Central Station Redevelopment | Newcastle | Various | U/C - Page 70 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old March 29th, 2019, 12:53 PM   #1381
Northumbriana

Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
Chronicle Live website article from 28/03/19

EXTRACT

Longer platforms and better rail links between Newcastle and Sunderland - new Central Station plans revealed

The changes are part of Newcastle City Council's wish-list to improve transport

“Proposals for the station, which we continue to develop in partnership and will require funding from various sources, include improved pedestrian access to the south and west of the station including to Stephenson Quarter and the Forth Yards development sites, longer platforms to accommodate the arrival of HS2 as well as further developing areas in and around the station to provide improved car parking facilities.”

Full article on https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...rland-16038508

KEN
It's a pity not much detail is really offered because I'm curious to know how rail links between Newcastle and Sunderland can be improved with the metro being an obstacle to any speed and frequency improvements. Maybe the line from Pelaw to Sunderland's metropolitan edge can be four tracked to allow for dynamic overtaking?

Sunderland station has enough room to be restored to its former four platform glory to at least give terminating trains somewhere to stay out of the way of metros.
Northumbriana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2019, 02:07 PM   #1382
No Opinion

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northumbriana View Post
It's a pity not much detail is really offered because I'm curious to know how rail links between Newcastle and Sunderland can be improved with the metro being an obstacle to any speed and frequency improvements. Maybe the line from Pelaw to Sunderland's metropolitan edge can be four tracked to allow for dynamic overtaking?

Sunderland station has enough room to be restored to its former four platform glory to at least give terminating trains somewhere to stay out of the way of metros.
Central station to Sunderland trains will disrupt the ECML, either crossing the tracks to go over the HLB or adding yet more congestion to the KEB.

The metro is also not a viable Newcastle to Sunderland journey, these two cities need a fast link point to point, not stopping everywhere en route.

It’s part of a massive misconception of the metro system. It’s not a system to get people from town to town, rather to get people from the outer parts of the town, to the inner parts of the town. It takes too long.

For this reason I’d suggest the metro is not extended into Washington but rather a Newcastle-Washington-Sunderland express loop via the Leamside/South Hylton line.

And the congestion at central station could be relieved by a new bridge for a ECML loop via the metro centre and Tyne valley services to enter Central directly into a west entrance. But the Central Gateway project appears to kill this idea from ever happening. Short sighted?
No Opinion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2019, 03:09 PM   #1383
Northumbriana

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Opinion View Post
Central station to Sunderland trains will disrupt the ECML, either crossing the tracks to go over the HLB or adding yet more congestion to the KEB.

The metro is also not a viable Newcastle to Sunderland journey, these two cities need a fast link point to point, not stopping everywhere en route.

It’s part of a massive misconception of the metro system. It’s not a system to get people from town to town, rather to get people from the outer parts of the town, to the inner parts of the town. It takes too long.

For this reason I’d suggest the metro is not extended into Washington but rather a Newcastle-Washington-Sunderland express loop via the Leamside/South Hylton line.

And the congestion at central station could be relieved by a new bridge for a ECML loop via the metro centre and Tyne valley services to enter Central directly into a west entrance. But the Central Gateway project appears to kill this idea from ever happening. Short sighted?
Had a similar thought to that as well, but going all the way to that viaduct across the Wear after Washington would be quite a dog leg. There's an old alignment which links Washington to Sunderland via the North bank of the Wear which could possibly be reinstated with some careful diversions through Nissan's open land. But this seems like a waste of money when as you suggest, the existing track is misused as a metro line. Or at the very least the metro service could be scaled back into a half hourly service to run alongside a half hourly express heavy rail service which links Sunderland to Carlisle and Middlesbrough.

I get the impression from that Gateway project the aim is to leave parts of central station open to longer platforms and a link to Scotswood but in the meantime use that space for passengers in a way that it could easily be handed back over to track operation when required. But I'm not sure if that link would ever be feasible anyway as these trains are going to Sunderland and as you say that means crossing the ECML.

I'd envisage in the future 10 Northern Connect trains per day going from Carlisle to Hexham - Prudhoe - Metro Centre - Newcastle and then down a reopened Leamside line to Washington, Belmont and Middlesbrough. Perhaps then forming an all stops service to Saltburn. Then a couple of trains per hour can go from Carlisle to Sunderland calling at the main stations and dividing the minor halts between them before continuing down Durham coast calling at all stations and reaching Nunthorpe and perhaps Guisborough. Then the 'Tyne-Tees Express' can call at all stations on the Leamside line.
Old March 29th, 2019, 05:55 PM   #1384
No Opinion

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northumbriana View Post
Had a similar thought to that as well, but going all the way to that viaduct across the Wear after Washington would be quite a dog leg. There's an old alignment which links Washington to Sunderland via the North bank of the Wear which could possibly be reinstated with some careful diversions through Nissan's open land. But this seems like a waste of money when as you suggest, the existing track is misused as a metro line. Or at the very least the metro service could be scaled back into a half hourly service to run alongside a half hourly express heavy rail service which links Sunderland to Carlisle and Middlesbrough.

I get the impression from that Gateway project the aim is to leave parts of central station open to longer platforms and a link to Scotswood but in the meantime use that space for passengers in a way that it could easily be handed back over to track operation when required. But I'm not sure if that link would ever be feasible anyway as these trains are going to Sunderland and as you say that means crossing the ECML.

I'd envisage in the future 10 Northern Connect trains per day going from Carlisle to Hexham - Prudhoe - Metro Centre - Newcastle and then down a reopened Leamside line to Washington, Belmont and Middlesbrough. Perhaps then forming an all stops service to Saltburn. Then a couple of trains per hour can go from Carlisle to Sunderland calling at the main stations and dividing the minor halts between them before continuing down Durham coast calling at all stations and reaching Nunthorpe and perhaps Guisborough. Then the 'Tyne-Tees Express' can call at all stations on the Leamside line.
Yeah, by opening up the Leamside, Ashington and Stillington line there is a whole host of regional services available so long as the ECML express lines are evenly distributed to allow stopping services on both Durham and Leamside lines.

Like a vertical bow tie, these lines all converge at Newcastle over 1.5 bridges (HLB isn’t likely a heavy rail long term solution) so not only will HS2 compatible trains need to be factored in to the redesign of Central Station but increased stopping services hopefully. And as you state with your proposed through lines, Central will need more through platforms than termini.
No Opinion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2019, 09:01 PM   #1385
Northumbriana

Interesting point about the HLB. I can see a point where rail access is cut back completely, in which case what is the alternative arrangement? There are a few options:

1) Trains are rerouted onto the KEB and reverse out of central station to continue their journey. This will likely result in the need for another viaduct somewhere west of the KEB for capacity.

2) A new eastern crossing is built, possibly dusting off the old plans for a link from Heaton onto the Leamside line. Which could then have a chord added so Sunderland trains can head towards Newcastle via Heaton and Manors. This would also provide a freight bypass of Newcastle and allow for a station in Walker. Quite a few houses would need to be bulldozed though. The old Walker branch could probably suffice instead?

3) Tyne Valley - Durham Coast/Leamside trains don't go into Newcastle at all. They instead call at a new station in Gateshead possibly on railway land just past Gateshead stadium metro station. And the metro connection is relied on for continued journeys into Newcastle. I'd hope this would be a last resort option if it is even an option at all.

I'd be surprised if platforms 1 & 9-12 at central station remain as they are for much longer. Even if the Scotswood line is never reinstated, part of its trackbed could be a useful place for terminating trains from the north to turn around rather than occupy an active platform if those services can get from one side of central to the other without needing to get in the way of long distance trains.
Old August 23rd, 2019, 09:09 AM   #1386
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 3786

Work within Portico of Central Station, Newcastle - pictures 22/08/19

Pictures by myself from Thursday 22/08/19 approx 1945 showing work taking place within western part of the Portico area of Central Station, Newcastle

Lot of reflections of the glass unfortunately but does give views of some of the activity behind the black screens

Images hosted on Post Image site

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2019, 07:59 PM   #1387
Ken O'Heed

Work within Portico of Central Station, Newcastle - pictures 25/08/19

Further pictures by myself from Sunday 25/08/19 approx 1100 showing the work area within western part of the Portico area of Central Station, Newcastle and also the current arrangement with the remaining part

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN
Old August 31st, 2019, 02:02 PM   #1388
hollaa01

Likes (Received): 14

Anybody know what they’re actually doing?
hollaa01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2019, 07:54 PM   #1389
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollaa01 View Post
Anybody know what they’re actually doing?
Creating a champagne/cocktail bar I believe.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2019, 07:20 PM   #1390
Ken O'Heed

Work creating "Destination 1850" within Portico of Central Station, Newcastle - pictures 07/09/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Creating a champagne/cocktail bar I believe.
Picture by myself from Saturday 07/09/19 approx 0915 showing sign in place on site fencing/sheeting within Portico of Central Station, Newcastle

"Coming soon Destination 1850"

Google search of "Destination 1850" produced an advert for jobs

See https://www.indeed.co.uk/New-Opening...872f37ec315e2f

EXTRACT

Kitchen staff

Learning Menu to spec Breakfasts, Wraps, Salads,Pizza
Keeping kitchen to EHO standards
Ordering of stocks and checking deliveries
Stock management

Bar Tenders

Serving drinks ,coffee, food and cocktails to our customers with prompt and top levels of service

Information about the name:-

1850 being date of opening by Queen Victoria of the station, one of only six Grade One listed railway stations in the UK, it was the first covered railway station in the world

Image hosted on Post image site

KEN

Godscrasher liked this post
Old September 16th, 2019, 07:23 PM   #1391
Ken O'Heed

Central Station, Newcastle - pictures 13/09/19

Some pictures by myself taken Saturday 13/09/19 approx 1015 from the roof area of The Castle Keep, Newcastle, (on a Heritage Open Days 2019 event), to show some views of the east end of Central Station, Newcastle

Unfortunately no long distance trains to Edinburgh and beyond to be seen passing The Keep due to engineering works on ECML north of Morpeth, being diverted via Carlisle, so only the short "local" trains

Images hosted on Post Image site

KEN

Posted Away liked this post
Old October 10th, 2019, 01:28 PM   #1392
cranfan

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
Picture by myself from Saturday 07/09/19 approx 0915 showing sign in place on site fencing/sheeting within Portico of Central Station, Newcastle

"Coming soon Destination 1850"

1850 being date of opening by Queen Victoria of the station, one of only six Grade One listed railway stations in the UK, it was the first covered railway station in the world
Destination 1850 now open in the portico. Facebook @destination1850
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 04:14 PM   #1393
Ken O'Heed

Took some photos on Thursday 10/10/19 approx 0930

Coming shortly

KEN
Old October 10th, 2019, 04:43 PM   #1394
Ken O'Heed

Destination 1850 within Central Station Portico, Newcastle - pictures 10/10/19

Pictures by myself from Thursday 10/10/19 approx 0930 showing the recently opened Destination 1850 within Central Station Portico, Newcastle

Chronicle Live website article from 03/10/19

EXTRACT

Destination 1850 in Newcastle - here's what is on the menu at Central Station's new bar

The 1850 has arrived in Newcastle Central Station and seems on track to impress with its menu

Described as a "boutique bar and eatery", the venue inside the station's glazed portico entrance is the latest venture by Danieli Holdings, the company behind The Stack and bar-restaurants including YOLO and The Muddler in the city.

Full article on https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/what...-what-17021844

Images hosted on Post image site

KEN
Old October 10th, 2019, 04:46 PM   #1395
Red Redemption

Fantasy project I know but if HS rail ever came to Newcastle I would like to see 2 new straight platforms built along the back of the arena expanding the station west but also being connected to the new expansion that will include the new car park and buildings planned between the King Edward Bridge and Redheugh Bridge.
Red Redemption no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 04:58 PM   #1396
minimoog

Likes (Received): 169

Destination 1850

Looks fine but that space is freezing.

GBDT liked this post
minimoog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2019, 12:46 PM   #1397
hollaa01

Looks good. Can they add some classy heaters of some kind? Not those gross free standing ones.
hollaa01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, constructions, developments, england, newcastle, newcastle transport, project, project - newcastle area, projects, rail, railways, redevelopment, transport, united kingdom