New London Bridge Station - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure

Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure Shaping space, urbanity and mobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:47 AM   #21
Manuel

Likes (Received): 33

No major changes since the first proposed LBS. the design is ok but I'm a bit dissapointed by the the small capacity improvments.

The office dev is supposed to pay part of the redevelopment so why not building a large scale project with the entire surface covered?
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:06 PM   #22
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen
again, i wouldnt even think that congestion is any worse anywhere else in the country than it is in the south. i mean BNS had to close last year due to overcrowding. the entiree system was crippled. i just wonder would things be allowed to get this bad down in that area?

againm, as it is a congestion/pax issue, again i am just wondering is this development just targetting passenger capacity or also track capacity?
Trust me, it gets bad at London Victoria....there are 19 commuter platforms and 4 London Underground platforms, so 23 platforms in total but handles a whopping 161,343,000 each year! Thats 5.3x more people than Birmingham New Street has 19 platforms:

London Victoria: 7,014,913 per annum/platform or 19,218 people per platform per day of the year
Birmingham New Street: 1,607,210 per annum/platform or 4,403 people per platform per day of the year

Trust me - Victoria gets bad, especially at the London Underground part of the station - it regularly has to close because it just gets too busy. It has yet to see re-modelling work to allow it to handle the immense volumes that go through it.

Like I keep saying though - all problem points across the network should be handled.
nick_taylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:39 PM   #23
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 572

How are passenger numbers measured? If it is number of people boarding/alighting then terminals will have greater numbers than comparative mainlines because mainlines have people still on the train.

Is there any additiona track capacity being created here?
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:07 PM   #24
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 10

Indeed that is one thing to take into consideration with say London Bridge, Victoria and Birmingham New Street. Most services continue onwards at BNS, while at Victoria they all terminate and half do so at London Bridge while the other half continue to two other termini a km or so away.

I don't think there is any added track capacity, but more concourse capacity to the platforms. The more efficient this is, the greater the flow and capacity of the station.
nick_taylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:29 PM   #25
Bob

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic
Is there any additiona track capacity being created here?
Rather than 6 through platforms and 9 terminating ones there will be 9 through platforms and 6 terminating ones. This setup does allow better train flow. There will be additional track capacity to the west of the station including doubling the single track bottleneck on the Thameslink lines.
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:49 PM   #26
dom

Likes (Received): 9

I think this station looks the business. Coupled with the new London Bridge Tower and London Bridge House this area in Southwark will be a world class hub of glass.
dom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:57 PM   #27
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 5

Looks decent but lacks a bit of flair and isn't "wow"

Still, a vast improvement and hopefully this area of London will get a real boost. What are the time-scales for this project? Will it be starting soon?
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:50 PM   #28
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
Rather than 6 through platforms and 9 terminating ones there will be 9 through platforms and 6 terminating ones. This setup does allow better train flow. There will be additional track capacity to the west of the station including doubling the single track bottleneck on the Thameslink lines.

What this means, is that a lot of serives from South London and beyond that currently terminate at London Bridge will now continue accross the river giving them better access to the City and Mid Town, without having to use the tube, thereby relieving some of the pressure on the City branch of the Northern Line.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:52 PM   #29
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 782

I think I read that the Thameslink project alone could increase rail capacity into London by about 15%.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:44 AM   #30
delores

Likes (Received): 727

so when is this project projected to start? if ever?
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:38 PM   #31
Bob

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores
so when is this project projected to start? if ever?
The Department for Transport are involved with this so who knows. I understand Network Rail have been rebuilding a project team in the last few months after it had been reduced to just the skeleton staff after they failed to get planning permission with the first design. A lot depends on London Bridge Station and the surrounding works which are subject to a public inquiry, now under way. Theoretically, and taking this from a timescale suggested last year 2011 is not out of the question for completion with construction starting early 2008.
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #32
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13325

Bump.

Work is starting fairly soon I presume?

The Shard itself will begin rising in December/January and this new station is integral to the tower.
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #33
dronkula

Likes (Received): 437

I thought the London Bridge Thameslink work wasn't due to start until phase 2 of Thameslink - after 2012?
dronkula está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #34
Yorkshire Boy

Likes (Received): 1028

London Bridge Station | Southwark | U/C

LONDON BRIDGE STATION

Hey guys, I just found that the other thread was quite hard to find, and as seen we dont have a thread for this in the London sub forum that maybe we probably should. Anywho, this is taken from the thread in the Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure sub forum.

Not sure if any of the details are out of date, but the renders remain appropriate.

This station is considered to be the world's oldest terminus in existance: its been operating since 1836 and is now 170 years old. It could also be considered the first elevated station in the world: the entire station is built above street level of several million bricks. Currently the commuter section of the station is split between 15 platforms: 1-6 are through platforms (to the other London termini of London Cannon Street and London Charing Cross) and 8-16 are terminal platforms. The station is served by South Eastern, Thameslink and Southern train services.

Although one of the less used of the London termini (there are 13), the commuter rail section of the station is used by some 48mn people, while the Northern and Jubilee London Underground lines are used by some 44mn it is used by some 47,685,000 48mn commuters, meaning each year 92mn people use the station or roughly 300,000 each weekday.

The 300m+ London Bridge Tower will partially go over this station while the office block shown in the pictures is still being re-designed to accomodate the current historical aspects of the terminal and the office market. The station is currently not heavily congested, but with the vast Thames Gateway project, London Bridge Station is set to get busier.

Client: Network Rail
Size: 750,000sq ft

This 12 acre scheme for London Bridge Station was developed following a masterplanning study prepared by tp bennett architects. The study was based on a thorough appraisal of urban design, town planning, rights to light and commercial viability, and provided Network Rail (then Railtrack) with clear, concise recommendations for the redevelopment of the station.

The design scheme fundamentally reconfigures and enlarges the existing station, providing for 50% uplift in passenger numbers. It also incorporates a major new retail concourse and a landmark air rights office building above the station. bennett urban planning provided town planning advice and coordinated an extraordinarily large consultation exercise necessary to accommodate the views of the many local interest groups and interested national bodies. The scheme gained detailed planning and listed building consent in December 2000.

With the Shard:

Yorkshire Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #35
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13325

Sorry, but:

(a) this isn't U/C yet

and (b) we already have a thread in the transport forum. Why the need for a duplicate?
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #36
Yorkshire Boy

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
Sorry, but:

(a) this isn't U/C yet

and (b) we already have a thread in the transport forum. Why the need for a duplicate?
I did state in the first paragraph that it's quite hard to find, and seen as this area is becoming quite active then it would be easier just to have another thread in the London Sub forum. Move it/delete it/rename it if you really want, I just thought it would be good to have one here. Don't you?

Last edited by Yorkshire Boy; October 5th, 2009 at 03:05 PM.
Yorkshire Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #37
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 76363

I think it would be best to stick to the thread in the Transport forum.

There isn't any construction activity going on now at the station, so this shouldn't be in the construction forum.

Furthermore, with other construction threads being regularly updated, this thread will soon fall away and be forgotten.
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #38
pmun

Likes (Received): 16

Thanks anyway Yorkshire Boy for the pictures and information.
pmun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #39
Snowy

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmun View Post
Thanks anyway Yorkshire Boy for the pictures and information.
Same here, you've obviously put a fair bit of effort into it and it was an interesting read.
Snowy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #40
london lad

Likes (Received): 3498

Yeah well done for effort for researching the project etc.

Probably worth locking it though as this one already exists and this station development is not going to happen until 2012.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=320395
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
london