimeter of building and car park, taken by myself 26/09/13 PM show that work is to be carried out by Russells Construction of Trafford Park, Manchester in very near future, if not already taking place internally

Link to their website http://www.russells-construction.co.uk/index.htm but appears to be nothing on there yet about this scheme

KEN
State of play at 14/03/14 nearly 6 months on from the above post, #702 of 26/09/13 remains exactly as shown in the above pictures

No sign of any internal activity in the intervening months as have never seen any contractor vehicles in the numerous times I have walked past the building

KEN
Old June 21st, 2014, 02:08 PM   #20
Ken O'Heed

Bridge Court, Newcastle Quayside, proposed hotel (or will it happen)- status 21/06/14

Quote:

KEN
The above is post #702 on 26/09/14

Today 21/06/14 when passing passing at approx 1030 noted that the "builders signs" are no longer in place so took some pictures

Looks as if this hotel development has been "put on the back burner" or possibly cancelled entirely

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, hotel, hotels, newcastle, newcastle hotels, newcastle quayside, project, project - newcastle area, quayside