NEWCASTLE HELIX (previously Science City / Science Central) | Newcastle | Various | U/C - Page 68 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old September 13th, 2019, 10:37 PM   #1341
Andym

Likes (Received): 442

NEWCASTLE HELIX (previously Science City / Science Central) | Newcastle | Various | U/C

Only London and Manchester ( two-Deansgate under construction) have a tower of 50 stories or more.I would dispute its “Newcastle’s dream” only that of a minority of people.

Last edited by Andym; September 13th, 2019 at 10:58 PM.
Andym no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2019, 02:07 PM   #1342
No Opinion

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym View Post
Only London and Manchester ( two-Deansgate under construction) have a tower of 50 stories or more.I would dispute its “Newcastle’s dream” only that of a minority of people.
The minority of people in question referring to the people that commissioned the design and engaged in public consultation for it no less.

You got me on the storey numbers though. I'd say a 100m or 35-40 storeys would do nicely.

I'm under no illusions that there are plenty more ways to improve Newcastle without keeping up with the Jones's skylines, but its something i'd and i'm guessing a few others on this forum wouldn't mind seeing. At their best, high rise architecture conveys a confidence in investment and prosperity to the city.... providing what goes on inside follows of course.

Jarradise liked this post
No Opinion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 07:17 PM   #1343
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 3785

General views of Newcastle Helix /Science Central area, Newcastle - pictures 13/09/19

Some further pictures by myself taken Saturday 13/09/19 approx 1015 from the roof area of The Castle Keep, Newcastle, (on a Heritage Open Days 2019 event), to show different views of the some of the buildings of Newcastle Helix/Science Central area, Newcastle

Images hosted on Post Image site

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 02:22 PM   #1344
thom85

Likes (Received): 77

‘Spark’ is now underway!

https://twitter.com/newcastlehelix/s...932157440?s=21

Newcastle Guy, No Opinion, NH1966, ne14ne1 liked this post
thom85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 07:32 PM   #1345
penumbra-

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom85 View Post

3 stories higher than the Lumen, should make quite and impact

ne14ne1 liked this post
penumbra- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 11:10 AM   #1346
elliott

Likes (Received): 321

Due to similar colours, and form, I hope this buildings reads as a distinct building and not as part of the Lumen.

on Flickr
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 05:36 PM   #1347
thom85

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Due to similar colours, and form, I hope this buildings reads as a distinct building and not as part of the Lumen.

on Flickr
I am grateful for some congruity in approach to this site. It was beginning to look like a total hodgepodge. The continuity of Time Central and Wellbar Central are one of the reasons Gallowgate now works so well, in my opinion.

Also, the cladding of the Spark, despite appearing the same as the Lumen, is subtly different.

No Opinion liked this post
thom85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 11:23 PM   #1348
tameracingdriver

Likes (Received): 215

And yet being a hodgepodge is pretty much what Newcastle is about!
tameracingdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 01:55 PM   #1349
No Opinion

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by tameracingdriver View Post
And yet being a hodgepodge is pretty much what Newcastle is about!
Aside from the consistency of the best Georgian streets in a major UK city!

Helix masterplan does suffer from 'hotchpotch' masterplanning. he plots are odd shapes and the East-West routes seem a little fractious. Look at the vista looking from Blue Star Square to the laboratory. Buildings seem to project into the route or spaced outside of a building line. Its a bit odd.

Newcastle is a place with well defined street edges. Think of Grey Street, Market Street, Bath Street, Gibson Street, Westgate Road, SJB all have linear or curving vistas. The fact Science Central does not include these vistas makes me feel the trendy London outfit (MAKE) mostly designed on google earth and didn't have enough time to get the 'feel' of the city.

So the continuity of Ryder's architecture is very much welcome. As is the money spent by Legal and General to make these high spec city centre offices that Newcastle so terribly needs makes me very gracious.

In fact, it is an observation that the further away the designers of Newcastle's architecture, the less congruous it is to the city. Ryder's/FaulknerBrowns generally get it right. Simpson Architects (Downing) is so so but the MAKE masterplan and Hawkins Brown Science building is really a bit disappointing. My humble opinion of course.

tameracingdriver liked this post
No Opinion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 11:47 AM   #1350
DemoManz

Likes (Received): 55

The car park has got it's own page: https://newcastlehelix.com/about/the-garage

Andym, Godscrasher, geordiejon liked this post
DemoManz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 04:19 PM   #1351
Ken O'Heed

Legal & General new building, "The Lumen", at Science Central/ Newcastle Helix area, Newcastle - pictures 23/09/19 Part 1 of 2

Pictures by myself from Monday 23/09/19 in period approx 1130 - 1145 showing views of the works associated with "The Lumen" Legal & General's building, 106,000 sq ft of brand new Grade A offices, being built by Sir Robert McAlpine at lower section of Science Central/ Newcastle Helix area, Newcastle

More on following post

KEN

ne14ne1 liked this post

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; September 24th, 2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old September 24th, 2019, 04:20 PM   #1352
Ken O'Heed

Legal & General new building, "The Lumen", at Science Central/ Newcastle Helix area, Newcastle - pictures 23/09/19 Part 2 of 2

Part 2 of 2

Pictures by myself from Monday 23/09/19 in period approx 1130 - 1145 showing views of the works associated with "The Lumen" Legal & General's building, 106,000 sq ft of brand new Grade A offices, being built by Sir Robert McAlpine at lower section of Science Central/ Newcastle Helix area, Newcastle

KEN
Old September 24th, 2019, 04:35 PM   #1353
Ken O'Heed

Newcastle University Learning & Teaching Centre, The Frederick Douglass Centre, (Sir Robert McAlpine site) and other parts of Science Central/ Newcastle Helix, Newcastle - pictures 23/09/19 Part 1 of 2

Pictures by myself from Monday 23/09/19 approx 1115 - 1130 showing some views of the ongoing Sir Robert McAlpine site, (Newcastle University Learning & Teaching Centre, The Frederick Douglass Centre) as well as other ongoing works and completed buildings of the Science Central / Helix site area, Newcastle

Building now complete and operating, judging by number of students in the vicinity, and siteworks nearing completion with access route now open and soft landscaping taking place

More on following post

KEN
Old September 24th, 2019, 04:36 PM   #1354
Ken O'Heed

Newcastle University Learning & Teaching Centre, The Frederick Douglass Centre, (Sir Robert McAlpine site) and other parts of Science Central/ Newcastle Helix, Newcastle - pictures 23/09/19 Part 2 of 2

Part 2 of 2

Pictures by myself from Monday 23/09/19 approx 1115 - 1130 showing some views of the ongoing Sir Robert McAlpine site, (Newcastle University Learning & Teaching Centre, The Frederick Douglass Centre) as well as other ongoing works and completed buildings of the Science Central / Helix site area, Newcastle

KEN

DemoManz, novonew47 liked this post
Old September 24th, 2019, 04:41 PM   #1355
Ken O'Heed

Newcastle University National Innovation Centre for Data, "The Catalyst" (Bowmer & Kirkland site) & general views, Science Central/ Newcastle Helix, Newcastle - pictures 23/09/19

Further pictures by myself from Monday 23/09/19 approx 1130 showing in particular views of the Bowmer & Kirkland site, Newcastle University National Innovation Centre for Data, "The Catalyst", on the Science Central/Helix site area, Newcastle but also with views of the other completed and ongoing developments

Siteworks and soft landscaping taking place

KEN
Old September 24th, 2019, 04:46 PM   #1356
Ken O'Heed

Combined heat and power facility, Newcastle Helix / Science Central - pictures 23/09/19

Pictures by myself from Monday 23/09/19 in period approx 1130 - 1145 showing situation with erection on the Combined heat and power facility and associated access road (rear Westgate Rd), pipe trenches etc at Newcastle Helix / Science Central as well as views of completed and under construction buildings of the area

KEN
Old September 24th, 2019, 04:56 PM   #1357
Ken O'Heed

General views of Science Central/ Newcastle Helix area, Newcastle - pictures 23/09/19 Part 1 of 2

In addition to my pictures on posts with pictures from 23/09/19 above these further pictures from Monday 23/09/19 approx 1115 - 1145 showing views of the ongoing works and completed buildings etc of the Science Central / Helix site area, Newcastle, taken on a wander around part of the area

Upper part of Wellington St roadworks continue

Further down Wellington St

Views from lower part of area

View from Bath Lane

More on following post

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; September 24th, 2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old September 24th, 2019, 05:26 PM   #1358
Ken O'Heed

General views of Science Central/ Newcastle Helix area, Newcastle - pictures 23/09/19 Part 2 of 2

Part 2 of 2

In addition to my pictures on posts with pictures from 23/09/19 above these further pictures from Monday 23/09/19 approx 1115 - 1145 showing views of the ongoing works and completed buildings etc of the Science Central / Helix site area, Newcastle, taken on a wander around part of the area

A couple of views up the site from not too clean vision panels in St James' Boulevard hoarding

View from St James' Boulevard hoarding

KEN
Old September 24th, 2019, 05:28 PM   #1359
Ken O'Heed

The Spark, Newcastle Helix/ former Science Central, Newcastle - information

From https://newcastlehelix.com/about/the-spark

EXTRACT

A second landmark office space, promoting both established and new businesses looking for an inspiring working environment. Includes exclusive occupancy accommodation and large, open informal collaboration space.

The second landmark office building to be delivered at Newcastle Helix. Designed to accommodate both new and established businesses looking for a different and inspiring working environment, the Spark will combined collaborative spaces with large open floorplates.

Arranged over 12 floors, the 110,000 sq.ft Grade A office building has been designed from the ground up with the evolving needs of businesses in mind. Connectivity and sustainability principles add to cutting edge architecture and space planning to ensure the Spark is ready to accommodate both company headquarters and growing business alike to one of the most important new communities in the UK.

More about The Spark on :-

https://www.ryderarchitecture.com/pr...stle-helix.htm

https://cushwakeproperty.co.uk/our-p...70e5a00/164862

In next few days will try to get some views of early work of The Spark

More about the whole development on https://newcastlehelix.com/about

KEN

NH1966 liked this post
Old October 6th, 2019, 12:16 PM   #1360
Ken O'Heed

Legal & General new building, "The Lumen", at Science Central/ Newcastle Helix area, Newcastle - pictures 05/10/19

Pictures by myself from Saturday 05/10/19 in period approx 0930 - 0945 showing views of the works associated with "The Lumen" Legal & General's building, 106,000 sq ft of brand new Grade A offices, being built by Sir Robert McAlpine at lower section of Science Central/ Newcastle Helix area, Newcastle

Images hosted on Post image site

KEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, development, developments, medical research, newcastle, project, project - newcastle area, projects, research, science, science research, scientific research