Newcastle and the North East RETAIL - City Centre, MetroCentre, Suburban Shopping, Out of Town Retail Parks, etc - Page 344 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 25th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #6861
jkkne
Northumberland Import
 
jkkne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hexham
Posts: 1,554
Likes (Received): 82

I don't suppose there's much hope of us getting a Booths?

I would be beyond delighted
jkkne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 25th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #6862
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator
 
newcastlepubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 12,006
Likes (Received): 1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian lad View Post
New Eastern European shop specialising in Russian, Latvian and Lithuanian produce is opening on 1st of September, 127 Clayton st.

Anyone knows which unit it is?
Cool, be able to buy some great bread, please god they stock some good Russian or Polish porters
newcastlepubs está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #6863
blablabla500
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 75
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Welsh View Post
I took some photos today in town. The Tesco Express is clearly not as busy as they were hoping, as they had 2 trollies full of discounted products and more staff than customers this afternoon.
Perhaps it will see more custom when the students are back but buried down on Saville Row doesn't feel an obvious place for a Tesco. Just feels like there wont be much passing trade down there otherwise.
blablabla500 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #6864
Russian lad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
Posts: 65
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
Cool, be able to buy some great bread, please god they stock some good Russian or Polish porters
You can buy good bread and some Polish/Latvian/Lithuanian beers in Malgosia in Newgate Shopping Centre. Although the shop looks like a corner shop in Eastern Europe in 90s, they do stock huge amount of Easter European produce including cured meats, diary (kefir, curd cheese), breads etc. One thing they don't have is proper Russian kvass (rye bread soft drink). Anyway, I'm not sure whether the new shop will be successful as the present one caters for most of my needs.

Isn't that unit quite small?
Russian lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #6865
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator
 
newcastlepubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 12,006
Likes (Received): 1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian lad View Post
You can buy good bread and some Polish/Latvian/Lithuanian beers in Malgosia in Newgate Shopping Centre. Although the shop looks like a corner shop in Eastern Europe in 90s, they do stock huge amount of Easter European produce including cured meats, diary (kefir, curd cheese), breads etc. One thing they don't have is proper Russian kvass (rye bread soft drink). Anyway, I'm not sure whether the new shop will be successful as the present one caters for most of my needs.

Isn't that unit quite small?
The Polish shop around halfway down Clayton closed, but Malgosia is great. Fantastic Lithuanian bread [I think it lands each Thursday] - evocative of grandfather. The beers are good and they have the usual range of lagers and a'hem strong beers. What they don't have [and I ve not seen here] are the Polish porters - zywiec etc, which are absolutely fantastic.

I ve never seen kvass here.
newcastlepubs está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #6866
Squipper
Registered User
 
Squipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,236
Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian lad View Post
Isn't that unit quite small?
If I have my numbers right it's this one and looks a reasonable size:

http://goo.gl/maps/BcG8U
__________________


Squipper
Royal Air Force
Survival Equipment Fitter
Squipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #6867
ph1l1p14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 146
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkne View Post
But you'd think Sainsburys could attract the well to do Low Fell and Whickham market. It's a fairly well off area under served unless you go to Washington or Gateshead Tesco.

The last refit was an utter mess in my humble opinion and the entry/exit and car park layout is poor.

I had heard Gerry Storey the TV store manager was brought in from high performing Arnison Centre (a hideous store) to help TV go flagship but obviously not paid off yet 1

Galleries Sainsburys is a great example of them getting it right
My friend who was on the Sainsburys Graduate Scheme was transfered to the Team Valley Store and he said that it has the highest takings on chilled products than any Sainsburys in the area and that Arnison Centre takes the most overall. Sainsburys Washington also houses the regional managers offices so naturally that's going to be a store which would have a good refurbishment!
ph1l1p14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #6868
Jazmincleo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 361
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph1l1p14 View Post
My friend who was on the Sainsburys Graduate Scheme was transfered to the Team Valley Store and he said that it has the highest takings on chilled products than any Sainsburys in the area and that Arnison Centre takes the most overall. Sainsburys Washington also houses the regional managers offices so naturally that's going to be a store which would have a good refurbishment!
When I lived in Durham I would shop nowhere else. Lidl for basics and offers and Sainsburys for everything else.

We've a Sainsburys in Gosforth but its more the supermarket size but its always packed. It's more expensive than Asda but does have its benefits and i prefer it. For a small store it has a deli counter, something the larger Asda Gosforth doesn't have. It's handy for popping into when visiting other shops and actually helped transform the high street from the previous incarnation as More Stores and Kwik Save. It made people move away from Asda and back to the High Street. This could only be seen as a good thing. Whereas many small retailers dread a Sainsburys, the Gosforth Shopping centre was looking quite unloved and sad before they arrived. As their flagship tenant, they've moved things up a notch and even the shopping centre had a spring clean and facelift following their arrival.
__________________

Superunknown90 liked this post
Jazmincleo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #6869
petech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 61
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer1 View Post
Why would anyone want to shop at Sainsburys? Overpriced and over-rated.
Funny, I find the prices at Tesco (especially the new one) to be on the high side. I tried a few of weekly shops there after it reopened and it was on average £10-£20 more than my usual.

In regards to people using Sainsbury's at T.V. I also wouldn't discount the "just popping in on my way home" factor by it just being a short detour off the A1.
petech no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #6870
BigLebowski
Registered User
 
BigLebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 1,311
Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
The Polish shop around halfway down Clayton closed.
They relocated to Adelaide Terrace in Benwell... there's a Polish butchers there too.
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #6871
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator
 
newcastlepubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 12,006
Likes (Received): 1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
They relocated to Adelaide Terrace in Benwell... there's a Polish butchers there too.
Ah thanks for that. I ll have a look.
newcastlepubs está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #6872
Jazmincleo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 361
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by petech View Post
Funny, I find the prices at Tesco (especially the new one) to be on the high side. I tried a few of weekly shops there after it reopened and it was on average £10-£20 more than my usual.

In regards to people using Sainsbury's at T.V. I also wouldn't discount the "just popping in on my way home" factor by it just being a short detour off the A1.
Tesco is almost penny to penny, the same price as Sainsburys

I, like many people do my shopping in Asda and Sainsburys based on weekly offers .......

I do the bulk of my basic shopping in Aldi - Aldi can't be beaten on price and quality.

The CoOp has a weekly loss leading toilet roll offer. Branded Toilet rolls are cheaper in the CoOp than any other store. It's designed to get you in the door and has been on weekly offer (different brands each week) for about 2 years.
Jazmincleo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #6873
Portland Mike
Registered User
 
Portland Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Gosforth
Posts: 43
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazmincleo View Post
When I lived in Durham I would shop nowhere else. Lidl for basics and offers and Sainsburys for everything else.

We've a Sainsburys in Gosforth but its more the supermarket size but its always packed. It's more expensive than Asda but does have its benefits and i prefer it. For a small store it has a deli counter, something the larger Asda Gosforth doesn't have. It's handy for popping into when visiting other shops and actually helped transform the high street from the previous incarnation as More Stores and Kwik Save. It made people move away from Asda and back to the High Street. This could only be seen as a good thing. Whereas many small retailers dread a Sainsburys, the Gosforth Shopping centre was looking quite unloved and sad before they arrived. As their flagship tenant, they've moved things up a notch and even the shopping centre had a spring clean and facelift following their arrival.
Yes agree about the shopping centre looking more loved than in the past and the general footfall of browsers & shoppers appears higher than a few years ago which is good news for all traders in the area.
The Deli counter in JS does give customers a degree of choice when selecting cooked meats/cheese rather than the pre packed of the shelf chilled option. However it requires a member of staff to be on hand at all times of store trading and it is costly to run this type of department unless busy all the time. Its a shame but more and more small to medium sized stores are moving away from deli depts & adding extra chilled cabinets for pre-packed goods. Asda also had a deli but they closed this down last year and now use the counter space for pizzas.
The high street in Gosforth may have a few challenges in store over the next year or so with Marks & Spencer taking over the Multi York site and Asda looking at having fuel pumps in the car park.
Portland Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #6874
The Mole
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 586
Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Mike View Post
The high street in Gosforth may have a few challenges in store over the next year or so with Marks & Spencer taking over the Multi York site and Asda looking at having fuel pumps in the car park.
What is the multi york site?
The Mole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:25 AM   #6875
Squipper
Registered User
 
Squipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,236
Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
What is the multi york site?
Junction of Great North Road and Hollywood Avenue in Gosforth.

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/nor...sforth-4395240
__________________


Squipper
Royal Air Force
Survival Equipment Fitter
Squipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #6876
Jazmincleo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 361
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Mike View Post
YAsda also had a deli but they closed this down last year and now use the counter space for pizzas

It apparently was nothing to do with a corporate decision to sell pizza

More to do with being told the deli wasn't errm, how do I put it, fit for purpose
Jazmincleo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #6877
Steve Ellwood
Registered User
 
Steve Ellwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne/Whitley Bay
Posts: 43,023
Likes (Received): 4749

moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
This one:

2013/0531/01/DET | Demolition of existing premises and erection of three storey building, with dormers to north, south and east, comprising 2 retail units (Class A1), 4 flats (Class C3) and 2 flats in multiple occupation (Class C4), with associated access and servicing, cycle parking and bin storage as amended by plans received 6 June and supplemented by e mails received 5 and 6 June 2013 and plans received 26 June 2013 and revised elevation to Simonside Terrace received 19 July 2013 | Motor World 209 Chillingham Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE6 5LJ

Reference 2013/0531/01/DET
Alternative Reference PP-02535270
Application Received Mon 08 Apr 2013
Address Motor World 209 Chillingham Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE6 5LJ
Proposal Demolition of existing premises and erection of three storey building, with dormers to north, south and east, comprising 2 retail units (Class A1), 4 flats (Class C3) and 2 flats in multiple occupation (Class C4), with associated access and servicing, cycle parking and bin storage as amended by plans received 6 June and supplemented by e mails received 5 and 6 June 2013 and plans received 26 June 2013 and revised elevation to Simonside Terrace received 19 July 2013
Status Pending Consideration
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk...=MKTKP8BSAP000

Much discussed by the Planning Committee in view of numerous local objections. It is on the agenda for discussion at the next meeting, 3rd August 2013 with a recommendation from the Planning Officers for a grant - see details @ http://democracy.newcastle.gov.uk/ie...MId=4993&Ver=4
Granted Conditionally - 23 conditions - 27th August 2013
__________________
Regards

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #6878
geordiejon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,667
Likes (Received): 46

Nice Pizza too and a bargain.
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #6879
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator
 
newcastlepubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 12,006
Likes (Received): 1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Granted Conditionally - 23 conditions - 27th August 2013
That was quick - licence app in already...

http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk...=MS6PWHBS0IG00

Wonder if this ought to be in retail too?
newcastlepubs está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #6880
battlefieldjohn
Idle waster.
 
battlefieldjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,215
Likes (Received): 146

When Asda was built they wanted to use the little bit of land that we knew as the trolley bus terminus at the top of Hollywood Ave. as the entrance for the public and deliveries.

The council refused to sell them the land so the bought the top 4 houses on their side of the road, numbers 101,103,105 and 107 I think.

Asda paid them double the price of the houses at the time to persuade them to move. Then the council changed their mind and sold them the trolley bus terminus!

There is housing on both sides of the car park and if I lived there I wouldn't be very happy with 24 hrs a day petrol station at the bottom of my garden.
battlefieldjohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Tags
high street, high streets, newcastle, newcastle retail, retail, retail - ne england, retail - north east, retailers, shop, shopping, shops, suburbs, temporary thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:26 PM. • styleid: 14


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us