Save LRT2 Facts and Data (Reference Thread for those needing research materials) - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Railways

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 16th, 2016, 01:49 PM   #21
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod

Likes (Received): 5194

Based on what we've read so far....

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveisthekey93 View Post
Who is this YUSECO?

He is the CEO of a company called Philtrack Inc.

Any idea what are his credentials?

His LinkedIn page shows he is an investment banker

Where did he graduate and what course?

De La Salle University
Liberal Arts and Commerce, Political Science and Business Administration

Is he affiliated to some bus companies and manufacturers?

Del Monte Motors, per the Inquirer article posted a few page back.

Why the hell is the government even noticing him?

He has been proposing his Intelligent Trackway since the Cory Aquino administration but with no success. He blames his failures on the so called bias towards foreign consultants who recommend that rail, not BRT, be the solution on our mass transit needs.

He seem to have taken advantage of Art Tugade's lack of knowledge on railways, something he openly admitted, hence why he hired Noel Kintanar because "mayroon alam". But because he was given fancy numbers by Yuseco, who is skilled at that craft given he was an investment banker, Art is now open to the idea of replacing LRT2 with a BRT system.

The main motivation is fear of lack of spare parts for the LRT2 trains, something that could really be fixed if Noel Kintanar is able to convince lawmakers to relax the procurement laws with regards to original manufacturers. Plus with MRT7 also from Hyundai Rotem, it could also help if the spare parts of the trainsets of both lines be shared.

"The best solution all over the world, time tested, safe, no pollution, is still the use of the train system." - Ms. Elvira Medina, Nat'l Center for Commuter Safety and Protection
queetz@home no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2016, 12:59 AM   #22
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod

Well, at least we know Francis Yuseco does not control Boo Chanco (my favourite columnist ) despite being in his Facebook friendslist....phew...

Not organized to fix traffic

Quote:
I realize too that Sec. Tugade is being inundated by all sorts of proposals like one that seeks to rip out the tracks on LRT 2 and convert it to a BRT system. This is supposed “to address the LRT-2’s ageing system as well as maintenance.” This is a controversial proposal and discussion will delay improvements needed in a system we already have.

Ageing system? LRT-2 is the youngest system they have! What do we do with the trains? Throw them away? They are wider than the LRT-1 and MRT-3 trains so cannot be used on those lines. The LRT-2 loan for the original construction is still running too.

It is alright to build BRT systems, but don’t destroy working rail systems we already have. Luckily Tugade was reported to have said the concept “needs a lot of thinking. It needs a lot of planning and we have to get a lot of approval.”

In other words, a lot of delay. It would be easier to complete the public bidding needed to make the LRT 2 extension to Masinag usable as soon as DMCI completes its work on the superstructure. Build the BRT in new areas to supplement LRTs, MRT.

I hope Sec Tugade is not being overwhelmed. I like his enthusiasm but it is important he sticks to the right priorities and leave the daydreaming about an ideal transport system to his planners. Right now, he has to address our traffic jams that are getting worse by the day.

"The best solution all over the world, time tested, safe, no pollution, is still the use of the train system." - Ms. Elvira Medina, Nat'l Center for Commuter Safety and Protection
Old August 17th, 2016, 01:57 AM   #23
johannsky
BANNED

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Temporarily Signing Off.
As I need all my strength, concentration and energy to ensure that we make our Intelligent Trackways a smashing success and in order that I don't get distracted by negative forces out to destroy the project ; prudence dictates that I temporarily sign-off from writing on my FB account on the progress of our Intel Track project.
Best I just let the government itself report to the media on the progress of the project.
I know all you good people, friends and patriots fully appreciate and understand. Until then , we have to leave everything to The Almighty.
From Yuseco's facebook page. He seem's affected by SSC forum posts. May the loser lost forever.
johannsky no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2016, 02:16 AM   #24
johannsky
BANNED

Is Yuseco really claimed he is the inventor of the BRT system? Look at this report.

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/I...60/midgley.pdf

That guy is a SCAM. The government should not entertain his idea. Though I am actively supporting BRT system along EDSA, C5 and other corridors, I am totally against the conversion of LRT2 into BRT system.
Old August 17th, 2016, 03:58 AM   #25
s_w_stars

Likes (Received): 4833

some facts and figures

First of all, I'm glad you guys are seeing through this Francis Yuseco - scammer? self-promoter? liar? he can be all this or for all I care he can be a saint in someone's boardroom. The man's rationale for asking DOT to change LRT2 into a BRT is making a laughing stock of Pinoys. A working mass transit system into a bus system?

Here are some info as some people have asked me here. First, I'm an experienced "traveler" over a few decades, i.e. I take public transpo wherever and whenever I can in many places around the world. Yup, I've become an expert reading route maps, reading time tables and taking habal-habal in Panglao to the antique subway trains of Moscow to the teleferico of La Paz. For references, I'm using Toronto Transit, because they've had a lot of discussions on what type of equipment to use over the last 10 years (we're still in the midst of changing equipment, tracks, etc.)

*BRT is only a bus line with jazzed up stops/stations with fully dedicated right of away. Think of the bus lanes on EDSA, just put them in the middle and voila you've got a BRT line. BRT uses buses, the new hybrid low floor or the articulated ones. Hybrid buses capacity is around 55, add standing room, you might get 70-80 packed like sardines. Examples of similar buses used in Lima and Bogota BRT (maybe not exactly the same as they tend to use European, German makes).

Hybrid, low floor max capacity 55 pax
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/200...rid_buses.html
Articulated, maximum 70 pax
https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Pro...uses/index.jsp

*BRT can have multiple routes, i.e. buses going to different direction go on the same roadway and change streets at some interesection, as opposed to subways or elevated rail going only in one direction. In Lima and Bogota, I noticed BRT lines tend to be in the middle of the expressway or in the median of very wide boulevards. In Bogota, they can take up to 4 lanes/2 each direction. Subways, LRT/MRT have only one track each, except in switching yards/stations.

*Capacity wise, for comparisons, rail lines:
The Toronto LRV (replacing the old streetcars/LRT) can carry 250 (with standing room, packed)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexit...nto_streetcar)
The new Toronto subway trains, articulated i.e. it's open from first to last car. Seating 64+199 standing per CAR/260 per car. Based on current 6 car configuration, that's 1560 passengers PER SINGLE TRIP.
https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Pro...rain/index.jsp
And our beloved Hyundai Rotem (heavy rail) of L2,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila..._System_Line_2
based on the current 4 car configuration, 1628 passengers/400 per car PER SINGLE TRIP.

Now if you compare the BRT articulated bus with the LRV/subway car/heavy rail,

3.5 articulated bus trips = 1 Bombardier LRV trip
22 articulated bus trips = 1 Toronto subway trip
23 articulated bus trips = 1 (Hundai Rotem) L2 trip

Hands down Hyundi Rotem wins in terms of maximum number of passengers PER TRIP. Articulated buses do not come in extra LONG configuration, like that "road train" people are talking about. I'm no engineer, but you sacrifice speed otherwise the back of a "road train" will start to wiggle or whip around.

*Maintenance - Yuseco seems to be harping on the cost of maintaining the L2. In the PH, maintenance seems to be an f word. Maintenance is part of the cost of doing business, providing service etc. It is an OPERATION expense, not an extraordinary item on your financial item, not a capital expense (unless for renovation, equipment etc.) I'd rather a system that spends money on maintenance than not all for passenger SAFETY. Just like airlines do.

I've said enough. Yuseco typical of a sari sari mentality wants to replace an already over capacity mass public transit system with one that can carry less passengers all because of CHEAP maintenance. Someone better tell him that he is not running a trici or jeepney franchise.

Reminder this is how the Bogota BRT stations look like during work week (seen this with my own eyes), see any improvement over Manila's transit lines? They only have 9 m people with about 3x the size of Metro Manila in area:

Old August 18th, 2016, 05:29 PM   #26
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 3361

Line-2 - BRT issue is in an online Indonesian news site.

In fact, the image they used is actually mine!

http://www.re-digest.web.id/2016/08/...mengganti.html

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea  
Old August 18th, 2016, 07:10 PM   #27
Christian_123
Mood-erator

Likes (Received): 1493

Regarding MRT-2 under performing on interms of ridership and not earning enough profits, did LRTA forgot their own mandate and history where all LRTA related rail lines is and should be about public first, profits later? I mean, this is written on their website:

Quote:
The entire system was expected to be financially "in the red" well into 1993. Against an expected gross revenue of P365 million for the first operating year, government losses were thought likely to reach P216 million.
The system was designed as a public utility rather than as a profit center.
http://lrta.gov.ph/index.php/2014-05...05-22-02-14-54

^I know what i quoted originally was for LRT-1 but seeing LRTA IS a goverment agency (or i think it still is), it baffles me why the heck they even worry about it not earning enough income?

Back on topic:
I'm glad that this issue is now, pardon the pun, traction and it's now being caught by the international community.

JUNK THE BANGSAMORO BASIC LAW

s_w_stars liked this post
Christian_123 no está en línea  
Old August 18th, 2016, 08:01 PM   #28
Bahay_Kubo
IntellectuallyStimulating

Likes (Received): 510

here's a good material on the pros and cons of BRT:

What is Bus Rapid Transit – and why doesn’t every city want one?
Bahay_Kubo no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2016, 01:57 AM   #29
johannsky
BANNED

More posts from ABS-CBN regarding LRT2 conversion to BRT.

Quote:
In a letter to the DOTr dated August 11, Filipino consortium Philtrak Inc. offered to dismantle the LRT-2, cement its carriageway and install the BRT -- all for free.
Philtrak President Francis Yuseco said they are ready to provide 30 BRT bus units that could serve 243,000 passengers every day from Recto station in Manila until Santolan station in Pasig.
http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/08/18/1...-replace-lrt-2

Support itsMRT2 appeal on change.org

https://www.change.org/p/philippine-...-correct-mrt-2
Old August 19th, 2016, 04:18 AM   #30
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod

BREAKING NEWS: Yuseco is a threat even to other BRT projects!

I'm just still doing my continuing research on Francis Yuseco and low and behold, not only is he a threat to LRT2 and other rail lines such as LRT1, MRT3, MRT7 and PNR, but to other Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) projects on the pipeline as well!!!!

Gov’t slams brakes on articulated bus plan

Quote:
The government’s plan to implement an articulated bus service on Edsa to decongest the Metro Rail Transit Line 3 (MRT-3) is facing a possible snag as a long-time private sector proponent of a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) System in the country alleged a potential intellectual property rights violation.

The articulated bus dry run, carried out on Edsa and partly being implemented by the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board, was declared a success with the government eyeing private operators to start the service by the time school opens in June this year.
The plan, however, is being opposed by the Philtrak Group of businessman and inventor Francis Yuseco Jr., the patent and copyright holder of the BRT system, according to May 8 letter from Yuseco’s legal counsel, the Saguisag Law Firm. The Inquirer has obtained a copy of the letter.

The document, addressed to LTFRB chair Winston Ginez, noted that the trial run conducted on May 7 for an articulated bus to travel along dedicated priority lanes with fixed loading and unloading stations “appears to approximate the operations of an exclusive track-based transit system.”
“It behooves us to let you know, that such move shall infringe upon the intellectual property rights of Inventor Francis R. Yuseco Jr. under Republic Act No. 8293, including the severe criminal and civil liabilities imposed to violations thereof,” a portion of the letter read.

“Francis Yuseco extends his utmost willingness and cooperation to meet at your earliest convenience to discuss these matters more thoroughly with you and your staff,” the letter noted. “In the meantime, we advise you from desisting in conducting further tests without his expressed and written consent.”

Ginez declined to comment over the weekend, saying he has yet to receive
the letter from Yuseco’s group.

The use of bus units using priority lanes with fixed loading areas “was already recognized as intellectual property rights of Mr. Yuseco under Philippine Copyright R-4656” since 1989, according to Yuseco.
What this means is if there is a DOTr BRT project that will try to be at par with that of Curitiba, which again was invented by Jaime Lerner and started operations in 1974, because of this "Only in the Philippines" Copyright R-4656, Francis Yuseco can put a legal stoppage on it and seek compensation!

This puts all current BRT projects being thought off in other parts of the country, including Cebu, Iloilo, the Quezon Ave proposal, and so on, in absolute risk!

Francis Yuseco is essentially trying to takeover the entire Philippine transit system! This has to be stopped.

itsMRT2, s_w_stars liked this post
Old August 19th, 2016, 05:19 AM   #31
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod

This is Republic Act 8293. I haven't read it all but can you guys help too?

Just quickly glancing, it looks like at page 25, Section 61.1 a, it looks like you can have a patent cancelled if it was proven it was not true.

Quote:
SEC. 61. Cancellation of Patents. –

61.1. Any interested person may, upon payment of the required fee, petition to cancel the patent or any claim thereof, or parts of the claim, on any of the following grounds:
(a) That what is claimed as the invention is not new or
patentable;
(b) That the patent does not disclose the invention in a
manner sufficiently clear and complete for it to be carried out by
any person skilled in the art; or 26
(c) That the patent is contrary to the public order or
morality.
61.2. Where the grounds for cancellation relate to some
of the claims or parts of the claim, cancellation may be effected to
such extent only. (Secs. 28 and 29, R.A. No. 165a)
Comments, thoughts, suggestions?

All our rail lines and even BRTs maybe at stake here...

Old August 19th, 2016, 05:52 AM   #32
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

This is The DOTC video on BRT,

Old August 19th, 2016, 05:57 AM   #33
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

A YouTube video on Trans Milenio in Bogota, Colombia. I'm only going to post the link,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU6ImWY4IBc

One of the comments in the video,

Quote:
Harold Farfan, 6 months ago

In this video we only see a part of the transmilenio, is a good system, but not to a big city like Bogotα, it has a lot of problems too, we need a subway since is the best massive transportation system this two combined could be the answer for mobility.
On the other hand,

s_w_stars liked this post
Old August 19th, 2016, 06:04 AM   #34
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Another advantage of Line-2 is for the cyclists, mainly those with folding bikes.

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/52...icycles-trains

One with the folding bike can bike to the nearest station and enter the train. Once reaching his station of destination, the cyclist can continue to bike to the destination.

Such will be impossible with BRT.

On the other hand, if there is one thing I noticed when I was in The SF Bay Area are the number of workers living in the suburbs, bring their bikes inside the Caltrain and then bike to their place of work once in SF!

Old August 19th, 2016, 08:05 AM   #35
ArrowHead30
Pinoy Winnipeger

Likes (Received): 119

I am posting Jaime Lerner's TED talk about the BRT in Curitiba.

He said something in 8:48 that Yuseco should bear in his mind:

"NEVER COMPETE IN THE SAME SPACE"

I believe Mr. Lerner can speak English from seeing the TED talk, hence my earlier suggestion to contact him possibly.

Jaime Lerner
ArrowHead30 no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2016, 04:42 PM   #36
s_w_stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila-X View Post
When it comes to acquisition of rolling stock and maintenance, is Hyundai Rotem, the most affordable there is if you are talking about good quality rolling stock and a cheaper maintenance?

Compared to the likes of Alstrom or Bombardier?
That "maintenance" cost argument is utter bullshit. If you read the article, Tugade says there will be savings of 5-10% only. Replacing a rail line with buses, to save 5-10 (not 50)%? What about the capital cost to replace it? What about the cost to consumers?

I'm not sure what Tugade's competencies are but boy oh boy is he ever digging himself an early grave with this one.

PLUS, making a compromise solution to the common station when there's nothing to compromise or wrong with the original common station. The best compromise he should have made, is take away that CS from the Ayala Consortium, and the gov't build the CS. No gastos to the Ayala.
Old August 21st, 2016, 08:40 AM   #37
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 12319

Okay, let me put this into perspective now:

Right now, LRT-2 carries nearly 200,000 passengers a day, which is the least of the three lines (MRT-3 comes in first place, LRT-1 second). In addition, there are 72 trains, of which each 4-car train (18 sets total) can carry up to around 1,628 passengers (232 seated, 1396 standees). In comparison, a typical bus can seat around 50 passengers and can accommodate up to 30 standees. As for a jeepney, let's put it at 20 to 25 seated passengers and up to 3 standees.

Source 1

So, if we are to compare the efficiency of LRT-2 in terms of the ability to carry passengers versus the equivalent number of buses and jeepneys needed to carry those that would ride LRT-2 at full capacity per train...

1,628 passengers can equal to:

1 LRT-2 train
Around 20 buses
Around 65 jeepneys

Then, we will have to calculate how overcrowded the trains are by doing this equation:

(1,628 passengers/train) * 72 trains = 117,216 passengers

195,200 (daily ridership based on 2013 estimates) / 117,216 = 166.53%

The 166.53% figure means that the trains are running at around 66% over capacity in terms of ridership. This is comparable with many other train lines around the region, especially in Tokyo, including:

Hanzomon Line (Tokyo Metro): 173%
Ginza Line (Tokyo Metro): 168%
Hibiya Line (Tokyo Metro): 164%
Mita Line (Toei Subway): 164%

Source 2

In comparison, with Hong Kong MTR's Tsuen Wan Line that operates with 8-car trains and the ability to carry 2,500 passengers per train...

- 75,000 passengers per hour in peak direction
- 1,058,300 passengers per day

Can anyone calculate the peak capacity rate with those figures?

Source 3

That shows us one thing: LRT-2 can actually reduce further congestion on our roadways by reducing the number of buses and jeepneys needed to traverse the roadways along the alignment. And by the way, if the government had long-term visions, we could have allowed 6-car train lengths for the line if capacity is warranted, in which it should be the same as allowing up to 10-car trains on the MRT-3 line had if they knew about the eventual popularity of those lines.

Pittsburg • Piedmont • Petaluma • Palo Alto • Pacifica • Orinda • Oakley
fieldsofdreams no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2016, 06:31 PM   #38
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 12319

My other points of contention include:

- How many trains does MRT-2 actually operate per hour, from start to end of operation?
- What frequencies does this train have (e.g. peak hours, midday, nighttime, and weekends) to further refine my calculations? I did the 72 trains based on an 18-hour day at 4 trains per hour, in which I know may be a bit too low to make the actual congestion count.
- How long is one full trip along the line, plus any turnaround layovers at both ends?
- Are there any spare trains reserved at the Santolan Depot for emergencies?
- Which section, do you think, is the busiest along the line (like in between two stations)?

Pittsburg • Piedmont • Petaluma • Palo Alto • Pacifica • Orinda • Oakley
fieldsofdreams no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2016, 06:55 PM   #39
s_w_stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I finally saw some of Francis Yuseco's FB posts that has not been broadcasted yet. Craziness aside, the postings where he did explain with some sense of calmness seem to indicate his mindset is still that of an investment banker, NOT an urban planner or transit proponent. Costs are important but it seems that is his ONLY focus. For him, people are just numbers in a spreadsheet, and his main selling point is ultimately the bottom line.

He does not focus much on the passenger's well being, the way the rail lines shape development and cityscapes, the quality of life, environmental impacts, efficient movement of people and so on. Its all subsidies, foreign exchange rates and interest payments, which is really just one part of the challenge the people in government has to deal with. Sure something is expensive but that doesn't mean its bad. And if something can be done cheaper, that doesn't mean its good.

Its sad and if Art Tugade, who should be wearing a different hat now being a public servant as oppose to being a CEO of a logistics company, finds value in Francis Yuseco's schemes, then he really isn't right for the DOTr job.
Yuseco's plan was to save 5-10% on maintenance costs. From a strictly business/financial perspective, the savings would have to be weighed against the amortization of the capital cost to convert it according to his plan, add to that the amortization on the capital cost of building the L2. It's like saving 5-10% for saving's sake. It's like getting a second mortgage on your house because of 5-10% savings to rebuild your house without taking into consideration the added years to pay down those mortgages. But from a public, mass transit perspective, how much savings can his plan deliver to the commuters, in terms of time and in the fare box. The costs far outweigh the 5-10% savings in maintenance he is proposing. Someone can do a proper comparative analysis for him. The guy is a snake oil salesman.

As for Tugade, based on what I've read, I don't think he is the right person for the job. I have my reasons but Boo Chanco's article has already hinted at that. Oh lordy lord.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila-X View Post
A country cannot prosper without spending!

The previous administration learned from it when they decided to save up the first years.

The GDP contracted but still a positive growth.
Savings for saving's sake, window dressing.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:01 AM   #40
itsMRT2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 103

Time is running out, please do share this simplified infographic fast. Facebook Link here: https://www.facebook.com/hashtagMRT2...2041072311037/

itsMRT2 no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread