German cities not damaged during WW2 nor afterwards by the Soviets - Page 10 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2019, 04:50 PM   #181
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 2353

Quote:
Originally Posted by citysquared View Post
I'm arriving in Frankfurt in mid August to go to Bayreuth. Wanted to visit Bamberg, Regensburg and Rothenburg ob der Tauber but only have a day. I know these towns deserve more time, but is it possible to at least have a nice look around in one day?
Well, if you are basically interested in a "drive through" of each place with a short walk-around and looking at a very few key sites, you can do all in a day. I've done so. If you start early in Bayreuth, drive to Bamberg in an hour and spend and hour. Drive two hours to Rotherburg, and spend an hour. Drive another two hours to Regensburg, spend an hour there. That's 8-9 hours of driving and walking around. Then head back to Bayreuth in the evening. You'll get a very basic, but decent, look at each place and see gorgeous countryside while driving.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2019, 07:18 PM   #182
citysquared

Likes (Received): 41

thank you to both of you for replies. sorry to distract from main narrative here, but then what cities should I see if I only had one day sadly and will be travelling by train ending up in Bayreuth at the end? cheers

Truth and Love Must Prevail, Václav Havel
citysquared no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2019, 07:49 AM   #183
JValjean

Likes (Received): 249

Bamberg is very close to Bayreuth and it's a main sight.
I'd recommend that you stay in that region (Upper Franconia) and that you'll go to Coburg, too. (25 min by train from Bamberg / 1 h 30 by train from Bayreuth)

citysquared liked this post
JValjean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2019, 03:53 PM   #184
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Nice to see Tuebingen on here. Gorgeous town. I studied in Reutlingen (nice to see it on this list too) for a semester years ago and we had a professor from Tuebingen. He and his wife had us over for dinner and they lived in an insanely charming historic half timbered house right in the Altstadt! I was blown away. Tuebingen came to epitomize that fairytale "German" atmosphere to me.

Wismar was bombed (2 destroyed cathedrals among). I miss miss Erfurt and Stralsund on the list. Also, one should include cities that now are in Poland and Kaliningrad (not in the map below).
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2019, 10:32 PM   #185
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Likes (Received): 1393

Erfurt is on the list. It was one of the few relatively big cities that survived quite intact. Stralsund might have been too small to get on there.

Neotradtional Architecture in Germany

Leipzig in Spring: Historicism at its finest.
TM_Germany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2019, 02:23 PM   #186
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 553

lots cities in former german demoratic republic. But i would also like to know, how many buildings god destroyed afterwards ww2, which could had been saved. I readed once, those unnecessary destruction was about the half the bombing raids on german city brought.
Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:39 AM   #187
citysquared

Likes (Received): 41

thanks for mentioning additional intact towns that I can add to my visiting itinerary.

Truth and Love Must Prevail, Václav Havel
citysquared no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, europe