Newcastle and the North East RETAIL - City Centre, MetroCentre, Suburban Shopping, Out of Town Retail Parks, etc - Page 254 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old May 19th, 2012, 01:06 AM   #5061
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 752

Isn't only people over 60 you go there in anyway?

Anyway apparently the only Clinton cards closing in the North East are as far away as Durham so the ones in and around Newcastle are safe. So that means Clinton's new store in ES is safe. That is for now and providing they find a buyer.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #5062
twinperformance11

Likes (Received): 0

I was walking through Eldon Square yesterday and was approached by a marketing company conducting a questionnaire on behalf of the centre.

One of the questions was which shops do you visit, but more interestingly, "which of these would you like to see" with the option to select a range of retailers. I can't remember the full list be I remember Ted Baker and Zara being on the list.
twinperformance11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #5063
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Isn't only people over 60 you go there in anyway?

Anyway apparently the only Clinton cards closing in the North East are as far away as Durham so the ones in and around Newcastle are safe. So that means Clinton's new store in ES is safe. That is for now and providing they find a buyer.
On a card associated note - the unit in Royal Quays Retail Park that sold cards etc, was it called something like Celebrations?, closed a month or so ago.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #5064
Byker Scotty
Byker

Likes (Received): 15

the royal quays card shop was a birthdays
Byker Scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #5065
sjhoward

Likes (Received): 0

I noticed today that the new Lakeland store at the Metrocentre has opened - though it only takes up half of the old Currys frontage, so there's still an empty (half) unit.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 01:43 AM   #5066
Byker Scotty
Byker

Likes (Received): 15

the former royal quays birthdays is opening as a Hallmark card store next week -cant imagine that being very cheap!
Byker Scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 04:51 PM   #5067
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1121

Corbitts Jewellers

Not sure if this is best here, pubs or restaurants [though that might be optimistic]. I understand that Apartment Group has [predictably] taken over the old Corbitts Jewellers premises on Collingwood St and is well advanced converting it into a kebab shop. Nice fit for the Diamond Strip...mmmm
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:27 PM   #5068
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
Corbitts Jewellers

Not sure if this is best here, pubs or restaurants [though that might be optimistic]. I understand that Apartment Group has [predictably] taken over the old Corbitts Jewellers premises on Collingwood St and is well advanced converting it into a kebab shop. Nice fit for the Diamond Strip...mmmm
Probably best off in here, I think fast food is rightly placed in the retail section. Anyway thats not what we want, we have too many kebab shops now. I'm not adverse to takeaway shop either, just give us something we don't have 20 times over.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old June 4th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #5069
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

If a Manchester/Sheffield style kebab shop opened in Newcastle it would blow all the ones already here out of the water.

The difference in quality and price between down there and the N.East is ridiculous. I guess as a result of the larger asian populations in those cities.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #5070
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
If a Manchester/Sheffield style kebab shop opened in Newcastle it would blow all the ones already here out of the water.

The difference in quality and price between down there and the N.East is ridiculous. I guess as a result of the larger asian populations in those cities.
When I went to Tunisia (2007) I had the best kebab I have ever had there. Also worth noting I had the best Lasagne I have ever had over there as well.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #5071
anonymous1

Likes (Received): 24

The best kebab in Newcastle I've had is from Dhesi Grill on Heaton Park Road. It beats any kebab from London that I've had. Before it changed years ago, Boti on the West Road was good too.

What I find surprising is how Newcastle lacks high end stores. This is the case across many 'provincial' cities in the UK. I know a lot of it is driven by tourism, but, for example, Florence has a very similar population to Newcastle, yet it has stores by Burberry, Max Mara, Louis Vuitton and Prada. Maybe they have a wealthier local population too.

Whereas, as far as standalone stores go, Newcastle seems only to have Vivienne Westwood. I know Cruise and Fenwick stock some higher end stuff.
anonymous1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #5072
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
The best kebab in Newcastle I've had is from Dhesi Grill on Heaton Park Road. It beats any kebab from London that I've had. Before it changed years ago, Boti on the West Road was good too.

What I find surprising is how Newcastle lacks high end stores. This is the case across many 'provincial' cities in the UK. I know a lot of it is driven by tourism, but, for example, Florence has a very similar population to Newcastle, yet it has stores by Burberry, Max Mara, Louis Vuitton and Prada. Maybe they have a wealthier local population too.

Whereas, as far as standalone stores go, Newcastle seems only to have Vivienne Westwood. I know Cruise and Fenwick stock some higher end stuff.
Florence has a much bigger tourist trade than Ncl and IMHO a lot more liquid cash. Let s be honest Florence has something that Newcastle doesn't. Also, and I can't stand this up, Northern Italy always seems rather wealthy.
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #5073
merleb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:

Most of the shops are too expensive and over-priced as it is.

If anything we need cheaper shops and cheaper goods.
merleb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #5074
Seamaster
BANNED

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
It's changed its name to Yasir since it was on Restaurants From Hell, but I always thought The Afghan on Westmorland Road did the best kebab in town. Since the demise of the Newcastle Kebab Centre on Haymarket, anyway.

Al Sultan up the West Road gets plenty of love on here, and deservedly so.
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #5075
anonymous1

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by merleb View Post

I think there's a market for both. As long as both exist, then it's fine. Some people might like spending a lot of clothes, but buy cheap food for example, others might prefer Heston Blumenthal stuff from Waitrose but shop in Primark.
anonymous1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:35 AM   #5076
merleb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
It's changed its name to Yasir since it was on Restaurants From Hell, but I always thought The Afghan on Westmorland Road did the best kebab in town. Since the demise of the Newcastle Kebab Centre on Haymarket, anyway.

Al Sultan up the West Road gets plenty of love on here, and deservedly so.
They should have changed it to "Yasir I can Boogie".
Old June 5th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #5077
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:

Really. Our streets are already awash with pound land stores, cheap shoe shops, the likes of Primark, TK Maxx, H&M, we also have the cheaper supermarkets, Lidl, Aldi, Heron foods etc.

Your first sentence is what makes more sense. The problem is that when we do have stores that offer good quality products the cost of them are just obscene compared to people's wages. That goes from the sausages for our sardines, to the shirts on our backs.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old June 5th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #5078
merleb
BANNED

Large punnets of strawburries for 1 piond.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/larg...online-1235050
Old June 5th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #5079
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Large punnets of strawburries for 1 piond.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/larg...online-1235050
I never trust those sites for those sort of purchases. Often they are just quoting a reduction price someone has saw which means the Strawberry's are reduced because they are going out of date.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old June 7th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #5080
flange

Likes (Received): 6055

List of Clinton Cards stores acquired by Lakeshore Lending Ltd

List of Clinton Cards stores remaining under control of administrators Zolfo Cooper
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
high street, high streets, newcastle, newcastle retail, retail, retail - ne england, retail - north east, retailers, shop, shopping, shops, suburbs, temporary thread