DISCUSS: Best North American Skylines - Page 552 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers
» Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 20th, 2019, 12:13 AM   #11021
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1447

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Yet Montreal has slightly bigger buildings at the top, more 500'-600'+ buildings in all, better architectural variety, better color/materials variety, and essentially the equivalent skyline density. You're giving too much credit for a sea of "towers" that only look tall because they aren't in the context of actual tall buildings! Many of the ones jutting out above the crowd in Vancouver are still under 500'. That just isn't the case for pretty much any other Top 20 North American skyline.
Everyone has their own opinion which might be different than yours. The title of this thread is the "best" North American skylines, not the "Skylines with most 500' buildings". No point in pushing your opinion on other people. You have already shared your own reasoning quite a few number of times. Now may be you can sit back, relax and hear other people's thoughts too.

If someone likes a sea of towers with smaller height, it's their choice. You are free to make your own list. You don't have to contradict them every time their choice is different; this is not an election!
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2019, 12:20 AM   #11022
DZH22

Likes (Received): 3060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
Everyone has their own opinion which might be different than yours. The title of this thread is the "best" North American skylines, not the "Skylines with most 500' buildings". No point in pushing your opinion on other people. You have already shared your own reasoning quite a few number of times. Now may be you can sit back, relax and hear other people's thoughts too.

If someone likes a sea of towers with smaller height, it's their choice. You are free to make your own list. You don't have to contradict them every time their choice is different; this is not an election!
We have been contradicting each other as part of a back and forth. Obviously stats has to be an important piece of the "best skyline" conversation. For instance, if it was based on looks alone I wouldn't even put Toronto in the Top 10 and I would get (deservedly) reamed out for it. If you ignore stats completely you could find a way to justify a lego skyline over NYC. (Oh so they're only like 2 feet tall? Well I think they look better!)

A Chicagoan liked this post
DZH22 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 12:27 AM   #11023
Abhishek901

Well, that's your opinion again. For you, if Toronto is out of top 10, then it's fine. You are not the first person saying that and you won't be the last one either. People in thread also had NYC at second or below rank. Everyone is free to decide their own criteria for judging a skyline. If data doesn't mean anything to them and looks is everything, so be it!

Old September 20th, 2019, 12:56 AM   #11024
DZH22

Quote:
Well, that's your opinion again. For you, if Toronto is out of top 10, then it's fine. You are not the first person saying that and you won't be the last one either. People in thread also had NYC at second or below rank. Everyone is free to decide their own criteria for judging a skyline. If data doesn't mean anything to them and looks is everything, so be it!
Actually for me, Toronto is 3rd, because it's a HUGE skyline. The fact that it is so much bigger than the skylines below it is why they are below it. I could pretend that Vancouver has a better skyline than Toronto, and you could (rightfully) point out that if you stuck the entire Vancouver skyline into the middle of Toronto, it would be a barely noticeable blip in Toronto's overall appearance. That's because Vancouver's tallest building wouldn't even make Toronto's top 25 at this point. How is that not just important, but literally the MOST important aspect of a skyline?

On the other hand, this guy keeps making blanket statements like "I have been to both Vancouver and Montreal and there is no comparison. Vancouver has a much more impressive skyline and is much more dense too." Stats show that this isn't the case. Stats = Context. Without stats, anybody can be swayed by a pretty picture. With stats, a blanket statement like "one city is way bigger/denser than another" can actually be disproven. Like hey, it's way bigger except that it isn't, and it has way more buildings except that it has virtually the same number of buildings. Stats are facts, and the best tool to counter a blanket opinion that masquerades as a factual statement.

Thorondor liked this post
Old September 20th, 2019, 01:27 AM   #11025
Abhishek901

Like someone mentioned previously, you may like big, tall women and someone else may like short, petite woman. Size is not the only criteria for many and for some it may not be a criteria at all.

Old September 20th, 2019, 01:49 AM   #11026
DZH22

Quote:
Like someone mentioned previously, you may like big, tall women and someone else may like short, petite woman. Size is not the only criteria for many and for some it may not be a criteria at all.
This is a terrible analogy for skylines. A better analogy would have been to compare men and not women, because taller men actually have lots of advantages in terms of finding mates and even getting paid more.

However, it's still a terrible analogy. Because really, what on earth does a pretty woman have to do with a SKYLINE? You could think a "short petite" skyline like Providence is pretty but that doesn't mean it's a good SKYLINE or comparable to substantially larger ones.

In fact, the analogy is so bad that to put it in proper terms, it would be like saying Quebec has a better skyline than Toronto because Quebec is prettier. It's preposterous. There's a reason I didn't respond to it the first time around. It's not even like comparing apples to oranges. It's like comparing apples to airplanes.

At the end of the day, one can prefer the looks of City A while still admitting that City B has the better skyline. I do it all the time with Toronto. If you completely ignore the unbiased data of height, mass, and quantity, then you are ignoring the entire essence of what makes up a skyline. You would also be doing your own city the biggest disservice of all.
Old September 20th, 2019, 04:36 AM   #11027
DZH22

From flickr. Go here for a perfect resize that I can't get from flickr.
https://archboston.com/community/ind...25#post-357825

SAT_6742 copy by Steve Tocci, on Flickr

Last edited by DZH22; September 20th, 2019 at 05:41 AM.
Old September 20th, 2019, 04:39 AM   #11028
DZH22

Another good one from the same guy. As with the above pic, the optimum resize is here.
https://archboston.com/community/ind...25#post-357824

SAT_6708 copy by Steve Tocci, on Flickr

streetscapeer liked this post

Last edited by DZH22; September 20th, 2019 at 05:42 AM.
Old September 20th, 2019, 04:58 AM   #11029
Joakim3

Likes (Received): 689

While none of us like Baltimore's lack of relative height. In terms of architecturally diversity. It's skyline has just about with every possible shape and era represented, and coupled with that harbor... man does it make a lasting photo impression.

Sandlot, Baltimore
by Marc Szarkowski, on Flickr

Baltimore
by John Lucia, on Flickr

Baltimore by night
by graham_alton, on Flickr

DZH22, micrip liked this post
Joakim3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 05:07 AM   #11030
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Baltimore by John Lucia, on Flickr
I remember driving up here by mistake and being wowed by the dynamite view. At least, I think it was here. It was a big hill and similar vista. Do you know where this is taken from, and if the neighborhood is considered relatively safe? I'd like to go back next time I'm in Baltimore. Also I blew up this pic in the quote because it's definitely the money shot.
Old September 20th, 2019, 05:52 AM   #11031
andegwa

Likes (Received): 4935

Quote:
I remember driving up here by mistake and being wowed by the dynamite view. At least, I think it was here. It was a big hill and similar vista. Do you know where this is taken from, and if the neighborhood is considered relatively safe? I'd like to go back next time I'm in Baltimore. Also I blew up this pic in the quote because it's definitely the money shot.
Looks like it's taken from the east of the city, somewhere around Highlandtown, Fed Hill or Canton.. though most likely Canton. the neighborhood is relatively safe with plenty of nice restaurants and amenities, and a square with good array of bars.
Old September 20th, 2019, 06:48 AM   #11032
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by andegwa View Post
Looks like it's taken from the east of the city, somewhere around Highlandtown, Fed Hill or Canton.. though most likely Canton. the neighborhood is relatively safe with plenty of nice restaurants and amenities, and a square with good array of bars.
Thanks I found it! It's called Patterson Park.
Old September 20th, 2019, 04:57 PM   #11033
elliot

Likes (Received): 134

VNS Boston pics (luv the density).

Reminds me a bit, from some angles of an unidentified west coast city ;-)
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 06:33 PM   #11034
andegwa

Likes (Received): 4935

Quote:
Thanks I found it! It's called Patterson Park.
Lol Yup.. Patterson Park is bounded almost entirety by the neighborhoods I mentioned ... Soo close!
Old September 20th, 2019, 06:54 PM   #11035
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 14443

Montreal

Courtesy of tappwater

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; September 20th, 2019 at 07:07 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 07:01 PM   #11036
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 14257

Guadalajara is definitely on my "to visit" list.

I think people greatly underestimate Vancouver's skyline. I think I would rank it as the second best in Canada... it's in a pretty tight race with Montreal. It might not have height but my god there are a lot of high-rises. And the setting with the ocean and the mountains is, of course, one of the world's finest.

In the 14 years I've been on SSC, one thing I have learned is that "Favourite Skyline" threads are often heavily influenced by:"What's my favourite city", 'What's my favourite country", and of course "What city do I live in". That is only human nature, of course. So I don't think we really should take other people's favourites lists too seriously, because clearly there are many factors at work in our selections.

My Life Thus Far.... Toronto and beyond
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 07:13 PM   #11037
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 14443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post

I think people greatly underestimate Vancouver's skyline. It might not have height but my god there are a lot of high-rises. And the setting with the ocean and the mountains is, of course, one of the world's finest.
Agree. It has its weak points just like all but a few North American skylines but it more than makes up for it in other areas. What impressed me was how 'built out' their downtown looks and feels.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 07:30 PM   #11038
elliot

Likes (Received): 134

Hate to say it but 1000 de la Gauchetière is (gauche) not a good looking skyscraper (materials, clumsy pyramid). Always bugged me... Montreal needs a new tallest (realize the 200m-ish limitations) with some pizzazz equal to the cool urban vibe.

lovecities888 liked this post
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 07:39 PM   #11039
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Montreal

Courtesy of tappwater
I love Montreal but I think this pic is like 10 years old. The left side in particular is much more built out today.

If Montreal could break its height limit with a bonafide 225m+ building (not counting the side spire on 1250 Rene Levesque) it would seriously challenge my city's skyline for "Best of the extreme Northeast" or whatever superlative we can give for it. End of the day, its skyline is better than Boston's financial district's but Boston has those 3 taller towers off in the Back Bay that tip the scales back in its favor. Montreal's skyline would definitely leap up the charts if it could go 700'+.

Old September 20th, 2019, 07:41 PM   #11040
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 14257

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot View Post
Hate to say it but 1000 de la Gauchetière is (gauche) not a good looking skyscraper (materials, clumsy pyramid). Always bugged me... Montreal needs a new tallest (realize the 200m-ish limitations) with some pizzazz equal to the cool urban vibe.

I'm not fond of it, either. It's very 1980's PoMo style, which is probably one of my least favourite styles. I loved PoMo in 1983, but got tired of it really quickly. Sort of like novelty shaped towers that look like household appliances. They were fun at first but now look tacky.
But overall I like Montreal's skyline; its a bit dated looking but has nice variety.

My Life Thus Far.... Toronto and beyond
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chicago, toronto