Baltimore Development News - Page 2626 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > Baltimore / Washington DC

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2020, 06:00 AM   #52501
micrip

Likes (Received): 1319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino_B View Post
since the entire block with the Garmatz courthouse will likely get redeveloped when a new (much needed) court complex is built, why not put a new arena there.

it would be directly across the street from the convention center which will hopefully get a major rebuild in the near future. couldn't have a more central location with good transportation and parking options. would help rejuvenate the IH as well.
Only problem with that...it could be 20 years or more from now.

The now scuttled Hackerman proposal was by far the best. Some version of that on that site would be awesome!

osfan24 liked this post
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2020, 11:27 AM   #52502
FrankAshihara

Likes (Received): 100

Thanks for reminding me, I took these photos over there last week or so.

IIRC the building in the back is supposed to be an R House type of market?

Last edited by FrankAshihara; January 18th, 2020 at 11:37 AM.
FrankAshihara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 04:32 PM   #52503
vivo
Baltimore/DC Corridorite

Likes (Received): 16

JPMorgan Chase will open its #CherryHill branch this summer.

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2020/01/17/why-jpmorgan-chase-is-playing-the-long-game-in.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMFB_BA&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Why JPMorgan Chase is 'playing the long game' in Cherry Hill
vivo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 04:35 PM   #52504
vivo
Baltimore/DC Corridorite

Likes (Received): 16

The U.S. Lacrosse Convention, or LaxCon, will return to #Baltimore after two years in Philadelphia.

From Baltimore Business Journal
vivo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 07:06 PM   #52505
Nino_B

Likes (Received): 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
Only problem with that...it could be 20 years or more from now.

The now scuttled Hackerman proposal was by far the best. Some version of that on that site would be awesome!
the only flaw in the Hackerman design is that by putting the arena directly on the current convention center site you limit the square footage for the exhibition floor space and future growth

better to put the arena directly adjacent to the current site
Nino_B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM   #52506
micrip

Likes (Received): 1319

It was going to displace only the older part of the Convention Center. After completion, there was to be a couple hundred thousand square feet of additional space, with the arena also available if needed.
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM   #52507
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 1051

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBaltimore View Post
DC Metro is usually packed with fans when thereís a Caps or Wizards game. Not to mention, transit isnít just for those that canít afford to drive.... Most people that take transit to games take their car to work... thereís so many more benefits to transit than just cost.... Think of how other cities utilize their arena and transit systems to see what could be. Not how Baltimore does it currently....
Sure, but I was asking about Baltimore's arena, not DC's.

No need to sell me on transit. I've been using here and elsewhere since the 60s. Now, as then, if you know where you're going and aren't in a huge hurry, it's fine.

Never in a million years would I have used it to take the kids to Monster Trucks or a Blast game, though, and I know I'm not the only one. Compared to Oriole Park or The Bank after games, the Light Rail stop at the arena after events is under-used.
jamie_hunt está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM   #52508
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 1051

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
The U.S. Lacrosse Convention, or LaxCon, will return to #Baltimore after two years in Philadelphia.

From Baltimore Business Journal
Right. LaxCon toggles back and forth between Philly and Baltimore on a pre-set schedule: two years there, two here. Sometimes three.

And there's a smaller LaxCon out in Vegas for western laxers.
jamie_hunt está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM   #52509
bwhite
Brian

Likes (Received): 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBaltimore View Post
Great ideas, but I donít think theyíll become reality until a new arena is built.

Can someone explain why the arena couldnít be redeveloped at its current site? Could easily make space by taking it to the edge of Hopkins and taking down the garage Iíd think. I think an arena would be more successful on Piers 5 and 6 but itíd be better for the city as a whole (and downtown specifically) if it stayed at its current location.
It could but then you're looking at 2-3 years of no arena for the city. No visitors, no hotel rooms, no restaurant activity. That's a long time to go without an arena.
bwhite está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM   #52510
osfan24

Likes (Received): 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Sure, but I was asking about Baltimore's arena, not DC's.

No need to sell me on transit. I've been using here and elsewhere since the 60s. Now, as then, if you know where you're going and aren't in a huge hurry, it's fine.

Never in a million years would I have used it to take the kids to Monster Trucks or a Blast game, though, and I know I'm not the only one. Compared to Oriole Park or The Bank after games, the Light Rail stop at the arena after events is under-used.
Yep. For most people with our transit system, it's much easier and almost just as cheap, depending on if you are by yourself or with your family, to drive down and park as opposed to taking transit. For the large majority, because our transit system isn't built out, you have to drive and park just to get to the subway or light rail. I certainly do. The only time the light rail really made sense for me was when I was going down for the Baltimore Marathon and parking was limited because of all the streets that were blocked off, or if there is some major event downtown and parking is limited.

jamie_hunt liked this post
osfan24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:06 AM   #52511
Joakim3

Likes (Received): 885

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhite View Post
It could but then you're looking at 2-3 years of no arena for the city. No visitors, no hotel rooms, no restaurant activity. That's a long time to go without an arena.
If they where to redevelope the current arena site it will be in conjunction with a new arena built in another area of the city. Once the new Arena was near finished, only then would they demo the old one and build whatever would be replacing it.

Unlike a convention center which can function while under expansion, and arena can't. No city would willingly go arena-less for 2-3 years.
Joakim3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:38 AM   #52512
Joakim3

Likes (Received): 885

I did some math.

Without going into complex detail, I roughly calculated the height of 300 E. Pratt Street in this render by using the known height of 400 E. Pratt Street and a horizon point.

To that.. 400 East Pratt Street is 137' tall to roofline (google earth/geo-maps are great tools for this) but becuase forced perspective that same vertical edge on 300 E. Pratte street looks 20% smaller (109') so we have to account for the difference (~20%)

Forced perspective height: 430' (109 + 321 = 430)
Actual height: 516' (430 x .20 = 86 + 430 = 516')

In a nutshell, this particular render of 300 E. Pratt Street is roughly 510-520' tall.

Feel free to do your own calculations

Itus liked this post

Last edited by Joakim3; Today at 02:09 PM.
Joakim3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:55 PM   #52513
bwhite
Brian

Likes (Received): 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
If they where to redevelope the current arena site it will be in conjunction with a new arena built in another area of the city. Once the new Arena was near finished, only then would they demo the old one and build whatever would be replacing it.

Unlike a convention center which can function while under expansion, and arena can't. No city would willingly go arena-less for 2-3 years.
Exactly, wasn't the question "Can someone explain why the arena couldn’t be redeveloped at its current site?"?
bwhite está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
baltimore, development, development summary