SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Stadia Designers Cup ★★★★ SR Brașov

45K views 176 replies 17 participants last post by  maxi1921 
#1 · (Edited)

^^
Huh... Of course I had to left everything for the last moment, so keep inform me when you find any failures in regulations, website, etc. Thanks!​

Anyway...

Hello everyone in this beautiful, post-World Cup evening! Blah, blah... I`m pretty sure you`re interested in details of competition task, right? ;) Usualy I was posting a whole or almost whole regulations here, but this time I`ll share just the most important part, ok? Full regulations and direct link to the land plot model you`ll find HERE... And now - the frosting on the cake! Competition task!

3. Subject of the Competition

The essential of the Competition is to design a concept of a hypothetical new stadium in the City of Brasov which is going to be a successor of historical Silviu Ploeșteanu Stadium - current homeground of the official Competition partner, namely SR Brașov.

The proposal concept must meet the major conditions of 3rd category of UEFA Stadium Infrastructure Regulations.

The proposal concept must meet Organizers and the host of hypothetical new stadium (SR Brașov) expectations, which are as follows:
  • to refer to the history and heritage of host-club SR Brașov, City of Brasov and historical region of Transylvania;
  • to fit in the area on the site plot designated by Organizers;
  • to have a capacity between 18 000-20 000 seats;
  • to keep all functions of so called “main stand” on the north, in the stand along the Strada Stadionului;
  • to keep orientation of the playing field along west-east axis;
  • to revamp old or build a brand new facility (resembling a mountain cabin) in the west corner of the site which would accommodate a club store, restaurant/pub, mini-hotel and ticket sales point (no floor plans required);
  • to keep an unobstructed view on Tâmpa mountain and Carpathians landscape from main stand.

The proposal concept must also meet the Supporters of SR Brașov expectations, which are as follows:
  • to keep stands behind the goals as close to the playing field as possible;
  • to make the stadium patron’s name “Silviu Ploeşteanu” be visible on the stadium’s facade (potential commercial name must involve patron’s name);
  • to focus around the theme of mountainous landscape and lifestyle;
  • to preserve the “Rezistenta din Munti” mural from south-west corner of current stadium and implement it into new one, preferably in the same corner;
  • to give it a “Galben-negrii” (yellow-black) feeling as a whole.

Competition branding and Competition partners logos must be well exposed in the proposal concept interior, e.g. on LED adboards around the playing field.
---
Update no. 1

Before
[...]
  • to keep playing field in unchanged position
After
[...]
  • to keep orientation of the playing field along west-east axis
Update no. 2

Before
The agenda of the Competition is as follows:

• [...]
  • deadline date: 30 IX 2018, 23:59.59 CET;
  • competition entries verification and potential corrections: 1 X 2018;
  • public and jury vote: 2 X 2018, 18:00 CET - 14 X 2018, 23:59.59 CET;
  • final results announcement: 11 XI 2018, 20:00 CET.
After

• [...]
  • deadline date: 28 X 2018, 23:59.59 CET;
  • competition entries verification and potential corrections: 29 X 2018;
  • public and jury vote: 30 X 2018, 18:00 CET - 9 XI 2018, 23:59.59 CET;
Update no. 3

Before

• [...]
After

• [...]
  • deadline date: 4 XI 2018, 23:59.59 CET;
  • competition entries verification and potential corrections: 5 XI 2018;
  • public and jury vote: 6 XI 2018, 18:00 CET - 16 XI 2018, 23:59.59 CET;
  • final results announcement: 18 XI 2018, 20:00 CET.

See less See more
#73 ·
Gorąco zachęcam do wzięcia udziału w konkursie! ;) W razie jakichkolwiek pytań, jestem do Twojej dyspozycji.

Anybody is close to finish his design? Maybe someone is already working on presentation? How are things in general? ;)

#78 ·
^^ How much time would you need? @Liverpudlian82, @Armas Lohikeitto? Same question.

I admit, shortening competition to two and a half month was a risky move, so I`m ready to move deadline date at least for two weeks to match usual three months run.

#81 ·
I should probably update you all - things have, como se dice, not been going so well. I had to put this project on the backburner for a couple of weeks to deal with other projects. As such, I have 0% chance of making Sept. 30. That being said, modelling is nearly complete, and once I come up with a facade I'm happy with (art imitating life, eh?), I will be ready to start rendering.

All in all, I will probably be finished mid October, but I'm not really pushing at the moment. I'll get done when I get done.

#82 ·
Im in the same boat. I started well and got the seating bowl, seating pattern and roof structure mostly complete but I’ve really lost a lot of motivation to continue on with it. I completed the Nz National stadium in the mean time but now I don’t have any motivation for any project at this stage which isn’t normal for me. I’ve tried starting all sorts of projects but most of them I stop within a week. So I’m unlikely to finish this project at all :(

#89 ·

Update no.2

Before

• [...]
  • deadline date: 30 IX 2018, 23:59.59 CET;
  • competition entries verification and potential corrections: 1 X 2018;
  • public and jury vote: 2 X 2018, 18:00 CET - 14 X 2018, 23:59.59 CET;
After

• [...]

#95 ·
Is there a particular statement or phrase that brings a degree of pride to the club and the city? I know that may be a little bit confusing, but something like this?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CL3eLIMUcAA_pRY.jpg

As for my project, I've just finished modelling the crowd which is a sure sign I'm almost done. I have a bit of texturing work left to do, a couple of small amendments and a few ground-level improvements around the main stand. I should be all done in a day or so.

I'm going to be rendering this a lot differently than I have in the past. For each shot, I will take the main model view, a view from my model of the Carpathian mountains, and a crowd view. This should give me a lot more range to mess around in post-processing than doing it all at once.

I know I say this every time, but I really do want to spend a lot more time on post-processing this time around. My design may seem "boring" but I think that it's some of the best work that I've done. It should look absolutely beautiful when it's all rendered.

#96 ·
Is there a particular statement or phrase that brings a degree of pride to the club and the city? I know that may be a little bit confusing, but something like this?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CL3eLIMUcAA_pRY.jpg
Great question!

We havea few phrase such as that, will be listing them bellow:

1. În orașul de sub Tâmpa este o echipă mare (In the city from the foot at Mount Tâmpa there is a big team) - this is the 1st verse in our anthem.

2. Aveți de apărat onoarea de a fi stegari (You must defend the honor of being stegari) - said by ex-player Nicolae Pescaru before a local derby

3. Ei doar au stele cu noroc, / Și prigoniri de soarte, / Noi nu avem nici timp, nici loc, / Și nu cunoaștem moarte. Pentru că noi suntem stegari! - the first five verses are from a Romanian poem, and the ending suited the overall tone of it and what we are about. There is not time for us, there is no place for us, and we know no death.

#98 ·
So I had some time this afternoon and really got to work on those ground-level improvements. I am really happy with how they turned out - it's pretty simplistic but it looks nice.

As you can see, the roof is free-standing, supported by twelve vertical pillars. You can see one of these in the render. This will keep the view of Tampa mountain nearly fully unobstructed, as seen below

#99 ·
So with a month to go, I've got some good news! Modelling work is officially completed! I've also completed a rough plan for the presentation boards, which tells me I will need 49 renders. Fun times coming up, but at least most of those are small and quick. Crowd shots, background shots, that sort of thing.

I'm expecting rendering to take about two weeks, with post-processing and presentation taking another week on that. The great thing about that is I still have a week or so to clean things up, consult on my presentation and not rush at all.

#100 ·
So I have good news and bad news. My Nanna always said, "bad news first because the good news is probably a lie", so let's get the bad news out of the way.

I am going to have to do more modelling work. My lighting is awful. A lot of textures didn't work as well as I expected. The concert stage lighting works half the time. Thankfully, none of that should be too time consuming.

The good news is that I think my rendering timeframe was wildly conservative. I think I could knock half of the renders out tomorrow, quite easily. I did a sample render of my scene, seen below, and that took 8 minutes. It's quite finicky to get everything right as you basically need to set up the scene each time you do a render. That being said, the results (for a test shot) are phenomenal. Look at those beams from the lights on the right!

#108 ·

Just a beautiful landscape shot for today. I received a PM asking how it was done, so I figure it's better to answer in here. I used the Geo-location tool and add more imagery. It took a fair bit of time to get everything right but I think the end result will be well worth it.

Bonus, you can see the site in the centre near the bottom of the image.

#111 ·
Just a small update from me today. Rendering has been going pretty well - only 23 to go. I've been taking my time with it, but a lot of the renders still to do are pretty basic.

I had an awful problem with vray for a while - I only got a black screen when trying to render my crowd layer. If anyone else gets this problem, make sure you leave Layer 0 on, Vray really didn't like when I switched that layer off.

I managed to do a test of my post-processing technique and I was really happy with it. Some of it didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but it was only ever going to be a quick and simple job. In a week or so, I'll get to do it for real.

So, fingers crossed, as long as my computer doesn't die I should be alright. I'm more worried about the weather though - 32 and humid on Wednesday down to 20 and rain for the rest of the week. Nice and cosy, I might end up tucking myself into bed and forgetting about this!

And it's not just you MaTTiC, it's been insanely slow for me too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.