Earls Court £8bn Regeneration | Hammersmith & Fulham | Demo + U/C - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 12th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #81
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

While I don't really care for the look of the rest of Earls Court...

It is a crime that they are knocking down the gorgeous front Art Deco bit.... There are so few examples of Art Deco in London, they should be listed.... At least move the front bit elsewhere...
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #82
tripleseis

Likes (Received): 34

Interesting transport article about the Earl's Court Redevelopment from London Reconnections:

http://www.londonreconnections.com/2...t-development/

Vnofd5 liked this post
tripleseis está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #83
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 401

It's an interesting discussion there.

There's quite a few people complaining about the fact the West London Line is not going to be made into a four track route through Earls Court, to recess freight trains, but I agree with the view that says such a move would not in fact help the flow of traffic along the WLL.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #84
cosmictanya
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5496

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFox View Post

It is a crime that they are knocking down the gorgeous front Art Deco bit.... There are so few examples of Art Deco in London, they should be listed.... At least move the front bit elsewhere...
i like earls court. some of it is lovely. and the bits that aren't - well fine, at least they provide vaguely affordable accommodation somewhere that isn't totally hideous.

the front should probably be moved somewhere else and saved. but in general, i'm in favour of the whole development, minus the knocking down of the council flats at gibbs green.

this, and the coach park that cuts into kensington gardens at the north, are the two things in that strip of west central london that need sorted out asap.
cosmictanya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #85
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 76562

The scheme has been rubber stamped by the Mayor:

Earls Court demolition plan approved by Mayor of London
BBC News
4 July 2013
Quote:
Plans for a 77-acre redevelopment in Earls Court and West Kensington have been approved by the Mayor of London.

The scheme involves demolishing two estates and the Earls Court Exhibition Centre.

Developers want to create four "villages" and a "high street" and say the plans will create 7,500 homes and thousands of permanent jobs.

But campaigners from Save Earl's Court West Kensington & Gibbs Green estates have opposed them.
'Massive boost'

They argued the loss of Earls Court would damage trade and that the centre should be listed.

London mayor Boris Johnson could have chosen to turn the scheme down or call for a public hearing when he met with his planning team on Wednesday.

He said he was "acutely aware of the concerns" some residents had.

But, he added: "I'm in no doubt that the development will provide a massive boost not just to this part of the capital, but to London's wider economy as well."

Labour London Assembly Member Tom Copley said on Twitter: "Very disappointed but not at all surprised that the Mayor has approved demolition of Earls Court Exhibition Centre.

"An appalling decision."

The development, straddling the boroughs of Kensington and Chelsea and Hammersmith and Fulham, is expected to take 20 years to complete.

London Mayor approves £8bn Earls Court plan
Construction Enquirer
4 July 2013
Quote:
Plans for a 77-acre redevelopment in Earls Court and West Kensington have been approved by the Mayor of London.

The ambitious proposals drawn up by Sir Terry Farrell will see the famous Earls Court Exhibition Centre demolished along with two housing estates.

This will pave the way for developer Capital & Counties to build 7,500 new homes across four new residential districts in West London.

Proposals also include include offices, leisure, hotel and retail space, as well as a new primary school, library, an integrated health centre and 5-acre public park.

The 10million sq ft plan is so large that it stretches across two London boroughs, which have already given outline approval despite some opposition from residents in the area.

London mayor Boris Johnson said: “I’m in no doubt that the development will provide a massive boost not just to this part of the capital, but to London’s wider economy as well.”

Last edited by SE9; July 4th, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #86
bertyboy
Resident Ignoramus

Likes (Received): 973

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFox View Post

It's actually Art Moderne rather than Art Deco, and as examples go, it's not a particularly good one - most of it is corrugated aluminium, hiding a multitude of sins.

The plaques from the top might be worth preserving.

Vnofd5 liked this post
bertyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #87
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 14248

Some of my first memories of London are coming to Earls Court for the Motor Show with my dad, what an amazing treat, even the tube from Kings Cross was an amazing adventure let alone the incredible Earls Court itself... all... big... and architecturey...

Since moving here I've been under it a billion times but not to it and rarely even past it. So my perspective was erring towards the "aww, knocking it down, seriously?" side, but I went over there tonight for some 'before' shots, and, ok, it's basically a dump isnt it

image hosted on flickr

Front of Earls Court by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

Even from this 'pretty face' angle I can see (now I'm not 8 and three quarters) it sort of has the overall broad brushstrokes of Art DecoModerne but with no real quality in the execution/detailing

image hosted on flickr

Earls Court One by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

this angle doesn't really inspire rallying cries for listing

image hosted on flickr

Seagrave Road Car Park - looking north by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

and from over here it's just a pile

Anyway for those who really really like looking at pictures of empty car parks here is the seagrave road site and earls court itself, but really I took the photos on the basis they'd be interesting in 5 years time rather than now...

image hosted on flickr

London Power Tunnel shaft by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

There was a small worksite in the SE corner of the car park, I wondered if it was somehow prep for Seagrave Road (aka Lillie Square) already but it turned out to be a shaft for the National Grid - London Power Tunnels project.

London construction photos: • by area/project • by year
Urban Showcase: • Valletta • Ljubljana • Funchal • Lisbon • Lanzarote •• Orkney • Bristol • England's West Country • London
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #88
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2475

I am going to miss it, shame they aren't providing space for four tracks in the Overground encasement either.
ill tonkso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #89
Vnofd5
Lord of the Cornish Pasty

Likes (Received): 274

Am I the only one who doesn't think it's that important or good looking? It's certainly not ugly but I won't miss it that much.

George Costanza, cosmictanya liked this post
Vnofd5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #90
ill tonkso

It has great sentimental value for a lot of people though, it's not the best looker but it's iconic. Like BBC television centre.
Old July 17th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #91
Vnofd5
Lord of the Cornish Pasty

Likes (Received): 274

Ah, fair enough
Old July 17th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #92
SE9
South East Nine

I've been to Earls Court but I can't remember what exhibition it was for. It was only ever just a place I would pass on my way to Heathrow, so I'm not really as attached as a local west/sw Londoner may be.

Will Faichney recently took some good photos of the condemned estates in the vicinity:

image hosted on flickr

Gibbs Green, West Kensington by Will-Faichney-Photography, on Flickr

Streetlife1 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #93
mappman1000

Likes (Received): 26

Thanks for using this, I feel it's important to record these places as many dismiss them and don't do that
mappman1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #94
delores

Likes (Received): 746

I wouldn't mind but every visual I've seen of the new Earls Court development just looks incredibly bland, it's a pity the exhibition centre could not of been incorporated more imaginatively into the design.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #95
SE9
South East Nine

A deal has been struck today between CapCo and TfL, the last hurdle. The project is now ready to go, Earls Court's fate is sealed:

- Reuters: CapCo seals deal to flatten London's Earls Court centre

- Bloomberg: CapCo Agrees With Transport for London on Earls Court Framework

- Financial Times: Discussions between Capco and TfL advance
Old July 19th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #96
derwent
ALAS POOR DORIC

Likes (Received): 8

Last time I went to an exhibition at Earl's Court I made a point of studying the detail of the building - both inside and out. For an art deco building of such importance at the time of building it is remarkably banal. There really isn;t anything on the inside of the least interest or worth saving. I for one will not regret its demise - though I do agree with the comments about sentimental value. Earl's Court WITHOUT Earl's Court is hard to imagine.
Old July 19th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #97
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10120

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwent View Post
Earl's Court WITHOUT Earl's Court is hard to imagine.
The Manorial court the place is named after is long gone.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #98
ill tonkso

To many, Earl's Court is the Exhibition Centre, though. The very name has become synonymous with certain, high profile events. The 02 is great, but it lacks that cultural association yet. It all feels a bit too, fake. Earl's Court is in a real, fancy inner city bit of London with all the shops and restaurants that sprung up around it, grass roots. The chains of Greenwich cannot emulate this.

My oldest memory of it was a Royal Artillery performance at Earl's Court 2. Saw the Foo Fighters on my 18th birthday at 1. Been attending Eurogamer in the smaller rooms every year for the past 4. Not sure where Eurogamer is going now, if it is East London that will be a royal pain in the arse (right now, we change from the slow Portsmouth train to the Overground at CJ).

They really need to revise the Overground provision though. Leave space in the 'tunnel' for four tracks, passive provision.
Old July 19th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #99
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 14083

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill tonkso View Post
It has great sentimental value for a lot of people though, it's not the best looker but it's iconic. Like BBC television centre.
and in engineer terms is enormously important historically.

Quote:
My oldest memory of it was a Royal Artillery performance at Earl's Court 2. Saw the Foo Fighters on my 18th birthday at 1. Been attending Eurogamer in the smaller rooms every year for the past 4. Not sure where Eurogamer is going now, if it is East London that will be a royal pain in the arse (right now, we change from the slow Portsmouth train to the Overground at CJ).
the exhibitions held at earls court contribute £1 billion a year to the british economy apparently - largely to british manufacturing and the creative industries, actual wealth creators. there's nowhere else for them in london which means we need a new exhibition centre, or lose that to birmingham and glasgow, neither of which have the international cachet of london. most of the people against it who are politicians oppose the project on the basis of a long term benefit cost ratio. there's more than a few politicians who would CPO the exhibition centre if they could.

in terms of the local businesses it's devastating. many hotels in the area exist for delegates going to earls court, they aren't going to be there any more. a lot of local businesses will go bust.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #100
ill tonkso

Are you talking about how the whole thing (1 and 2) is rafted over a myriad of Rail junctions and mess?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
arena, building, capco, court, earls, empress, london, regeneration, state

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: