Cebu LRT | Length: 21 kms | 16 Stations - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Railways

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #41
b_two
100% Pinoy

Likes (Received): 1492

bagay sa cebu ang subway...

Bosnyboy liked this post
b_two no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2016, 07:03 PM   #42
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

Likes (Received): 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_two View Post
bagay sa cebu ang subway...
I agree, that would be a better option... But if they find the LRT expensive, malabo na ang subway
pau_p1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2016, 08:34 PM   #43
BeaverQube

Likes (Received): 1175

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybum7 View Post
yep, keep dreaming of trains. one lrt with just the same capacity can fund multiple BRT lines. keep dreaming of one train line while Cebu gets the most coverage of mass public trans in the shortest amount of time.

re narrow roads, I believe that's what the ROW acquisitions are at right now, to expand some lanes from total of 2 per direction to three. but please correct me if im wrong.
Eto! eto talaga ang classic example ng PWEDE NA YAN attitude!

Engineer ka rin siguro sir?

ahehe_96 liked this post
BeaverQube no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2016, 04:33 AM   #44
vmanato

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
With One Cebu delivering the promised votes for Duterte, I would think they should be asking for LRT instead of the cheap, crappy BRT. After all, Duterte is very pro-rail so there is no reason why would Cebu settle for a second rate system such as a BRT when it needs and deserves LRT at minimum.
Well, the entire country voted for Duterte. Should it be the entire Philippines that'd be asking what Cebu should get?

For me it's BRT or let's put it into a plebiscite, a nationwide plebiscite.
2023 FIBA BASKETBALL WORLD CUP
vmanato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 04:37 AM   #45
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod

Likes (Received): 5218

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmanato View Post
Well, the entire country voted for Duterte. Should it be the entire Philippines that'd be asking what Cebu should get?

For me it's BRT or let's put it into a plebiscite, a nationwide plebiscite.
Why do you want BRT, have you actually used the system for yourself? Compare BRT with LRT and its a huge difference in service quality and performance. The only justification for BRT is lower capital costs but I think Cebu deserves the best money can buy given its contribution to the country.

At the end of the day, I don't see why anybody would want to settle for a second rate system for ANY city in the Philippines or anywhere in the world. Just build the LRT as it should be because that is what any major Philippine city will need when it comes to solving the problems of transportation and traffic.

"The best solution all over the world, time tested, safe, no pollution, is still the use of the train system." - Ms. Elvira Medina, Nat'l Center for Commuter Safety and Protection

negative_black03 liked this post
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 06:19 AM   #46
BeaverQube

Quote:
Why do you want BRT, have you actually used the system for yourself? Compare BRT with LRT and its a huge difference in service quality and performance. The only justification for BRT is lower capital costs but I think Cebu deserves the best money can buy given its contribution to the country.

At the end of the day, I don't see why anybody would want to settle for a second rate system for ANY city in the Philippines or anywhere in the world. Just build the LRT as it should be because that is what any major Philippine city will need when it comes to solving the problems of transportation and traffic.
Maniwala kayo kay queetz! may mas dating when it comes to mass transport ang sinasabi nyan kaysa MCIA manager ninyo!

Queetz knows and have more knowledge firsthand on the BIG difference between LRT and a BRT me thinks.

But then again, pag ayaw bakit pilitin. Bigay na lang sa Iloilo/Negros or Davao ang budget.
Old May 14th, 2016, 06:52 AM   #47
jjdns

Likes (Received): 1795

Ako maniwala kay queetz kasi yung nanalong cousin nya sa senado mag sponsor ata ng party para sa ssc
jjdns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 07:27 AM   #48
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod

Likes (Received): 5218

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverQube View Post
Maniwala kayo kay queetz! may mas dating when it comes to mass transport ang sinasabi nyan kaysa MCIA manager ninyo!

Queetz knows and have more knowledge firsthand on the BIG difference between LRT and a BRT me thinks.

But then again, pag ayaw bakit pilitin. Bigay na lang sa Iloilo/Negros or Davao ang budget.
When I was in Canada, one of my advocacies was pushing for the Evergreen Line, a Skytrain extension in Vancouver which is now nearing completion.

Back in the day, there was never enough money or political will to do it, so transit planners wanted to introduce BRT and came up with all these useless mumbo jumbo "studies" saying how this is suppose to be a good thing. Essentially Translink was pushing for a system called Irisbus Civis as an alternative to Skytrain, which is our LRT.

I was very active in resisting their BRT proposals, so much so I even went to Las Vegas myself (the only place in North America the Civis was in service) and documented the BRT there which is pathetic, and made a formal presentation at the Translink Board. I don't know whether my lobbying efforts made a difference but it was fortunate that Translink scrapped the idea and decided to push for LRT instead (and later on through poiitics, Skytrain was extended).

So yes, the topic of BRT vs LRT is very dear to me. And I know for a fact that its an inferior system that should not be introduced. Perhaps as a feeder system, why not if you have the road space. But as a main line, FORGET IT!

"The best solution all over the world, time tested, safe, no pollution, is still the use of the train system." - Ms. Elvira Medina, Nat'l Center for Commuter Safety and Protection

BeaverQube liked this post
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 08:35 AM   #49
Particle 1
Evolving... Please wait.

Likes (Received): 5182

kailangan ng feasibility study para sa Cebu LRT. magkano ang magiging government subsidy?
Particle 1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 11:01 AM   #50
b_two
100% Pinoy

Likes (Received): 1492

imo baka 60 pesos din. pero dapat forward thinking. in about 20 years baka super congested na ang cebu so might as well prepare for it para pagdating ng panahong iyon ay nakalatag na ang infra. take note na medyo may katagalan ang process mula study hanggang actual construction.
Old May 15th, 2016, 03:32 AM   #51
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

Likes (Received): 1034

Correct why should Cebu follow Manila's lack of forward looking in terms of preparing the Metro from the current overcrowding it is experiencing... Look at MRT3 that Manila politics built with little forward thinking dahil sa pagtitipid...

Whi is the mainnproponent if BRT in Cebu? I wonder how much earnings he expect from the BRT companies... Hmnm
pau_p1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 06:44 AM   #52
transjico
BANNED

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau_p1 View Post
Correct why should Cebu follow Manila's lack of forward looking in terms of preparing the Metro from the current overcrowding it is experiencing... Look at MRT3 that Manila politics built with little forward thinking dahil sa pagtitipid...

Whi is the mainnproponent if BRT in Cebu? I wonder how much earnings he expect from the BRT companies... Hmm
That is the reason why Duterte is pushing for a federal system of government, so that it wouldnt be Manila alone. Besides if everything is done right, it wouldnt result in overcrowding. Best example? MRT2.

IMO we should build an LRT for Cebu with tracks ready for future upgrade into an MRT or full metro.
transjico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:13 PM   #53
JY.Lee
Technocrat

Likes (Received): 1121

Everybody wants a train or subway but the fact that the BRT took almost a decade to even start construction makes everyone think when will this subway happen... 2050?
The BRT is a band aid solution and everybody knows that but it's still better than nothing. What can we do, our country is the Philippines not Japan.
JY.Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 09:05 AM   #54
ahehe_96
Mr.V

Likes (Received): 213

cebuanos want a rail transport kasi they don't want to happened in manila today, BRT is the solution for today/current problem, MRT would be the solution for the future..
Rodrigo Duterte
ahehe_96 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 12:29 PM   #55
baybum7

Likes (Received): 609

Quote:
When I was in Canada, one of my advocacies was pushing for the Evergreen Line, a Skytrain extension in Vancouver which is now nearing completion.

Back in the day, there was never enough money or political will to do it, so transit planners wanted to introduce BRT and came up with all these useless mumbo jumbo "studies" saying how this is suppose to be a good thing. Essentially Translink was pushing for a system called Irisbus Civis as an alternative to Skytrain, which is our LRT.

I was very active in resisting their BRT proposals, so much so I even went to Las Vegas myself (the only place in North America the Civis was in service) and documented the BRT there which is pathetic, and made a formal presentation at the Translink Board. I don't know whether my lobbying efforts made a difference but it was fortunate that Translink scrapped the idea and decided to push for LRT instead (and later on through poiitics, Skytrain was extended).

So yes, the topic of BRT vs LRT is very dear to me. And I know for a fact that its an inferior system that should not be introduced. Perhaps as a feeder system, why not if you have the road space. But as a main line, FORGET IT!
Care to share some details on the disadvantages of BRT? I'm (genuinely) interested in the comparison between the two
baybum7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 12:51 PM   #56
Wind Shear
Missed Opportunities

Likes (Received): 321

I wonder why this thread is open (or rather, reopened) where the project office is already closed on December 30, 2010.

Pardon the exceeded limit since the page itself is 404. Good thing there is a site that archived it.

Quote:
CEBU CITY -- The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) suspended the operation of the Cebu Railway Project Office (CRPO), effective last December 31, 2010.

It instructed General Manager Nigel Paul Villarete of the Mactan-Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA) to take custody of the equipment in the office, set up in 2009 in preparation for the construction of the Light Rail Transit (LRT).

"We would like to reiterate our verbal request to transfer the office equipment of the CRPO to MCIAA for storage purposes, as the latter's operation is suspended effective December 31, 2010," read the letter from Glicerio V. Sikat, DOTC undersecretary for rail transport and civil aviation.

The letter, dated December 22, was addressed to Villarete, who said that maybe the reason the CRPO equipment will be entrusted with MCIAA is that both the authority and the CRPO report to the same undersecretary in the DOTC.

The CRPO holds office in Crown Plaza at the North Reclamation Area, Cebu City.

The CRPO was established in 2009 by Guiling Maondiong, then DOTC undersecretary for railway and civil aviation, who conducted a public hearing in August 2009 on the railway project in Cebu as proposed by the AMA Group of Companies.

The railway project has drawn support from Representatives Eduardo Gullas (first district), Pablo Garcia (second district), Pablo John Garcia (third district) and Benhur Salimbangon (fourth district). It will serve Mandaue City, Cebu City and Talisay City, and will stretch from Talisay City to Dalaguete town in southern Cebu and from Mandaue City to Catmon in the north.

One incident that stood out in that hearing was when then-Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña (now congressman of Cebu City's south district) opposed the LRT project and called DOTC officials "lousy" urban planners.

Osmeña, together with Villarete who was then the Cebu City Planning and Development officer, is advocating for the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) instead of a rail system.

Villarete said the DOTC discussed last month the BRT proposal with World Bank representatives, who committed to provide financial assistance for the feasibility study.

In the meantime, Villarete said he is proposing to the Korean International Cooperation Agency to consider providing funds for BRT-ready transport that will link the airport to the cities of Mandaue and Lapu-Lapu.

BRT-ready means the proper agency will acquire buses, which can be used in any route but will be compatible with the BRT system once the infrastructure is in place. (EOB/Sun.Star Cebu)

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 05, 2011.
And also mods, I would like to request to make the title proper case (Cebu LRT Project, not CEBU LRT PROJECT).

Jaime Gris, Coder | DeviantArt | Reddit
Wind Shear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 04:28 AM   #57
jp1032

Likes (Received): 2863

Bakit ayaw nitong Osmena na ito sa LRT project? May share ba siya sa mga bus companies na maaapektuhan ng LRT project sakali?

Masyado ng traffic ang Cebu lalo na rush hour. Muntik na ako maiwan sa flight namin dyan dahil naipit kami sa traffic from Mabolo to Mactan Airport
jp1032 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 05:12 AM   #58
Wind Shear
Missed Opportunities

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1032 View Post
Bakit ayaw nitong Osmena na ito sa LRT project? May share ba siya sa mga bus companies na maaapektuhan ng LRT project sakali?

Masyado ng traffic ang Cebu lalo na rush hour. Muntik na ako maiwan sa flight namin dyan dahil naipit kami sa traffic from Mabolo to Mactan Airport
Cebu BRT is underway. If NEDA didn't hold the project for 2 years, the mass transit is already operational.

Jaime Gris, Coder | DeviantArt | Reddit
Wind Shear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 03:02 PM   #59
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 3362

Why even think of LRT when Cebu can have a heavy rapid transit system instead.

A 3-car heavy rail system can work for now just like the original config of BKK's BTS!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:37 AM   #60
BeaverQube

Build those rails in other cities instead of Cebu..

Let them Cebuanos just have BRT and appoint their current MCIA manager to be the BRT manager also para masaya ang dating kasi sya rin ang may idea nyan ayun sa mga previous discussions dito...LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement