Atlanta Development News - Page 118 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Atlanta

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2019, 12:24 AM   #2341
Cincydawg

Likes (Received): 34

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/8/1/...free-admission

Any football fans here? HoF is free fro August.

GunnerJacket liked this post
Cincydawg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2019, 03:35 PM   #2342
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5026

Wow. Kudos to them and thanks to the sponsors.

I've cooled on the college game over the recent decade as it's become more imbalanced and less collegial, but I still appreciate the spectacle. Might go and support our local institutions with this promotion.
Old August 2nd, 2019, 04:52 PM   #2343
Tered

Likes (Received): 2371

Just my opinion, but going back to $21.99 in September is a bit too much. I'm glad that they are sponsoring the month of August, and that they have had much more success here than in South Bend which actually should be considering the size of the Atlanta metro area compared to all of Indiana. But think how much more could be made if the entrance fee was lowered. Not everyone is willing to shell out $21.99 for adult prices. This adds to the problem with collegiate football today with even ticket prices for games which have become expensive. Bad enough you have to sit through commercial stoppages during nationally televised games today which makes games non-fluent just like attending NFL games.
Old August 2nd, 2019, 09:55 PM   #2344
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tered View Post
Just my opinion, but going back to $21.99 in September is a bit too much. I'm glad that they are sponsoring the month of August, and that they have had much more success here than in South Bend which actually should be considering the size of the Atlanta metro area compared to all of Indiana. But think how much more could be made if the entrance fee was lowered. Not everyone is willing to shell out $21.99 for adult prices. This adds to the problem with collegiate football today with even ticket prices for games which have become expensive. Bad enough you have to sit through commercial stoppages during nationally televised games today which makes games non-fluent just like attending NFL games.
For the record anyone paying full price is missing out on the variety of discounts routinely on offer. Much like theme parks they price it high knowing they'll have special promotions, tie-ins, etc. Groupon routinely has a 2 for 1, and they'll have special deals for seniors and students, plus other specials based on certain occasions. I have a co-worker who's been 3 times and they've always gone as part of a discount offer, never paying full price.

Not as good as free, mind you.

Tered liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 12:28 PM   #2345
Cincydawg

I took the wife on back, she knows little about American football, but was impressed with their technology. I thought it was a nice way to manage it with the badges.

That obviously is a "tourist area" now. I took a step-grandkid to the Coke Museum a few weeks back, it was crowded.
Old August 10th, 2019, 11:30 PM   #2346
gwiATLeman

Likes (Received): 1979

126 Renaissance

https://twitter.com/ChrisBroughtonT/...70215647203328

gwiATLeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 11:34 PM   #2347
gwiATLeman

This photo from a NY Times article gives a view of several construction sites in the area.

From left to right
  • Generation Atlanta
  • 524 West Peachtree hotel
  • Emory Midtown parking deck(on the same block as 524 WP)
  • Centennial Lofts (student housing)
  • 640 Peachtree hotel
  • Norfolk Southern HQ
  • 712 West Peachtree.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...?smid=tw-share

Cincydawg, GunnerJacket, zaphod, Labtec liked this post
Old August 20th, 2019, 01:41 AM   #2348
gwiATLeman

Phipps plaza expansion

Photo by Street Advocate

zaphod, Cincydawg liked this post
Old August 21st, 2019, 09:24 PM   #2349
Cincydawg

IF Gwinett and/or Cobb voted for MARTA, would they best be served with:

1. Hard rail extensions
2. Light rail of 3x or so the mileage (Is 3x the right ratio for suburbs?)
3. Dedicated busways
4. Some of each?
Old August 22nd, 2019, 04:15 PM   #2350
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincydawg View Post
IF Gwinett and/or Cobb voted for MARTA, would they best be served with:

1. Hard rail extensions
2. Light rail of 3x or so the mileage (Is 3x the right ratio for suburbs?)
3. Dedicated busways
4. Some of each?
One man's opinions...

Rail is optimal in areas that can support higher densities and when linking key destinations. It's costly to build but becomes an independent travel option not subject to roadway traffic jams or accidents which can impair busing. Plus riders perceive rail as traditionally safer and more convenient.

The key for me, also, is to envision a scenario where a visitor to the city could fly into town and never need a car. This is far more easily achieved with an independent fixed-route rail set-up that reaches all major destinations. To that end I'd love to see the following rail projects:

- The Bankhead line punches its way to the Vinings/Cumberland area, AND is extended southward to the West End station. This gives Cobb a direct connection to the stadium district and the airport.

- The Blue Line extends west to Six Flags/ Fulton County Airport. Only adds 1-2 stops after Hamilton but it adds two destinations at the end and could endow greater commuter traffic by being accessible before the I-20/I-285 interchange. Could also feature a spur or downward turn to capture some of the Fulton Industrial Blvd. area.

- A new east/west line running from Bankhead to Coke/GT, North Ave Station, Ponce City Mkt, and southward to the Carter Library/North Highland area, and ending at Inman Park. This would endow greater density within downtown and midtown by feeding more options than just the few corridors already served. I also think the Inman Park station could see a lot of growth with the rail yards about to develop and the Edgewood shopping center south of Little Five Points. Gentrification issues? Maybe.

- Light rail going from Arts Center to Puppetry Arts, Atlantic Station, Howell Mill, and down to Bankhead Station.

- Light rail along 10th St stretching from Piedmont Park/ Monroe in the east to Midtown Station, GT's arena, Northside/Howell Mill, and eventually some stop shared with the line mentioned above.

- Light rail from Lindbergh to Emory and Decatur. Could also reroute the Red Line south of Lindbergh but again look toward a long-term future where this area will grow.

- Extending the rail further into north Fulton would be ideal but that's a lot of construction cost before you get to the next major destination around North Point Mall. I think it'd be worth it long term to eventually reach Avalon, but crossing the 'Hooch will be a tough task.

- I think Gwinnett's plans for rail were fine in their last proposal. Both practical and far reaching. Bog thing would be trying to get as close to the arena district and Suwanee as possible. Sugarloaf area would LOVE a connection.

Haven't studied the south side much but I'm sure the above would certainly build on existing trends and make the core of the city more accessible.

pksiv liked this post
Old August 29th, 2019, 08:42 PM   #2351
Tered

8/28/2019
Northside Drive pedestrian bridge has an ADA problem
Disabled veteran is fed up with steep trek to the Mercedes-Benz Stadium
Bobeth Yates
Updated 17 hrs ago | Posted on Aug 28, 2019
Quote:
...Ivery and others who are mobility impaired say the bridge to the Mercedes-Benz Stadium is too steep and too long for them, and as result, they struggle to get across.

“When you get on inclines like the momentum is to go backwards not forwards”, said Ivery as she stopped to take a breath. “You got to have some strength to get up this incline and as you can see it just gets steeper and steeper. And this is the track I do every game. I start, I stop, and I breathe."
No S*** Sherlock! - $33 MILLION and no elevators? REALLY!!!

Full Article - https://www.cbs46.com/news/disabled-...ae8e8b16c.html

Last edited by GunnerJacket; August 30th, 2019 at 03:06 PM.
Tered no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2019, 03:14 PM   #2352
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

a) Language! Keep the site PG, please, even when masking the text.

b) The bridge wasn't, to my knowledge, provided as THE answer to ADA concerns at the intersection, as there are two other points at the ends of the block where folks should be able to cross. When the site plan for the stadium was approved it should have only been done with an understanding that the venue was compliant with applicable laws, including ADA access from adjoining properties and public ROW. The bridge was added after the fact and was intended, best I can tell, merely to aid in handling the volume of users that might be headed to the MARTA station so as to avoid a crushing jam at the street corners.

This doesn't excuse the concept that the bridge might not be fully ADA compliant, but I don't think it deserves to be singled out as the possibly the only gross violator in this instance, either.
Old September 6th, 2019, 10:18 PM   #2353
gwiATLeman

New proposal on the Midtown DRC agenda for next Tuesday.

NEW APPLICATION: Toll Brothers – 250 14th St.
Quote:
New 17-story residential project with 195 market rate units (209,000 SF) located on the
north side of 14th Street with additional frontage along 14th Place. The residential lobby
and amenity area have frontage along 14th St. with a 4-story podium (327 parking
spaces) above the lobby. Driveway access is also provided from 14th St. and loading is
provided via a rear alley accessible from 14th Place.
https://www.midtownatl.com/_files/do...nda-091019.pdf

Old September 9th, 2019, 03:41 PM   #2354
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Not surprised. If anything it's likely just a matter of time before those low and mid-rise structures near Piedmont Park are bought up for larger towers. I should hope the City at least keeps those fronting Piedmont Ave. to a specific height restriction to keep it possible for taller towers behind them to secure some park views.

This is why Atlanta needs more parks and civic space in areas where residential towers can blossom. People are craving urbanity but they want it coupled with great parks and plazas that create inspiring places. But they need to do this within the urban core, and not just rely on the new west side reservoir park.

Ric 0_0 liked this post
Old September 19th, 2019, 06:34 PM   #2355
Tered

9/18/2019
Downtown’s latest hotel debuts, overlooking Georgia Aquarium

Atlanta is booming, and this hotel’s location puts it smack in the middle of some of the city’s crown-jewel attractions
By Josh [email protected] Sep 18, 2019

The Marietta Street lodge replaces parking lots and a two-story midcentury building. Image courtesy of Songy Highroads/Hyatt Hotels Corporation. The lighting scheme, at night, as shown in renderings.

Quote:
Hyatt Place Centennial Park has officially opened with 175 rooms at 300 Luckie Street, following about a year of construction, reps with developer Songy Highroads and Hyatt Hotels Corporation announced this week.

The 11-story hotel stands around the corner from Centennial Olympic Park and across the street from the Georgia Aquarium, joining four other lodges in the works or recently finished within a few blocks.

“Atlanta is booming,” enthused Songy Highroads’s COO Todd Nocerini in a prepared statement, “and this hotel’s location puts it smack in the middle of some of the city’s crown-jewel attractions.”
Full Article - https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/9/18...ium-centennial
Old September 20th, 2019, 04:52 PM   #2356
shivtim

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
I should hope the City at least keeps those fronting Piedmont Ave. to a specific height restriction to keep it possible for taller towers behind them to secure some park views.
There is a height limit on Piedmont, and it's enforced. For example the proposal for condos on the current location of Skate Escape was rejected by the NPU because it was too tall.

GunnerJacket liked this post
shivtim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 05:10 PM   #2357
Cincydawg

Yeah, they asked for a variance and didn't get it. They wanted 7 stories. There is one 30 year old condo building higher than four floors on Piedmont near the park. It was grandfathered in.
Old September 28th, 2019, 09:16 PM   #2358
gwiATLeman

The new SCAD dorm is complete and looking better than most people thought possible.

https://twitter.com/Buckhead/status/1177221544038346753

Ric 0_0 liked this post
Old September 30th, 2019, 09:03 PM   #2359
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiATLeman View Post
The new SCAD dorm is complete and looking better than most people thought possible.
Perhaps, but only because that started with a decidedly low standard. The result is, IMO, not much more architecturally appealing than a Racetrac gas station with masonry touch-ups on the facade. It's still a mechanically cold and sterile facade with nary any celebratory design anywhere on the building. Again, the exact opposite you'd expect from a College of Design! What's worse is that this structure has such a prominent location at the edge of the connector.

Between this building and the awful 70's tower with the "peach" at the bend of 85 and Peachtree those make for two atrocious structures to usher travelers to our fair city. I'm not asking for the Syndey Opera House here but c'mon folks, let's try for more than the bare minimum for a change!
Old October 12th, 2019, 03:39 PM   #2360
Cincydawg

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/10/1...on-projections

8.6 million in the metro in 30 years, probably more as other counties are added. Traffic might get interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
atlanta, buckhead, georgia (us state), midtown