Projects & Discussion | SYDNEY | General Public Transport Thread - Page 903 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2020, 07:22 AM   #18041
L2
In the ****

Likes (Received): 1741

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtD View Post
I think the Richmond line is in the category of "there's too much wrong with it, so it needs a whole rebuild, so we're not going to spend money on it until we rebuild it".
It does it's job, providing the same good old 30 minute service from first train to last, 7 days per week

Just look at the other single track electrified line in the network (Unanderra to Kiama) which suffers from not having enough power capacity to properly operate the existing level of service on it. Which is why that when two 8-car trains cross, only one is allowed to accelerate at a time, and only at a low speed

SydneyWorks liked this post
L2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2020, 06:02 AM   #18042
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
And are there any other road crossings in this country used by EMUs that don't have boom barriers fitted? Despite being famous for it's crossings there are none in the Melbourne system and haven't been any since the 1990s. Never noticed one anywhere else in recent years.

Does my idea of putting in boom barriers at a level crossing on a quiet private access road seem wasteful? Well maybe, but if you go to Victoria you can find level crossing installations with boomgates and full safety protection on gravel roads that lead to a locked gate that's the back entry to someone's farm. So this one seems like it would be more useful than that
Given the Tilt Train is an EMU and continues all the way to Rockhampton, I imagine there are many unprotected rail crossings north of the Sunshine Coast. Even within the Intercity network I've managed to find a couple, generally providing access to isolated rural properties or as a secondary access route (note: I only went looking as far as Cooroy).

Stop Signs:
Glass House Mountains (Sunshine Coast) https://goo.gl/maps/mZ5uPe96FVBoUKmp6
Kulangoor (Sunshine Coast) https://goo.gl/maps/6f9jWZ5rfKdyUwsy9

Lights (No barriers):
Beerburrum (Sunshine Coast Line) https://goo.gl/maps/Uoge8rhPkJRG2uTv5

They're generally being closed off though. I found this one at Walloon (Rosewood Line) which when I first found it on Google Maps was open, however on inspection of streetview and Nearmaps, it was closed in 2014. Open: https://goo.gl/maps/nMvvhTjhbNNPva3RA
Closed: https://goo.gl/maps/arP5TvZ74FcYpdo48
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2020, 08:19 AM   #18043
L2
In the ****

Blame me for being asleep through most of that section when I was on the SOTO last year

--

In a flashback to 2006, here is a sneak peak of the futuristic new Waratah trains:

Old January 16th, 2020, 12:51 PM   #18044
prp002

Likes (Received): 4749

Here's a video from the mid 1980's produced by Commonwealth Engineering (ComEng). They made 3 mock ups for the new Tangara contract to be awarded by the State Rail Authority (SRA).

The mock ups were for standard length suburban cars of 23 metres one with widened stair wells one with standard, and a 25 metre long coach (the same length as SRA's intercity cars) with widened stairells.

However SRA decided to choose Goninan's offering. The loss of the contract (146 cars) helped drive ComEng to declare bankruptcy, and the plant closed soon after

SydneyWorks liked this post
prp002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2020, 12:19 AM   #18045
Dyllip
La Urbanista

Likes (Received): 592

Wow no dawdling retards, stair blockers or phone zombies in that vid!
Dyllip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2020, 12:48 AM   #18046
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 3423

And it still took forever
Old January 19th, 2020, 03:59 AM   #18047
prp002

R.I.P. Grant Goldman

ajw373, Stadium Lover, RoarRa liked this post
Old January 19th, 2020, 05:54 AM   #18048
prp002

If you’re standing at the station platform waiting for your train and think you’re hearing a familiar voice, you probably are.

Everyone is currently losing their minds after finding out that the women who voices those pleasant train announcements, is actually Taylor Owynns, aka the woman who voiced ‘Lulu’ in Bananas In Pyjamas for 10 years!

https://www.rmk.com.au/taylor_owynns/

Last edited by prp002; January 19th, 2020 at 06:09 AM.
Old January 20th, 2020, 12:03 PM   #18049
zoomwhoosh

Likes (Received): 1637

Thanks to that video (first heard years ago) I still hear "P***s Tuggerah" every time I take that train..
zoomwhoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2020, 12:57 PM   #18050
L2
In the ****

Where was everybody else on the 12:24am Moss Vale train this morning? Nobody left but me, the guard and the driver after Bargo

I wonder how much it costs the government per day to run this service and it's corresponding inbound trip, both of which started running daily in the 2017 timetable. I'm guessing it would be much cheaper to hire taxis as necessary for intending passengers.
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM   #18051
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 3423

The problem with double-deckers:

At the doors - people crowded like sardines, with luggage and prams, blocking the doors and having a bad time. Pain in the arse for people to get on or off the train.

Upstairs: More empty seats than people standing.

Pretty standard.

Khaul liked this post
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #18052
zoomwhoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
Where was everybody else on the 12:24am Moss Vale train this morning? Nobody left but me, the guard and the driver after Bargo

I wonder how much it costs the government per day to run this service and it's corresponding inbound trip, both of which started running daily in the 2017 timetable. I'm guessing it would be much cheaper to hire taxis as necessary for intending passengers.
Makes me want to say that word that public transport planners are not allowed to think...

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. speed is right, speed works."

CementC liked this post
Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM   #18053
CementC
Here we go again

Likes (Received): 642

zoomwhoosh liked this post
CementC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM   #18054
zoomwhoosh

Ramming speed!

Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM   #18055
prp002

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomwhoosh View Post
Makes me want to say that word that public transport planners are not allowed to think...

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. speed is right, speed works."
so do lines of coke, just quietly.

Brizer liked this post
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM   #18056
zoomwhoosh

If it makes the trains (and tram) go faster.. I don't care..
Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM   #18057
CementC
Here we go again

Likes (Received): 642

Our entire rail network in the state could do with a massive increase in speed, if it wasn't for the shocking state of our railways
CementC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM   #18058
Brizer

Likes (Received): 6603

They'll just have to get rid of those pesky passengers and then they can go like the clappers, no problem.
Brizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM   #18059
zoomwhoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizer View Post
They'll just have to get rid of those pesky passengers and then they can go like the clappers, no problem.
Nah, just use SecureFoam. Crashworthyness is all that matters. Just ask State Rail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnyhkBU1yaw

In case you're wondering where that thought came from. Years ago I got to check out the lab and the 500 tonne press they used to test new train seats. One of the hangovers from the Granville disaster. It of course begs the question of why they wanted to make trains "crashworthy" when it would be far more useful to do things like physically prevent trains from crashing into things. After all, aircraft aren't crashworthy, they just go to a lot of effort to avoid crashing in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
maglev bus to caboolture, mandurahboyz