Sleeperz Hotel | Newcastle | 22m | 6 Fl | Completed - Page 17 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Completed Projects

Completed Projects From all North East England Sub-forum Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2014, 01:48 AM   #321
TunaFish1988

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godscrasher View Post
Where was he standing to take that?

Hi Folks, That shot was taken at the far end of the Central Station car park.
TunaFish1988 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2014, 12:59 PM   #322
Stamford

Likes (Received): 684

Am having a major sort out of my photos and in the process of creating albums of all the major projects I've taken pics of over the last 5 years or so. Here's my album for the Sleeperz Hotel development.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/481198...7632997339395/

My Photostream on Flikr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

GBDT, AlexRowan liked this post
Stamford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #323
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4766

Sleeperz Hotel - 13th September 2014

Passed by the Sleeperz Hotel yesterday, 13th September 2014 and took this snap showing that non of the ground level retail units have yet to be let.

Image hosted on http://GeordiePhotographs.fototime.c...20Construction

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Newcastle Historian liked this post
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #324
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Passed by the Sleeperz Hotel yesterday, 13th September 2014 and took this snap showing that non of the ground level retail units have yet to be let.

A bit disappointing. Part of the benefits of that hotel 'bringing life' to that area of the City Centre was the life (to be) generated by the Ground Floor Retail Units also.

What would be suitable for those units.

I would say a Restaurant would be best, and perhaps it will happen when the adjacent area in front of and around Central Station (that is being landscaped etc, at the moment) settles down later this year.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:52 AM   #325
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
A bit disappointing. Part of the benefits of that hotel 'bringing life' to that area of the City Centre was the life (to be) generated by the Ground Floor Retail Units also.

What would be suitable for those units.

I would say a Restaurant would be best, and perhaps it will happen when the adjacent area in front of and around Central Station (that is being landscaped etc, at the moment) settles down later this year.
Quite noticeable that the units in the railway arches further towards the Castle are all occupied. However they are possibly smaller and thus more affordable than the one's at the hotel.

This from BNP Paribas @ http://www.realestate.bnpparibas.co....p_1557291.html

Two units are available, the largest providing up to 9,128 sq ft of retail or leisure space, situated below the brand new, 93 bed, Sleeperz Hotel.

The new units offer a rare opportunity to secure space in the prominent thoroughfare leading to Central Station. The site lends itself particularly well to café/bar or restaurant and is close to the thriving leisure circuit of Collingwood Street and Westgate Road.

Mike Birkett, Director, Retail and Leisure Agency at BNP Paribas Real Estate’s Newcastle office, comments: “The space on offer provides occupiers with the chance to feature below a brand new city centre hotel. Both units are available on effectively full repairing and insuring leases, for terms to be agreed and a rental of £17.50 per square foot is being quoted.”

The units are being badges as Westgate Corner - check out the PDF @ http://www.propertypilot.co.uk/pdf/92+757783.pdf - that shows there are 4 units up for lease.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old September 14th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #326
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1161

Completely conjecture on my part but:
  • There's been a bit of churn [closing businesses] in the bigger arches - whatever people say retail is still tough out there.
  • There may be more restrictions on they type of tenant. At least two of the tenants in the arches are foodie. The hotel may not want 'competition' [assuming they are the landlord] and possibly more significantly there are issues about vents, kitchens etc that might be more complex in those sites.
  • The arches might be thought of as 'funkier' [as the young people say ]
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 12:56 PM   #327
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 784

Quote:
Quite noticeable that the units in the railway arches further towards the Castle are all occupied. However they are possibly smaller and thus more affordable than the one's at the hotel.

This from BNP Paribas @ http://www.realestate.bnpparibas.co....p_1557291.html

Two units are available, the largest providing up to 9,128 sq ft of retail or leisure space, situated below the brand new, 93 bed, Sleeperz Hotel.

The new units offer a rare opportunity to secure space in the prominent thoroughfare leading to Central Station. The site lends itself particularly well to café/bar or restaurant and is close to the thriving leisure circuit of Collingwood Street and Westgate Road.

Mike Birkett, Director, Retail and Leisure Agency at BNP Paribas Real Estate’s Newcastle office, comments: “The space on offer provides occupiers with the chance to feature below a brand new city centre hotel. Both units are available on effectively full repairing and insuring leases, for terms to be agreed and a rental of £17.50 per square foot is being quoted.”

The units are being badges as Westgate Corner - check out the PDF @ http://www.propertypilot.co.uk/pdf/92+757783.pdf - that shows there are 4 units up for lease.
The largest unit has annual rent of £159,740.

I know city centre prices are high but for me this unit is too far out the way to be able to command a rent of that much.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #328
No Opinion

Likes (Received): 885

Looking at that pdf brochure 'Unit 1' would make a great pub/club, hidden away underneath the arches of the railway embankment forming central station and its approaches.
No Opinion está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #329
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Opinion View Post
Looking at that pdf brochure 'Unit 1' would make a great pub/club, hidden away underneath the arches of the railway embankment forming central station and its approaches.
Aye but no chance of a prem' licence. Under a hotel and opposite what's probably the most expensive apartments in Newcastle....

I take back the restaurant comments - they re obviously actively promoting to that market, though Chris is right - that's serious rent for that location.
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #330
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
Completely conjecture on my part but:
  • There's been a bit of churn [closing businesses] in the bigger arches - whatever people say retail is still tough out there.
  • There may be more restrictions on they type of tenant. At least two of the tenants in the arches are foodie. The hotel may not want 'competition' [assuming they are the landlord] and possibly more significantly there are issues about vents, kitchens etc that might be more complex in those sites.
  • The arches might be thought of as 'funkier' [as the young people say ]
The arches on the Westgate Road side are fully occupied, I noticed a Tattoo Artist Shop is one of them now, couple of food outlets an think the remainder are office types. Past there this morning and a lot of activity outside of those units, Police and looked like water board - perhaps a mains leak?

On the Forth Street side of the arches there are a few empty there.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #331
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
The arches on the Westgate Road side are fully occupied, I noticed a Tattoo Artist Shop is one of them now, couple of food outlets an think the remainder are office types. Past there this morning and a lot of activity outside of those units, Police and looked like water board - perhaps a mains leak?

On the Forth Street side of the arches there are a few empty there.
Big leak too, looked like a 'crack' in the road surface.

Are you sure they re all 'actively' occupied. I had the impression [ok only looked properly a couple of weeks ago] that at least one was broke [dusty and mail on the floor].

There's a tat shop, a hairdresser I think and Sausage Emporium [v good],

Also Herb Garden - supposed to be good, but put off by roller skating horse and more importantly went with Mrs NP and mother a couple of weeks ago with the intention to eat but no menu on the outside.. is it a fiver a plate or fifty ? Went elsewhere.
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #332
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
Big leak too, looked like a 'crack' in the road surface.

Are you sure they re all 'actively' occupied. I had the impression [ok only looked properly a couple of weeks ago] that at least one was broke [dusty and mail on the floor].

There's a tat shop, a hairdresser I think and Sausage Emporium [v good],

Also Herb Garden - supposed to be good, but put off by roller skating horse and more importantly went with Mrs NP and mother a couple of weeks ago with the intention to eat but no menu on the outside.. is it a fiver a plate or fifty ? Went elsewhere.
No I walked down there yesterday afternoon and they were all occupied on Westgate Road from the tunnel to St Nicholas' Street. The one right next to the Sleeperz is unoccupied - that is I think under the ownership/guardianship of the hotel.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old September 14th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #333
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Looks like it s in the rental package - unit 4.
Old September 16th, 2019, 07:36 PM   #334
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 3786

Sleeperz Hotel, Westgate Rd, Newcastle - pictures 13/09/19

Pictures by myself taken Saturday 13/09/19 approx 1015 from the roof area of The Castle Keep, Newcastle, (on a Heritage Open Days 2019 event), to show different views of the Sleeperz Hotel, Westgate Rd, Newcastle and adjacent car park area of Central Station

Images hosted on Post Image site

KEN

Newcastle Historian liked this post
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, development, developments, hotel, newcastle, newcastle hotels, project, project - newcastle area, projects