Makati Subway|Length:11 kms.|10 Stations - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Railways

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2018, 03:57 AM   #61
Tokyo/Manila
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3307

Makati Subway can move 'faster than expected,' proponent says

Posted at Jul 05 2018 09:40 AM

Quote:
MANILA -- The proposed Makati subway, which may be built with Chinese partners, will move "faster than expected," its proponent said Thursday.

IRC Properties is working with the Makati City government first before expanding it to as many as 3 other cities, president and CEO Antonio Tiu said.
snipped

Quote:
The company secured "original proponent" status for the project, meaning it has the right to match the bid of a challenger, should there be one, according to Public Private Partnership guidelines.

"With regards to our Chinese partners, they re shareholders. They put up equity, I believe this project would fly faster than expected," Tiu told ANC's Early Edition.
snipped

Quote:
Tiu is the second tycoon to submit an unsolicited proposal for a railway in the capital. Billionaire Andrew Tan's Alliance Global proposed the construction of a monorail to connect Makati and Taguig cities.

The government also plans to construct a subway from Mindanao Avenue in Quezon City to the Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Pasay City under its P8-trillion "Build, Build, Build" program.
snipped

Quote:
IRC Allied earlier told the stock exchange that Greenland Holdings, Jiangsu Provincial Construction Group, Kwan On Holdings, MingTu Investment Holdings and China Harbour Engineering Construction "signified their intention" to join the consortium that would build the subway.

MegaPotato liked this post
Tokyo/Manila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2018, 04:14 AM   #62
fretburner

Likes (Received): 2331

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_w_stars View Post
What do you mean? The spacing between stations is dependent on catchment, e.g in city centre where the density is higher, it is shorter. Some as low as 100 m far apart to 400 m. In Toronto, 250 m in downtown core, 500 m outside, and uptown maybe 1 k or more. There are formulas used to determine the spacing between station to station. In Manila however the avg spacing is 1.2 km. I think that station from Bayambang to Tayuman is probably more like 800 m (based on old drawing/specs I read on LRT 1). So 600 m in inner city is not too much.

600m is a 5-minute walk. Going down to the station, waiting for a train, coming back up to the surface, that's more than 5 minutes.

eldre456 liked this post
fretburner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2018, 02:10 PM   #63
Porknight

Likes (Received): 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretburner View Post
600m is a 5-minute walk. Going down to the station, waiting for a train, coming back up to the surface, that's more than 5 minutes.
well if you are taking the subway for 600 meters it doesn't make any sense.

just walk . I know that most of the time walking in the metro is not really an option even for short distances because there are no sidewalks but Makati CBD is quite safe they have large sidewalks , when I need to go to manila , I always stays in Makati , even if the hotels are quite expensive for what they give you is nice to have the possibility to walk in a large sidewalk. Makati CBD and the fort are the only place where walking in a pleasure .

one time I stayed in a horrible hotel called somerset which was seriously overprice but it was near Ayala triangle which is a small park .
We used to go to Greenbelt by foot and it was so nice and i felt so safe.

something rare in the Philippines.

s_w_stars liked this post
Porknight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2018, 02:14 PM   #64
gulp01
BANNED

Likes (Received): 393

Romb, MegaPotato, dipdown, leechtat liked this post
gulp01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2018, 01:23 AM   #65
lancetrn

Likes (Received): 203

Wow they are looking forward to expand outside Makati. I hope abutan ko na mag expand to sa QC haha
lancetrn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2018, 09:28 AM   #66
MegaPotato

Likes (Received): 297

I hope they will extend it through Pasay and to Manila, terminating to Tutuban. From Comembo station, extend it to further serve Taguig and terminate to FTI. Maybe they can even extend further to serve Parañaque area if feasible.
MegaPotato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2018, 09:35 AM   #67
MegaPotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porknight View Post
...I know that most of the time walking in the metro is not really an option even for short distances because there are no sidewalks but Makati CBD is quite safe they have large sidewalks , when I need to go to manila , I always stays in Makati , even if the hotels are quite expensive for what they give you is nice to have the possibility to walk in a large sidewalk. Makati CBD and the fort are the only place where walking in a pleasure .

one time I stayed in a horrible hotel called somerset which was seriously overprice but it was near Ayala triangle which is a small park .
We used to go to Greenbelt by foot and it was so nice and i felt so safe.

something rare in the Philippines.
Proper sidewalks, unfortunately, become a premium feature in Philippine cities and towns, let alone larger sidewalks. If there are large sidewalks, they are neglected, become a parking lot, or filled with street vendors. Worst, eventually eaten up by buildings to extend their spaces.

Because of this, walking is become more of a hassle or not as pleasurable as with areas that have one. We later than more accustomed to taking vehicles to transport even over short distances, which contributes to the chaos of PUV "system". We are not accustomed to walking to bus stops anymore which was actually a thing decades ago but now died.

We really have to fix the basic features of a city/town. The root of our traffic problems are not all because of the lack of infrastructures, but the lack of a proper system.
Old July 6th, 2018, 09:42 AM   #68
fretburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaPotato View Post
Proper sidewalks, unfortunately, become a premium feature in Philippine cities and towns, let alone larger sidewalks. If there are large sidewalks, they are neglected, become a parking lot, or filled with street vendors. Worst, eventually eaten up by buildings to extend their spaces.

This is actually a very easy fix. Cities can just make it mandatory to ensure covered sidewalks for every building. For new ones, their building plans won't be approved by city hall without a covered sidewalk, old ones can either build their own or pay for a city-built sidewalk. Give the only ones 1-2yrs to do it.

Many years ago, this was one of the things I found unique to Davao, i.e. you walk around the city even when it rains... Although it probably wasn't an ordinance and business just did it.

Old July 7th, 2018, 03:39 PM   #69
MegaPotato

Quote:
This is actually a very easy fix. Cities can just make it mandatory to ensure covered sidewalks for every building. For new ones, their building plans won't be approved by city hall without a covered sidewalk, old ones can either build their own or pay for a city-built sidewalk. Give the only ones 1-2yrs to do it.

Many years ago, this was one of the things I found unique to Davao, i.e. you walk around the city even when it rains... Although it probably wasn't an ordinance and business just did it.
Unfortunate it's not easy for us, at least in MM. I believe that Manila did have spacious sidewalks which are still present, just so happens because the LGUs didn't care about urban planning and design. It slowly filled with vendors and let the establishments or residential buildings extend to once sidewalks. Not to mention electrical poles sometimes are in the worst spot.

This should be a national thing and make it a standard and make it a mandatory requirement like you said, with 1-2 years allowance. Though this is difficult on already congested areas but not impossible if the government is willing and have proper vision.
Old July 7th, 2018, 04:05 PM   #70
dipdown

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Unfortunate it's not easy for us, at least in MM. I believe that Manila did have spacious sidewalks which are still present, just so happens because the LGUs didn't care about urban planning and design. It slowly filled with vendors and let the establishments or residential buildings extend to once sidewalks. Not to mention electrical poles sometimes are in the worst spot.

This should be a national thing and make it a standard and make it a mandatory requirement like you said, with 1-2 years allowance. Though this is difficult on already congested areas but not impossible if the government is willing and have proper vision.
Manila is a "planned city" however it doesn't look like it. It looks messy and sidewalks are not even maintained.
I envy New Clark City because they have spacious sidewalks and proper bike lanes.

Electricity should be underground, like in BGC. Those vendors and informal settlers should also be removed. And they should also add plants, as well as a proper bike lane. Its going to cost a lot, but its worth it imo.
Old July 7th, 2018, 04:51 PM   #71
Transporter89
Infrastructures/Cities

Likes (Received): 1096

Tssss let the gov't decide not oligarch.

Bulabugin natin ang gobyerno! Huwag tayong titigil hangga't hindi ito bumibili ng karagdagang tren at kumukuha ng magagaling at matitinong railway managers. Dikdikin natin ang gobyerno para diinan din nito ang mga negosyanteng nanlalamang sa kontrata at serbisyo.
Transporter89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2018, 06:37 PM   #72
Porknight

Quote:

Because of this, walking is become more of a hassle or not as pleasurable as with areas that have one. We later than more accustomed to taking vehicles to transport even over short distances, which contributes to the chaos of PUV "system". We are not accustomed to walking to bus stops anymore which was actually a thing decades ago but now died.

We really have to fix the basic features of a city/town. The root of our traffic problems are not all because of the lack of infrastructures, but the lack of a proper system.
Well if there a police fighting a drug war which is an impossible war to win with violence , I'm wondering why we can't have police monitoring sidewalks ..which an easier war to win.

The lack of a public transportation system is the root of our problems completely agree .

Many cities in the world I guess they want to copy the Copenhagen success story ..with no car zone , pedestrian only streets ecc.. not building road for cars but only for pedestrians and cyclists .

And eventually we will get there too . But not in our lifetime .

Cars in the Philippines is still considered a status symbol and the lack of of a reliable good transportation do the rest . Most of the time not just a fancy way to spend your money but unfortunately is a necessity .

I'm wondering why the government instead of changing the current system which is totally wrong but instead they are trying to upgrade it .

Pnoy tried so hard to modernize the tricycle ? instead of removing them completely now Duterte is trying with Jeepneys ?

Public transportation cannot be private and cannot be profitable ..Until our government do not understand that .. we will endure more and more traffic .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdown View Post
Manila is a "planned city" however it doesn't look like it. It looks messy and sidewalks are not even maintained.
I envy New Clark City because they have spacious sidewalks and proper bike lanes.

Electricity should be underground, like in BGC. Those vendors and informal settlers should also be removed. And they should also add plants, as well as a proper bike lane. Its going to cost a lot, but its worth it imo.
Manila is a planned city of course , but if the successors didn't follow the plan or they are just there because they are good actors or good in sport .. what do you expect ?

Sidewalks and bikelanes might sound expensive to do .. but they cost less compare to streets for cars and they are easier to maintain .

I live in Florence in Italy .. but I guess most European cities are following the example of Copenhagen . In the last 10 years i saw many streets close to cars , some even closed to bikes ..pedestrian only ..

There are cameras everywhere that take pictures if a non resident enter the city center . Getting by car is impossible most of the time . and even the residents have limited window hours .
They want you to give up on cars.

I heard that some cities in Europe want to try free public transportation to tackle down pollution and traffic.

Of course public transportation should be good if you want to ban cars .

And we are not there yet .. not with public transportation .. even with the Idea of it . no official have any idea what it is . which is shocking .

dipdown, s_w_stars liked this post
Porknight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2018, 02:24 AM   #73
jp1032

Likes (Received): 2847

^takot ang Gobyerno na magbigay ng subsidy sa transport kaya hinahayaan na lang ang private like these jeepneys at buses. Kagaya sa Makati, one of the richest LGUs pero bulok ang infra paano kasi napupunta sa kung ano anong libre like cake, birthday gift, school supplies etc yung LGU budget na dapat sagutin na ng Makati residents syempre para kilala sila sa election lagi. As a worker sa Makati, nakakapanghinayang na nagbabayad ka ng taxes sa LGU nila pero wala kang nakukuhang benefits like maayos man lang na transport system. Kung wala ang mga Ayala dyan sa Makati, panigurado magulo ang urban planning dyan
jp1032 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2018, 05:09 AM   #74
palaweno

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:

Covered sidewalk is the old thing in old manila. Recto, morayta, some areas in avenida-quiapo, and chinatown,to name a few, have sidewalks covered by the buildings. Some buildings in bgc (not the highstreet mall) have the same design.
However, makati and ortigas do not have the same buildings covering the sidewalk.

MegaPotato, s_w_stars liked this post
palaweno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2018, 02:52 PM   #75
Porknight

They were smart back then .. covered sidewalks is perfect for a country where is too hot 9 months a year and it rains the rest of the year .
Old July 8th, 2018, 03:40 PM   #76
s_w_stars

Likes (Received): 4833

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdown View Post

Only in the plans. Execution and sustaining the plan is another.

There's an ongoing drive by MMDA to clear sidewalks, illegally parked vehicles, but the problem are the lgu's, the baranggay officials who seem to create ordinances contrary to city or MMDA ordinances or simply allow sidewalk vendors, illegal parking and structures in their baranggay. Watch the series from gadget addict, while he follows the MMDA.

s_w_stars no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2018, 03:55 PM   #77
s_w_stars

Likes (Received): 4833

Quote:
Catchment determines or how many people are expected to go through that station and ride the subway from there or stop at that station from wherever.
Old July 9th, 2018, 02:08 PM   #78
fretburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porknight View Post
They were smart back then .. covered sidewalks is perfect for a country where is too hot 9 months a year and it rains the rest of the year .
Quote:
Originally Posted by palaweno View Post
Covered sidewalk is the old thing in old manila. Recto, morayta, some areas in avenida-quiapo, and chinatown,to name a few, have sidewalks covered by the buildings. Some buildings in bgc (not the highstreet mall) have the same design.
However, makati and ortigas do not have the same buildings covering the sidewalk.

For many areas, we really are going backwards. Good news is, we can correct them. We're able to do it in Boracay, for example.

Quote:

Yes! Legislate! If it doesn't happen in this congress, maybe the Federated Regional States would make it mandatory for the CBDs to have it, and for those who don't have it, do it retroactively over a 1-2 year period.

Old July 9th, 2018, 02:14 PM   #79
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 3361

To me, it is pointless if this rapid transit line will only serve Makati alone when it can be extended.

Note that even if Makati is an individual city, it is still part of Metro Manila.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

palaweno liked this post
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2018, 03:21 PM   #80
jp1032

Likes (Received): 2847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila-X View Post
To me, it is pointless if this rapid transit line will only serve Makati alone when it can be extended.

Note that even if Makati is an individual city, it is still part of Metro Manila.
This proposed subway need to provide provisions for future expansions to other city and future connectivity to other lines

MegaPotato, boncedrick liked this post
jp1032 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement